Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Coughing Hobo posted:

I don't even remember the last time I said to myself "I can't wait for next week's Hajime no Ippo."

Prepare to be extremely underwhelmed:

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/38640874/1

At 13 pages, it is not precisely a very eventful chapter. I guess Morikawa is saving his stuff for :siren: chapter 1000 :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Good to see scanlations finally caught up though. I guess it was kind of obvious already, but this probably proves that the only reason no one was bothering about Ippo is it was getting too poo poo to motivate anyone to scanlate it.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 1000

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
loving hell, ONE THOUSAND Chapters. How many more manga can claim to have reached that sort of mile stone? 5 or so? Either way that is completely insane!

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Holy poo poo, that Takamura drawing by Miura :swoon:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

1000 chapters is an awesome feat. We've been through a long journey y'all. I honestly can't tell if Volg is going to lose and die or if he will pull off the Ippo like victory now. I know what I want to happen.

Also Takamura drawn by Berserk dude is beyond awesome.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Well I guess now that he invoked the burning Japanese spirit, he has to win.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Alright! Issue 1000! Something awesome is bound to happen in this.... oh.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tourettes Echinda posted:

Holy poo poo, that Takamura drawing by Miura :swoon:

It was amazing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo what a small world. Miura worked under Morikawa? :psyduck: Also seconding the awesome Takamura that Miura did.

Also, goddamn it. Don't drag this too long.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1001

So close to doing the thing. Will his Samurai Wolf Spirit win the day? Better find out next chapter.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

FFFFF, WHY IS THIS NOT LIKE 3 PAGES LONGER

I'M SO TENSE I DON'T EVEN KNOW JEEZ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Normally I'd be unimpressed that Morikawa was taking forever to get through a story but he's really done such a nice job with this one that it's built up tension in an entertaining, exciting way. Good to see he still has it. Hopefully he can continue the next arc like this one as well. The fights, despite reading 1000 chapters of them have been pretty interesting and not terribly gimmicky.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I need a time machine to go to the next translated release. Man, this fight is really good, and it cut off exactly where we need to see it :negative:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Next chapter's up. http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/85453485/1

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I read it and got really sad. Of course samurai spirit isn't going to work for Vorg he's a baka gaijin.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Raw's out for 1003. Things get really, really good.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Raw's out for 1003. Things get really, really good.

I usually don't read raws but man. I hope the series keep up like this, enough with the gimmicky rivals. This match is just too good. Vorg is such a monster now

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The raw is also out for 1004, which is good too, but

Looks like the anti-western themes are rearing their head again. Something to do with the Referee helping Mike and trying to ensure he still can box I think.

I keep getting the feeling like Mori is only (finally) showing a fight set in the US so he can set it up as though there's massive corruption in boxing there and that only in Japan do people have a true FIGHTING SPIRIT. So I think all Ippo's world matches will probably be set in Japan as a condition.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't get why else he keeps introducing these elements into the fight. I wish he would just focus on the boxing. It's doing well at that, but the overtones are the only thing really holding it back.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh come on, noone translated 1003 yet? :( I don't really want to read the raw's because imho the text is really important in this series, without it it's just two guys staring a lot and throwing punches sometimes.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
1003 just Hit!
http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/65386364/1
And so did Volg! Holy crap that was awesome. All the build up was totally worth that amazing double page spread. Lets hope that the next chapter doesn't take another 40 odd days to release...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
A chapter like this almost makes up for the acres and acres of poo poo we've been getting for a while now. Almost.

Great chapter.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.
Man. That was surprisingly good and made even more so by the slow pacing. Those last three pages were all the more "heck yes" for the wait.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
drat that was awesome.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Holy gently caress :stare:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
That was pretty good. And now the post-awesome moment buzz is already gone so I can look forward to 3-5 chapters before anything happens.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Best chapter of this manga in a long long time. Which is something because this has been the best fight in a long time as well.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
I saw this punch coming, like, two chapters away and it was still one of the greatest things that's happened in Ippo for a long while. I doubt this will be the end of the fight,but I'm really interested in where it will go from here and how that will affect Ippo.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I especially liked the part where the professional world champion boxer forgot that humans have two hands.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Teddles posted:

I especially liked the part where the professional world champion boxer forgot that humans have two hands.

Well I mean the idea is this all happens pretty much instantly and dialogue is just there for dramatic effect/exposition. In that case, after using both HIS arms to trap Vorg, he has basically no options for blocking the White Fang from the right. He was so focused on seeing his "trump card" that he forgot it wasn't necessarily the end in itself

The raws are up to 1007 now btw. Things happen. I wont even spoiler them though. :v:

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 11, 2013

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Chapter 1004
Well that was ridiculous. I would say there is no way this poo poo would fly in reality but then again, look at the fiasco during the Olympics last year. That said, at least the refs in that case got expelled.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I love that all of the very best fights in this series don't have Ippo as a participant.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

Chapter 1004
Well that was ridiculous. I would say there is no way this poo poo would fly in reality but then again, look at the fiasco during the Olympics last year. That said, at least the refs in that case got expelled.

Eh. I bet that this would actually happen in reality. Look at some of the bigger split decisions lately. This manga has never really touched on this bad side of boxing before which has been nice in a way. But, I don't see this being too unrealistic either.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Breaky posted:

Eh. I bet that this would actually happen in reality. Look at some of the bigger split decisions lately. This manga has never really touched on this bad side of boxing before which has been nice in a way. But, I don't see this being too unrealistic either.
Nah, Morikawa has totally touched on hometown decisions before. It's why Vorg lost by decision against Sendo, and Miyata has had issues with it too.

Now the literally holding the guy up thing is hilarious. We'll find out next time he gave him a loving gun too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It's not that unrealistic considering what happened in Williams-Botha fight friday night. In a world title 12 round fight they stopped it in the 10th because Botha started winning. It was ridiculous.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KidDynamite posted:

It's not that unrealistic considering what happened in Williams-Botha fight friday night. In a world title 12 round fight they stopped it in the 10th because Botha started winning. It was ridiculous.

There is a fine line between somewhat unrealistic and downright ridiculous and Mori has crossed it. It would have been enough to have a slow count which allowed mike to recover and win by points or something but he had to go the distance to show the "foreigners-damashii" bullshit and why Ippo can never leave his Japanese safezone. The world will come to him, or so it appears.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
While I do think it is Mori being a little over the top with the whole corrupt thing, Boxing is indeed kind of corrupt. Who the hell watches boxing anymore when there are questionable outcomes in matches now.

It's kind of a lost sport.

Still a pretty good chapter though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Nah, Morikawa has totally touched on hometown decisions before. It's why Vorg lost by decision against Sendo, and Miyata has had issues with it too.

Now the literally holding the guy up thing is hilarious. We'll find out next time he gave him a loving gun too.

That's true. Only going by memory on those but this seemed like it was a little more overt / sinister.

Point being I don't find the premise here ridiculous at all compared to the reality of the sport at present.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
The fact of the matter is, the champ seems to be an honourable fighter. The thing to wait for here isn't how the ref will continue or how Vorg will, but what the champ does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, up until now, the champ's been pretty respectable towards Volg. He acknowledged the crude circumstances that Volg came in with and his fighting ability, so I'm eager to see his response to all of this.