Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Found new float and needle valves and a new petcock on ebay. Both with free shipping and under $50 total. Gonna order those when I get back from my vacation. Will probaly start an "Oh god I'm opening my carbueretor up wtf" thread when I get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Found new float and needle valves and a new petcock on ebay. Both with free shipping and under $50 total. Gonna order those when I get back from my vacation. Will probaly start an "Oh god I'm opening my carbueretor up wtf" thread when I get them.

I just did that exact thing yesterday. It wasn't that bad!

It will be that bad in a week when my engine is flooded again and I realize that I did the installation incorrectly.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Wizard of Smart posted:

If you can give me some heads-up time, you're welcome to come out here and borrow tools. My neighbor probably knows his poo poo when it comes to old carbs, too.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Any thoughts on what I should do with an '04 Suzuki GS500F after buying a CBR650F? Some details.

To get it ride-able, the oil filter cover has 2/3 bolts stripped that need fixing (I'd like to "softly" hit whoever thought it was OK to just say tighten in a technical manual, and not give at least a general torque). After that, a mechanic mentioned the camshafts shims likely need adjustment. Cosmetically, its dropped on its side a few times, and had one low slide at about 40km/h that rashed a cover and took out a turn signal. Sitting a tender young mileage of 57K km.

To me it might be worth it as a cheap learner bike for a season or two if the filter cover is fixed, or just as a parts bike. But I have no use for it myself, and would rather not store it for no reason.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
...sell it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

...sell it?

:lol:

I'm not quite sure what he's asking us. :shrug:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Golluk posted:

Any thoughts on what I should do with an '04 Suzuki GS500F after buying a CBR650F? Some details.

To get it ride-able, the oil filter cover has 2/3 bolts stripped that need fixing (I'd like to "softly" hit whoever thought it was OK to just say tighten in a technical manual, and not give at least a general torque). After that, a mechanic mentioned the camshafts shims likely need adjustment. Cosmetically, its dropped on its side a few times, and had one low slide at about 40km/h that rashed a cover and took out a turn signal. Sitting a tender young mileage of 57K km.

To me it might be worth it as a cheap learner bike for a season or two if the filter cover is fixed, or just as a parts bike. But I have no use for it myself, and would rather not store it for no reason.

Thing is trashed man. Where you located I'll take it to the garbage dump for ya.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Chichevache posted:

:lol:

I'm not quite sure what he's asking us. :shrug:

Yeah, pretty much a question of if I should fix it at all and try to sell it. Try to sell it as is. Or just scrap it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You know if it is worth your time and money to have it done. If you're paying someone else to do all of that it is definitely not worth it. Doing it yourself...maybe for the price you could sell it for. But you could just sell it cheap and be done with it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Golluk posted:

Yeah, pretty much a question of if I should fix it at all and try to sell it. Try to sell it as is. Or just scrap it.

Yeah, nsap is right on this. Decide whether you want to invest your own blood, sweat, and tears in fixing it up, but don't pay some other bozo to do it if you're just going to sell the thing anyway. If money isn't an issue and you don't want to wrench, scrap it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Golluk posted:

As a fellow GS500 owner...

sell it.

The oil filter cover needs to be tightened to 60in/lbs and are known to strip easily. While you can fix those bolts, or get them turned out, or one of the various ways to do this... its easier to just sell the bike.
This is what GSTwins has to say about the oil filter bolts:

quote:

Close all the bolts and the drain plug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN since the bolts are prone to breaking, and close each nut a little at a time until tight.

By camshaft shims he probably means valve shims, which is a pretty easy job and can be done at home if you pick up the right tools. http://gstwin.com/adjust_valves.htm

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I have 2 spare studs for the GS500 oil filter cover if you need one. I bought 3 when I had to replace one due to the same stupid issue.

EDIT: How hard is it to get extra Oxford disk lock keys? I was given an Oxford Disk lock by another CA goon, and would like to get extra keys for it. There's a stamp code that came with the keys, but I have not figured out how to order new keys. Is this even possible?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I don't mind trying to fix the striped bolts issue myself. I really should seeing as I bought a lift with the intention of doing it. I have replaced the shims before, though they are apita to get just right.

Really more just a matter of free time to do it. could make for a rainy day project.

If you don't mind mailing one up to Canada I'd take one off your hands.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How stupid would it be for me to try and change my own tubeless tires? Consider that it would be my first time, and I'm skilled enough to change my oil/replace CV joints/struts/shocks on a car but not much more than that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Radbot posted:

How stupid would it be for me to try and change my own tubeless tires? Consider that it would be my first time, and I'm skilled enough to change my oil/replace CV joints/struts/shocks on a car but not much more than that.

Not stupid at all. It's great motivation to never do it again and just seek out a friend with a tire changer or find an indie type shop that'll do it cheap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Not stupid at all. It's great motivation to never do it again and just seek out a friend with a tire changer or find an indie type shop that'll do it cheap.

Hahahaha, so much this.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Golluk posted:

Unrelated but what do you think of the 650?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha, so much this.

For real. Everyone comes out guns blazing with their dinky 12 inch tire irons thinking they're hot poo poo and they can change any tire and then they give it a shot and never go back haha.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Baller Witness Bro posted:

For real. Everyone comes out guns blazing with their dinky 12 inch tire irons thinking they're hot poo poo and they can change any tire and then they give it a shot and never go back haha.

I found it depends on the brand/type of tyre and the quality of the tyre changing rig. Soft tyres like pilot powers are a piece of piss, pilot roads not so much, and it simply doesn't work if the rig thing just falls to bits or bends when you try to exert force.

I just use the tyre machine at work :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My favorite way to save a little money on tire changes is to bring the wheels in off the bike. I can't be bothered to actually change the rubber myself.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Barnsy posted:

Unrelated but what do you think of the 650?

I'll let you know once I actually ride it. I'm putting a bit (OK a lot) of trust in Honda with this. I've test rode most of their sport line up from the CBR250 up to the 1000, and about the only bike I didn't like was the NC700. Suzuki and Kawi in the 500-650 range had something I didn't like about them. I did of course spend some time sitting on the bike, so all I know at the moment is I like the posture on it. Only complaints I've read about so far are some vibration issues, which I doubt I'll notice coming from a twin, and a bit of heat from the exhaust on your heel for some people.

I'm waiting for some good rain and the street sweepers before I pick it up and do a break in ride. Still too much salt and crap on the roads around here.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I found it depends on the brand/type of tyre and the quality of the tyre changing rig. Soft tyres like pilot powers are a piece of piss, pilot roads not so much, and it simply doesn't work if the rig thing just falls to bits or bends when you try to exert force.
Dunlop 404s or whatever is the common cruiser tire are the worst goddamn tires. They're made of concrete. Even with a tire machine and 3 irons and one of those blow jug bead seaters and 3 people they're hard to do.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Is there a cheap version of a steering bearing installer?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Golluk posted:

Only complaints I've read about so far are some vibration issues, which I doubt I'll notice coming from a twin

Maybe, maybe not. I think a twin has more tolerable vibration than a 4cyl hand buzzer. The Suzuki fours I've rode literally hurt at certain resonant rpms.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ChewedFood posted:

+

All I've ever used on every steering stem.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A mallet and a block of wood. Or what slavvy said.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ChewedFood posted:

Have you gotten the old ones out yet? That's usually the hard part.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
The old ones are out, the new ones are in. I hammered them in with a block of wood until they were flush then I tried to hammer the old inner race to smash the new inner race (the races are supposed to sit recessed like 1/4") with no luck. Soooo they need to go a bit further. I think I can cut a bit of wood tapered to fit. I can definitely cast an aluminum thing to fit in and smash them into place but will the aluminum damage the race?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can use the old races to bang them in. It's risky but it works; just hit harder. Alloy shouldn't hurt, if you have the means of making a decent driver that'll press evenly all around.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

About my size, good deal?

$500

quote:

Dainese Indy Leather Jacket - Size 52

Dainese Pelle Leather pants with pucks (never touched the ground) - Size 52

The pants do zip into the Jacket. Both were used minimally and look brand new. Never in any accidents. Not separating. The jacket does have a zip in liner for cold riding days and it also includes the Dainese CE elbow and shoulder insert pads.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

My favorite way to save a little money on tire changes is to bring the wheels in off the bike. I can't be bothered to actually change the rubber myself.

OK, that's what I'll do. This is going to sound insanely retarded, but how do you support a bike that has no wheels on it while the tires are being changed?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

OK, that's what I'll do. This is going to sound insanely retarded, but how do you support a bike that has no wheels on it while the tires are being changed?

Usually they just kind of float there until you put the wheels back on, but if yours doesn't for some reason I guess you could buy a center stand. :shrug:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pit stands or a motorcycle jack. http://local.sears.com/Craftsman-MotorcycleATV-Jack/p-00950190000P?st=2049&sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Radbot posted:

Just tie it to the frame instead. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radbot posted:

HotCanadianChick posted:

In related news, I fabbed up one of a pair of front stands for my fizzer so I can yank the forks off and install new seals and fresh oil. There's small lugs on the front of the engine case on both sides, so I'm making a pair of stands to prop it up at the front when it's on the center stand.

And here is where the peg hooks in to support the bike:

Just need to weld up the second one for the other side tomorrow. Not pretty, but they don't really have to be.

:v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

About my size, good deal?

$500

Yeah, that's a good deal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I realised something the other day. There is a road I ride down every day to get to work which has two roundabouts in a row (the council loves roundabouts in industrial areas) which aren't intersections because the side roads haven't been built yet, so you have no choice but to go straight through. They're essentially chicanes with perfect visibility and good pavement.

When I go through there on either bike I have to shove on the bar quite hard to get the bike to flip-flop left-right-left. Yet I remember doing the same thing on my zx10 and it did it with the greatest of ease. Common wisdom dictates that because the hyosung has narrower tyres, big wide bars and is lighter, it should be easier to get it to change direction at those sorts of speeds (around 60-70km/h) than a comparatively large, heavier bike with short stubby bars. But this isn't the case. The ninja felt like it would instantly respond to the slightest push on the bars, yet the hyosung and hornet I have to heave on them hard enough that I feel like I'm gripping the bars too tight. Why is this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Why is this?

Rake angle and other black magic potions of steering geometry. That's why sport bikes steer quick and sometimes need steering dampers while other bike designs opt for more stability over quicker turn-in.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

I realised something the other day. There is a road I ride down every day to get to work which has two roundabouts in a row (the council loves roundabouts in industrial areas) which aren't intersections because the side roads haven't been built yet, so you have no choice but to go straight through. They're essentially chicanes with perfect visibility and good pavement.

When I go through there on either bike I have to shove on the bar quite hard to get the bike to flip-flop left-right-left. Yet I remember doing the same thing on my zx10 and it did it with the greatest of ease. Common wisdom dictates that because the hyosung has narrower tyres, big wide bars and is lighter, it should be easier to get it to change direction at those sorts of speeds (around 60-70km/h) than a comparatively large, heavier bike with short stubby bars. But this isn't the case. The ninja felt like it would instantly respond to the slightest push on the bars, yet the hyosung and hornet I have to heave on them hard enough that I feel like I'm gripping the bars too tight. Why is this?

At a guess, probably the rake / trail of the steering. I expect the ZX had a much steeper rake than the hyoshit.

Motorcycle Handling & Chassis Design by Tony Foale is a great book if you're properly interested in the science of it all.

EDIT: Jinx

EDIT2: Found a gif that says it nicely

EDIT3:
Hmm and offset too.

http://www.gotagteam.com/KTM_Days/Story_Pages/2010/AFM_round-7_10.html

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Z3n posted:

Yeah, that's a good deal.

Cool. I know Dainese is $$$$ stuff. I'm going to have to try it on of course but he has the same dimensions as me. The pants seem ideal as over pants I wear really thin light pants on my commute for my uniform and changing isn't really an option.