Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

Aviation Megathread: Professionally Poor Forever

Aviation Megathread: Student Loan Swandive

Aviation Megathread: Practicing Income Stalls

Aviation Megathread: Office With a View, of Poverty

Aviation Megathread: Living the Dream HAhaha... gently caress.

Aviation Megathread: Professionally Loan Stalls Office HAhaha... gently caress.

Aviation Megathread: Oh, It's A Pilot Shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Aviation Megathread: Yes all Bonanza Pilots.

Aviation Megathread: Your Mooney is rear end-Backwards.

Aviation Megathread: The SR-22 Parachute Boogaloo.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Aviation Megathread: Yes that's another ten years to command.
Aviation Megathread: Summer holiday - not in this lifetime.
Aviation Megathread: Fatigue - less protection than a trucker.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 13, 2016

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Aviation Megathread: HELP ME GET THAT DEAD GUY OUT OF MY SEAT

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Aviation Megathread: Hollandaise?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aviation Megathread: Shut Up George, Sully says I'm not a retard

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 14, 2016

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Quick interruption of title chat...

I'm working on getting my PPL and after about 10 hours of flying, I think the first major investment I want to make is sunglasses. (I'm actually OK with renting the headset for $5/lesson right now).

Any recommendations of what I should check out?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I'm working on getting my PPL and after about 10 hours of flying, I think the first major investment I want to make is sunglasses. (I'm actually OK with renting the headset for $5/lesson right now).

I tend to wear sunglasses with fairly thin temples, since I find that my headset presses on thick temples against my head enough to be uncomfortable.

Polarized lenses can cause problems with LCD displays (GPS units or glass cockpit screens), since the polarization on the lenses will make the screens appear black from certain angles.

Personally, I just wear a set of cheap aviator style sunglasses for working, since that way I don't care if they get knocked around or damaged.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dexter6 posted:

I fly with Ray Ban wayfarers (sp?). They're thick enough that my headset doesn't squeeze them against my head and it doesn't mess with my ANR. I've tried/broken lots of sunglasses and these are hands down my favorite (and most durable.)

Also, polarized is whatever, but do not skimp on quality UV protection. Sunglasses can dilate your pupils, coupling that with high altitudes and improper protection can be super bad for your eyes.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just use whichever aviators look good on you. I like aviators not because of style but because they cover your entire field of vision. Make sure they wont hurt your ears with headset clamp.

Polarized is a problem because when I turn my Surface 3 EFB to portrait mode it goes black. Also I think they are not allowed by the FAA? If you care about that.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dexter6 posted:

I use Rayban RB3445 because they are a) unpolarized and b) have thin temples. Got them off amazon for 109 bucks, but would have paid twice that, easily, if it came down to it.

My Costa Del Mars (Brine? I think? They were quite expensive) that I use for everything else are too dark, polarized, and the frames/temples are too thick for a good seal on my headset. I tend to keep up with sunglasses and take good care of them. Plus I spend enough time outside that I don't 'cheap' out on good eye protection.

As far as headset, not that you asked but figure you will eventually, but I started with a fairly cheap set of Rugged Aviation RA200's (less that 100 bucks I think), then moved to Clarity Aloft in-ear, then sold those and picked up two sets of refurbished David Clarks. Awfully hard to beat DCs.

Tide fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 15, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Tide posted:

Awfully hard to beat DCs.

This.

I've had the same DC headset for about 8 years now, and aside from replacing the microphone cover every couple of years (which is about $5), they've been totally bulletproof.

I'm finally looking at replacing them with a set of Bose A20's, since the DC's get a bit "clampy" after a 12 hour day, and the Q400 is too loud for any of the on or -in ear headsets that would work in jets.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

I wear American optical aviators, they are military issue, durable as all hell, and can be had from Amazon for $40-50.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

OP Updated. Sorry e.pilot, Tide, and one more (I think). If I missed any please let me know.

I've been stupid busy and my laptop crapped out so I haven't been following along.

Yes I've read Squawk 7700. Regionals are getting DESPERATE, it is incredible to hear my FOs telling me what they are being offered.

I still love the PC12, though below 1,000 AGL you can't make it back to the runway. (Someone was talking about this earlier)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

AWSEFT posted:

Yes I've read Squawk 7700. Regionals are getting DESPERATE, it is incredible to hear my FOs telling me what they are being offered.

I still haven't recovered from getting an invite to a TSA interview randomly in the mail (I assume they are just pulling anyone with an ATP out of the airman's registry and spamming them.) and promising me a $50 amazon gift certificate if I would just show up and give them a chance.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

OP Updated. Sorry e.pilot, Tide, and one more (I think). If I missed any please let me know.

I've been stupid busy and my laptop crapped out so I haven't been following along.

I still love the PC12, though below 1,000 AGL you can't make it back to the runway. (Someone was talking about this earlier)

I should be around to 750 hours by the end of the year, I'm torn if I want to apply for Great Lakes or some other EAS carrier, or wait until I am at 1500 and apply somewhere else.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Polarized sunglasses will also make it harder to spot glints of sunlight from other aircraft making spotting traffic more problematic. Polarized is great for driving and other outdoor activities but not great for aviation (and steadily getting less great for driving with so many screens in cars these days.)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks AWSEFT

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I should be around to 750 hours by the end of the year, I'm torn if I want to apply for Great Lakes or some other EAS carrier, or wait until I am at 1500 and apply somewhere else.

Great Lakes probably isn't long for this world, since they owe a lot of money to Canadian loan sharks (17% interest after defaulting on a $27 million loan, which was taken out to pay off other loans), and it's basically a matter of time until the lenders decide to cut their losses and liquidate GLA's assets to recoup what money they can.

From what I can tell, the only EAS carrier in anything resembling decent financial shape (outside of some outfits in Alaska) seems to be Cape Air, but they do require 1500hrs for their PIC positions. Places like Ameriflight are also short of pilots right now, but they usually require 135 minimums for their pilots.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Are you trying to stay in Colorado?

azflyboy posted:

From what I can tell, the only EAS carrier in anything resembling decent financial shape (outside of some outfits in Alaska) seems to be Cape Air, but they do require 1500hrs for their PIC positions. Places like Ameriflight are also short of pilots right now, but they usually require 135 minimums for their pilots.
CapeAir does hire FOs. The couple people I've met that have worked there didn't gripe about having worked there. I wouldn't go to GLA because its only a matter of time for them. Pay rates are going up and their captain pool will eventually run dry (or they'll hire all the guys with DUIs/violations).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cape Air is awesome and I know people who have stayed there because they treat them so well they just don't wanna do anything else.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Glasses chat: for what it's worth I've worn glasses (prescription, not sun) with David Clark gel seal headsets for over 3,000 flight hours and never had any problems. I always use wire frame glasses, the one time I had to use plastic frames with bigger "arms" it gave me a headache after 2-3 hours.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

Are you trying to stay in Colorado?

CapeAir does hire FOs. The couple people I've met that have worked there didn't gripe about having worked there. I wouldn't go to GLA because its only a matter of time for them. Pay rates are going up and their captain pool will eventually run dry (or they'll hire all the guys with DUIs/violations).

Wife is in the military so I don't really get to pick where we live for now, but I'll commute wherever.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dexter6 posted:

I have some american optics ones. $50 on amazon, made in 'murica, nice lenses, non-polarized and you can pretend to be Neil Armstrong or a USAF pilot.

EDIT: May as well turn this into a general update after I posted back in the summer about a not so confidence inspiring instructor on a discovery flight and got some useful advice. I did end up switching and have been flying 3-6 times a month since then. New instructor is excellent, a career CFI, very experienced and particular about how everything should be done. I’d thoroughly recommend him for anyone in the DC area.

The airport is near class B and inside the DC SFRA so right from the beginning there is mandatory heavy interaction with ATC which has been great. Initial airwork went pretty well, no issues there. Learning to land was hard. Most people once finishing college don’t encounter a steep learning curve like that again in their lifetime. It came as a shock. Flaring too little/much/high/low chewed through money and time for several months. It was a basically a frustrating grind in the pattern with an occasional mini-XC flight to break the monotony until everything started to click. Crosswinds and rudder input are still a problem, but I was able to solo back before winter kicked in and started causing a lot of cancelled/postponed lessons.

We’re on to XC work now, have been into 3 local Class D’s and a few uncontrolled fields, it’s a lot more fun figuring out navlogs and how to get into an unfamiliar airport than pattern work was. Am hoping to be turned loose on the XC’s sometime in the next few months and have the checkride done by July.

It’s stereotypical, but the ten seconds of downwind flight on my first solo flight where there was nothing to do but look outside and admire the view represent the coolest loving thing I’ve done in my life. It’s still amazing to me that ordinary civilians of somewhat modest means have access to that much freedom.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 16, 2016

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

sanchez posted:

I have some american optics ones. $50 on amazon, made in 'murica, nice lenses, non-polarized and you can pretend to be Neil Armstrong or a USAF pilot.

I have these too, would recommend. Looking much cooler than you actually are when flying friends around in a 172 is key, so pretending to be Tom Cruise is a bonus.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

sanchez posted:

DC area.

Where are you flying? I learned at VKX inside the FRZ but am now flying at MTN.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

Where are you flying? I learned at VKX inside the FRZ but am now flying at MTN.

Tipton. MTN is a neat airport, big runway and A10's to look at. I enjoyed going there. Got to watch a student take off on the taxiway at the beginning of 15 which was pretty funny.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

sanchez posted:

Got to watch a student take off on the taxiway at the beginning of 15 which was pretty funny.

That is a far more common occurrence than it should be :cripes:

In other news, CFI ride tomorrow. Here goes nothing :sludgepal:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey good luck. I sat there for 3 hours until my examiner decided he wasn't coming out for my cfi initial.

He did pass me the next day, but drat what a lovely time being all nervous for hours.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Have fun, don't feel bad if you're fatigued as all gently caress by the end of the oral and discontinue before the flight portion.

If not, you may involuntarily discontinue because you forgot how to fly.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

Have fun, don't feel bad if you're fatigued as all gently caress by the end of the oral and discontinue before the flight portion.

If not, you may involuntarily discontinue because you forgot how to fly.

Good advice. I made that exact mistake and busted the flight portion of my initial cfi. Only checkride I've busted.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

greasyhands posted:

Good advice. I made that exact mistake and busted the flight portion of my initial cfi. Only checkride I've busted.

Same thing thing happened to me.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Same thing thing happened to me.

Add my name to the list of "passed the CFI oral, then busted the flight" folks on here.

My oral and flights were on two different days, but I somehow managed to completely forget how to apply wind correction doing pylon 8's on the flight, which is one of the stupider things I've managed to do in an airplane.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FAA check airmen love CFI check rides because its their chance to fail people with impunity. It means absolutely nothing if you wanna have a career as a pilot. No interviewer will ever care any more than they will care about the color of your shirt.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

FAA check airmen love CFI check rides because its their chance to fail people with impunity. It means absolutely nothing if you wanna have a career as a pilot. No interviewer will ever care any more than they will care about the color of your shirt.

This is the truth. I've ionly ever failed my cfi and every interviewer I've met didn't give a poo poo. Most people don't even care if you've failed multiple ones. Good luck tomorrow, and don't ever let that fucker lapse!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

VOR LOC posted:

This is the truth. I've ionly ever failed my cfi and every interviewer I've met didn't give a poo poo. Most people don't even care if you've failed multiple ones. Good luck tomorrow, and don't ever let that fucker lapse!

If you're going to be a cfi for work, sock away the recurrent course money now. You won't have the extra hundred bucks in 2 years.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Holy gently caress I passed - I'm a CFI! :captainpop:

E: That's all I can psychologically muster at this time

E2: op update, CFI - KMTN

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 19, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats!!

e.pilot