Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but what can you actually do if they write down that they are (intending to) hire junior guys and acquire other companies for you to lead on, and then don't do it?

Nothing, and that kind of stuff won't be written. But since we are actively hiring now I can at least see within a month if they are acting on that. At the minimum I can just move on as originally intended.

Sheep posted:

A killer offer for however long it takes them to hire his replacement at a lower total cost, maybe.

Certainly plausible, but to be fair they have a CCIE with 20 years experience here and they prefer I take all the sales engineering meetings and he only works on stuff from existing relationships he has with clients. I expected to hand off all of my projects to him and they said they would have preferred to 1099 me.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have reason to trust that they are sincere and it's something that you feel comfortable doing then you might as well stay put, I think I'd go slightly mad trying to keep an ear to the ground on being replaced though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I have enough connections in the business at this point to be able to recover quickly in that event.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Also I feel like I'm either taking crazy pills or missing a trick, our service team are getting their knickers in a twist because they essentially want our phone system to act as a people management system. The voip product we used prior had something like 5 statuses you could set yourself to (Online, Lunch, Out the office, etc) and they think it's worthless how the one we've got now has 3, they also want to solve the problem of our IP phones having a do no disturb function which overrides any incoming calls to which I can only offer switching everyone to softphones controlled by a web interface. (We have Cisco handsets not managed by a Cisco backend)

What I'm getting at is I need perspective from other businesses/contact centers, from a technology point of view how do you "track" when an rear end is in a seat and doing work, or when an rear end is not in a seat doing something else? Because the more this gets discussed the more things lean towards people management than actual phone features.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse posted:

Have you considered they were lying when they told you how widely deployed this shonky equipment is
I work for a tiny MSP in Ohio with and I have my name on about a dozen bugs of varying significance in widely deployed VoIP hardware and software.

Nothing to the level of a "c-level shitstorm" but a few of them were rather significant. I think skipdogg is on the mark, if your use case doesn't entirely match what's widely deployed you're a lot more likely to find those corner cases.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My first job was in a call center - you have Ready, Wrap, and Signout. Ready was taking calls, wrap was monitored closely by a supervisor as it was post-call entry execution, and signout had specific codes depending on why you were signing out. That should be enough to track peoples time via phone no?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sheep posted:

A killer offer for however long it takes them to hire his replacement at a lower total cost, maybe.

The market for good senior engineers at VARs and resellers is tight and the ramp up time is high, so that basically never happens.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pendent posted:

That's sort of what they've been telling us. They've been doing a hardware appliance forever without issues but these new virtualized appliances are fairly new and we're told there's not been anybody else that wants to run VLANs or LACP through them. It seems reasonably plausible.

I was going to say VLAN support seems like a pretty basic piece of functionality to at least test "does this work even a little bit at all?" for. But then I remembered this big old SeaMicro (no not SuperMicro, it was some blade company AMD bought and subsequently shitcanned) we wanted to repurpose for a nice dense virtual lab environment at a past job.

We spent a bunch of time on it and while VMs would boot fine, they could never communicate over that network with anything. Finally I opened a support ticket and they responded "oh ya that's not gonna work. We wrote our own network stack and it doesn't support ARP. All the blade MACs are hard coded in a lookup table and it can never learn more".

:wtc:

So yeah never mind, I can believe they just didn't think to try VLANs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Super Slash posted:

What I'm getting at is I need perspective from other businesses/contact centers, from a technology point of view how do you "track" when an rear end is in a seat and doing work, or when an rear end is not in a seat doing something else? Because the more this gets discussed the more things lean towards people management than actual phone features.

Who the gently caress cares if they are salaried and their line manager is happy? If they are in a call centre or support role then the systems they use daily will have a way to do utilisation reporting in a much slicker way than a telephone status.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I was going to say VLAN support seems like a pretty basic piece of functionality to at least test "does this work even a little bit at all?" for. But then I remembered this big old SeaMicro (no not SuperMicro, it was some blade company AMD bought and subsequently shitcanned) we wanted to repurpose for a nice dense virtual lab environment at a past job.

We spent a bunch of time on it and while VMs would boot fine, they could never communicate over that network with anything. Finally I opened a support ticket and they responded "oh ya that's not gonna work. We wrote our own network stack and it doesn't support ARP. All the blade MACs are hard coded in a lookup table and it can never learn more".

Holy poo poo, that's incredible :stare:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Docjowles posted:

I can say from experience that Brocade's acquisition of Vyatta was purely for the potential to virtualize routing for NFV and SDN, and that they had little to no testing of their releases on hardware... so I was filing bug reports on real-world BGP crash bugs.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Who the gently caress cares if they are salaried and their line manager is happy? If they are in a call centre or support role then the systems they use daily will have a way to do utilisation reporting in a much slicker way than a telephone status.

Sepist posted:

My first job was in a call center - you have Ready, Wrap, and Signout. Ready was taking calls, wrap was monitored closely by a supervisor as it was post-call entry execution, and signout had specific codes depending on why you were signing out. That should be enough to track peoples time via phone no?

The problem is their management is in on this and super duper important to them. Like they want/need to know how long someone has been doing something (say time on break) how many answered/missed calls, total call time... blah blah the metrics go on, except the fact most of the company are ex-competitor which was dominated by metrics which we want to get away from. There is a simple queue monitor along with reporting tools but its not enough for them to manage their team apparently, personally I think they were spoiled by the rich features of the previous product which is a shame as I was eventually pressured to replace it with something a lot cheaper (it did cost us fortune to use truthfully).

I suppose really I need to drag it out of them what they want to ultimately accomplish, the sales team seem get along fine with it and they actually are governed by metrics (call time I think). I had to sanity check with my wife who works in an energy company call center who said their agents literally only get log in/out with auto call answering, I was starting to lose it when I was challenged about softphone use how the headset will ring and a screen pop will appear isn't enough to display a call is coming through "If I'm talking to someone else with my headset on the desk".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did call centre work for a summer and they collected metrics but it was a higher end retailer so they didn't care unless customers started having problems with the service provided. It worked the same way though - beep in your ear, call comes through. No screen popping as this was about 11 years ago. You had to go "not ready" if you couldn't take a call.

If you're after a contact centre then look at Amazon Connect, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/connect/latest/userguide/working-metrics.html, you'll have to roll a lot of it yourself though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Docjowles posted:

I worked on these at a contract I worked last year!

Yeah, they are frighteningly terrible.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

I'm stuck on this. Company wants to implement 2fa (yay!) But the company doesn't issue out company phones, so everyone has a private phone.
I can imagine users not wanting to use their private phone for 2fa or other business purposes.

The company doesn't want to give out physical tokens. Am I missing something? Don't know how to proceed.

My company did this late last year, with no provision whatsoever for people that didn't want to put this on their phone or didn't have a smart phone. I just set up winauth on my home and work PCs, and use that when logging into whatever that requires 2FA.

I routinely don't bring my phone to work with me, if they want to set up 2fa to log into the work machines, they're going to have to give me a device to handle the 2FA. I tried the push notifications on my phone for about two weeks, and it more than doubled my battery consumption (to be fair, it is an older phone).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

I would expect mileage reimbursement if I was driving for work. Your employer should be paying a phone stipend or paying for your cell phone if you have to use it for work.
I don't reimburse people for their shoes or pants, and I require both in the office. An app on a cell phone incurs zero additional wear and tear, so your car analogy is bunk on that angle too.

If they don't have a smart phone, I'll give them an RSA token, but if they have a smart phone why wouldn't they install the app, unless they just want to be difficult. If that's the case, what else are they going to be difficult about in the future?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MANime in the sheets posted:

I routinely don't bring my phone to work with me

??????

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah, how do you entertain yourself while making GBS threads on company time?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

adorai posted:

I don't reimburse people for their shoes or pants, and I require both in the office. An app on a cell phone incurs zero additional wear and tear, so your car analogy is bunk on that angle too.

If they don't have a smart phone, I'll give them an RSA token, but if they have a smart phone why wouldn't they install the app, unless they just want to be difficult. If that's the case, what else are they going to be difficult about in the future?

Except a lot of those apps kill your battery time, that's impacting their personal time without paying them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry but the argument for a 2FA app draining battery is loving hilarious.

Does the company bill you for using their power to charge your phone?

I actually lean towards not requiring employees to use their own devices for work, especially without reimbursement, but come on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

2FA apps do not drain the battery lmao

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I once watched a guy get threatened with arrest with arrest by a cop for daring to charge his phone at the DMV.

Not totally relevant just thought I'd toss that out there.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sometimes I just don't remember to grab it on my way out the door. It's not a long commute, and I've got everything I need on my computer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

2FA apps do not drain the battery lmao

Well, when I leave work for the day I usually have 70 or 80% battery life left. When I had the 2FA set up, it was around 40%. When I uninstalled that, it went back up. Maybe it was just the push authentication (I have 2FA token apps for other things on my phone), but it was definitely the app.

Internet Explorer posted:

No, but they haven't provided me a charger to keep at work, either.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Except a lot of those apps kill your battery time, that's impacting their personal time without paying them.

CloFan posted:

The TP in this building is really bad. I just do my business at home after my coffee before coming in. I flake off plenty without adding an extended poop break.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 10, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was going off of the idea that they did. If not, whatever, but if they did and someone had an objection to that, it's valid. I've had phones that struggle to make it through the day without any help.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My previous company required 2fa.

I just gave the system my google voice number and got my SMSs that way. v0v

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have Duo, Microsoft authenticator, and RSA soft token running on my phone and my battery is fine.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thank you guys for your input regarding 2fa.
It's really helpful!
My boss is now at least checking with the higher ups to see if we can offer a token.
I think most people here are ok with installing the Microsoft authentication app. But I saw a problem with anyone who would object to that since it's their personal phone.
I cant force them. With a Token, I at least can give people that option.

Edit: Turns out my boss actually ignored my advice and only made a note of it. He went ahead and tried to get users to install the app for 2fa. His argument: If people want to read their work mail they need to deal with it.

The 1st user he approached told him to gently caress off with forcing her to install an app on her private phone. Lectured him that she didn't want to use her private phone and that he can't ask this of people, he needs to provide something else. Now he's sending out an e-mail to his bosses and is now talking to me about how their needs to be a second solution for people who don't want to use their phones.
This is amazing.

Thank you lady for having a backbone and telling him to go gently caress himself with his 2fa.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 10, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CloFan posted:

I'm doing it right now!

Of course, I get a monthly stipend for my phone. They pay me to poop at work while surfing the forums!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

adorai posted:

You sound like a manager that would charge their employee for water from the sink.

The main point of the original debate however was the fact that the boss in question didn't want to give the option of a token.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We have a choice here between a stipend of $50 / month but you have to list your cell number on the staff directory, or a flip phone with no data and no text that is required to be carried during all working hours.

I used to be strongly against giving out my cell number but people here really do respect my privacy and will send email instead of calling or texting after 5.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or publish a google voice number, so when you move on to a new company you won't get phone calls anymore, it's a one-click number regen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm seriously thinking about doing that when (please God let it be when) I get converted. $80 stipend or a company phone. On a cheap plan that would cover both my wife and I. Google voice would also mean I could turn it off on PTO / when I'm not on call.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sefal posted:

It's really helpful!
My boss is now at least checking with the higher ups to see if we can offer a token.
I think most people here are ok with installing the Microsoft authentication app. But I saw a problem with anyone who would object to that since it's their personal phone.

Edit: Turns out my boss actually ignored my advice and only made a note of it. He went ahead and tried to get users to install the app for 2fa. His argument: If people want to read their work mail they need to deal with it.

The 1st user he approached told him to gently caress off with forcing her to install an app on her private phone. Lectured him that she didn't want to use her private phone and that he can't ask this of people, he needs to provide something else. Now he's sending out an e-mail to his bosses and is now talking to me about how their needs to be a second solution for people who don't want to use their phones.
This is amazing.

Thank you lady for having a backbone and telling him to go gently caress himself with his 2fa.

Your boss doesn't seem too bright

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sefal posted:

It's really helpful!

This is amazing.

Your boss sounds dumb but honestly installing a 2FA app on your personal phone really isn't some horrible violation.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I agree that it isn't. But I do believe we need to at least offer another solution for people who don't want to that. If they say no. it's no and it's their right to decline to put stuff on their private phone.
I want to be able to offer them the choice of a physical token or app on the phone.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

What a wild day. So as soon as I walked in this morning I was swept into the EVPs office to talk about my resignation. They basically refused to let me go as I have been the driving factor behind a ton of sales on the network side here. They asked how much the other company is paying, which I threw a crazy number out and incredulously they offered a lower base (higher than the real base of other offer) + commissions + an improved bonus structure. Previously the sales guys refused parting with commission saying engineering doesn't deserve it, but now feet to the fire they are going to change their attitude if it means keeping me. My other major issue here is that they never hired a junior network engineer to take care of the smaller projects I scope out even though that was verbally agreed to in the interview. We have an open position so they will bring in guys who have networking experience at the minimum. And lastly when I told them this position is not particularly challenging to me, they told me some inside info that we are planning to acquire two companies this year and they would like me to lead the networking group they create out of it.

So obviously some of this is verbal, but I asked them to provide what they can in writing by tomorrow for me to consider it and we shook hands on it. If they are able to come through on all of that it would be nice to hang out here and see if it comes true, and it will take me out of this hate funk I got going on.
In other words, you threatened to leave, and the company promised the promises it had already promised you?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vulture Culture posted:

In other words, you threatened to leave, and the company promised the promises it had already promised you?

but with higher pay! :eng101:

Seriously though, you hate the job, the employers have shown their willingness to lie, and now there's a giant dollar sign shaped wedge between you and them. Leaving a job usually sucks and moving on can be hard, but don't back down now. You honestly sounded excited about your new opportunity. Don't throw that away for the shitheads that duped you into a role you despised.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 10, 2017

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Sefal posted:

His argument: If people want to read their work mail they need to deal with it.

I have exactly the same requirement for my work email and working from home. If I want those things, I have to install the RSA app on my personal phone. If I don't want work email or work from home, I don't need the app. I have no problem installing it because a. it doesn't impact my phone or anything in any way and b. picking up my email on my phone or working from home both save me time.

I totally agree with your boss.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I agree with him too, too loving bad, this isn't MDM controls or work container or restrictions/monitoring in any way. It's a 2FA app. Get the gently caress over it, my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
For people working from home. Absolutely.
But requiring a personal phone to access the desktop e-mail client in the office desktop with your phone for 2fa (app password so it's a one time thing). I can see people raising eyebrows for requiring this to access stuff they already have access too.