Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

has the man who pissed on the kiffin t-shirt weighed in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.56cfa65c0124

Whether he did or didnt, he sure as poo poo isnt worth the argument. If the fanbase accepted it, national media would light them up continuously - especially in light of the title IX issues the university has had. Why invite this on yourself?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Competent... qb coaching.... at UF? :dance:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

Competent... qb coaching.... at UF? :dance:

Yeah, that's a big loving deal. Our QBs have been incredibly hot garbage for like 8 years now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mullen should be good

I'm happy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Acelerion posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.56cfa65c0124

Whether he did or didnt, he sure as poo poo isnt worth the argument. If the fanbase accepted it, national media would light them up continuously - especially in light of the title IX issues the university has had. Why invite this on yourself?

This is one hell of an assumption. Media furor dies down fast in far more cases than it doesn't.

E: if anything, they're far more likely to either bring it up quick then ignore it, or mention it in passing in favor of playing the 'redemption/overcoming adversity' bullshit card.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/SleeperAthletes/status/934899724808785921

Kiffin
Petrino
Taggart
Pruitt
Venables
Leavitt

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

This is one hell of an assumption. Media furor dies down fast in far more cases than it doesn't.

E: if anything, they're far more likely to either bring it up quick then ignore it, or mention it in passing in favor of playing the 'redemption/overcoming adversity' bullshit card.

Yeah, nobody's been beating down OSU's about the matter for the past year

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

lol

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/934903592967737344

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Objective SEC East opinion:

Florida hire = Good, I am scared
Tennessee hire = Bad, I am laughing

Carry on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I still don't know why Jimbo would leave FSU for TAMU but maybe it's just to be further away from Taylor Jacobs.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The replies on this are amazing.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Looking forward to Mullen. Arguably always third choice, but a good third choice.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/934904736330817536

oh my god

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

Yeah, nobody's been beating down OSU's about the matter for the past year

No one at the Ohio State University protesting a guy who enabled child molestation? Hard to imagine why...

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

this is amazing

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kirk pull up

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirk has been full bore I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS for a couple years now.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
herbstreit is the nail in the coffin on this one I think. No way this goes though

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the only 'behind' i'd be thinking about if my team hired greg schiano is

(pick your answer)

A: the behinds of the children of the state of Tennessee if he hired a pedophile

B: the behinds of the players shooting liquid feces out their rear end after getting Staph

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yes keep this up, Kirk.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

For such an affable doofus, Herbstreit really picks the worst hills to off himself on.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Next big job opening is gonna be on College Gameday.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Orlando Sentinel confirmation

https://twitter.com/osgators/status/934906983609749504

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

schiano twitter is amazing

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsKnox/status/934906632470798336

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mullen being the third option says way more about Florida as a job than it does Mullen. He’s clearly not as good as Kelly but no one available is so that’s not the end of the world. I think it’s arguable whether he’s a worse hire than Frost. Frost is young, exciting, and has done a great job at UCF but Mullen’s done well longer at a way harder job. UCF was bad when Frost got there but it has a lot of natural advantages that make it a a good spot for a quick rebuild. Miss St is a historic doormat in what was the toughest division in the sport for most of his tenure. I think Frost is a good coach and am dreading having to play him regularly, but Mullen has a way higher floor and it’s hard to imagine him not doing at least pretty well at Florida

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

He was already DC at OSU when that testimony was unsealed, so that's why it wasn't brought up when he was hired. It may be that the Wapo article is poorly written but it's saying this happened in 2005-2006, and Schiano was gone from PSU for a decade before that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

Mullen being the third option says way more about Florida as a job than it does Mullen. He’s clearly not as good as Kelly but no one available is so that’s not the end of the world. I think it’s arguable whether he’s a worse hire than Frost. Frost is young, exciting, and has done a great job at UCF but Mullen’s done well longer at a way harder job. UCF was bad when Frost got there but it has a lot of natural advantages that make it a a good spot for a quick rebuild. Miss St is a historic doormat in what was the toughest division in the sport for most of his tenure. I think Frost is a good coach and am dreading having to play him regularly, but Mullen has a way higher floor and it’s hard to imagine him not doing at least pretty well at Florida

yah this is basically how I feel

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’m unhappy about Mullen to Florida, but at least if he’s going to beat us now it’ll be at a real school and not a trumped up farm academy.

Also, lol at the MSU fans who thought Mullen wasn’t going to leave because they paid him a middle of the road SEC salary and he really totally like Starkville.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Tennessee in the last 10 years is the only team to riot over a coach leaving and riot over a coach being possibly hired.

Thoughts is there anyway this hire happens now?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I agree with all this. Frost is the young hot name but he doesn't have long-term, sustained success as a HC.

People forget that Zook was fired for merely losing to Miss St because they were so bad it was unthinkable. That concept now seems laughable because Mullen has made them a perennial spoiler and reliably solid program.

I'm pretty psyched for the hire. He's going to do well.

I just hope Jimbo doesn't jump and FSU ends up with Taggart or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m unhappy about Mullen to Florida, but at least if he’s going to beat us now it’ll be at a real school and not a trumped up farm academy.

Also, lol at the MSU fans who thought Mullen wasn’t going to leave because they paid him a middle of the road SEC salary and he really totally like Starkville.

This was always especially weird because this was like the fourth or fifth time he’s interviewed for another open job.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Jimbo going :monocle:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the likely next governor of tennessee:

https://twitter.com/BillLeeTN/status/934894353356554241

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Mullen isn't exciting like Frost but he's a great hire since a) he's been at Florida during the Golden Years and b) has done well in the SEC.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

No he's not a super exciting hire, but he's young, a great QB coach and goddamn it we know he can run a program. He makes great hires (Geoff Collins) and has a great eye for talent.

9 seasons in Starkville has made people forget that point. Mullen will only be 46 next season. For comparison, Scott Frost will be 43 at the start of next season.

While I'd slightly prefer Frost, I am still very happy with Mullen. While he never really got over the hump at Mississippi State, it's still Mississippi State. Starkville has less Starbucks (3) than there are on campus at UF (5.) Stricklin should give him the time he needs, because Florida needs more of a rebuild after McElwain left the cupboard bare.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Probably not a good idea to piss off the people who determine how much money the university gets every year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So Kevin Sumlin's firing confirms he's a mediocre coach who road the coattails of Johnny Manziel to a $30 million contract?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

9 seasons in Starkville has made people forget that point. Mullen will only be 46 next season. For comparison, Scott Frost will be 43 at the start of next season.

While I'd slightly prefer Frost, I am still very happy with Mullen. While he never really got over the hump at Mississippi State, it's still Mississippi State. Starkville has less Starbucks (3) than there are on campus at UF (5.) Stricklin should give him the time he needs, because Florida needs more of a rebuild after McElwain left the cupboard bare.

He seems like he could be a real long-term solution. I'm not sure he fancies the NFL. If he does well, I think he stays for a loooong time.

Also, his prickishness fits our culture perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/kirkherbstreit/status/934909623957467137

Kirk just will not stop.

• Locked thread