Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Cardboard Box A posted:

There are 3 great Bob The Angry Flower comics and this is one of them:

Yeah I dunno if this thread got moved to GBS or went through a time warp to 2004 or what, but for a couple pages there was a whooole lot people defending some really terrible poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Egypt seems to be having some trouble getting the Sinai under control.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/16/us-egypt-sinai-idUSBRE88F02P20120916 posted:

Islamist militants attacked Egypt's security headquarters in northern Sinai on Sunday with a barrage of mortar bombs and machinegun fire and fought police elsewhere in the desert region, wounding three conscripts, security officials said.

The militants had climbed onto the roofs of buildings across from the headquarters building in al-Arish and fired rocket-propelled grenades, one security source said.

Machinegun battles were still being fought in the streets around the building, witnesses said.

About 30 armored personnel carriers backed by helicopters fought militants in the town of Sheikh Zuwaid, 30 km (18.6 miles) east of al-Arish on the Mediterranean coast.

Egyptian forces last month began their biggest security sweep in decades in Sinai after militants killed 16 border guards on August 5 in the most deadly attack since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel.

The government sent hundreds of troops with tanks, armoured vehicles and helicopters to Sinai in a joint operation with police to raid militant hideouts, arrest suspects and seize weapons.

Disorder has spread in Sinai since Hosni Mubarak was ousted in a popular uprising, with Islamist militants stepping up attacks on Egyptian security forces and the Israeli border. Egypt's new president, Mohamed Mursi, has vowed to restore order.

Bedouin tribes in the area have long complained of neglect by central government.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I recall the other day some newly registered account of obviously an older poster poo-pooed this as the obvious best course of action when I mentioned it:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-orders-family-non-essential-staff-leave-tunis-211016280.html?_esi=1

quote:

U.S. orders embassy staff to leave Tunis, Khartoum

WASHINGTON/KHARTOUM (Reuters) - The United States ordered non-essential staff to leave its embassies in Tunisia and Sudan on Saturday after both diplomatic posts were attacked and Khartoum rejected a U.S. request to send a platoon of Marines to bolster security at its mission there.

"Given the security situation in Tunis and Khartoum, the U.S. State Department has ordered the departure of all family members and non-emergency personnel from both posts, and issued parallel travel warnings to American citizens," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement.

The U.S. embassies in Tunis and Khartoum were attacked on Friday by protesters infuriated by a widely disseminated anti-Islamic film, made in the United States, that insults the Prophet Mohammad and has provoked a violent reaction across the Muslim world.

Four people were killed and 46 injured in the assault on the U.S. Embassy in Tunis, according to a hospital official in the city.

In Khartoum, around 5,000 people protesting against the film stormed the German embassy before breaking into the U.S. mission on Friday. They also attacked the British embassy and at least two people were killed in clashes with police, according to state media.

Letting this poo poo play out without us as an easy target is going to be a lot smarter and cheaper in the long-run than us killing a ton of civilians. Also, it will involve us killing a lot less civilians, which is always good.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ReindeerF posted:

I recall the other day some newly registered account of obviously an older poster poo-pooed this as the obvious best course of action when I mentioned it:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-orders-family-non-essential-staff-leave-tunis-211016280.html?_esi=1
Letting this poo poo play out without us as an easy target is going to be a lot smarter and cheaper in the long-run than us killing a ton of civilians. Also, it will involve us killing a lot less civilians, which is always good.

Ordered departure is not the same as a straight up evacuation which seemed to be what you were calling for before.

I mean don't get me wrong ordered departure is a significant event (which is why I posted it on the last page) but it's not like the embassies are going to be completely vacated.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What I was talking about before was getting people out of our embassies and, if things become bad enough, abandoning them completely. Right now you might have a semantic case, if the eventual evacuation is ordered you won't - and that's the logical conclusion of this chain of events, just like this was. Who cares, though? You start by pulling out non-essential personnel. When the crucial info and equipment is secure and things aren't better, you yank the rest.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultras Lazio posted:

Secular muslims and Ex-muslim are still going to fight for modernisation even if continuously betrayed by western useful idiots.

Those western useful idiots like the U.S., France, Britain and Italy do gently caress everything up for their own personal profit don't they?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ReindeerF posted:

What I was talking about before was getting people out of our embassies and, if things become bad enough, abandoning them completely. Right now you might have a semantic case, if the eventual evacuation is ordered you won't - and that's the logical conclusion of this chain of events, just like this was. Who cares, though? You start by pulling out non-essential personnel. When the crucial info and equipment is secure and things aren't better, you yank the rest.

I'm not trying to pick an argument here, but total evacuation is not the "logical conclusion" of ordered departure, just like authorized departure doesn't automatically "logically lead" to ordered departure. Ordered departure isn't simply a step on the way to total evacuation in order to give people a day or two to secure material or whatever before everyone leaves, facilities can and have operated for weeks at a time under ordered departure, because the mission essential folks that get left behind still have important work to do.

Completely evacuating an embassy due to strife or some other emergency (as opposed to a planned shut down due to a break in diplomatic relations) is something that happens rather infrequently, because of that important work that still needs to get done. If you subtract out the historical instances when the evacuation was because a country was being overrun a la Saigon in '75 the number of instances gets quite a bit smaller.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Iran confirms it has a military presence in Syria

quote:

Iran's Revolutionary Guards commander says its troops in Syria

Members of Iran's elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) are in Syria providing non-military assistance and Iran may get involved militarily if Syria comes under attack, its commander said on Sunday.

The statement is the first official acknowledgement from a senior military commander that Iran has a military presence on the ground in Syria where an uprising has left tens of thousands dead since it began 18 months ago.

Western countries and Syrian opposition groups have accused Iran of providing weapons and expertise to Syrian armed forces and have suspected an Iranian military presence inside the country. Iran has denied this.

The Islamic Republic has backed President Bashar al-Assad since the crisis began and regards his rule as a key part of its axis of resistance against Israel and Sunni Arab states.

"A number of members of the Qods Force are present in Syria but this does not constitute a military presence," commander-in-chief of the IRGC Mohammad Ali Jafari said at a news conference on Sunday, Iranian news agency ISNA reported.

Qods is an IRGC unit set up to export Iran's ideology. It has been accused of plotting attacks inside Iraq since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

Jafari did not indicate how many members were in Syria but said they were providing "intellectual and advisory help".

"The IRGC is giving intellectual help and even financial assistance but there is no military presence," he said.

He also said that Iran would change its policy and offer military backing to Assad if Syria came under attack.

"I say specifically that if Syria came under military attack, Iran would also give military support but it ... totally depends on the circumstances," he said.

Iranian officials have said Tehran has supplied medical and humanitarian relief to Damascus but have denied all allegations of military involvement.

James W. Foley tweeted this in response

quote:

#FSA officer said 1 Iranian advisor worked w them in intel monitoring before he defected, more believable than tons Iranian sniper stories

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
^ ^ ^

World War III anyone?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

quote:

"A number of members of the Qods Force are present in Syria but this does not constitute a military presence," commander-in-chief of the IRGC Mohammad Ali Jafari said at a news conference on Sunday, Iranian news agency ISNA reported.

"The IRGC is giving intellectual help and even financial assistance but there is no military presence," he said.

:crossarms:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, the article is rather confused in that respect

quote:

The statement is the first official acknowledgement from a senior military commander that Iran has a military presence on the ground in Syria where an uprising has left tens of thousands dead since it began 18 months ago.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Brown Moses posted:

James W. Foley tweeted this in response

Pretty misleading headline?

What the hell is Reuters doing?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A starving cat in Homs apparently eating grass to survive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnAxjtlWxY

[edit] Maybe not starving, apparently eating grass is a cat thing (dog person here).

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 16, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The article has Iran admitting a number of its military are there, just in a "non-military capacity", only denying what they're doing not who they are.

They're "military advisors" much like the famous American ones in Vietnam

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

evilweasel posted:

The article has Iran admitting a number of its military are there, just in a "non-military capacity", only denying what they're doing not who they are.

I we're to believe the Iranians it's more like the U.S. ones in Iraq during the whirlwind war. Then again, I really don't, so...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's a misleading headline. Members of Iranian special forces are operating in Syria with the permission and support of the Iranian and Syrian governments.

There are conflicting claims in the article about if it is a military presence or not be inclined to treat it like one.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

[edit] Maybe not starving, apparently eating grass is a cat thing (dog person here).

Dogs, or at least pugs, sometimes eat grass, too. Or more like nibble it. Some say cats do it because it helps the digestion. I really don't know why our pugs did it, more evidence that pugs are not related to dogs I think...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've spotted what could be a new bomb, I'm struggling to ID it, especially with the row of bolts it has. Maybe a ODAB fuel-air bomb or RBK cluster bomb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2-74mIxAc

[edit] Apparently a BetAB 500kg penetration bomb.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 16, 2012

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Nenonen posted:

Dogs, or at least pugs, sometimes eat grass, too. Or more like nibble it. Some say cats do it because it helps the digestion. I really don't know why our pugs did it, more evidence that pugs are not related to dogs I think...

It makes them throw up, and helps with indigestion that way.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yeah I dunno if this thread got moved to GBS or went through a time warp to 2004 or what, but for a couple pages there was a whooole lot people defending some really terrible poo poo.

I don't think many were "defending" it. Folks who were condemning it were asked what they would offer as alternative and not much was given beyond "killing civilians is bad".

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Pretty remarkable 20-minute video uploaded yesterday:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=21e_1347750798

-A group of apparent sunni jihadis overrun a hilltop installation in what appears like a relatively competent infantry assault. They take at least one casualty, seemingly in their stride. Then we get to see them burn one tank and drive off with another. There's some dead enemies shown, some prisoners, and some war loot at the end.
I don't have Arabic enough to get much of what's being said, (other than the Quran recitation at the very beginning of the video and the odd prayer said by the cameraman). There's some signage and words relayed - is any of it seemingly significant or remarkable?

Invalido fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 16, 2012

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

A starving cat in Homs apparently eating grass to survive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnAxjtlWxY

There is something oddly meditative about this guy filming a cat and softly repeating "Besieged Homs, silver cat... The cat is eating grass... A cat of besieged Homs is eating grass...."

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My cat would devour my entire garden if he could spend a night there. Cats love plants.

Invalido posted:

Pretty remarkable 20-minute video uploaded yesterday:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=21e_1347750798

-A group of apparent sunni jihadis overrun a hilltop installation in what appears like a relatively competent infantry assault. They take at least one casualty, seemingly in their stride. Then we get to see them burn one tank and drive off with another. There's some dead enemies shown, some prisoners, and some war loot at the end.
I don't have Arabic enough to get much of what's being said, (other than the Quran recitation at the very beginning of the video and the odd prayer said by the cameraman). There's some signage and words relayed - is any of it seemingly significant or remarkable?

That was tense as gently caress. The death of the soldier was bizarre, dude gets shot, leaves the house and gets on a prayer position and waits for death :stare:

Mans fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 16, 2012

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EDIT: woops, sorry

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

I've spotted what could be a new bomb, I'm struggling to ID it, especially with the row of bolts it has. Maybe a ODAB fuel-air bomb or RBK cluster bomb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2-74mIxAc

[edit] Apparently a BetAB 500kg penetration bomb.

:psyduck: Are they all so blase about UAX?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Phuzzy posted:

:psyduck: Are they all so blase about UAX?

I've many more examples
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/two-examples-of-filming-unexploded-s-5.html
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/two-more-examples-of-how-not-to-handle.html
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/how-not-to-handle-unexploded-ordnance.html

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Precisely. General Westmoreland did a bang up job against the Viet Cong. :circlefap: On a serious note however, what is possibility of this blowing up into another conflict between West and Middle-East?

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 16, 2012

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
It's situations like this that make me laugh when people say that the Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same. I can't even imagine what John McCain/Palin would be doing right now if they had won in 2008.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alex DeLarge posted:

It's situations like this that make me laugh when people say that the Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same. I can't even imagine what John McCain/Palin would be doing right now if they had won in 2008.

If my facebook feed is any indication "bomb[ing] those libyan fuckers back to the stone age, because all they understand is force."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

truth masseuse posted:

Precisely. General Westmoreland did a bang up job against the Viet Cong. :circlefap: On a serious note however, what is possibility of this blowing up into another conflict between West and Middle-East?

Very little. NATO has been reluctantly to become involved in the Syrian civil war primarily because of Russian support for Assad's regime. There is limited support for the Free Syrian Army in the form of intelligence and nonlethal military aid from the West (primarily from the US, UK, France, and Germany).

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Crasscrab posted:

Very little. NATO has been reluctantly to become involved in the Syrian civil war primarily because of Russian support for Assad's regime. There is limited support for the Free Syrian Army in the form of intelligence and nonlethal military aid from the West (primarily from the US, UK, France, and Germany).

But with Russia's continued support of Syria, and Iran sending in "advisors" or whatever you want to call their forces that are active there. If Assad continues to hold power, and this civil war stretches out for another year, would NATO probably get involved at that point? I imagine another year of this and Syria's neighbors could be dealing with a humanitarian crisis.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

truth masseuse posted:

But with Russians continued support of Syria, and Iran sending in "advisors" or whatever you want to call their forces that are active there. If Assad continues to hold power, and this civil war stretches out for another year, would NATO probably get involved at that point? I imagine another year of this and Syrians neighbors could be dealing with a humanitarian crisis.

It really depends on how events play out, and how prominent Iranian involvement becomes. If Iran starts sending in regular army battalions to back up Assad it would probably be too much to ignore, but there's really no appetite whatsoever in NATO countries to intervene in Syria. Even Turkey's population is against intervening according to polling there, and their government has has by far been the biggest advocate of Assad's downfall.

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/141790/majority-of-turks-against-country%C3%ADs-intervention-into-syria.html

It's hard to predict the future in wars. I remain convinced Assad will fall, and NATO intervention would probably speed that event, but I could see the war dragging on well into 2013 at this point without any intervention. Also, the region is already dealing with a humanitarian crisis, there's got to be close to a quarter of a million refugees from the fighting at this moment, and that's going to reach half a million real soon.

New Division fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 16, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think almost everyone considering Syria does so with a sigh and a weary shake of the head now because even if Assad leaves tomorrow the country is still going to be a massive shithole for... man, I don't even know how long. Years, definitely.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Crasscrab posted:

I'd say it was more of a combination of factors than just the Russian presence, not to say it isn't a big factor - but I'd say its the total lack of enthusiasm both at a government and the general public level for anything that could turn into another Iraq that's keeping NATO out of it. Libya only happened from a NATO perspective because they were able to effect the outcome through bombing alone - there is much more scope for getting sucked in and bogged down in a Syrian conflict.

e: Plus of course there is a good chance that whatever faction NATO throws its lot in with will turn around bite the hand that feeds it shortly after.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If my facebook feed is any indication "bomb[ing] those libyan fuckers back to the stone age, because all they understand is force."

I don't understand how so many of you have friends who say stuff like that. I must be the most sheltered man ever. I only hear this disgusting poo poo when I talk to my dad.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

lil mortimer posted:

I don't understand how so many of you have friends who say stuff like that. I must be the most sheltered man ever. I only hear this disgusting poo poo when I talk to my dad.

I grew up in the Deep South and still live there. If I restricted myself to being friends with reasonable people I wouldn't have many friends. :)

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Fog Tripper posted:

I don't think many were "defending" it. Folks who were condemning it were asked what they would offer as alternative and not much was given beyond "killing civilians is bad".
That's because you don't need to offer an alternative beyond "Don't do that thing." What should we do instead of blowing up civilians wantonly to "get" our "man"? Instead, we should not do that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

lil mortimer posted:

Well, that particular guy is someone I knew like 20 years ago and have no current contact with; I keep him on my feed solely for insight into the conservative id (he un-ironically posts Ramirez cartoons on a regular basis).

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/7365/was-the-arab-spring-really-worth-it_the-fascinatin

quote:

The voyeuristic perspective ought not be missed either. The Arab “Spring” (a misnomer to begin with for reasons that require their own list) is like a spectacle. But not any spectacle. It is a spectacle in which “we” the democrats and “developed” world watch the “others” trying to catch up, despite so many efforts to support their oppressors. Until last week, the voyeurism was sympathetic, even if patrimonial or patronizing. But after the recent events, the voyeurism and subsequent reactions to the violence that killed a US Ambassador in Libya turned into something else. It recast the entire spectacle in terms and imagery reminiscent of what we are used to observing in the center’s gaze towards the periphery: a sense of amazement and intrigue that can under certain circumstances quickly turn into something associated with zoology. Was it really worth it to let these creatures out of their cages? After all, look at what they are doing. Only now do we know that fighting for one’s dignity may not have been worthwhile because a bunch of fanatics did what they did.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Suddenly, I feel like CNN just reading tweets and loving around with holograms might be preferable to them actually trying to report.

• Locked thread