Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

He's been hyper critical of Disney since Gunn was fired. Even after Gunn got the gotg3 gig back Batista has not held back about the big D.

He literally just started a big ad campaign as the face of their streaming service so I think he's fine with Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

He literally just started a big ad campaign as the face of their streaming service so I think he's fine with Disney.

Oh, looked up the ad, lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Bautista says he was never asked, some Disney guy says they asked but that maybe it was through an agent and it never got to Dave.

Release the Bautista cut

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

theironjef posted:

I'm guessing that happened early in the writing process as they realized that this series is going to not only have seasons, but season arcs, and unrelenting everyone dies grimness wouldn't lend itself well to a season arc. We're already seeing the Avengers lineup forming with both Starlord and Captain Carter ending up on Earth in the modern day. I'm just curious to see what the big villain is gonna be. Ego 2? Zombies? We didn't see where Gamora wound up this whole episode, maybe she's taking that Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy stuff to heart.

this character is in the marketing if you look closely, but I'm guessing it's What If Ultron Won? Ultron, in Vision's body and with the other five Infinity Stones built into his armor

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Aphrodite posted:

Bautista says he was never asked, some Disney guy says they asked but that maybe it was through an agent and it never got to Dave.

Agents probably thought it was for a Guardians cartoon or something, since one of those has been around for awhile I think.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Batista likes checks, he just also likes giving out from time to time. I love Big Dave.

I cannot express how unprepared I was for Thanos to just walk up as a grumpy grandpa Ravager. Fun episode which I always appreciate. Do you ever wonder how the super strong guys just know that they're invulnerable to lasers? Like Thanos seemed pretty confident he could just deflect them. Hulk's done it a lot too. You'd think it would be a risky assumption.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess would be that like the voice actors were just paid a fraction of their usual salaries and Batista's agents just rejected it out of hand or something. Or he had something already booked and no one pushed it or something.

Toss me in for loving that episode. Just a lot of silly fun. I was wondering how they'd do T'challa as Star Lord and have it make sense and the solution is just "gently caress it, just be silly and fun and don't take it too seriously." And then I remain just how weird and out there these things are getting. Instead of following Quill's story path they just tease it and then just do whatever they want with it.

I'm guessing each episode is its own universe. There's nothing obviously disqualifying this episode from being on the same earth as the Captain Carter stuff but there was Cap's shield. I mean I guess they could have made that after Cap Carter disappeared but I dunno. Its something I'm curious about since like I definitely kind of want to see Captain Carter's story continue and I want to know what happened to Gamora, Rocket, and Groot. My guess is its just teases like the Quill/Ego thing but I guess it will be interesting to see how much if at all they follow up in things or just tell all stand alones (until they don't). I dunno, just thoughts.

Its a fun, light weight show I'm looking forward to each week now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder if femme fatale Nebula was in part so we're used to seeing her with hair. I can't imagine Gillan is relishing shaving her head again.

When did they do the voice work for this? And did they do both seasons at once? That ending definitely implied a sequel to this one with the Guardians/Ravagers vs Ego and Quill.

And that shot in the credits of the Watcher over the Great Mound was loving rad and I'd like it as my desktop background.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder if femme fatale Nebula was in part so we're used to seeing her with hair. I can't imagine Gillan is relishing shaving her head again.

That's a dumb idea. It's femme fatale Nebula because she's a femme fatale

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I don't think Gillen shaved her head after the first one, in fact I think I remember her lamenting that after shaving her head the makeup people were like "oh, you didn't have to do that"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

She only had to do that for the first Guardians. Since then they've been able to use a skull cap.

It's funny that people are saying that this episode showed that things would turn out better, when we can assume that all the Avengers are dead and Ego is going to succeed in killing all life. Unless they make a sequel to that. But I think I liked it more than the first because it wasn't trying to retell a movie with a few pieces moved around, and went in directions I wouldn't have expected like with Thanos.

Still most excited for the Marvel Zombies episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

She only had to do that for the first Guardians. Since then they've been able to use a skull cap.

I was gonna say, they had Cate Blanchette in a skullcap and also showed her hair in Ragnorak

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that actually happened with Stephen Colbert and The Venture Bros. He did a voice early on and a couple of years later when they asked for him to come back they got no reply. He later said that it was due to an overzealous agent not passing it along.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah that actually happened with Stephen Colbert and The Venture Bros. He did a voice early on and a couple of years later when they asked for him to come back they got no reply. He later said that it was due to an overzealous agent not passing it along.

I'm almost certain that's about Harvey Birdman and not Venture Brothers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, just figure the Batista stuff is down to miscommunication. It happens.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's funny that people are saying that this episode showed that things would turn out better, when we can assume that all the Avengers are dead and Ego is going to succeed in killing all life. Unless they make a sequel to that. But I think I liked it more than the first because it wasn't trying to retell a movie with a few pieces moved around, and went in directions I wouldn't have expected like with Thanos.

Still most excited for the Marvel Zombies episode.

The Avengers wouldn't even come together in this timeline. Thanos is a good guy now so presumably the Chitauri invasion and the battle of New York don't happen. Fury wouldn't have a way or a need to bring them together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vandar posted:

The Avengers wouldn't even come together in this timeline. Thanos is a good guy now so presumably the Chitauri invasion and the battle of New York don't happen. Fury wouldn't have a way or a need to bring them together.

I mean, that's the point of these kind of ripple stories that we have no idea how they'd play out because we assume that the thing we expect to happen either does or doesn't and then stop there. So Thanos doesn't back Loki but maybe Loki finds another way to invade or just comes himself or brings Frost Giants or something. Maybe no one does but that sends Tony Stark's obsession in a whole new direction that creates other problems. Maybe T'challa comes to earth and someone follows him. Maybe the Collector gets mad. Maybe the Avengers form to fight Peter Quill and Ego. Maybe Gamora's out there becoming th new bad guy. Maybe its Ronan who never gets stopped by the Guardians. Maybe its someone we haven't seen. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

That's the fun of it IMO. It shuts down all the assumed stuff and just opens the door to stuff you couldn't see coming.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vandar posted:

The Collector had Cap's shield and Mjolnir, so at least those two are probably dead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Collector had Cap's shield and Mjolnir, so at least those two are probably dead.

Cap could have lost his shield when he went in ice. Thor could have never reclaimed Mjolnir in the first Thor film or just speed run to realizing he didn't need it like in Ragnarok. Cap could have ended up picking up Mjolnir and now be Thor and maybe Odinson devoted himself to his home and became Captain Asgard. Tony Stark could have stopped at a Denny's for a hamburger and gotten food poisoning from Peter Quill who didn't wash his hands after smoking pot in the alley and playing with some raccoons and Tony went insane and killed everyone. Nobody knows except the Watcher.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If tivan has Hela's helmet that means Odin is dead so if he also has the hammer that doesn't particularly bode well for Thor

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skwirl posted:

I'm almost certain that's about Harvey Birdman and not Venture Brothers.

Stephen Colbert played the Reed Richards analogue character in his first appearance, and then was replaced with a soundalike in future appearances. Pretty sure this anecdote is accurate w/r/t Venture Bros.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Funnily enough, when I saw the message from T'Chaka on the Wakandan ship and it mentioned a beacon home, I assumed that what happened was the Collector and his army, including the Black Order, were the ones who went to Earth and they were the ones who destroyed Wakanda. But then it turned out that no one destroyed Wakanda and Yondu was just lying about that to keep T'Challa with him. But then the Collector had stuff definitely from Earth, especially Cap's shield, and now I don't know what the gently caress happened. But that's the curse of What If, you only get a half hour of an entirely new universe, and anything beyond that is just left to your imagination.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

If tivan has Hela's helmet that means Odin is dead so if he also has the hammer that doesn't particularly bode well for Thor

I'm guessing he just has trash from other timelines. Loki opened up the timeline gate and Tivan is cashing in. He's probably in continuity with Captain Carter so there never was a Steve shield in his timeline.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theironjef posted:

I'm guessing he just has trash from other timelines. Loki opened up the timeline gate and Tivan is cashing in. He's probably in continuity with Captain Carter so there never was a Steve shield in his timeline.

There isn't really any reason to assume they're in the same timeline. Like the entire gimmick of What If/Watcher is he's watching hundreds of timelines and universes, not just one other one. And we already know we're getting Marvel Zombies/Zombie Captain America. So until the show says otherwise I'm gonna assume each episode is its own universe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vandar posted:

Thanos is a good guy now

Yeah that was the thing that felt the most off. The dude bisected and tortured his daughters and loves genocide.

That and the dialogue. Everyone in space is an American I guess.

Otherwise good stuff. Boseman was great. Felt like an actual story instead of clips.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thanos being a "good guy" didn't bother me because like... that's the pattern of T'Challa's Ravagers. He's got a collection of villains that he's apparently spent his entire life reforming and convincing to make amends for their wrongs by helping and saving people. We don't really see that because we see more of a heist with Nebula in this story but they give a lot of dialogue about why he's "Star Lord" not because its an arrogant code name he game himself like Quill to feel important but because its what people call him for all the good he's done. And he's got Yondu, Thanos, Nebula, Korath, and even Taserface on the right track. Instead of throwing the bad guys in prison or killing them he's reforming them and getting them to save planets and poo poo. He's made them the Guardians of the Galaxy without the name.

Rogue heroic vigilante groups of reformed prisoners united around noble kings isn't really the solution to our real world problems but comic books really aren't gonna give you those very often.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Watching stargirl and I kinda love how Pat has these black and white photos of the jsa and seven soldiers even though they would've been taken in like 1980/90

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just finished What If and... I don't know I liked the concept well enough* and there were some bits and pieces that worked very well (big fan of everyone's favorite Ravager Thanos), but I don't know if it's just the art not working for me or if it's that some of these movie actors just aren't very good voice actors (Michael Rooker in particular sounded like he was phoning it in and Boseman didn't seem like he was bringing his A-game that much either) but this episode really fell flat for me.

*The concept "What if T'Challa was Star-Lord?" sounds pretty good as a one sentence idea but when you think about it for more than a minute it crumples hard. Like, why did Yondu not go back for Quill after his guys picked the wrong kid? I know that in the main universe he decided to not actually deliver him to Ego but did that one conversation with T'Challa just somehow spin his whole worldview that even kidnapping in the first place was bad? I mean I get that the answer to all of these questions is always "well the story has to happen so I guess shut up" but with Captain Carter everything felt like it did logically follow that one different choice. In this one a bunch of poo poo had to happen different to cause this episode to work.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TwoPair posted:

*The concept "What if T'Challa was Star-Lord?" sounds pretty good as a one sentence idea but when you think about it for more than a minute it crumples hard. Like, why did Yondu not go back for Quill after his guys picked the wrong kid? I know that in the main universe he decided to not actually deliver him to Ego but did that one conversation with T'Challa just somehow spin his whole worldview that even kidnapping in the first place was bad? I mean I get that the answer to all of these questions is always "well the story has to happen so I guess shut up" but with Captain Carter everything felt like it did logically follow that one different choice. In this one a bunch of poo poo had to happen different to cause this episode to work.

I mean, why did Yondu keep kid Peter on his ship and raise him a Ravager instead of just throwing him back on Earth or anywhere else? He had already decided to screw Ego so why keep the kid? He might claim he did it to hide him or protect him but he could have dropped him in Asgard or Xandar and pulled that off better than keeping him on a ship of psychotic pirates that Ego had specifically asked to get his kid. It actually seems entirely consistent that Yondo acted selfishly and kept the kid around because he wanted a foster son. And Yondu obviously has a good streak and ends up in the same basic place in the main timeline. It just takes a lot longer because he and Peter had a much more dysfunctional relationship.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 19, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe the guy wasting away from stage 4 cancer wasn't at the top of his game

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yondu keeping Tchalla and loving off made sense to me. Its subtext in GotG movies, but it seems like Yondu was desperate to have a family, a son. And everything else is secondary.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought Boseman sounded great and that he was having fun. Rooker did sometimes sound like someone was doing an impression of him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I thought Boseman sounded great and that he was having fun. Rooker did sometimes sound like someone was doing an impression of him.
It's always a crapshoot when actors try VAing since some can get in the voice and role perfectly, while others struggle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Watched Seth Meyers interview Ethan Hawke. He's in Moon Knight but his character hasn't been revealed but Hawke said (possibly joking, but also quite possibly not) he's basing his character on David Koresh. He did look quite a bit like the photo at the top of the wiki. No actual info about Moon Knight though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I like how both episodes of what if so far have managed to be better movies in 30 minutes than the movies they were based on were in 2 hours.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mymla posted:

I like how both episodes of what if so far have managed to be better movies in 30 minutes than the movies they were based on were in 2 hours.

Arguably Captain Carter works just fine even if you never saw the first Captain America, but the T'challa Star Lord one only works because of the context from other movies, Infinity War and Endgame in particular. It's great as it is, but I'm not sure it stands on its own the same way Captain Carter does.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Arguably Captain Carter works just fine even if you never saw the first Captain America, but the T'challa Star Lord one only works because of the context from other movies, Infinity War and Endgame in particular. It's great as it is, but I'm not sure it stands on its own the same way Captain Carter does.

Yeah, but how many people are watching these that haven't either seen most of the films are absorbed a bunch about them through cultural osmosis? Especially Infinity War and End Game. Who is this person who decided to skip both of those, but decides to through on What If...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mymla posted:

Hard disagree. The first Captain America was pretty good until they started just doing montage. The What If of it is all montages.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but how many people are watching these that haven't either seen most of the films are absorbed a bunch about them through cultural osmosis? Especially Infinity War and End Game. Who is this person who decided to skip both of those, but decides to through on What If...

I was presuming that it was a 1:1 replacement sort of scenario. If you put out "Captain Carter: The First Avenger" as a full length movie in 2011, it still works. If you put out "Guardians of the Galaxy, starring T'challa" (as presented here) as a full movie in 2014 it doesn't because the context stuff for Thanos and Nebula doesn't land without Infinity War and Endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I was presuming that it was a 1:1 replacement sort of scenario. If you put out "Captain Carter: The First Avenger" as a full length movie in 2011, it still works. If you put out "Guardians of the Galaxy, starring T'challa" (as presented here) as a full movie in 2014 it doesn't because the context stuff for Thanos and Nebula doesn't land without Infinity War and Endgame.

That's fair.