Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

I don't know if he will ever get over the fact that he made a "mistake." I don't even call it a mistake when he refers to it. (Because in my field of work, we like to call mistakes "learning experiences....and such.") He has a compulsive need to be liked. It's just something that has always be ingrained in his personality, especially when it comes to family competition.
Our situation with this seems comical sometimes. My fiance is a really big enthusiast in a certain hobby that involved trading big pieces of ornamental furniture. He has a lot of online friends that he trades with. I went to help him move and exchange furniture in real life with a friend that he's only ever met online. He introduced me as his wife to his friend's wife. While the guys were upstairs moving, she turned to me angrily and said "I can't believe you made him get rid of this one piece. Why did you do that?" Obviously, he had been complaining about Ex-wife online. And now apparently I was playing the part of Ex-wife. A complete stranger was mad at me for something I didn't do.
So, that wasn't fun. I told him later it was really uncomfortable. He apologized and said that he had been complaining about Ex-wife on the message boards. He tried to make things better by saying he felt like I was more of his wife than Ex-wife ever was. It didn't help. I asked him to stop acting like we were the same person.

quote:

Definitely lying to his employees and co-workers. He thinks there is some shame in divorcing and remarrying so quickly. Definitely lying to parents. They are not crazy about his divorce and they think we had an affair. That situation is uncomfortable. So yes. He is lying a lot to people. And it's because he's afraid of being judged for his decisions. He has really bad anxiety about what people think of him. It's definitely not okay, because I don't want to hide my engagement. I shouldn't have to live in the shadows of his other life choices. So last night was the first time I actually said I was super uncomfortable with him trying to act like I've been his wife forever.

hmmm....

... :murder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Pick posted:

hmmm....

... :murder:

:yeah:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ahahahahahaha holy poo poo wow. "Honey, I know my family has always hated you and forced us to break up once, but I'd still rather have them believe you were a homewrecker than admit I married a crazy person! This is totally the action of someone who loves and cares about you and isn't trying to spackle over his messy divorce with the first woman he could dupe into marrying him!!"

I also want to know what the ratio of "money this dude has spent on his antique-furniture hobby" to "money this dude has ever spent on something that would make his fiancee happy"

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

I don't know if he will ever get over the fact that he made a "mistake." I don't even call it a mistake when he refers to it. (Because in my field of work, we like to call mistakes "learning experiences....and such.") He has a compulsive need to be liked. It's just something that has always be ingrained in his personality, especially when it comes to family competition.
Our situation with this seems comical sometimes. My fiance is a really big enthusiast in a certain hobby that involved trading big pieces of ornamental furniture. He has a lot of online friends that he trades with. I went to help him move and exchange furniture in real life with a friend that he's only ever met online. He introduced me as his wife to his friend's wife. While the guys were upstairs moving, she turned to me angrily and said "I can't believe you made him get rid of this one piece. Why did you do that?" Obviously, he had been complaining about Ex-wife online. And now apparently I was playing the part of Ex-wife. A complete stranger was mad at me for something I didn't do.
So, that wasn't fun. I told him later it was really uncomfortable. He apologized and said that he had been complaining about Ex-wife on the message boards. He tried to make things better by saying he felt like I was more of his wife than Ex-wife ever was. It didn't help. I asked him to stop acting like we were the same person.
A simple "that was my fiancé's ex wife, not me" would clear things up real quick, but that might embarrass your garbage future husband, so better to just silently accept a complete stranger's angry criticism

Edit: the more I think about the more appalled I get. This dude apparently had no problem bitching about his ex to all his friends and colleagues, then saw NO need to clarify that she isn't that same person. gently caress this dude.

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 13, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Did monkeyfight video girl ever work things out with her bitchmade boyfriend

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Baby this is serious. You should not enjoy these things. There are two things important in every relationship: communication and missionary sex. Videos of animals fighting is not a healthy source of entertainment for a lady.

[ANGRY MONKEY NOISES]

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Elsa posted:

[ANGRY MONKEY NOISES]

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
We peaked too soon with the current title, but The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > /r/relationships: [ANGRY MONKEY NOISES] has a great ring to it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Was I the only one incredibly creeped out by that? Like I watch documentaries on serial killers, crime etc and while nature videos are interesting I couldn't flippantly talk about being entertained by a video of chimpanzees punching/beating up a raccoon. That just sounds like a hosed up thing to want to witch

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I watch nature documentaries and seeing animals hunt other animals is v. interesting

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

p rude posted:

A simple "that was my fiancé's ex wife, not me" would clear things up real quick, but that might embarrass your garbage future husband, so better to just silently accept a complete stranger's angry criticism

Edit: the more I think about the more appalled I get. This dude apparently had no problem bitching about his ex to all his friends and colleagues, then saw NO need to clarify that she isn't that same person. gently caress this dude.
:agreed:

I really feel like this lady needs to put her loving foot down and remind her jerk fiance (lol, she should back down to "girlfriend" again and remind him that she doesn't have to marry him, too) that she controls what people think of her, not him. Actually, she should :sever:

my impression of this rear end in a top hat is that he thinks if he keeps spending to a minimum and centers his marriage around himself, he's not going to "ruin his wife". gently caress this dude! :murder:

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Was I the only one incredibly creeped out by that? Like I watch documentaries on serial killers, crime etc and while nature videos are interesting I couldn't flippantly talk about being entertained by a video of chimpanzees punching/beating up a raccoon. That just sounds like a hosed up thing to want to watch

gonna mirthless this up a little but weird murderous animal behavior is pretty fascinating. I'm legit terrified of chimps and apes but otter violence is interesting in a grim sort of way. People have this impression that only humans (and maybe cats) kill for fun, and, nope, tons of animals do.

also I have this youtube channel i'm subscribed to where a guy raises mink and trains them to hunt muskrats, and I have watched it for hours. if anybody wants a link to the channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/josephdcarter

however, if she's watching so much of this poo poo that it's the only thing showing up in recommended videos, i think that is a really bad sign

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 13, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Was I the only one incredibly creeped out by that? Like I watch documentaries on serial killers, crime etc and while nature videos are interesting I couldn't flippantly talk about being entertained by a video of chimpanzees punching/beating up a raccoon. That just sounds like a hosed up thing to want to witch

It makes sense to me if she has a history of death metal and he's asian or something. Comes from a culture of arranged marriages maybe. I thought the most unfortunate thing was the accidental youtube history. It seemed like he decided to revisit the topic as a result, and to her it would seem out of the blue.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I for one find it very suspicious that Pick has avoided commenting on animal violence girl. Do you taxidermy the winner or the loser of your monkey versus raccoon cage matches?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I for one find it very suspicious that Pick has avoided commenting on animal violence girl. Do you taxidermy the winner or the loser of your monkey versus raccoon cage matches?
We both know it's an "and", not an or.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

No champion remains on top forever.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

p rude posted:

Well I for one do NOT want my wife to gently caress someone other than me

I was about to call you a prude as a joke, then I saw your username. Nice post+username combo.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
A rare post from the perspective of a gains goblin.

For the past year, my (28f) husband (29m) has spent an incredible amount of time with my best friend (29f) as they train for an Ironman triathlon. I was ok with it at first but now I'm insanely jealous at/for both of them. Relationships

quote:

submitted 5 months ago by husbandtrainsfriend

I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to keep this short. My husband has been a triathlete since I met him and he's really good. In fact, if he wanted he could probably turn pro but the reality is he has a good job with a good future and doesn't have to deal with the fickleness of being a pro athlete in a small-ish sport where only the top 10% make real money.

Anyways, about 1.5 years ago my best friend since childhood, Alessicca was dumped two days before her wedding and entered a deep depression, gained 50 lbs in 4 months and was seriously considering committing herself to long term inpatient psychiatric care. On sort of a freak occurrence, she ran into Ryan while he was out on a run and got super inspired to take up running (and later triathlon) to pull herself out of her slump. She did it herself for a few months and then I suggested that maybe Ryan could work with her.

After about 2 months of this, Alessicca was an utterly different person. She was bright and cheery again, she was thankful that the wedding had been called off (former fiance had since been arrested twice for DUI--ruining everything from career to family) and she had lost considerable weight. About this time they decided to train together for the Ironman race in Arizona coming up this November.

At first they spend a reasonable amount of time together training. But since June they started a program where they are with each other for about 4-5 hours a day (somedays longer) except Mondays which is their rest day. But even then sometimes on Monday they will get together and eat, make food, plan cycling routes, etc...

There is nothing in me that thinks they are cheating. They both come home stinky and sweaty and they start most workouts from our house, or at least meet here to drive to the pool. But the reality is...I'm jealous. I'm jealous that she gets to see him much more than I do, I'm jealous that he's the one that gets to hear all her news first (she's dating a new guy and her dad, who I've known since I was 3 has cancer--Ryan heard both of these things first). Even though I know they aren't cheating, I have several of the women I work with who remind me constantly that men and women (and they love to remind me how cute and fit Alessicca has become) don't spend that much time together without something happening.

Part of me just thinks that I should bottle my frustration. As many triathlons Ryan has done, this will be his first full Ironman and I don't want to take that away from him. Alessicca is a different person and happy again with this in her life and I don't want to take that away from her either. They will be done November 20th so I could just let this slide until then but I'm also worried that they will continue on as better friends/partners than I am with either of them.

I feel like a third wheel in my own marriage and with my own best friend. Should I just wait until the race is over and see how this pans out or should I express my frustration now at the risk of hurting both of them and what they want/have accomplished?

tl;dr: Husband and best friend have become triathlon training partners and spend a minimum of 4-5 hours a day together. I am jealous of both of them. This should end after the race is over, as should my jealousy, so should I bottle up my frustration and let this dissipate naturally or should I express myself to both of them now?

Jealous wife should get beefy with them instead of complaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhl5K0mTSKY

EDIT: ahahaha this loving comment

quote:

Gibonius 913 points 5 months ago
There's a term for this: "Ironman Widow."

Is there anything :spergin:s won't take to stupid lenghts?

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 13, 2017

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, no, I'm the same. Crime shows and documentaries about sharks or crocodiles are cool.

But I always tear up and look away from any videos of animals getting beaten. There was one that was going around Facebook about a deer curbstomping a neighbourhood dog. I had to take some time to decompress from that one. :smith:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^im really trying to wrap my head around exactly what it is that bothers me? Maybe the idea of watching animals hurt one another kind of echoes a feeling of voyeurism that I associate with dog fighting and that sort of thing? Lion taking down a gazelle or an eagle snagging a rabbit is one thing but maybe it's her particular example and finding it funny that just really pings something off about the whole thing.

Bubblyblubber posted:

A rare post from the perspective of a gains goblin.

For the past year, my (28f) husband (29m) has spent an incredible amount of time with my best friend (29f) as they train for an Ironman triathlon. I was ok with it at first but now I'm insanely jealous at/for both of them. Relationships

Jealous wife should get beefy with them instead of complaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhl5K0mTSKY

The gently caress kind of white nonsense name is Alessicca

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 13, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to keep this short.
Maybe if you tried harder you wouldn't be losing out to a race, girl

^im really trying to wrap my head around exactly what it is that bothers me? Maybe the idea of watching animals hurt one another kind of echoes a feeling of voyeurism that I associate with dog fighting and that sort of thing? Lion taking down a gazelle or an eagle snagging a rabbit is one thing but maybe it's her particular example and finding it funny that just really pings something off about the whole thing.

watching animals kill each other was like 75% of entertainment people had before TV, but otoh the other 25% was coming up with inventive ways to torture people so
her fixation definitely tips the 'serial killer' end of the scale.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

The gently caress kind of white nonsense name is Alessicca

A unique one and maybe the husband is a redditor or knows the account. Maybe this is her way of telling him.

I've met wives who say they meet up with a running partner and I may have been invited to do the same. It's the perfect cover. You come home sweaty and just want to shower and nap.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

For me, it's the idea that an animal is being needlessly harmed. The animal being hurt isn't prey, and it's death won't serve to feed the other creature. Shows about large predators often show the predator taking down it's prey quickly and efficiently. I do have a harder time watching ones where an animal is suffering for a long time before being killed. The sound of an animal in distress just triggers something in me that makes me cry my eyes out.

Taking pleasure in watching another creature in distress is just sickening to me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

It sounds like you don't mind watching a sudden kill, but you do mind something that looks like a sustained assault, which I can understand. Animals kill to eat all the time, and that's natural, but an animal beating and hurting another animal in a fight seems more like human behavior, and it's kind of ugly and disturbing to watch. It's also a lot easier to empathize with a living creature that's being hurt by another, than it is with a creature which has just been killed by another.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

watching animals kill each other was like 75% of entertainment people had before TV, but otoh the other 25% was coming up with inventive ways to torture people so
her fixation definitely tips the 'serial killer' end of the scale.

I was married to a biologist who made extra cash working off tour boats and she - and all her colleagues - would be described as exceptionally weird by most people when it came to death and the remains of animals. They, of course, would just call it professional curiosity.

More than once, she'd drag home the remains of something :airquote:interesting:airquote: which had just died so she could poke it with a stick dissect it. Everything from a giant cuttlefish to the sharp end of a shark she'd watched get bitten in half by a crocodile and then dragged into the tour boat to the utter horror of all the poor passengers.

I couldn't count the number of times I would come home to find the something unspeakable in an esky by the door and have her shout, "Don't touch that, I want its eyeballs!"

But she and her colleagues would never go out of their way to watch animals die. Death happens, but it's just one part of life. Going out of your way to seek out that, and only that?

That's pretty hosed up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

whatever gently caress yall im gonna make millions in my animal fighting ring

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was married to a biologist who made extra cash working off tour boats and she - and all her colleagues - would be described as exceptionally weird by most people when it came to death and the remains of animals. They, of course, would just call it professional curiosity.

More than once, she'd drag home the remains of something :airquote:interesting:airquote: which had just died so she could poke it with a stick dissect it. Everything from a giant cuttlefish to the sharp end of a shark she'd watched get bitten in half by a crocodile and then dragged into the tour boat to the utter horror of all the poor passengers.

I couldn't count the number of times I would come home to find the something unspeakable in an esky by the door and have her shout, "Don't touch that, I want its eyeballs!"

But she and her colleagues would never go out of their way to watch animals die. Death happens, but it's just one part of life. Going out of your way to seek out that, and only that?

That's pretty hosed up.

Yeah, as someone who couldn't even swat a mosquito as a kid, I had a small collection of animal bones that I had found in fields. Cow bones, part of a pig skull, a rabbit skull, a few rib bones... had the remains of a huge dragonfly at one point that I really wish I had gotten preserved in resin. I currently have a couple pendants of beetles in resin and a fossilized shark tooth necklace that I wear frequently.

Taking an interest in animal remains and wanting to watch animals suffer are two very different things.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

This weekend, we pit a wildebeest against a bison is a clash born on the Plains and Savannah

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bubblyblubber posted:

I really love posts like this where goons inadvertently show off how sheltered they are by being surprised at a really common colloquialism.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Im pretty sure that kind of racing kills marriages about as fast as classic cars do

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elsa posted:

It makes sense to me if she has a history of death metal and he's asian or something. Comes from a culture of arranged marriages maybe. I thought the most unfortunate thing was the accidental youtube history. It seemed like he decided to revisit the topic as a result, and to her it would seem out of the blue.

Elsa posted:

A unique one and maybe the husband is a redditor or knows the account. Maybe this is her way of telling him.

I've met wives who say they meet up with a running partner and I may have been invited to do the same. It's the perfect cover. You come home sweaty and just want to shower and nap.

:allears:

Elsa!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Gerblyn posted:

It sounds like you don't mind watching a sudden kill, but you do mind something that looks like a sustained assault, which I can understand. Animals kill to eat all the time, and that's natural, but an animal beating and hurting another animal in a fight seems more like human behavior, and it's kind of ugly and disturbing to watch. It's also a lot easier to empathize with a living creature that's being hurt by another, than it is with a creature which has just been killed by another.

That sounds about right. So when she says

quote:

So, I sent him a video of a bunch of chimps beating up a raccoon in a zoo. I thought it was funny/interesting because the chimps were punching it and that's such a human thing to do.

And finding it funny, ha-ha funny or otherwise is just downright fuckin weird to me. Like perverse enjoyment from watching it. Likely because it lacks any empathy for the animal in distress.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Imagine getting rightfully called out by Mirthless for being a weirdo

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I won't say whether I did or didn't but I will say I regret my decisions.

The arranged marriage cultural thing though, that situation doesn't strike you as somekind of parental discussion? The nitty gritty of what's wrong or right when it's just curiosity. Seems like a very man-of-the-house imposition and that type of culture is common in asia. As an example. It's not always racism.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Elsa I say this in the nicest way possible but did you take your meds today

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elsa posted:

I won't say whether I did or didn't but I will say I regret my decisions.

The arranged marriage cultural thing though, that situation doesn't strike you as somekind of parental discussion? The nitty gritty of what's wrong or right when it's just curiosity. Seems like a very man-of-the-house imposition and that type of culture is common in asia. As an example. It's not always racism.

what strikes me as odd is that you just brought up an arranged marriage, an extremely uncommon thing among Reddit users (given the majority of posters are from the US)

just tell us about your failed arranged marriage please

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

zakharov posted:

Imagine getting rightfully called out by Mirthless for being a weirdo

Ban em both, let the leper's colony sort them out

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Let's watch every animal fight! Spider versus bat! Tiger versus rat! Rabbit versus dove!
No one's getting out!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tune in on Sunday when a saltwater crocodile is pitted against a grizzly bear!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To make them fight at my request
To laugh at them my cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't enjoy violence but animals are violent :shrug:.