Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It makes perfect sense. Nintendo does not want its own top tier franchises competing with each other.

They are two completely different games which wouldn't cannibalize each other at all. It's not like releasing a new mario and yoshi game at the same time.

Pretty sure they just hosed up with the timing. It's becoming glaringly obvious that they're desperate to give the impression they have a "robust" (as Reggie says) lineup, and MK8 would've made perfect sense there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I do not understand foreign currency and economics, but Nintendo said an unusually strong yen was something that hurt sales of the Wii U.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kawabata posted:

They are two completely different games which wouldn't cannibalize each other at all. It's not like releasing a new mario and yoshi game at the same time.

It doesn't matter how different of genres they are, there is significant overlap between people who would buy both games, and Nintendo does not want both of their own games competing for the same dollars.

Edit: I mean, it makes more sense than some nebulous poo poo about "loving up the timing".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kawabata posted:

People who don't have MK8 or who want to buy it again will do so regardless, just not at the same time as BOTW.

You literally answered your question.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't matter how different of genres they are, there is significant overlap between people who would buy both games, and Nintendo does not want both of their own games competing for the same dollars.

Edit: I mean, it makes more sense than some nebulous poo poo about "loving up the timing".

It's not nebulous at all, this is Nintendo taking forever to do anything and being generally disorganized. The company we know and love.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You literally answered your question.

Not at all. Regardless of when both games are bought, it's the appearance of having a great release lineup that they've aggressively been looking for, and MK8 would've been a pretty big deal. Releasing it one month later looks like it whiffed release, and might still cannibalize BOTW sales to an extent if that's what you believe (I don't).

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 24, 2017

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I do not understand foreign currency and economics, but Nintendo said an unusually strong yen was something that hurt sales of the Wii U.

Here's a super quick version that overlooks the complexity of the global economy:

Assume nintendo makes their wii u from japanese parts and makes it in japan and it costs 10000 yen to make in parts + labor + shipping + whatever. And assume the exchange rate is 10000 yen = $100. So they sell it in the US for $200 and that $100 of profit comes back as 10000 yen. Hurray.

But then godzilla attacks and wrecks japan and no one wants to hold yen anymore because the entire government could be destroyed tomorrow and the yen falls such that $100 now buys 20000 yen. They still spend the same 10000 yen to build it because they don't need to build it in a foreign country or use foreign parts so the exchange rate doesn't matter, and they still sell it for the same $200. They get $100 but now it comes back as 20000 yen. They just doubled their profit due to the weak yen.

With a strong yen, this is all reversed, which is why a strong yen would hurt their profit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

koolkal posted:

Here's a super quick version that overlooks the complexity of the global economy:

Assume nintendo makes their wii u from japanese parts and makes it in japan and it costs 10000 yen to make in parts + labor + shipping + whatever. And assume the exchange rate is 10000 yen = $100. So they sell it in the US for $200 and that $100 of profit comes back as 10000 yen. Hurray.

But then godzilla attacks and wrecks japan and no one wants to hold yen anymore because the entire government could be destroyed tomorrow and the yen falls such that $100 now buys 20000 yen. They still spend the same 10000 yen to build it because they don't need to build it in a foreign country or use foreign parts so the exchange rate doesn't matter, and they still sell it for the same $200. They get $100 but now it comes back as 20000 yen. They just doubled their profit due to the weak yen.

With a strong yen, this is all reversed, which is why a strong yen would hurt their profit.

Fascinating. Thank you.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://days.to/until/3-march
Its coming!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I need a gif of that "Here it comes!" goron from the trailer.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Fascinating. Thank you.

As I understand it, if you want to do a lot of exporting you want a weak currency, if you want to do a lot of importing you want a strong currency.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Edit: I'm dumb as hell, yo.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/23/nintendo-switch-third-party-ea-relationship/

quote:

I only spoke about FIFA today, but our company’s structure lets us release all sorts of games for every platform, so we’ll go wherever the gamers go. I think Nintendo Switch will put Nintendo at the forefront of the game industry once again. Their approach is quite different from anything they’ve done in the past – they’ve listened to EA, Activision, and other companies since the beginning of the Switch’s development, so we’ve been involved throughout the whole process. They teamed up with us because they wanted to guarantee the console would be successful. Doing business with Nintendo is very important for us… We’d like to bring more and more games over for everyone.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 24, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i feel like you can probably find an identical article about the wii u, the wii, the gamecube, etc

EA is always really positive early days and then doesn't support nintendo consoles at all

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

i feel like you can probably find an identical article about the wii u, the wii, the gamecube, etc

EA is always really positive early days and then doesn't support nintendo consoles at all

I mean, if you can go for it. I've been operating under the assumption that EA doesn't actually give a poo poo about Nintendo, and found this odd.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

glassyalabolas posted:

speaking of JPN, I am Setsuna is confirmed for Switch launch. Digital only.

I never played the PS4 version so I'm curious about this game.

its bad
its like final fantasy 2 in plot and characters, the entire game take splace in the two tilesets you see in the first ten minutes of the game and the chriono trigger ish combat isnt even worth caring about when every enemy is a brittle hp sponge that eats like six regular attacks or dies to a single whatever the sequence attacks are with the points
so every battle is literally you waiting out four atb bars and then ending the battle in one attack

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RVWinkle posted:

I'm thinking we'll see a 1 2 switch bundle for Christmas.

Oh, that would actually be really clever. Slap a digital copy of 1,2 switch in it, keep charging 300 big ones and act like we're getting a bargain.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, if you can go for it. I've been operating under the assumption that EA doesn't actually give a poo poo about Nintendo, and found this odd.

"EA: Wii U will be successful" is a headline that makes me chuckle.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Wellp.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Headline: "The Wii U will be successful!"
Actual Quote: "If the Wii U is successful, I guess we'll be forced to create games for it. *shrugs*"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Okay, yeah there is a meaningful difference between "if this console is successful we'll make games for it" and "Nintendo listened to us and other 3rd parties all throughout development of the Switch".

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
EA's always been poo poo on Nintendo home consoles.

The NES got a couple of games.
The SNES pretty much only got lovely Genesis ports of sports games.
N64 got the yearly sports games, 007: TWINE, and Beetle Adventure Racing.
GameCube support was borderline good compared to their other consoles.
Wii got sports, shovelware, and PS2 ports.
Wii U got pretty much nothing.

So, who's surprised by EA being a bit poo poo on this Nintendo console? There's never been a Nintendo console that could be called "well-supported" by EA.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its Lack of third party support that kept me from realizing there is nothing i want to play from Ubisoft or EA in years, Activision too I guess. Bring on Europe and Japan third party support please.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Its Lack of third party support that kept me from realizing there is nothing i want to play from Ubisoft or EA in years, Activision too I guess. Bring on Europe and Japan third party support please.

I really want to get some weird Euro games. Every time the Anglo-Saxon talks about his childhood in gaming, it sounds like he's from an alternate dimension.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But now we have FIFA and NBA2k18 coming :woop:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Infinitum posted:

But now we have FIFA and NBA2k18 coming :woop:

Last sports game that was "realisitc" that i Liked was 2ksports football game on dreamcast. And thats only because if you got good at the stiff arm you were loving robocop of runs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics was pretty realistic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Ill take CD.Project, Larian Studios, the steamworld devs, and .... who am I missing?
Please 4 player Divinity Original Sin 2 needs to be on Switch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What I really want to see from a 3rd party is a game that takes advantage of the idea of meeting someone else with a Switch on the go. Not an ARG, but something you can sync up and battle right away.

Oh poo poo, imagine if Nintendo did this with a Star Fox game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Bring back Metroid Hunters had a blast with it and 3 friends in Yellowstone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I bought it on clearance at Target for $15 simply because it came with a motion plus wiimote. Played team curling a couple times. Traded the game for like 5bux. Fantastic deal would buy again (if it came with a joycon)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-WuhfLuPuU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is apparently coming to the Switch as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0INc_35W6PI

Lookin sort Deus Ex'y

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437630/

quote:

State of Mind is a futuristic thriller game delving into transhumanism. The game explores themes of separation, disjuncture and reunification, in a world that is torn between a dystopian material reality and a utopian virtual future.
Employing multiple playable characters and two separate game worlds, State of Mind explores the existential drama that develops in a society on the brink of post-material existence.

You are Richard Nolan, a father and journalist from Berlin who discovers that he has been subject to an accident. As a result, he is still living with incomplete memories.

Upon realizing that he is literally a torn man, Richard sets out on a dramatic and dangerous search for salvation. He aims to reunite with his family, as well as with his own lost memories. On his way, he soon realizes that this journey isn’t only about him, but about the future of mankind.

Key Features
  • 3rd Person Adventure
  • Story-driven gameplay experience
  • Switching between two game worlds
  • Multiple story layers
  • Multiple playable characters
  • Unique artstyle

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

We'll never get another metroid game. At this point I'll settle for other m 2.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Bring back Metroid Hunters had a blast with it and 3 friends in Yellowstone.

Hell yeah

The touchscreen aiming was really good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm genuinely expecting Octopath Traveler to be Ringabels game and the next Bravely Default in disguise.

The title font is literally the exact same as is the art style and spoilers for Bravely Second you do find out that Ringabel is part of a timeline/dimension hopping group now so what if one of the worlds was all sprite art or something :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^I love everything about this^^

AlphaKeny1 posted:

We'll never get another metroid game. At this point I'll settle for other m 2.

You're not authorized to make this joke

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Jimmy Hats posted:

They've outright stated a kerjillion times Retro is not working on donkey kong or metroid. Which means they're working on Donkey Kong Prime: DK vs Metroid

Do you have proof? I have never seen a single quote from Retro or Nintendo saying anything of the sort

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What I really want to see from a 3rd party is a game that takes advantage of the idea of meeting someone else with a Switch on the go. Not an ARG, but something you can sync up and battle right away.

Oh poo poo, imagine if Nintendo did this with a Star Fox game.

everyone please look forward to the fourth rerelease and extremely conservatively soft reboot of starfox 64 in three years time justified by there being no audience who knows the rolling canon for starfox because all nintendo ever does is conservatively soft reboot the franchise with a every four years with a starfox 64 soft reboot

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Mainly cause Nintendo always fails to give them a reason to.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_JFIS0ga5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zolthorg posted:

everyone please look forward to the fourth rerelease and extremely conservatively soft reboot of starfox 64 in three years time justified by there being no audience who knows the rolling canon for starfox because all nintendo ever does is conservatively soft reboot the franchise with a every four years with a starfox 64 soft reboot

I wonder what lessons Nintendo can learn from SF0. Miyamoto is probably not going to be heavily involved in any future game design, but if the youngbloods can take a look at what works and what doesn't, I think the franchise could still have a future.

Also, someone made a remark way back when about the joycons being great for a pod racing game, and I realized I want that control scheme, but for a new F-Zero title.

• Locked thread