Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All three of them do, honestly. The first one's simple yet striking shadow makes it better than the other two, but there's nothing about the first one that couldn't be done by a fan with photoshop experience.

e: these posters are parsecs better than those posters.

:black101:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rawillkill posted:

In advance of the first Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster next week, here are the posters for Episode I, II and III.

And I'm going to give everyone present the most gigantic hard-on imaginable, even the women: Drew Struzan has hinted that he may be coming out of retirement to do an Episode VII poster.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

The posters for episodes 2 and 3 look like lovely fan made things

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think the last film I saw him in was this masterpiece of cinema:

With the obsession on teen lit and trilogies, Eragon was probably 5 years too early an adaptation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

True, but Eragon the books also sucked massive dick even by the very low standards of YA lit, so

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The best thing about Eragon was the Rifftrax where Disembaudio sang the end theme.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tom Hardy's looking a lot like Jeremy Renner there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mind the walrus posted:

True, but Eragon the books also sucked massive dick even by the very low standards of YA lit, so
Wasn't the author of that book financially abused by his parents or something hosed up like that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I know that he was 16 or so when he wrote the book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't the author of that book financially abused by his parents or something hosed up like that?

I'd believe it. The kid was like 16 or something when he wrote them and his parents made him do book tours to schools and poo poo after getting him a publishing deal (they were either publishers themselves, or at least had close ties to the industry). That they might have taken his money would be absolutely no surprise to me.

I wish the author no ill-will and the books always got the "Oh wow for a 16 year-old these are actually quite good" stamp of approval, but they also suck massive chode the way most writing by a 16 year-old does and nothing can change that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't know how true that is. He still lives with his parents. Basically they just bankrolled his whole writing career by publishing his stuff. Eragon is the awful too, and one of the more brazen Star Wars ripoffs out there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
His parents are Knopf?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also he only wrote the first book as a teenager, he was in his 20's when the second was published and the books progressively get worse and less defensible as the series goes on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Which is weird because Star Wars with dragons should be pretty fun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, now I want a movie with Space Dragons.

(they can fight the space dolphins)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The only remotely surprising or original thing about Eragon is that it's a fantasy series written by a home-schooled kid that isn't obnoxiously religious.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Hey, check out the opinions on this guy.

(TL;DR - Graphic design nerd compares posters of remakes to those of the original, reveals self to have horrendous taste.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, I saw that earlier and was wondering what the hell

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Black Lighter posted:

(TL;DR - Graphic design nerd compares posters of remakes to those of the original, reveals self to have horrendous taste.)

People with any connection to marketing, no matter how vague, are usually trashbag idiots

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Black Lighter posted:

:goonsay: Godzilla doesn't breathe fire, his breath is atomic!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

ruddiger posted:

drat, now I want a movie with Space Dragons.

(they can fight the space dolphins)

They don't want to fight no dragons, they just want some jeans!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Thank you.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, just because Godzilla can't brush his teeth doesn't mean he deserves to be insulted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Black Lighter posted:

Good lord, there are a lot of horror remakes. And it's extraordinary how, as someone who doesn't like horror, the older posters are all a lot more appealing.

Probably because those older horror movies are more appealing to me. They're less scream-y and feel less reliant on cheap scare tactics, which comes through in the posters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rawillkill posted:

In advance of the first Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster next week

I'm kinda hoping they go full on b-grade-sci-fi-classic-look

You know, that kinda thing.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Black Lighter posted:

BAD BAD BAD

Although from that post I learned that Aaron Eckhart tried to be McConaughey for a brief time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love that old Solaris poster.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

BAD BAD BAD

Although from that post I learned that Aaron Eckhart tried to be McConaughey for a brief time

Oh man, that's a terrible haircut Aaron Eckhart.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

CyRaptor posted:

Out of morbid curiousity I just watched a handful of trailers for this on Youtube and literally every shot of this character has his right hand in his, er, apparently-not-pocket. What exactly is the story there? I'm almost afraid to ask.

The main character is played by Jamel Debbouze (who also directs), who lost the use of his right arm. In his films his characters generally keep their right hand in their pockets so that this isn't immediately obvious unless you're actively looking for it. He's probably most well-known outside France as the slightly dim vegetable stall assistant in Amelie and as one of the four main characters in Days of Glory (where the arm thing is slightly more noticeable, since he can't use a rifle).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The unfair part of that link is using DVD covers as a poster. That Ring one is a prime example.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Black Lighter posted:

He's right more often than not, but loves terrible grungy photoshop filters for some dumb reason.

And dang this poster is great

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love the art but I think it'd benefit from losing or moving the Dr Zaius popup ad.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
That's the best part!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That original Day of the Living Dead poster is a masterpiece

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CyRaptor posted:

Out of morbid curiousity I just watched a handful of trailers for this on Youtube and literally every shot of this character has his right hand in his, er, apparently-not-pocket. What exactly is the story there? I'm almost afraid to ask.

Jamel Debbouze(the main actor and director)'s hand is paralyzed ever since an accident he had as a kid, he always keep it in his pocket as a result.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 8, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Android Bicyclist posted:

The best thing about Eragon was the Rifftrax where Disembaudio sang the end theme.

No it isn't.

I love Eragon. Its a horrible poo poo movie, and a horrible poo poo book series, but that film will never cease to bring me endless joy for one simple reason.

Every time they cut to the bad guy in the movie, there is a giant map behind him. Its the exact same map in the book, just blown up to size, like they didn't even try to make it look any better for the movie. But the map is constantly there in the background with the bad guy, apparently serving no purpose because its too ugly to be decorative and its just not a good map for an evil overloard because its just essentially a giant curtain. So it just seems like this incredibly useless map that they shoved in because "hey look its the same one from the books!"

Then we reach the end of the movie, and the bad guy says "I am gonna get you, Eragon" or whatever. And he rips the map off the wall, and behind the map is a dragon. That breathes fire at the camera.

Its pure bliss. I can' think about that movie without constantly giggling. Its like the robot knife from Avatar, times tenfold.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My memory of Eragon involves being stranded in New York and needing a warm place to hang out for a couple of hours. Eragon was the final screening of the night and I was the only person in the cinema, so I pulled up the arm rests and got a much needed two hours sleep. It's alright in my book for that - I've got no idea what the film is about though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its about dragons hiding behind maps for the entire running time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's about Jeremy Irons and Robert Carlyle chewing scenery because it earns a decent paycheck.