Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Sounds like your needle valve or float isn't working right and the engine is flooded. Anyhow, it's one carburetor, it won't be a huge deal to clean off and fix.

So I'm messing with the carb? Fun! I'm going to go get myself in the right place :420: for this tribulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE404-Spark-Tester/dp/B0002STSBM

I have one of those and it works a lot better than using a plug against the frame.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

So I'm messing with the carb? Fun! I'm going to go get myself in the right place :420: for this tribulation.

If you just accept that the venturi effect is a thing and don't question it, carburetors are pretty easy. You'll be surprised.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

If you just accept that the venturi effect is a thing and don't question it, carburetors are pretty easy. You'll be surprised.

I don't know poo poo about carbs, so I'm just doing what a reputable source tells me to do until it either works, or gets more hosed. :c00lbutt:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, so if the bike isn't starting and you have gas in the cylinder, then the fuel is probably not being stopped when the float bowl gets full and it's running down into your cylinder. The needle valve is what stops the flow of fuel. Sometimes, those needle valves simply stick - they get a little varnished or a piece of sand makes it through your tank and into the carb. Take the butt end of a screw driver and whack the float bowl on the carburetor a few times, that can dislodge it and then everything is hunky dory again without having to open everything up.

If you got a bunch of gas in your cylinder already, you might want to change out that oil. The fuel can leak down into the case and dilute the oil.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, so if the bike isn't starting and you have gas in the cylinder, then the fuel is probably not being stopped when the float bowl gets full and it's running down into your cylinder. The needle valve is what stops the flow of fuel. Sometimes, those needle valves simply stick - they get a little varnished or a piece of sand makes it through your tank and into the carb. Take the butt end of a screw driver and whack the float bowl on the carburetor a few times, that can dislodge it and then everything is hunky dory again without having to open everything up.

If you got a bunch of gas in your cylinder already, you might want to change out that oil. The fuel can leak down into the case and dilute the oil.

This is the impresson I'm getting, especially because he said a bunch of fuel came out of the carb when he unplugged the feed line. I'd hesitate with the tapping idea though, I've never seen that work first-hand but I guess it's worth a try. Chive I'd just count on taking the carb to bits.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

This is the dumbest newbie mechanic question, I'm sure.

I have a 73 Honda CB350f. Started dewinterizing last night. Front brake lever had no pressure, so I took off the brake piston assembly thing, bled the brakes and got good pressure. Out of my driveway about 100 yards down the street, I had absolutely no front brake and no pressure on the lever. Do I need new break lines? Or is it possibly a more severe issue?

Standing still, are you able to pump it back up to pressure? If not, and if there are no leaks, you either have not bled them properly or the master cylinder is shot. Bleeding can be tricky, so try it again, find some good instructions and follow them carefully. I think it will be obvious during bleeding if the master cylinder has failed.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

This is the impresson I'm getting, especially because he said a bunch of fuel came out of the carb when he unplugged the feed line. I'd hesitate with the tapping idea though, I've never seen that work first-hand but I guess it's worth a try. Chive I'd just count on taking the carb to bits.

I've seen it work like once, ever. But it's so easy to do, that's where I'd start.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

gently caress. Well I was planning on changing the oil anyway, I just wanted to be able to warm the bike up first.

Slavvy posted:

Awesome. Well I wanted to learn, so here is my chance. I've got the service manual out in the garage with the bike, it should have all the info I need, right?

clutchpuck posted:

I've seen it work like once, ever. But it's so easy to do, that's where I'd start.

My neighbor smacked it last week when I was having similar trouble.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ola posted:

Standing still, are you able to pump it back up to pressure? If not, and if there are no leaks, you either have not bled them properly or the master cylinder is shot. Bleeding can be tricky, so try it again, find some good instructions and follow them carefully. I think it will be obvious during bleeding if the master cylinder has failed.

Yes, standing still I can pump it back up to pressure. This is a stupid question, but in what way will it be obvious?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

gently caress. Well I was planning on changing the oil anyway, I just wanted to be able to warm the bike up first.

Awesome. Well I wanted to learn, so here is my chance. I've got the service manual out in the garage with the bike, it should have all the info I need, right?

My neighbor smacked it last week when I was having similar trouble.

Yeah you should be ok. A word of warning: if you don't have a screwdriver that perfectly fits the screws, do not attempt disassembly. Go to a tool shop (with your carb in your hand) and purchase a decent screwdriver that fits perfectly or you will gently caress some screws and have a Bad Time. Fact.

Then when it is time to disassemble, use a great deal of downward pressure whilst turning the screwdriver. Not doing so can result in even the best-fitting screwdriver slipping and loving the screws. They are seized in there by the fickle fingers of fate and once you break the corrosion seal, which will feel like a momentary snapping, the screws will wind out easily by hand.

I've found that high quality modular driver thingies where you can swap on various bits seem to work better than individual screwdrivers.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slavvy posted:

Yeah you should be ok. A word of warning: if you don't have a screwdriver that perfectly fits the screws, do not attempt disassembly. Go to a tool shop (with your carb in your hand) and purchase a decent screwdriver that fits perfectly or you will gently caress some screws and have a Bad Time. Fact.

Then when it is time to disassemble, use a great deal of downward pressure whilst turning the screwdriver. Not doing so can result in even the best-fitting screwdriver slipping and loving the screws. They are seized in there by the fickle fingers of fate and once you break the corrosion seal, which will feel like a momentary snapping, the screws will wind out easily by hand.

I've found that high quality modular driver thingies where you can swap on various bits seem to work better than individual screwdrivers.

Holy poo poo. reasonsToBuyFuelInjectedVehicles.txt

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radbot posted:

Well yes, that and not having cold start issues, problems with parts sticking or clogging from varnish, and the ease of diagnosing by plugging in a code reader.

The problem with the screws is less a carb issue than a Japanese-carbs-using-JIS-screws-not-Phillips-screws issue. JIS screws are a different standard that only looks like Phillips, and Phillips drivers have a habit of camming out and rounding out the head of JIS screws, totally loving you. You can gently caress up all sorts of things on Japanese bikes by using cheap Phillips drivers instead of proper JIS drivers, not just the carbs (it tends to happen on the carbs a lot because the screws are so small they're easier to strip though).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

Yes, standing still I can pump it back up to pressure. This is a stupid question, but in what way will it be obvious?

Not a stupid question, certainly when the advice I gave wasn't very clever. I'm not 100% sure as I haven't had a failed master cylinder myself, but if it was completely shot I think it would not be able to pump fluid out of the bleed valve, the pushrod would just move back and forth. Since you can pump it to pressure, I think you just still have air in the system. Since your bike is a single disc it shouldn't be too hard to do. I've had good luck pushing fluid into the bleeder valve with a syringe, it forces air upwards which is where buoyancy wants it to go anyway.

You can get a kit like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Man-Brake-Bleeder-With-A-Brake-Fluid-Removal-Syringe-/271798466795

Or just a very simple syringe and hose like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100ML-Syringe-Tube-Plastic-for-Hydroponics-Nutrient-Measuring-/371123462954

Although I'm not sure that plastic tube will fit over the bleeder valve without tearing, I got a silicone one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Instead of finding the perfect JIS titanium dickhead screwdriver just replace the float bowl bolts with allen head bolts and never worry again.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

Most throttle bodies have screws made of cheese too, sorry.

EDIT: and good loving luck diagnosing a no start or bad running from an intermittent or otherwise faulty injector. When I finally figured out that my injector was hosed it had already cost me a fruitless and expensive trip to the dealer garage (actually what convinced me to just do everything myself thereafter). Then I had to buy a replacement injector for nearly 40 quid on top of that.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 13, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Instead of finding the perfect JIS titanium dickhead screwdriver just replace the float bowl bolts with allen head bolts and never worry again.

This is my plan with the carbs on my 'oldwing. Thinking of going out to the garage to finally start yanking the carbs so I can clean them up and start replacing all the cheesemetal screws today.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

Not a stupid question, certainly when the advice I gave wasn't very clever. I'm not 100% sure as I haven't had a failed master cylinder myself, but if it was completely shot I think it would not be able to pump fluid out of the bleed valve, the pushrod would just move back and forth. Since you can pump it to pressure, I think you just still have air in the system. Since your bike is a single disc it shouldn't be too hard to do. I've had good luck pushing fluid into the bleeder valve with a syringe, it forces air upwards which is where buoyancy wants it to go anyway.

You can get a kit like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Man-Brake-Bleeder-With-A-Brake-Fluid-Removal-Syringe-/271798466795

Or just a very simple syringe and hose like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100ML-Syringe-Tube-Plastic-for-Hydroponics-Nutrient-Measuring-/371123462954

Although I'm not sure that plastic tube will fit over the bleeder valve without tearing, I got a silicone one.

Just replace your bleeder screws with speed bleeders. I bleed my front brakes and clutch twice a month and it's easy as poo poo like this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

This is just another of the countless times you've probably saved my rear end while working on this bike, before I even got to the point where I would have hosed something up. Thanks.

And of course thanks to everyone else as well.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

This.

BlackMK4 posted:

Just replace your bleeder screws with speed bleeders. I bleed my front brakes and clutch twice a month and it's easy as poo poo like this.

And especially this. They're cheap and amazing.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ola posted:

Thanks, I'll try this and report results.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So this is a fun one. I've got an 01 SV650S that just will not start anymore. Not getting any dash lights or anything. I unscrewed and reseated the battery terminals, battery is ~2 months old and the bike has been ridden regularly, fuses are all good, every connection that I've looked at seems solid.

While in motion, the bike has been known on occasion to sputter and all the lights to flicker, as well the tach and speedo will fly from one end to the other like the drat thing is haunted and the digital odometer will blank out.

the whole bike has also shut down at a stoplight twice before this. Full shutdown, engine, dash lights, headlights, everything.

I went out to go start the bike up and the terminals started flipping out as described above and the engine was running erratically. I blipped the throttle and it immediately died and I can no longer get any power going at all.

Edit: SV650, where you either learn how to troubleshoot electrical issues or die trying. I've never seen that much poo poo happen all at the same time.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wiggle the wiring and the key in the ignition switch, see if you get any life. Sounds like either your key switch is getting tired or some wiring chafed bare on something, somewhere. Is the key on the triple clamp somewhere or fixed to the fairing? If it's on the triple, follow the wires where it passes by the steering head. That's a common spot for wiring or cables to get damaged.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well yes, that and not having cold start issues

Well, having *different* cold start issues... :colbert:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Radbot posted:

:(:respek::(

I've been putting off cleaning the carbs on my Ninjette for over a year now. It's super cold-hearted during the winter and I always resolve to fix that as soon as it gets warm, but... once the weather warms up it starts fine and I could be riding with that time. And none of the screws on the carbs are currently stripped.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

This is just another of the countless times you've probably saved my rear end while working on this bike, before I even got to the point where I would have hosed something up. Thanks.

And of course thanks to everyone else as well.

No worries :)

clutchpuck posted:

Wiggle the wiring and the key in the ignition switch, see if you get any life. Sounds like either your key switch is getting tired or some wiring chafed bare on something, somewhere. Is the key on the triple clamp somewhere or fixed to the fairing? If it's on the triple, follow the wires where it passes by the steering head. That's a common spot for wiring or cables to get damaged.

Listen to this man. Oh and buy a $10 multimeter like chive did.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

I was checking the fusebox just to see if maybe the fuse blew for the ignition system and it looks like the PO put a 15 in the 10 slot for ignition. I wouldn't be surprised if a voltage fluctuation messed something up. Wiggling the key didn't do much and wiggling wires hasn't seemed to do much either.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check battery voltage first. New doesn't mean not broken.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well, having *different* cold start issues... :colbert:

:italy:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
okay, two stupid questions.

first, is there any way i can clean the decals on one side of this thing? I tried window cleaner and it didnt do anything.

Second, has anyone put one of these things on? http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

It sounds like a good idea, but it seems really expensive, so i'm curious if anyone else has tried one and had good experience with it?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

You let your Ducati get dirty?! Shameful. If you can't find a girl in a bikini to clean it in a competition style event, I'm afraid you're just going to have to buy a new one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nitrogen posted:

Second, has anyone put one of these things on? http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

It sounds like a good idea, but it seems really expensive, so i'm curious if anyone else has tried one and had good experience with it?

My question would be "why?". Here I am having just put a R1 throttle tube on my Duc for shorter throw. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nitrogen posted:

EFI Vstar guys would swear by these. It's a band-aid for unrefined fueling. If you can do a ECM flash for the same sort of dollars or less, that's a better option.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Day Man posted:

You let your Ducati get dirty?! Shameful. If you can't find a girl in a bikini to clean it in a competition style event, I'm afraid you're just going to have to buy a new one.

It'll be bikini weather here within a month so I will keep that in mind.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

How do I get the piece that would normally align the lower bearing off? The piece that is flush with the lower triple clamp.

Also, how do I get the bearing that is in the steering head of the frame off? AllBalls sent me brand new ones to go in the frame!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it's not damaged, I'd leave it - otherwise, Dremel it off, and freeze the bottom triple, and heat the new bearing race to get it on the triple.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The race pressed on the steering stem you can cut off with a dremel carefully. I cut a nice notch into mine then used a punch to break it. Don't cut all the way through and you'll be alright.

You should be able to use a punch to knock the race out of the frame itself. On my FZ1 there was a notch that let you get at the rear surface of the race. You can get it started and then tap it out. Try to keep it even as it comes out but it shouldn't be that difficult.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Yeah youtube makes it look really easy to take out the cups (race that is in the head). The frame I'm working with has been sitting in a shed for ten years and it's proving more difficult.

Z3n, that part isn't damaged but it is a different size/shape than the bushing that AllBalls sent me to go with the rest of the bearing so I figured I should replace it with theirs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh yeah if it's a different type then you need to swap it, just take it slow and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You also don't need to dick around with heating/cooling to get the new races in/on. You can do them by carefully tapping them with a brass drift.