Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I might be able to do it if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Covok posted:

Do you live in NY? We need a tax preparer. Full time. 401k options. 10 PTO, 10 Vacation. We need help year round with our business clients so this is NOT temp work.

Ultratax experience prefered

Dress shirt, dress pants is the dress code
No ties. Casual friday.

Can I still do this? :suicide:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Moneyball posted:

Can I still do this? :suicide:

We actually filled the position already as well as the secretary position for this year's busy season. We're done with hiring for the rest of the year. Sorry.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Ah I figured. I just need a change here. I'd start my own thread, but it belongs in E/N heh

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Covok posted:

I might be able to do it if you want.

Hell yeah, thank you. I'll PM you around the end of the month. My discord is "DrSwag AKA KirbyKhan #4480" for a quick 15-20 minute interview. Right now the main subject is "What to do if someone pressures you to alter your findings or work".

Out of preparation sake, what is your job title or function? Question open to the rest of the thread.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Hell yeah, thank you. I'll PM you around the end of the month. My discord is "DrSwag AKA KirbyKhan #4480" for a quick 15-20 minute interview. Right now the main subject is "What to do if someone pressures you to alter your findings or work".

Out of preparation sake, what is your job title or function? Question open to the rest of the thread.

My official title is Accountant. I worked on 493 individual tax returns and 50 small business returns last year and oversaw the work of an employee who did 350 individual returns and 50 business returns. In High School, after helping a teacher to avoid having to attend health class in 8th grade, I got an internship at a local accounting firm. I worked there for a year as an intern and decided to go into college for the degree. My mother was an accountant so it made sense. I attended 5 years at Binghamton University and obtained my masters degree with a 3.4 GPA.

I did not internship in college, but secured a job with KPMG in their mutual fund tax division before I graduated. I worked at KPMG for 1 year. Afterwards, I was let go alongside 15% of the office due to a "first-in-first-out" response to office under performance that year. I then worked at a small, local accounting firm where I found that my prior experience did not carry over to individual tax return work. However, I used that chance to learn everything I could. After busy season, I was let go without prior warning. I later found out the firm was notorious for hiring people before busy season with the promise of long-term employment and then letting them go after busy season.

I then received my current position. During my interview with the regional director, I impressed her with my indepth knowledge, prior experience, and professionalism. The job was rough at first due to an abusive subordinate, but, after their removal and replacement with a better tempered individual, I've managed to bring the office to a 22% post EBIDTA profit, the highest in the company. I manage over 100 business clients and advise on 1200 individual clients. I manage two subordinates. Both are new accountants. Ironically, while they are both 1 year older than me, they unfortunately could not get work in the field after graduating and thus had little to no prior experience. I decided to take a chance on them. They have impressed me, even if recent events have made me realized they were not as far along as I previously thought in their training.

For my clients, I provide the following:
  • Bookeeping
  • Payroll Tax Preparation
  • Sales Tax Preparation
  • Tax Planning
  • Income Tax Preparation
  • Tax Advise
  • Recommendations to an in-house financial adviser
  • Response to tax authority letters

I do the best for my clients. For example, recently, one of my clients one a lawsuit. The terms of the lawsuit required their former employer to pay the FICA tax on their winnings as it was backpay she was owed and never paid. They tried to get away with giving her a 1099-MISC with the income in box-7. I called up the employer and said I knew the game they were playing and while I wasn't a lawyer I could see this was a breach of their terms and would advise the woman's lawyer as such. They provided her a W-2 afterwards. However, social security tried to then withhold her future benefits under the argument she had been paid too much. I went to the social security office three times in person -- due to issues with her paperwork and her lawyer providing her out-of-date documentation -- which was located two towns over and won her her case. Thus saving her 16,000 in potentially lost social security benefits. I arguably should have charged for this but ultimately decided not to as she was rather destitute and decided to do this work pro-bono.

I had a little to drink and I think I went on a rant. Sorry about that.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm an actuarial associate working in GAAP valuation, idk if that means I don't meet your needs but I figured I'd offer to help given that it's another credentialed profession and I work at a public company. I understand if that doesn't cut it tho, I just like my job and enjoy talking about it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I attempted to make the ethical dillema as broad as possible. I would love to talk to all of you.

When I was in the military there were times where it was suggested, inferred and directly ordered to alter inventory results in order to make a power point tasker green. There is no AICPA Code of Conduct in my previous life, and the military code favors adhering to your chain of command before whistleblowing to Waste Fraud & Abuse.

Are there any items you could alter with slim chances of it ever being caught? Has someone returned a deliverable you prepared because the numbers therein were not to their liking? How does this sort of pressure manifests itself, or what does this pressure look like in your trade?

I'm not a narc, these interviews wouldn't even be told to the thread. They just go from my ears to a report for a hippie California CPA professor.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I do tax compliance and if a client pressures me to change a tax return I check with the partner to make sure they’ll still sign the return, make sure it’s not obviously illegal and then shrug my shoulders and say to myself “well I’m not a drat auditor, let’s see what the state thinks about this one”.

Something interesting to note is that as your clients become more sophisticated the less likely they are to commit tax fraud. For the most part my client contacts are also former public accountants or tax people, so it’s not like at a Big level you’re going to see that much out and out fraud, because your clients are too big for some guy to ask you to take double deductions on his business mileage and car maintenance or something dumb like that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoshi posted:

I'm an actuarial associate working in GAAP valuation, idk if that means I don't meet your needs but I figured I'd offer to help given that it's another credentialed profession and I work at a public company. I understand if that doesn't cut it tho, I just like my job and enjoy talking about it.
Hey who wouldn’t like talking about how they spend all day with hot models?!

Moneyball posted:

Ah I figured. I just need a change here. I'd start my own thread, but it belongs in E/N heh
Law firm not going well?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I attempted to make the ethical dillema as broad as possible. I would love to talk to all of you.

When I was in the military there were times where it was suggested, inferred and directly ordered to alter inventory results in order to make a power point tasker green. There is no AICPA Code of Conduct in my previous life, and the military code favors adhering to your chain of command before whistleblowing to Waste Fraud & Abuse.

Are there any items you could alter with slim chances of it ever being caught? Has someone returned a deliverable you prepared because the numbers therein were not to their liking? How does this sort of pressure manifests itself, or what does this pressure look like in your trade?

I'm not a narc, these interviews wouldn't even be told to the thread. They just go from my ears to a report for a hippie California CPA professor.

Alright, I'll figure it my discord name and we'll make this happen sometime! I can post poo poo if it'd help but you'll get better answers over discord

SiGmA_X posted:

Hey who wouldn’t like talking about how they spend all day with hot models?!
Law firm not going well?

If you think the models are good now just wait until you find out how I use them for rear endet amortization and reserving

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Law firm not going well?

Oh that's been over for months now. Still looking for public opportunities but no one will take me.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Moneyball posted:

Oh that's been over for months now. Still looking for public opportunities but no one will take me.
Does your school have any recruiting contacts you can reach out to? It's generally pretty tough to transition into public outside of the standard recruiting timelines each year (which should be towards the end of the process right now, for next year) or through an internship pipeline. Not sure how long you've been out of Ed but assuming around a year-ish you're gonna need to work contacts probably, either through your school or friends/family. Finishing your CPA (outside of experience) may also get you enough leverage to get into a non-big 4.

E: also, if you're willing/able to move, you can snipe for an office that's totally hosed on staffing and wave goodbye to sleep and live with like 3 other people for a while because of insane cost of living.

E2: Going back through your post history it's not clear if you have a masters in tax/accounting or if you have your 150 hours. Without that or a plan of action that's in progress, public will be tough

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 12, 2019

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

On another note, private industry rules. Everybody is super nice, I only work a little bit more than 40 hours a week for a week or 2 during quarter end, and I never need to submit a time card. The amount of actual work I need to do in any one day could probably be done in like 4 hours of real focused work.

Never needing to keep track of my hours on a timecard each week is such a quality of life improvement by itself. My health has improved dramatically. Public was killing me (literally).

Covok
May 27, 2013

I have this guy upstate. I told him in September that his corporate tax return is due in November. I gave him a reminder in October. I told him last Friday and he said the documents would be in on Monday. When that didn't arrive, I called him on Wednesday and he never got back to me. Then I called them yesterday and he told me he would have the documents at the office by 3 p.m. today. That he put it in the mail Thursday morning. And I told them -- and my boss agreed -- that is a very quick turnaround. When I tell my boss about it, she had some very Choice words behind the guy's back.

I never even told her that I told him in May that I was putting him on extension. Because he has a November 15th due date. So he's known for almost half a year and he got for reminders in the last 3 months.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Just found out I got a 91 on REG. Goes good with my 92 on BEC, 82 on FAR, and... 65 on AUD :suicide:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

inefficient studying imo

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jimong5 posted:

Just found out I got a 91 on REG. Goes good with my 92 on BEC, 82 on FAR, and... 65 on AUD :suicide:

Hoshi posted:

inefficient studying imo
Truth. Also, gently caress AUD.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I guess on that topic, I got a 5 on my exam in June, 6 is a pass. Rats. Still upset that my last exam I got a 7, but I guess I have a pure 666 for the ones before that

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I got a 5, but it was on the CPA, so

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello everybody!

I have set up my discord to accept interviewees. This link will expire after 10 9 uses.

Big ups to Hoshi, Covok, and Hurt Whitey Maybe for responding positively upthread. My PMs are open, I can do skype or telephone if that is preferred.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Didn’t they make AUD harder a couple years back?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Didn’t they make AUD harder a couple years back?

They made the whole thing harder a couple years back.

Best audit trick: just memorize all the MCQs you have access to. There’s only so many fact patterns of “the cfo admitted he’s embezzling money and the financial statements were just typed up by his 8 year old. What type of opinion should you give?

A. Unqualified
B. Qualified
C. Disclaimer
D. Going concern”

Covok
May 27, 2013

First day of my 11 day long vacation...already got 3 phone calls from the office. FML.

Funny enough, my boss is the one going "stop calling him, he's on vacation: I'll handle it" to my co-workers. Probably because I always handle her work when she goes on vacation.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 22, 2019

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Covok posted:

First day of my 11 week long vacation...already got 3 phone calls from the office. FML.

Funny enough, my boss is the one going "stop calling him, he's on vacation: I'll handle it" to my co-workers. Probably because I always handle her work when she goes on vacation.

Why in the world are you off until March?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Why in the world are you off until March?

Sorry, 11 days vacation. That's a big difference lol. Typo!

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Covok posted:

Sorry, 11 days vacation. That's a big difference lol. Typo!

Was gonna try and get on whatever you were on. Show up early March nice and rested and push the button to efile after everything is prepped.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
been and done the tax and auditing stuff had a decent job with a firm that paid me shite all, so i started looking for other work, ended up at some place doing financial statements/tax returns for more money, old job offered same pay but I stupidly went against the devil you know adage and screwed myself with a messy ending. Now in private employed as a business analyst makin' graphs, controlling expense accounts, and other management accounting stuff. So far so good, finally feel secure enough to enroll in my CPA and handle the workload.

Public is balls

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Don't know if I have ever said this before, the IRS has done a really good job with qbi reporting from entities. I hope this fixes most of the garbage that was prepared in 2019.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Don't know if I have ever said this before, the IRS has done a really good job with qbi reporting from entities. I hope this fixes most of the garbage that was prepared in 2019.

199A is a mess and will continue to be a mess unless I’m missing something. What makes you happy with the 199A reporting for 2019? For context I mostly work with investment partnerships.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

199A is a mess and will continue to be a mess unless I’m missing something. What makes you happy with the 199A reporting for 2019? For context I mostly work with investment partnerships.

Oh 199 is trash, but the new k1 forces garbage preparers to provide you with more info on the k-1 about the properties or activity

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Promotion!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Audax posted:

Promotion!
Congratulations! Hopefully this means equal or less work along with the more money!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hello accounting friends! I, like all you other poor fools that work in public, am enjoying the creeping sense of doom that comes with the end of the year.

I have a favor to ask: I work in a really small firm (me, my boss, one other preparer, and our admin) and we need to completely rewrite our engagement letter for individual clients. I want to measure twice and cut once on this (e.g. I dont' want to have to rewrite this ever lol), so I'm trying to read as many examples of other firms' engagement letters as I can get hands on to make ours cover all needed bases.

Anyhoo, if anyone feels so inclined, could you shoot me a copy of your firm's engagement letter for individual tax clients? Take off the biz name/other identifying info/etc. if you like of course, I'm just interested in the content. Bonus points if you also work for a super small firm, I'd really love to see the engagement letter for a business similar to ours because all the letters I've found so far are for much larger firms.

Email is: catsandtaxes (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks in advance y'all :glomp:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Audax posted:

Promotion!

"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

black.lion posted:

Hello accounting friends! I, like all you other poor fools that work in public, am enjoying the creeping sense of doom that comes with the end of the year.

I have a favor to ask: I work in a really small firm (me, my boss, one other preparer, and our admin) and we need to completely rewrite our engagement letter for individual clients. I want to measure twice and cut once on this (e.g. I dont' want to have to rewrite this ever lol), so I'm trying to read as many examples of other firms' engagement letters as I can get hands on to make ours cover all needed bases.

Anyhoo, if anyone feels so inclined, could you shoot me a copy of your firm's engagement letter for individual tax clients? Take off the biz name/other identifying info/etc. if you like of course, I'm just interested in the content. Bonus points if you also work for a super small firm, I'd really love to see the engagement letter for a business similar to ours because all the letters I've found so far are for much larger firms.

Email is: catsandtaxes (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks in advance y'all :glomp:

I highly suggest getting the suggested letter from your insurance company. They are on the front lines of litigation and have seen where firms get burned most often, additionally they have an army of attorneys write these things. My firm is using the letter from Camico (our carrier) with some editing down by our legal rep. on retainer. Firm size is 20 cpa's and non-licensed preparers and then admin support.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I highly suggest getting the suggested letter from your insurance company. They are on the front lines of litigation and have seen where firms get burned most often, additionally they have an army of attorneys write these things. My firm is using the letter from Camico (our carrier) with some editing down by our legal rep. on retainer. Firm size is 20 cpa's and non-licensed preparers and then admin support.

Thats an awesome idea, thanks, sorta embarrassed I didn't think of it teehee; I'll reach out to our insurer and see if they can shoot me a boilerplate something something. Cheers!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Any experienced CPAs looking for work in the Olympia, WA area?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but a slight heads up, for a 2-5 years of experience CPA requirement, that looks to be a very underpaid position.

Entry-level positions for people with no experience and fresh out of school in public accounting start at around $60k per year. For industry/private companies, at the low end, they start at 40s in my area. For some companies, they may exceed the public accounting salaries.

Both those are for 0 experience and no CPA license.

$15/hour (so just above 30k)is trending towards an accounting clerk position. Just want to pass that along to temper expectations about what applicants would expect and if y'all are finding it hard to get what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Audax posted:

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but a slight heads up, for a 2-5 years of experience CPA requirement, that looks to be a very underpaid position.

Entry-level positions for people with no experience and fresh out of school in public accounting start at around $60k per year. For industry/private companies, at the low end, they start at 40s in my area. For some companies, they may exceed the public accounting salaries.

Both those are for 0 experience and no CPA license.

$15/hour (so just above 30k)is trending towards an accounting clerk position. Just want to pass that along to temper expectations about what applicants would expect and if y'all are finding it hard to get what you're looking for.

:thejoke: