Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
e: loving doublepost. enjoy your page header!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh yeah, Jet is really fun to use in this game. The character going :black101: and screaming poo poo while roiding out is a nice touch.

Honestly for how bad most of the voice acting is, the personal reactions when I do drugs are really awseome.

How the gently caress do I slow down time?? I desperately want to take pictures of the lightning

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh yeah, Jet is really fun to use in this game. The character going :black101: and screaming poo poo while roiding out is a nice touch.

It happens with Pyscho too (and probably all the other weird chems you can get now).

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Lester Shy posted:

Has anybody found useful tips for getting more FPS out of older systems? The game autodetects my settings to Ultra, but even setting everything to Low or Off gives me frame drops to the low 30s in Diamond City and Sanctuary. I'm 90% sure the problem is my old dual core i3, but none of the ini tweaks I've found offer much improvement.

I had a 660 and i5 2500k, and I had the same issue except my system autodetected to medium. 30+FPS everywhere else, like 15-20 in diamond city. I just upgraded to a 4790k and GTX 970 and now I get solid 55-60 everywhere. This game is really intensive in some areas for no reason due to lack of optimization like most past Bethesda titles were. My recommendation would be to turn shadows and godrays down, that gave me a 5-10FPS boost in those problem areas.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh neat melee stealth works with blitz... and I can do it through cracked walls as long as I can see the enemy, this is pretty viable.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I'm trying to enjoy settlement building, I really am, but holy gently caress it's barely functional. Or at least, very un-intuitive. I've scrapped a ruined house and was left with a foundation, which I want to turn into a sleeping house for Sanctuary. I put up some walls and began running into problems. The flat sections of walls will go 2x2 across the front of the house, but won't form a corner. I tried using the corner shaped wall in the corner, and it wants to snap to grid in every direction except the direction I need it to. It won't follow the path of a laid foundation. So far, my sleeping house has gaps in the corners big enough to walk through, and the roofing is a mess with gaps in it as well.

What is it about building a house that is hosed up? I'm using a foundation from another house, I should not be having these issues where the walls and ceilings don't jive.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Weird, I've avoided any crashes over the past three days but today I had two hard crashes that required a system reboot (which I attributed to the new RAM I installed the previous day, though I had no problems in the several hours I played yesterday with it installed) and two CTDs. Gonna run a memory test with my new RAM and see if those were even a problem or if it's just a coincidence. Last time I upgraded my RAM I had what I assumed was a bad stick but maybe the problem is with one of the mobo slots.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Protons posted:

I'm trying to enjoy settlement building, I really am, but holy gently caress it's barely functional. Or at least, very un-intuitive. I've scrapped a ruined house and was left with a foundation, which I want to turn into a sleeping house for Sanctuary. I put up some walls and began running into problems. The flat sections of walls will go 2x2 across the front of the house, but won't form a corner. I tried using the corner shaped wall in the corner, and it wants to snap to grid in every direction except the direction I need it to. It won't follow the path of a laid foundation. So far, my sleeping house has gaps in the corners big enough to walk through, and the roofing is a mess with gaps in it as well.

What is it about building a house that is hosed up? I'm using a foundation from another house, I should not be having these issues where the walls and ceilings don't jive.

I had to put a roof on top of one of the corners and then snap the walls to the roof

The settlement building blows. Don't get me started about trying to close off little gaps in the wall and having to settle for a 2 foot gap because that's as close as you can get it, yet closer makes the clipping look less terrible than with the gap the game allows, causing nonsensically hilarious clipping.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Sandweed posted:

Are you modifying the right .ini files?

Hi this thread moves very fast, I still cannot get my prefernces to work right, literally no matter what I do and no matter how low the graphics I get extremely lovely fps...'

How do I do it "right" because none of it ever works or even makes a differnce

Here's my original post:

quote:

Dumb framerate woes post: I've played 2 and a half hours or so and my fps is pretty drat bad, regardless of all the fixes and settings ice tried

I messed with the .ini files and turned the apparent 30 fps cap value and a couple others with zero help at all.

I've even put all of the setting the lowest they could possibly go and it still lags a ton

i5, 16gb ram, 6900 ati (yeah I know this is old, but shouldn't effect it too much?)

Its probably around 30-25fps with it getting slowly slower...

I googled this a ton and went through the steam guide as well as guides on other sites

Would appreciate the help!!!

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

What CPU do you have, fellow irradiated goon?

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Kirs posted:

This is so stupid that she can actually predict future. I'd like it was just a stupid hallucinations from too much Jet.

It's a throwback to the tribal druggy oracle from the originals (see: my profile picture)
or http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Psyker

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 13, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Jet in this game works like how Turbo did in New Vegas, it's pretty great.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Protons posted:

Use a basic square prefab and snap walls around the corner, then remove/scrap the prefab and add a roof/floor. Sometimes the floors don't always work but I've only had that happen once.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
For the last few days I've refused to give jet to Mama Murphy, because I selfishly thought I knew what was best for her, because it upset my robot, because Preston looks down at her and her sight.

But you know what? I realized Mama Murphy not only knows what she needs, but she deserves it.

Whatever you want, Mama Murphy.

Whatever you want.

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 13, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright how to I funnel resources into Sanctuary from my other settlements? I've been ignoring the whole Save Your Son thing to play Pretty Post-Apoc Legos but I have no I idea how to set up supply lines.

Also what the gently caress do scavengers do? I have three stations set up and three guys assigned but all they seem to do is pick their nose.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Everdraed posted:

Whatever you want.

Is that in Sanctuary?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Everdraed posted:

For the last few days I've refused to give jet to Mama Murphy, because I selfishly thought I knew what was best for her. But you know what? I realized she not only knows what she wants, but she deserves it.

Whatever you want.

My Dogmeat has that exact same costume on!!

My Mama Murphey, however, is chilling out on a roof all by herself. Outside the defensive wall.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just used the cheat code player.setlevel 50 to test a few Endurance perks.

Ghoulish gives you health regeneration proportional to your radiation exposure (NOT the amount of rads you are carrying). This means the radiation resistance perk will reduce the amount of health you regenerate when you are standing in a radioactive area. I'm not sure if it's actually a bad thing, though, to get both perks. Ghoulish does not get rid of rads and thus cannot regenerate health beyond the red portion of your health bar, so if you stand in a very radioactive place to heal you will also quickly hit the rad ceiling because the red portion of your health bar is growing just as fast. Radiation exposure can still kill you if you hang around long enough.

Solar Powered 2 sheds your rads in daylight. Solar Powered 3 gives you health regen in daylight. I find the rate of recovery for both to be fast enough to be useful (several points per second). Much faster than the Fallout 3 version of this perk (which was useless). Solar Powered 2 means you no longer need RadAways unless you have to navigate an especially radioactive area for an extended period of time. Whether or not the perk is worthwhile depends on how easily you can obtain RadAways. Are RadAways easy to come by at high levels? Is the supply of RadAways finite or is there a way to craft a limitless amount (with base structures, perhaps)?

A difficulty in assessing both of these perks is that the Pip-Boy does not report a numerical value for the amount of rads you have.

If you get Solar Powered 2 you will instantly lose all your rads while fast travelling during the day. This can lead to a nonsensical situation when exploring the Glowing Sea because you do not accumulate rads while fast travelling, even between two travel points in the Glowing Sea. If you stand around long enough in the Glowing Sea, you will eventually die from radiation, but if you fast travel between two points in the Glowing Sea, you will instantly shed all your rads.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 13, 2015

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

nosl posted:

What CPU do you have, fellow irradiated goon?

i5-2500k cpu @ 3.30ghz (4cpus)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

Use a basic square prefab and snap walls around the corner, then remove/scrap the prefab and add a roof/floor. Sometimes the floors don't always work but I've only had that happen once.

I managed to build a nice two story house, except that for some reason the hedges outside (that I can't scrap :argh: ) prevented one of the walls from "snapping" right and so there's a big panel hanging off the back corner.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

nosl posted:

Is that in Sanctuary?
Yes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any way of knowing whether you'll get a dud removed or tries reset during the hacking minigame?

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
She's literally high as a kite

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Since I'm at the top of the tower rescuing the radio nerd getting 50fps, I decided to double or triple some of the LOD level distances. Surprisingly enough I was able to snipe unsuspecting raider scum/supermutants for several blocks, albiet at 25fps.

Doing my best gargoyle impression

I saved, took a leap of faith. (Side note: red lamps are the best lamp any other lamp is wrong)

aaaaaand :aaaaa:

I lived?!?!?!

I guess they weren't kidding about no fall damage. Can we drop these fuckers from orbit?!? :getin:

edit: I also turned up a lot of the decal and particle values, is it just me or does it seem like there's more rain drops than usual on my screen? Idk if screen rain drops vary in intensity

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

nosl posted:

Is that in Sanctuary?

She's looking at the Red Rocket gas station and the water tower nearby so...yes? efb like I said, this thread moves fast.

Did anyone answer the question if enemies spawn inside walls at settlements? I was slogging through pages but the way this thread moves, who knows.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Seashell Salesman posted:

Anyone else noticed that if you put a teddy bear in Dogmeat's inventory he does an animation of playing with it?

He can randomly pick them up too.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Thats a nice drug den. Very you.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

stringball posted:

i5-2500k cpu @ 3.30ghz (4cpus)

nosl posted:

I had a 660 and i5 2500k, and I had the same issue except my system autodetected to medium. 30+FPS everywhere else, like 15-20 in diamond city. I just upgraded to a 4790k and GTX 970 and now I get solid 55-60 everywhere. This game is really intensive in some areas for no reason due to lack of optimization like most past Bethesda titles were. My recommendation would be to turn shadows and godrays down, that gave me a 5-10FPS boost in those problem areas.

This is a post I posted for another gewn experiencing performance issues that differed from yours. I would recommend turning settings down. How low does your framerate get? Does it ever bottom out? What are your temps like? Could be overheating. My 4790k hits 61 with a stock cooler (I ran out of thermal paste so I can't use my aftermarket cooler till the paste arrives in the mail). If you're hitting 70+, that would explain the steady declines as your CPU hits the 80s.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

explosivo posted:

Is there any way of knowing whether you'll get a dud removed or tries reset during the hacking minigame?

You'll know it's a dud because the whole group of characters inside the brackets/parentheses will be highlighted. I don't really know what causes the allowance to be replenished, it always seemed like it was based on chance to me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Barometer posted:

Did anyone answer the question if enemies spawn inside walls at settlements? I was slogging through pages but the way this thread moves, who knows.
I have only ever had them spawn outside the "Green Zone"

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
I'm hitting peaks of 86 C with a watercooled 2600k @ 5ghz. My fans don't even go apeshit until 88, afaik 90 is when the thermal based throttling really steps in to hinder performance. If you hit 100 it will turn off so you have nothing to worry about there

edit: Apparently intel typically sets the absolute maximum to tjmax + 25, I'd love to see a 2600k hangin out at 120C lmao. I can't even find a post on google past 105

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 13, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

conversation piece posted:

I'm hitting peaks of 86 C with a watercooled 2600k @ 5ghz. My fans don't even go apeshit until 88, afaik 90 is when the thermal based throttling really steps in to hinder performance. If you hit 100 it will turn off so you have nothing to worry about there

idk, the cpu might not be throttled but I've had performance issues if my CPU hit the 90s before. AFAIK ~95 is when I started noticing a difference with my old CPU, which had crit temps @ 98 (2500k)

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

nosl posted:

This is a post I posted for another gewn experiencing performance issues that differed from yours. I would recommend turning settings down. How low does your framerate get? Does it ever bottom out? What are your temps like? Could be overheating. My 4790k hits 61 with a stock cooler (I ran out of thermal paste so I can't use my aftermarket cooler till the paste arrives in the mail). If you're hitting 70+, that would explain the steady declines as your CPU hits the 80s.

Setting are all as low as possible , FPS will never break 45, and gets as low as 20, averages at 30 probably. Temperatures are fine and this happens if I run the game for even 30 seconds then exit

It seems that my setting might not be saving too. I turn mouse look all the way down every time I try to load it and it resets back to default

This poo poo is killing me, and I just want to play :(

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone wants to make one of the settlements into a fortress, I recommend Starlight Drive in. It's got the central pond you can use for water, lots of flat, open spaces, and some cool landmarks.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have only ever had them spawn outside the "Green Zone"

Thank you. I'm glad to know I don't have to fill the place with auto-turrets.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

stringball posted:

Setting are all as low as possible , FPS will never break 45, and gets as low as 20, averages at 30 probably. Temperatures are fine and this happens if I run the game for even 30 seconds then exit

It seems that my setting might not be saving too. I turn mouse look all the way down every time I try to load it and it resets back to default

This poo poo is killing me, and I just want to play :(

Aside from the low settings, that sounds like my performance. Did you get slideshows at anything higher than low?

I honestly have no clue. My first instinct is to blame AMD but that's not helpful in the least. This title is pretty intense but it would make more sense if you were getting those framerates at a mixture of high+medium.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I found the Super Scientist Mutant's cave, Virgil, but he's nowhere to be found, and I'm pretty sure I didn't zap him. All of his stuff is here, like his cute hat, but I don't want to steal it if I can't take it from him :(

Anyone know the code to summon him?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I've found that the scariest enemy in the game are the abandoned cars all over the wasteland. I've been killed twice by them when brushing against them. The cunning fuckers strike like a huntsman spider and pounce into the air, braining my character on the way up.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Broken Cog posted:

I'd honestly say the companions in this game are more interesting than the ones in NV.
That might just be because I spent most of that game with boring army dude Boone though.

The enemy dialogue is loving hilarious compared to NV and FO3. It's actually worth it to turn general subtitles on this time around since you miss a bit of it. There's a vein of really dark comedy running through the game that crops up every now and then in their dialogue.

Also, on that note I just encountered my first Mr. Gutsy. If a modder doesn't add that thing as a companion then there's something wrong(er) with the community.

Seriously, all of his lines are gold. Not only was the first one a skull type enemy, but it was surrounded by homicidal Mr. Handy's. Which was just so absurd that it looped back around to being hilarious again. It has this ridiculously over the top bloodthirsty drill sergeant type of voice. Think the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket if he was a homicidal robot. It's also armed to the gills with weaponry. So picture this insane drill sergeant robot that's armed and armored to the teeth trading chatter with a bunch of Mr. Handy's. Which are basically sarcastic robotic British butlers equipped with chainsaws and flamethrowers.

I opened up on it with my assault rifle only to almost get gunned down by what appears to be an underslung gatling gun. It didn't even react to the attack other than to scream "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!" as we traded shots and it perforated me. I was understandably hesitant to keep shooting the thing if I couldn't even pierce it's casing so I retreated by diving off the catwalk to the floor below, hiding shortly afterwards.

To my surprise the Handy's started snarking about me running away. And the Gutsy got pissed. It started pacing the catwalk while taunting and haranguing me to come out as the Handy's mocked me, eventually resorting to screaming "Restore contact with the enemy, goddamnit!" at the Handy's in the most annoyed and enraged voice i've ever heard out of a character. That was the point where one of the Handy's let out this exaggerated sigh and muttered something about humans always resorting to violence as it revved up its chainsaw arm and proceeded to the ground floor.

I don't even care if it isn't scripted to work like that and it was just dumb luck. The entire thing was dark and funny as hell. Their lines jived together perfectly too. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

parasyte posted:

Have I got news for you! Another goon has made just that.

Thanks bud

For people not getting ideal framerates these tweaks did help me substantially

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sdyu7/the_old_ini_tweaks_still_work/

Anyone have the item id for the mole rat cure?

Found it 00055F10

afkmacro fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 13, 2015

• Locked thread