Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well after two submissions and three phone calls, COE letter finally came... aaand semester's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
School is giving me the run-around on who my advisor is, turns out it's maybe some guy on main campus 2 hours away.

thinking I might need to find another school if trying to get through the online orientation is requiring back and forth emails just so that I can be able to register for freaking classes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
School administrations are perhaps the single most incompetent group of people in the world when it comes to running a business, customer service, and overall efficiency of communications. It's impressive really.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Vasudus posted:

School administrations are perhaps the single most incompetent group of people in the world when it comes to running a business, customer service, and overall efficiency of communications. It's impressive really.

they're probably mostly ok if you're a traditional student coming in like cattle but dealing with schools as a nontrad old guy has been nothing but frustration at every step of the way

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

No even as a regular student they're loving bad.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
thats what i get for trying to give any institution the benefit of the doubt in some way

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

What makes it worse is they're always adding more layers to the admin stuff. Right now I have a general college advisor just gen ed classes, a major advisor for chemistry, and a minor advisor for math. They're now trying to add another advisor at the College of Science level to act as an "intermediate" for some blackbox reason they don't explain.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I stopped using my official adviser my second semester because they were consistently giving out bad and inaccurate advice about what requirements were. I ended up using the course catalog and sent a long-winded email to the registrar for my major (the actual admin people that audit your poo poo and yea/nea your degree) nicely asking them to clarify a few things.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1068482275900358661

good news

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

quote:

Lawrence had said that going back to inspect potentially hundreds of thousands of education claims could be a “tremendous amount of activity for no gain.”

Holy poo poo, this guy should be fired. Veterans losing their homes because they didn't receive the benefits they earned and he thinks giving them the money they are owed would be no gain?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
no personal gain for him

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Next time I'm due for bills or whatever I'm just gonna say "sorry bro computer's borked, I no longer owe you". Good enough for government work, good enough for me.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vasudus posted:

The team they have running the EMBA program at Bama have got their poo poo watertight. I'm continually amazed at how detail-oriented they are, and they come back with answers immediately. (In the case of the thing I was just complaining about, it was a polite "read the email you got in August". Whoops.) It probably helps that they're a small unit (4 people) whose main job is keeping the program humming.

It probably doesn't hurt that the campus is swimming in money, and is not afraid to spend it. Tuscaloosa is the frigging Death Star of more than just football.

In undergrad, I used to shop around for actual advising. Usually there's someone in your department who knows their poo poo and is willing to help. It's never the person they assign you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

Tuscaloosa is the frigging Death Star of more than just football.

If you want to have fun and get some unique management stuff on your resume:

Just because its been the greatest thing at my school and all the hundred teams at competitions also look like they're having a blast.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

God, I would love to. SAE racing looks loving awesome. But I live four hours away, I'm only up there every other weekend, and my best contribution would be "ok so who had the latte"

edit- drat. Reading their website and it looks amazing. They actually even have a business case (cost/benefit) analysis as part of their judging. Wish I could do it.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 4, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Ooohhh yeah Law School exams. Time for some high-octane anxiety and crushing guilt

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:lol: all exams are open book/open notes, right? If not, sucks to be you.

Also, you’re the dumbass that went to law school. You have no one but yourself to blame.

Fun note, they went over a bunch of stats in my practicing with professionalism CLE. (CLEs are continuing education credits mandatory for lawyers)

1 in 3 lawyers will suffer from some form of work caused mental illness.

1 in 3 lawyers have a substance abuse problem.

Lawyers have one of the highest rates of suicide of any professional group.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thank you for your service o7

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: all exams are open book/open notes, right? If not, sucks to be you.

Also, you’re the dumbass that went to law school. You have no one but yourself to blame.

Fun note, they went over a bunch of stats in my practicing with professionalism CLE. (CLEs are continuing education credits mandatory for lawyers)

1 in 3 lawyers will suffer from some form of work caused mental illness.

1 in 3 lawyers have a substance abuse problem.

Lawyers have one of the highest rates of suicide of any professional group.

People looking to buy used Volkswagons don't get to call other people stupid.

And the joke's on you I already have mental illness and substance abuse problems so I'm impervious to the strictures of legal work. SMDFTB

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man going to law school in TYOOL 2018 just seems like a bad idea all around. All I hear about is how hard finding jobs is if you don’t go to the top tier schools—not lucrative at all. Not to shame Kawasaki or anything. I guess for those that have an undergrad completed that doesn’t get them anywhere they sometimes feel it’s the only option?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man going to law school in TYOOL 2018 just seems like a bad idea all around. All I hear about is how hard finding jobs is if you don’t go to the top tier schools—not lucrative at all. Not to shame Kawasaki or anything. I guess for those that have an undergrad completed that doesn’t get them anywhere they sometimes feel it’s the only option?

There are plenty of options depending on what your undergrad degree is in (to not goto law school). I went back to the school with the intention of going to law school though. I don't think it was a mistake or a bad idea at all, though people do like to regularly repeat the same poo poo you've heard over and over and over and over and over.

It really depends on what your reasons are. Law isn't the all but guaranteed road to wealth that it was from the 60s-90s or whatever, but I'm not doing this because I'm vying to get rich quick. So far I've found the work to be immensely rewarding and highly motivating, so I'm definitely sticking with it. That said the exam process can be a bit hair-raising considering everything is graded on a forced curve and class rankings are one of the important ways you can distinguish yourself to future employers.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I’m sure a lot of it is just folks who thought they could just walk into high six figure jobs after finishing it up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I just don’t want to see another goon lawyer struggling to find a job, especially a milgoon.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just don’t want to see another goon lawyer struggling to find a job, especially a milgoon.

he said, tearfully lifting the pillow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

McNally posted:

he said, tearfully lifting the pillow.

:lol:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is the massive law grad glut from a few years ago still as bad?

And how many people get their JD to just get straight to lawyerin'? I knew one guy who went FBI with his, and his brother went fed LEO as well (Labor, and I think now he's OIG at Interior) with his. I know where they went wouldn't be a top school.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Going to law school seems like a baller move if you neither have to chase cases or pay for the loan afterwords.

E: Also my poor exam performance ended up only getting me an 80. The main negative impact is that the professor stated in the Syllabus that if you're averaging a 93 going into the final you are exempt so guess who bought themselves more work this week

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 9, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I work with two JDs in my new gig. They're both GS-13s. Their main purpose is to be technical writers for DoD policy and to advise our larger office on legal issues - but only in the form of 'yes, you can' or 'gently caress you, that's illegal'. One of them did public defender stuff for two years, the other went straight from law school to here. They're both early 30s.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Week one, MBA immersion- "oh man, these dudes are high achievers, maybe I'll break the group project/"gently caress it I'll just do it myself" paradigm, I just hope I can keep up"

Week two- "yeah (team member), you work in advertising, if this is in your wheelhouse why don't you take the Powerpoint/team charter project while we take these."

Week four- hey week one me, about that-

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Had a rough quarter dealing with personal poo poo but i passed my accounting 303 with a 2.1, worst I've done in any of my core classes since coming back to school. gently caress it, good enough for me lol

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Having a kid the week before mid-terms wasn’t the best idea. Glad to be done with this semester. One more to go until my MBA/MSF is done!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

One more kid?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Semester

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Semester is done. 2 A's and a B.
Got myself a Quality certification in soldering that lets me work on electronics that can go into space.

Aaand my Lab partner in 2 of those classes just died of Organ Failure over the weekend...

God drat it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MrDesaude posted:

Semester is done. 2 A's and a B.
Got myself a Quality certification in soldering that lets me work on electronics that can go into space.

Aaand my Lab partner in 2 of those classes just died of Organ Failure over the weekend...

God drat it.

if a roommate dying is an automatic A shouldn't that be at least worth a B-?

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

GD_American posted:

if a roommate dying is an automatic A shouldn't that be at least worth a B-?

Dunno. I was holding those grades in those classes all year. Bumping that B the 5 points I needed for an A would have been cool though.

It's hitting everyone pretty hard because our Mechatronics program only has 30 or so people in it, most of which are 18-23 year olds who have never directly dealt with death before.
Meanwhile I'm sitting here like "That sucks." I mean, he drank Monsters like they were water. I had never seen him drink actual water.
I'm in an engineering program, and I can do a can a day tops. How should I be surprised when he's 28 years old and his kidneys and liver burned out?

That had to be a GREAT hospital conversation:
"I don't feel too hot Doc."
"Well look at the blood wor...JESUS CHRIST!"
"What is it?"
"Merry Christmas, your liver is shot and your kidneys are failing."

What is irritating is now everyone is doing that "How are you doing / Want to talk about it" bullshit. Yes, he was my lab partner. We had 3 classes together; it makes sense to team up and handle poo poo when you have the same schedule. He was a cool guy and all, but he wasn't my best friend or anything.
Honestly, the worst part for me right now is knowing that I lost a classmate that actually paid attention and pulled his weight on projects.
A good lab / study partner is hard to find.

Not sure how that reflects on me as a person...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It means you've been an undergrad for more than five minutes.

I was in the habit of pegging the boat anchors in class within the first session and (if possible) getting away from them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe he can be a wake up call to people who constantly chug that poo poo. I don't know how people can do that. I love water, it's my favorite drink.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

GD_American posted:

It means you've been an undergrad for more than five minutes.

I was in the habit of pegging the boat anchors in class within the first session and (if possible) getting away from them.

For the most part, my classmates in this coursework have their heads in the game. There are 18 spots in the program per year at the moment with a wait list. It hasn't been so much been anchors as much as people getting ahead of themselves and biting off more than they can chew. By the time this is all said and done, I will have my fingers in 5 engineering disciplines, there were some fuckups, but they weed themselves out by week 3 or so.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe he can be a wake up call to people who constantly chug that poo poo. I don't know how people can do that. I love water, it's my favorite drink.

I don't drink nearly as much water as I am supposed to. I don't really drink a lot of anything.
But I entirely agree, that poo poo (like too much of anything) will kill you.

I really need to drink more water though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Man, glad that shitheap of a semester is over with.

Depending on how my final papers shake out, I'm looking at A, B, and C, or an A and two B's.