Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Rokea in owod (weresharks) were a lot of "what if werewolves but basically worse 100% of the time without a dedicated campaign," and got a little bit more material in Blood-Dimmed Tides, the best worst owod book.

To give credit where it's due, I thought the Rokea book was pretty interesting showing the underwater version of the Triat war and made playing a doofy wereshark seem neat.

Also it was written by McFarland and he had it so any time a Rokea goes on land they get a permanent hard-on because somebody decided they needed more Homids and are encouraged to use Animal Attraction as much as they can to this end. Oh, and they even get an XP bonus to raising Appearance to 3 so they can be conventionally attractive.

Two steps forward... like eight hundred back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kurieg posted:

If memory serves the unique bonus they got was "You're a giant loving elephant man, what else do you want?"

Well first off, I would like a more desirable partner than the Elephant Man, who has been dead for over 100 years

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Can we move the topic of conversation away from the furry poo poo toward something more tolerable? Mage, for example

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Would Beasts (the Primordial type) fit in oWoD? Nightmares finding their way into the real world through a sort of taking over of humans? Feeding off fear and establishing a hierarchy of power in the dreams of local monsters?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nofather posted:

Would Beasts (the Primordial type) fit in oWoD? Nightmares finding their way into the real world through a sort of taking over of humans? Feeding off fear and establishing a hierarchy of power in the dreams of local monsters?

It feels like you could kinda mangle nightmare-based Changelings into that if you wanted.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

oWoD doesn't fit with oWoD most or all of the time, tbh. Aesthetically it would absolutely be a fit

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The real question is, why.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This is just 'bull-headed' said funny.
(I'm aware it's also a golden calf / Baal reference)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

nofather posted:

That's just Changeling.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like you could kinda mangle nightmare-based Changelings into that if you wanted.

Mulva posted:

That's just Changeling.

I guess that fits, I don't know much about the Dreaming but I think they're 'real' fae that glom onto the world?

Was just curious if Beast could go back like that. Suppose the nightmare thing could be used to inspire new fears or a magical sense of horror to fight banality.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

If we can abandon Beast-chat, Woof-chat, and Mage-chat for a sec, I'm curious if anyone's had any success with any published adventures/modules by OPP or WW? So far, I've just raided them for stats, but that's it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

nofather posted:

I guess that fits, I don't know much about the Dreaming but I think they're 'real' fae that glom onto the world?

No, they are dream spirits. Specific dreams, like adventure and home and innocence. And of course violence and death and other nightmares. It's the fundamental reason why practical things gently caress with them and they need a shield from Banality. They are creatures of nonsense and impracticality. Dreams are great inspiration, but then you actually have to do something. They can never truly be real though. Without the shield of a human body they tend to go 'pop' in the real world. Beasts would just be....another Changeling. Or would eventually be wiped out by Banality.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

nofather posted:

I think bats were statted out in one of the WW20 books.

But that might be the 'Insect Wars' where the spider guys ended up fighting the insect people (shifters?). Which included bees, hornets, ants, termites, and locusts. Also moths.

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Insect_Wars

Find some weird things looking for inspiration for hosts.

The Shadow Lords might also have done enough the bring them back in some splatbooks, making up for slaughtering the last lingering trace of them when they conquered south america. I really don't remember there were like 50 books or something.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

bewilderment posted:

This is just 'bull-headed' said funny.
(I'm aware it's also a golden calf / Baal reference)

Don't look at me, I didn't do it. They were in War Against the Pure. I just wanted to have them in Sundered World because the domestication of Aurochs into cattle was a thing in the time and place it's set.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

The Shadow Lords might also have done enough the bring them back in some splatbooks, making up for slaughtering the last lingering trace of them when they conquered south america. I really don't remember there were like 50 books or something.

They (partially) redeemed Bat as a totem which had been serving the BSDs until then, in somewhat justified outrage.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

They (partially) redeemed Bat as a totem which had been serving the BSDs until then, in somewhat justified outrage.
Bat could become a quite powerful totem quite easily, you know, given the popularity of his living fictional avatar.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Thanks, I hate it. Where is this even from? Where are these truly garbage takes hiding?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Becoming a mage is cool and good though?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Captain Monkey posted:

Becoming a mage is cool and good though?

See you guys in another 3 pages then I guess.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Joe Slowboat posted:

Thanks, I hate it. Where is this even from? Where are these truly garbage takes hiding?

What's it like to not get jokes

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dawgstar posted:

To give credit where it's due, I thought the Rokea book was pretty interesting showing the underwater version of the Triat war and made playing a doofy wereshark seem neat.

Also it was written by McFarland and he had it so any time a Rokea goes on land they get a permanent hard-on because somebody decided they needed more Homids and are encouraged to use Animal Attraction as much as they can to this end. Oh, and they even get an XP bonus to raising Appearance to 3 so they can be conventionally attractive.

Two steps forward... like eight hundred back.

No one tell Wesp this or we're going to have to deal with some thick, long, shark dongs being in our faces every time we do that one quest in Bloodlines.

Honestly, having been told that i'm surprised some deviant hasn't done that by now.

Tulul posted:

Being huge assholes.

Also, they make more of themselves by kidnapping wolf-blooded children and performing a rite that makes them into a bullman. They then get inducted into the cult of themselves.

(They're pretty obviously inspired by the whole golden calf story from the Bible.)

To be fair, wasn't the kidnapping wolf children thing because their Pangaean god-entity may or may not have gone off and committed suicide to protect humanity without giving them long-lasting means to reproduce? There was a whole thing in the Dark Ages books about them showing up and having questions for all the locals when they noticed that they had possession of it's heart/whatever it was that could bring their creator back to life.

I mean, they're absolutely assholes in that they think that not being under their protection and being cast out is a worse fate than death, despite all the poo poo they do. But they're also assholes being played by the sun equivalent of Luna. Who basically has tricked them into forgetting what their real origins are.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 3, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

bewilderment posted:

What's it like to not get jokes

Sorry, I had heard this was an actual take, I'd just never seen it in the wild. My bad!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Can we move the topic of conversation away from the furry poo poo toward something more tolerable? Mage, for example

Yeah, we really need another 25-page slapfight about poo poo that ~12 people understand halfway and argue about, while the other ~20 people on this site scroll past as their eyes glaze over. :v:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

True, and beautiful.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Now I'm imagining some former promethean, one of the ghosty ones, becoming a sin eater with the giest being something from their time as a promethean they can't remember.

Your geist is pissed you couldn't even be human a week before dying.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Actually this reminds me of a question I had?

Do Prometheans, like, make a human soul internally when they complete the Pilgrimage, get the Second Dawn, etc? Because uh I'm imagining an incredibly obnoxious Tremere following a Promethean around and yoinking their new soul whenever the Magnum Opus is complete and it appears within them. And presumably laughing like Skeletor.

E: Also, post-Promethean humans seem like they'd almost inevitably have a lot of weird connections unless everyone a Promethean knew forgets about them or proves incapable of recognizing them as a human? Which I guess would make sense.
"Hey, is that Frank? Frank Frankenstein?"
"No, he had those big bolts and the weird-shaped head"
"True... I guess not!"

Meanwhile the tall guy at the cash register with the fake birth certificate is feeling creeped on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Joe Slowboat posted:

Actually this reminds me of a question I had?

Do Prometheans, like, make a human soul internally when they complete the Pilgrimage, get the Second Dawn, etc? Because uh I'm imagining an incredibly obnoxious Tremere following a Promethean around and yoinking their new soul whenever the Magnum Opus is complete and it appears within them. And presumably laughing like Skeletor.

Yes, they do, and yes, that can happen.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

Yes, they do, and yes, that can happen.

Do you know if the Promethean would still be a Promethean, or just a soulless human at that point?
Regardless, I now know what the leader of my Tremere antagonist cabal keeps in his sanctum, for certain reasons of his themes and obsessions. He would have made himself the mentor and ally to a Promethean, helped them along for as long as necessary, then ripped their soul out the minute they had one.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 3, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

:golfclap:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Does a war-shark have an amphibious war-form? If it does, is it also popping driftwood 100% of the time, like the other poster mentioned? If so, does their boner have like, shark skin or normal human skin?

Because loving a sharkskin boner sounds like the worst kind of punishment.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Honest question, how did all the WtA, uh, breeding content actually work out in practice? It just seems like reproduction is at least a moderate focus of the game in a really weird and often unconsidered way - did that actually make it to table? Did the game have some kind of way of handling it in stories that wasn't awful?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

calling it "unconsidered" is being a little too generous to White Wolf

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Honest question, how did all the WtA, uh, breeding content actually work out in practice? It just seems like reproduction is at least a moderate focus of the game in a really weird and often unconsidered way - did that actually make it to table? Did the game have some kind of way of handling it in stories that wasn't awful?
I can tell you it led to a bunch of bodice-rippin' Kinfolk romance novel RP on the mu* games I played on.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Basic Chunnel posted:

calling it "unconsidered" is being a little too generous to White Wolf

I haven't read any Apocalypse first-hand, just heard about the reputation (and the sharks, above) so I felt like I ought to soft-pedal, especially given I've apparently been putting my foot wrong recently.

What was the thematic point of the sharks being horny on land, was it just a Creature From the Black Lagoon thing or what? And, uh, could PCs turn it off?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Joe Slowboat posted:

Sorry, I had heard this was an actual take, I'd just never seen it in the wild. My bad!

It's from the unofficial ChroD Discord, and it might not be a joke. Or it's being "ironic." Also got posted on the unofficial Mage Discord.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

I can tell you it led to a bunch of bodice-rippin' Kinfolk romance novel RP on the mu* games I played on.

It got hella weird on the games that let you play as BSD too.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I haven't read any Apocalypse first-hand, just heard about the reputation (and the sharks, above) so I felt like I ought to soft-pedal, especially given I've apparently been putting my foot wrong recently.

What was the thematic point of the sharks being horny on land, was it just a Creature From the Black Lagoon thing or what? And, uh, could PCs turn it off?

Being generous, I'd say the shifter sex appeal thing from the oWoD was about three things. One was getting the players into the headspace of dealing with powerful, animalistic impulses and urges. Another was the covey the theme of "we're the only ones doing what's necessary to save the planet, and we're dying out anyway." Having everyone in your occult subculture be obsessed with bearing young is a good way to convey how desperate the game is supposed to feel. Think like, the mood of Children of Men or something. Finally, I think it's because vampires have long been coded in pop culture as sexy af and White Wolf just wanted to make sure their second game was for cool sexhavers too.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

pseudosavior posted:

Yeah, we really need another 25-page slapfight about poo poo that ~12 people understand halfway and argue about, while the other ~20 people on this site scroll past as their eyes glaze over. :v:

I understand magechat perfectly. I just despise it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: Also, post-Promethean humans seem like they'd almost inevitably have a lot of weird connections unless everyone a Promethean knew forgets about them or proves incapable of recognizing them as a human? Which I guess would make sense.
"Hey, is that Frank? Frank Frankenstein?"
"No, he had those big bolts and the weird-shaped head"
"True... I guess not!"

The Promethean's disfigurements are hidden from non-Prometheans under an alchemical illusion when they're not charging their abilities as Prometheans. Frank Frankenstein, when he's not wielding his inhuman strength or plugging himself into wall sockets, looks like the human he might one day become, except for a nagging sense in the back of your head that something's not quite right. We call that sense Disquiet.

As for people who saw you wielding your inhuman strength, saw the stitches holding your body parts together, saw those big bolts in your head, and survived? Well, yeah. They might have some questions when they see you working the register at Stop n Shop.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Do you know if the Promethean would still be a Promethean, or just a soulless human at that point?

Soulless human. They completed the Great Work, they transmuted themselves from metaphorical lead to gold, they became human and escaped Disquiet and Torment and the Wasteland. They just then got hosed over by an rear end in a top hat lich.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have brought my first two WoD books: W20 Book of the Wyrm and Freak Legion. All things Wyrm interest me. Might get Book of the Weaver and a few others later, depends on a few things.

What I'm mainly curious about is if I should ever bother getting older editions? I'm only interested in lore and story info. Would I learn more about The Wyrm, Pentex, Banes, etc. by getting Book of the Wyrm 2nd Edition? (and by extension other books such as getting Vampire Revised books and not just V20 stuff)