Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Teaching hosed Teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vanbadham.jpg

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Maybe the Internet would be a better forum for discussion if those discussions were just transcripts of real life conversations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is this a real headline? Cant even get your nazi propaganda right, thats a very soviet looking tank.
Do I look like I photoshop use paint that badly? Original is almost certainly some Stalinist era propaganda poster hence the T-34. Nobody has chimed in on the authenticity of the goon's fire arm. I could be your turn to shine!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Wasn't she arguing with Antony Green about preferences? Sure this is a great example of dumb but it's not peak VBH

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

Wasn't she arguing with Antony Green about preferences? Sure this is a great example of dumb but it's not peak VBH

I couldn't decide which I liked more out of "You seemed more determined to have an argument than debate the issue" and "Good faith is a waste of time".

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I have no idea how people could think Trump could beat Clinton

Someone even said she could be indicted for the "email scandal"? Using private email for federal purposes isn't even illegal, it's just against Dem cabinet policy

TOXX! A TOXX ON MYSELF FOR RODHAM

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

The Peccadillo posted:

Someone even said she could be indicted for the "email scandal"? Using private email for federal purposes isn't even illegal, it's just against Dem cabinet policy

Because there is an excellent chance he can. He probably will.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Nonsense

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Peccadillo posted:

It doesn't have to be a particularly strong case. They already retroactively made files she received classified and top secret to gently caress her over and create the possibility of charges.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

CelestialScribe posted:

This is rubbish, Trump is the least popular of all candidates running (democrat or republican) and may be the most unpopular candidate ever to run in history. His success is far better explained by the failure of his opponents to drop out as they would have at this point in earlier election cycles. All predictions about his success have generally been wrong because people didn't anticipate the election cycle would have <this> many candidates this far in but early predictions about his "ceiling" of potential votes have remained pretty consistent, in spite of all the primary states he's won. Don't confuse his winning 30-40% of republican voters as any indication of his overall popularity; he's popular among <40% of registered republicans in a handful of states>.

His only path to victory would be to pick up all states that Romney won in 2012 and add 2-5 additional states on top of that. Even if Trump wasn't the nominee, it's unlikely for any republican to win the presidential election this year because the electoral college favors a democrat candidate no matter who it is. Trump would have even more of an uphill battle than most republicans would due to his unpopularity but it's very unlikely that any repub has a shot this year.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

freebooter posted:

Trump is not going to win the US election. No Republican candidate is going to win the US election.

The polls tell a different story.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What are the odds that if Trump wins the nomination, Rubio or Cruz will run as an independent?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

freebooter posted:

What are the odds that if Trump wins the nomination, Rubio or Cruz will run as an independent?

Zero. Rubio was talking about a brokered convention, but it won't happen.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Cruz may be the zodiac killer but he's not crazy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

freebooter posted:

Even if that happens, it won't matter a whit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

freebooter posted:

Zero. Possibly lower.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

Rubio is screwing this up, he just had a debate where he made all sorts of points, and Trump just blows it over with a water bottle joke about Rubio sweating. Now Trump has two Governors endorse him today, one of them Christie. Conventional wisdom is failing, he keeps not losing. But he's only looking good versus other GOP candidates so far.

It really is galvanizing both sides in the US, which is probably going to favour Clinton but who knows. So far the evangelicals haven't really decided for Trump (rather against Cruz) but if they feel threatened by Clinton enough, they'll turn the general into a crusade if it comes down to Trump and Clinton. And as you say, everyone else is energized to vote against him.

Who are the governers and why do their endorsements matter?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

LePage (who is a minor figure, and a bit of a wingnut) and Christie (who isn't either of those).

Christie matters because it's the first time someone in the GOP Establishment has openly endorsed Trump. It's not that endorsements directly affects votes (although they can sometimes help), but it can be a sign of where money and resources are going.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor volunteers have been caught on hidden cameras bragging about using Australian taxpayer funds to work on a US presidential campaign and interfering with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton campaign signs.
In a video posted online by the conservative undercover campaign group Project Veritas Action, four Australians are recorded saying they received taxpayer funds for flights, accommodation and daily expenses while organising for Democratic senator Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign, a possible breach of US election law.
Former Australian National University Labor Club president Ben Kremer is identified in the video trying to remove campaign signs for Republican candidate Donald Trump in Manchester, New Hampshire, acknowledging in the secret recording that the tactics were not legal.

"F--- you, Donald," he says in the video.
Mr Kremer tells the video crew Sanders campaign officials had told him stealing rival campaign signs was not allowed and says he also switched Hillary Clinton campaign literature with Sanders materials. Other volunteers were not depicted tampering with signs.
"Bernie is about listening and saying "f--- you" to the establishment," he said on the video.

Australian Labor Party national secretary George Wright told Fairfax Media he had launched an investigation to confirm the federal government-funded Australian Political Parties Democracy Program complied with US election laws.
He said behaviour shown the video, reported by right-wing media outlet The Washington Times, was "completely inappropriate" and was also being investigated.
Mr Kremer, a party member and campus organiser in Canberra, tells the undercover film crew that volunteers were instructed not to post information about their work on social media, because it could cause the Coalition government to cancel the program.

Mr Kremer has been contacted for comment.
"They have had issues in the past, where like if I put a photo up of myself with the Statue of Liberty ... the next morning it would be on the front of a newspaper with ... 21-year-old student users taxpayer money to go on holiday. What a disgrace."
He says there is nothing "wrong" with the program, but some people would be unhappy volunteers were working on the Sanders campaign, "because not everyone is left-wing".
Senator Sanders is challenging Mrs Clinton for the Democratic nomination.
Two other Australian are also seen in the video talking tactics - including one discussing stealing signs from the Clinton campaign.
Western Australia Young Labor president Rebecca Doyle is identified in the video saying the ALP's international branch had coordinated travel, accommodation and funding to assist the Sanders campaign, including $60 daily stipends.
Ms Doyle has also been contacted for comment.
Sanders' campaign national press secretary Simone Sanders tells Project Veritas Action she is not sure about the Australians' involvement.
The group identifies itself as a journalism organisation and has previously targeted the Clinton campaign and other Democrats. It has faced lawsuits over other videos posted online.
Project Veritas Action is one of many partisan outfits who use online videos and investigations to influence presidential elections in the US.
Mr Wright said he believed the program, administered by the Department of Finance, was compliant with all US election laws. Labor, the Coalition and the Greens have each received funding from the controversial program.
"I have initiated an investigation to ensure that it is. We believe that our program is compliant but clearly the behaviour of these individuals in the video is, on the face of it, completely unacceptable and I will also be investigating that."
He said four Labor members had been involved in the exchange program, and they had all returned to Australia since its completion.
"They are there as observers and they should just be observing, not posting stuff on social media and certainly not doing the type of things they are depicted doing."
Mr Wright said Project Veritas Action's methods were questionable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The only Burke Van Badham knows is Don.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

Christie was one of the nomination candidates until he dropped out the other week. At one stage he was running hot with endorsements himself. The other guy is LePage of Maine who is an utter shitheel so both of them kind of suit Trump.

The importance of it is that it opens the floodgates to Trump getting very likely more from Republican politicians with axes to grind. It makes Cruz more vulnerable and it's not exactly good for Rubio either. I suspect there's a lot of caucus maths involved in it too, which is also ominous. Once this gets going, it could well snowball, so watch 538's tracker to keep up with it. A lot of Jeb!s former endorsees switched to Rubio, for instance, and they could switch back depending on the political weather. But at least one has switched from Jeb! to Trump already.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

she is so bad

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hard to believe she's a professional writer :stonk:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Knowing how to present a strong point of view clearly and concisely is essential for any writer. Whether you are a journalist who wants to sharpen their opinion voice, an activist wanting to write about their passion or a communications expert who is looking to produce poignant advocacy articles, this one-day course is a must.

Guardian Australia columnist and experienced teacher Van Badham will share her trademark humour in this practical Masterclass for aspiring op-ed commentators. Participants will learn how to tap into their inner comment voice, but also be provided with the practical nuts and bolts of opinion writing from conception to publication and beyond. You’ll be armed with an overview of the changing market for commentary in Australia, be introduced to structural templates, be walked through the pitching process, and be given personal insights into the protocols and practicalities of promoting your work. The class is particularly suited to policy wonks, spokespersons, activists and an opinionated democratic citizenry trying to develop media comms skills.

This course is for you if…
You’re an aspiring columnist who wants to tell clear, persuasive stories with a distinctive voice
You’re a journalist who wants to more effectively use your editorial voice
You write for a website or blog and want to learn how to present your arguments with skill and confidence
You work for a NGO, lobby group or similar and need to submit advocacy pieces to comment pages and websites
You’re new to writing and want to break into the industry through comment pieces or citizen journalism
You’re a journalism or communications student
Course description
The Masterclass is a practical introduction to the market context of Australian commentary, with a focus on the technical craft of writing it. Van’s inimitable style incorporates formal instructions within an accessible, casual atmosphere.

Topics covered on the day include:

What is op ed? A basic overview of what op-ed is and its role within journalism and civic participation
Op-ed in Australia: providing a context to the current market for commentary in Australia
Expertise and inspiration: understanding the source of commentary and what differentiates an opinion from a rant
Objective and conception: exploring the foundations of how to conceive and pursue articles
How to pitch: the protocols of getting your work before editors - what works and what doesn’t
Structure and content: how to structure your content for effective and clear commentary
Stylistics of writing: the trickiest bit, involving an analysis of what differentiates merely clear comment to effective writing
Building your reputation: advice on how to build a personal brand as a commentator and increase your chance of greater exposure
Encourage yourself: dealing with rejection, common commentary hazards and some concrete advice to stay sane
You will leave this Masterclass with the bones of an effective article of commentary in your hand and a better understanding of what gets published and why in your head.

PLEASE NOTE: Successful participation in the course presumes a high degree of English language skills, written and spoken.

Tutor profile
Van Badham is an award-winning writer and experienced teacher and communicator. In addition to being a weekly columnist for Guardian Australia, she is also a Guardian cultural critic, the winner of three Premiers’ literary awards for her creative work and a theatremaker of international renown. She holds a Masters in Writing from the University Melbourne and undergraduate degrees in writing, English and communications from the University of Wollongong/University of Sheffield, UK. She has taught writing, theatre, film, performance, radio and visual art theory subjects within degree programmes at Monash University, the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) and the University of Wollongong. Active on social media, you can follow her on Twitter or Periscope via @vanbadham.

Details
Sydney

Date: Monday 7 March and Thursday 31 March
Times: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Price: $279 (includes GST, booking fee, lunch and refreshments)
Event capacity: 20
Dress code: There is no dress code for Masterclasses. Please wear whatever you feel comfortable in

Brisbane

Date: Tuesday 12 April
Times: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Location: Brisbane Powerhouse, 119 Lamington St, New Farm QLD 4005
Price: $299 (includes GST, booking fee, lunch and refreshments)
Event capacity: 20
Dress code: There is no dress code for Masterclasses. Please wear whatever you feel comfortable in

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
loving Delusional.txt

quote:

Tony Abbott says he would have won election, defends 'fundamentally fair' budget

Former prime minister Tony Abbott has labelled his controversial 2014 budget a "badge of honour" and "fundamentally fair" and said he believes an Abbott government would have won this year's election.

Mr Abbott has penned a 4,000-word essay for conservative journal Quadrant defending his prime ministership, which argues his government's achievements "will stand the test of time".

An extract of The Economic Case for the Abbott government, soon to be published, has been published in The Australian newspaper.

In September last year Mr Abbott was toppled by Malcolm Turnbull, who argued the Member for Warringah had not shown economic leadership.

But the now-backbencher denied this, writing: "The government's economic narrative had been clear from the beginning — lower taxes, less regulation and higher productivity."

The Coalition's 2014 budget put forward billions of dollars in cuts to health, education and foreign aid, and saw it lose ground in opinion polls.

It included trying to introduce a $7 GP co-payment and making unemployed people under 30 wait six months for the dole, along with university fee deregulation and pension indexation changes.

"Judging things by polls, many commentators have identified the 2014 budget as the Abbott government's biggest mistake," Mr Abbott wrote.

"I regard it more as a badge of honour because it showed that we were serious about long-term budget repair and could therefore be trusted with the long-term economic management of the country.

"Overall, it was a fundamentally fair budget because it sought to end the intergenerational theft involved in piling up debts for our children and grandchildren to meet."

Mr Abbott said he and then-treasurer Joe Hockey had been "careful to avoid breaking promises" during their time on the expenditure review committee of Cabinet, but his "no surprises" commitment was challenging, given there had not been pre-election debate about a Medicare co-payment or university deregulation.

But he thought people would accept the changes, seeing them as part of the Coalition's pledge to control the budget.

"Especially after we had rejected the business subsidy requests of the type that previous governments had regularly approved, a tough budget should have been predicted," he wrote.

Mr Abbott said he was confident an Abbott government could have won the 2016 election campaigning on budget savings and lower tax.

Bold the whole thing. How can one man be so divorced from reality?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 27, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I didn't know who Edmund Burke was a week ago so I just assumed it was Brian Burke

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lilbeefer posted:

I didn't know who Edmund Burke was a week ago so I just assumed it was Brian Burke

Host of Burke's Backyard

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

VanBadham, cultural Marxist

Those who can't do, teach. I think doing more journalism has actually ruined her for Twitter, she completely deteriorated. Does she front the Drum these days too?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/703435159119331328

He's done a whole bunch, mostly because

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/703436044176195585

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Zenithe posted:

Hey people who've done uni recently, is it common to have weird irrelevant assessments?

One of my tasks is literally "draw your feelings" for 1% of the total grade, and there are a couple of other ones such as participation as a research projects and giving course feedback.

Here is a postcard of a famous tourist destination. Dance to the postcard. Participation: 100%

An entire subject for a whole semester.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

loving Delusional.txt

Bold the whole thing. How can one man be so divorced from reality?

He is literaĺly the stupidest motherfucker in political history

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

ewe2 posted:

Those who can't do, teach.

Can we not say dumb poo poo like this please.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ewe2 posted:

Those who can't do, teach.

lmao get a load of this nerd

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Sam Dastyari is now saying the voting changes will likely lock in Lee Rhiannon's seat but lose Sarah Hanson-Young's, and this is a bad thing how...?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Because the Greens would lose a senator?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The argument being that few people like SHY

I don't know anything about her, but that's the thought process behind it "not being a bad thing"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This man is an adult, who lied on departure from Australia, and knowingly crossed into Syria, fully knowing the risks.

No one in the Australian Government can actually know if he has been brainwashed into launching terrorism attacks here.

Do not return his passport.

If you willingly cross into enemy territory then you are an enemy sympathiser.

He fully knew the consequences so let him rot in hell in Islamic State.

If the Australian Government allows him to return they will establish a revolving door of radicalised terrorists returning here to murder Australians at will.

This guy is a traitor to Australia.

No sympathy.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Recoome posted:

This man is an adult, who lied on departure from Australia, and knowingly crossed into Syria, fully knowing the risks.

No one in the Australian Government can actually know if he has been brainwashed into launching terrorism attacks here.

Do not return his passport.

If you willingly cross into enemy territory then you are an enemy sympathiser.

He fully knew the consequences so let him rot in hell in Islamic State.

If the Australian Government allows him to return they will establish a revolving door of radicalised terrorists returning here to murder Australians at will.

This guy is a traitor to Australia.

No sympathy.

syq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/?fref=nf

Comments from the story on Oliver Bridgeman (the dude who has is passport cancelled)

• Locked thread