Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember in middle school finding out how the wage/tip thing worked and being floored. i had assumed tips were an expected bonus because servers had to deal with people.

does grubhub work like doordash? at least at the local places i've ordered from the delivery guy worked at the restaurant but i'm guessing that isn't always the case.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/doordash-postmates-grubhub-instacart-tip-policies.html covers the policies for the delivery services I'm aware of, Postmates and Grubhub both had the tip going to the driver. After the DoorDash backlash they have announced they are changing their policy as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Foodjets forces you to tip a certain amount. You cannot set a tip to 0.00.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Elman posted:

Or you could just tip in cash.

This is pretty much the only way to make sure the person you're handing it to has a good chance of keeping the tip, and even then some places' managers will watch like a hawk and cut the hours of people not tipping out the house, despite it being federally illegal for the business to take a cut of a tip pool.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/amazonnews/status/1154128117960773632

Amazon is upping their PR game by getting a puff piece from the guys who love phrenology.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Badger of Basra posted:

Amazon is upping their PR game by getting a puff piece from the guys who love phrenology.

Its a very good Roots album, who doesn't?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

This is pretty much the only way to make sure the person you're handing it to has a good chance of keeping the tip, and even then some places' managers will watch like a hawk and cut the hours of people not tipping out the house, despite it being federally illegal for the business to take a cut of a tip pool.

Hmm. I wonder if you CC tip 10% which makes you look like a stingy dick but not ignoring it completely which would set off alarms then actually give the delivery person the cash tip you could avoid this.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Hmm. I wonder if you CC tip 10% which makes you look like a stingy dick but not ignoring it completely which would set off alarms then actually give the delivery person the cash tip you could avoid this.

Just put in a note saying you tip in cash, and then tip well in cash. Boss doesn't get anything from that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ryonguy posted:

Alarms?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

It's one of those things you really, really should take a screenshot of.

Also LOL

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Just put in a note saying you tip in cash, and then tip well in cash. Boss doesn't get anything from that.

Liquid Communism posted:

some places' managers will watch like a hawk and cut the hours of people not tipping out the house, despite it being federally illegal for the business to take a cut of a tip pool.
Hence making it seem like you already tipped.
If the manager sees no tip at all they'll get suspicious, especially if they're the kind of rear end in a top hat who takes parts of tips.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I dont carry cash on me, sorry to all future delivery drivers I meet

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Didn't see this posted yet: E-scooter companies are desperate for repo men to stop impounding their vehicles

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lmao owns. "who disrupts the disruptors?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This owns.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Don Gato posted:

I HAVE SUCH WONDERS TO SHOW YOU :pinhead:

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Thats great. Hopefully they eventually make bank from it, I'd love to see the idea spread to more cities.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/20696405/dockless-scooters-share-repo-men-repossessor-lawsuit-tow-yard-lime-bird-lyft-uber-razor

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Redwood City Ransom is looking good, VGV.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Sundae posted:

Redwood City Ransom is looking good, VGV.

Scooter Fighter would be a fun game, but I'm tied up with the Climate one right now.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Don Gato posted:

I'm going to assume anything you enter into the app can be seen by the company. I agree though, $0 in-app tip and then tip cash when it's delivered.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Family Values posted:

I'm going to assume anything you enter into the app can be seen by the company. I agree though, $0 in-app tip and then tip cash when it's delivered.

Or possibly a pittance in-app, if it turns out they shake their delivery people down for 'suspicious' deliveries with no tips.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this cyberpunk future really sucks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PhazonLink posted:

this cyberpunk future really sucks

Cyberpunk always sucked for most of the people living in it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cyberpunk always sucked for most of the people living in it.

The theory at least went that we'd have rad mohawks and leather jackets instead of creeping ennui and fatalism

oops.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

AFashionableHat posted:

The theory at least went that we'd have rad mohawks and leather jackets instead of creeping ennui and fatalism

oops.

You didn't pay close enough attention. Most of the people worked in terrible jobs for massive corporations and spent their whole lives just hoping not to be downsized in a middle management layoff, if they could even hope to be raised up the ladder that high.

Only your weirdo outside protagonist group wore bizarre hairstyles and contouring makeup sometimes designed to make automated face identification more difficult. Quite lives of ennui was by far the predicted norm.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
We are getting the future cyberpunk predicted only people are just now realizing that they aren't the badass wish-fulfillment protagonist.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh btw here's the ceo of doordash with a bunch of tweets where he details how he just can't believe that workers and customers were unhappy with corporate confiscating the tips.

https://twitter.com/t_xu/status/1153867335318421505

https://twitter.com/t_xu/status/1153867336853536769

don't worry, they'll have their best minds on how to fix the incredibly complex problem of "How do we give our workers the tips that the customers give them without reducing our revenue from wage theft"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tony Xu posted:

4/ Going forward, we’re changing our model - the new model will ensure that Dashers’ earnings will increase by the exact amount a customer tips on every order. We’ll have specific details in the coming days.

The hilariously overworked wording on this tells you everything you need to know about the new model being a load of horseshit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
They're gonna decrease the pay rate by whatever the average tip is, just watch

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

They're gonna decrease the pay rate by whatever the average tip is, just watch

It will be this exactly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Its bullshit

However i have jad numerous very good looking women doordash to me. Really wish I could tip after the fact. If your hot you get a tip. If not you get hosed by technocrats

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ryonguy posted:

We are getting the future cyberpunk predicted only people are just now realizing that they aren't the badass wish-fulfillment protagonist.

I always thought the *point* of cyberpunk was "God, this future sucks". Like, who read William Gibson and thought "This looks like a great place to be a downtrodden corporate tool"?

Turned out Max Headroom was a little more than 20 minutes into the future, but not much.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I always thought the *point* of cyberpunk was "God, this future sucks". Like, who read William Gibson and thought "This looks like a great place to be a downtrodden corporate tool"?

Turned out Max Headroom was a little more than 20 minutes into the future, but not much.

most male nerds read cyberpunk and thought "hell yes i to want to have sex with a punky borg lady"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

most male nerds read cyberpunk and thought "hell yes i to want to have sex with a punky borg lady"

I guess it's good to be a female straight nerd, then, because God knows I didn't want to have sex with Johnny Mnemonic or, somewhat later, Hiro Protagonist. (Although I admit I would have given Matt Frewer a whirl back in the day, but duh, actor.)

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Its bullshit

However i have jad numerous very good looking women doordash to me. Really wish I could tip after the fact. If your hot you get a tip. If not you get hosed by technocrats

It's called cash :10bux:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think it's for middle class people who have very average trouble free first world lives to say "YES, this is EXACTLY like my life!"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that's generally not how people interpret dystopias

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Please don't start him up on Specific Definitions of [x].

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Its bullshit

... gross?

In other news:

It appears Tesla is not satisfying some on Wall Street after another earnings call announcing loses. What I like most about that article/interview is that it is based on the faux-science of technical analysis. I wonder if the blind faith in He Who Must Not Be Named will be able to take on stock numerology and win. Either way, we all lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

A big flaming stink posted:

oh btw here's the ceo of doordash with a bunch of tweets where he details how he just can't believe that workers and customers were unhappy with corporate confiscating the tips.

The other frustrating thing here is that he's about one step away from admitting that having worker income depend on tipping is a lovely practice in general. Like if you're allegedly trying to smooth out tipping variability by confiscating them and redistributing them to bring some consistently to worker income, that's not even tipping anymore. It's so much simpler and logical to remove tipping from the equation altogether and just pay the workers more.