Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's really kind of schizophrenic that the game is both so deathly afraid that you'll miss a single loving sidequest by turning it down, yet also encourages savescumming out the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Judge Tesla posted:

If anyone's wondering how to unlock companion quests, just do things they approve of, for Cait as an example, drink booze, pick locks and be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat to everyone in conversation and she'll eventually open up and give you a quest.

Of course the time she chose to give me her personal quest was right in the middle of Super Mutant territory so her heartfelt conversation had Super Mutants yelling "DIE NOW HUMAN" and "STUPID LADY" in the distance.

You can walk away from a conversation and start it up later without issues.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Literally the only way to actually decline quests is to loving book it, it's as entertaining as it is sad.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Do companions at settlements count as settlers? If so, can I make them do stuff?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Imaginary Friend posted:

General tips for lazy:

Combat
# There is a cover-mechanic; push yourself against walls and use the aim key once the weapon is lowered.

# Armored enemies are easier to take out when shooting against their weak spots, which is usually the head. Shoot off the helmets if the enemy is fully armored.

Base Building
# E and TAB can be used instead of RETURN and ESC in most cases. The scroll wheel can be used to move objects you want to put down closer/further away from you (but only when you've got them centered in your view because Bethesda).

# Traders sell work orders which turn into Resources once you put them in your workbench. Ghouls like to drop adhesives.

# NPCs drop their poo poo (like purified water) in the workbench as well. Check for it under the non-junk tabs.

# After hitting the transfer button in the workshop screen, you can apparently (haven't checked myself) scrap your items from there instead of throwing them on the ground.

Other poo poo
# You can save in the middle of a conversation.

# Craft all of them molerats and radioactive bugs into health if you're low on stimpaks.

Yeah the cooked food is really good - no radiation and heals a lot of HP.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Imaginary Friend posted:

General tips for lazy:

Combat
# There is a cover-mechanic; push yourself against walls and use the aim key once the weapon is lowered.

what the gently caress, is this ever mentioned in the game?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dongattack posted:

what the gently caress, is this ever mentioned in the game?
No. There's a good reason why: it's glitchy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

No. There's a good reason why: it's glitchy.

If that were the case they'd never mention anything.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If that were the case they'd never mention anything.

Hahaha

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's not like Call of Juarez or anything where you're on a hinge, if anything it really just seems to have been implemented so that random objects don't block your shot.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how do i create multiple entities of power armor? I have one unit that just chills in a station but I have enough to make another suit or so. is there a way to have a full set of raider power armor chilling beside my other set?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I never even got an introduction or tooltip for VATS ffs. Game is terrible at telling you game mechanics.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Verviticus posted:

how do i create multiple entities of power armor? I have one unit that just chills in a station but I have enough to make another suit or so. is there a way to have a full set of raider power armor chilling beside my other set?

You can find other power armor frames out in the world. I've also heard you can buy them, but I don't know from where.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Emong posted:

You can find other power armor frames out in the world. I've also heard you can buy them, but I don't know from where.

Atom Cats sells 'em.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah the cooked food is really good - no radiation and heals a lot of HP.

I took Lead Belly. I am caught between saying it's loving amazing or it's a waste of points. I know that's really extremes but still.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey at least it isn't VANS.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lead Belly should have been rolled in with the no radiation swimming perk

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

they should have sent a poet

I hope osmeone mods it so this is how moleratsw introduce themselves in the future ...

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

It's not like Call of Juarez or anything where you're on a hinge, if anything it really just seems to have been implemented so that random objects don't block your shot.

Destiny has the exact same mechanic, which no one explained/talks about/knows about and is also mostly useless.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Goddard the assault rifle is an ugly ugly gun.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
As bad as the dialogue in this can be at times, I like a lot of the reactive commentary your companions have to things going on around them, like Valentine's reaction to the Mysterious Stranger when he shows up. Does every companion have a unique piece of dialogue for those occasions or is something that only certain companions will have here and there?

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Auto lean annoys me because while it does work most of the time, I'd rather have that control in my own hands.

Plus being able to lean yourself means you can do dumb little lean dances.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

randombattle posted:

What about the glowing sea?

I'm level 23 and just now went to Diamond City for the first time

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

A Lamer posted:

Auto lean annoys me because while it does work most of the time, I'd rather have that control in my own hands.

Plus being able to lean yourself means you can do dumb little lean dances.

I always use lean to pretend I'm drunk as poo poo.

Drunk in Space posted:

As bad as the dialogue in this can be at times, I like a lot of the reactive commentary your companions have to things going on around them, like Valentine's reaction to the Mysterious Stranger when he shows up. Does every companion have a unique piece of dialogue for those occasions or is something that only certain companions will have here and there?

Valentine actually has a whole case file on the Mysterious Stranger in his house, it's kind of cute even though "characters in the game recognise gameplay elements!" is pretty overdone.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Lead Belly should have been rolled in with the no radiation swimming perk

:agreed:

Lady Naga posted:

Hey at least it isn't VANS.

I can always console it away and replace it with something else. Thank god Bethesda consoles are always the same and are easy to use.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Falken posted:

Goddard the assault rifle is an ugly ugly gun.

It's like half SAW, half vickers/browning .30 cal, and the one I found is a semi-automatic. It's a very confused weapon.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 13, 2015

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress the Saugus Ironworks is a total bitch. I tried it at around level 10, immediately got roasted by a flamethrower man, decided to leave it for later. Went back around level 16 and didn't fare much better. I'm guessing they wanted to gate these minuteman quests a little.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Xeremides posted:

It's like half SAW, half vickers/browning .30 cal, and the one I found is a semi-automatic. It's a very confused weapon.

Yeah, I was very confused when I found a "Short Assault Rifle" and it ended up being semi-auto. I don't think Bethesda knows what "assault rifle" means.

Bardeh posted:

Holy gently caress the Saugus Ironworks is a total bitch. I tried it at around level 10, immediately got roasted by a flamethrower man, decided to leave it for later. Went back around level 16 and didn't fare much better. I'm guessing they wanted to gate these minuteman quests a little.

If the regular guys with flamers are killing you, save that quest for much later. You fight a boss in power armor and a flamer guy in a tiny room at the end.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Or maybe assault rifle means something 60~ years in the future. Or maybe people forgot what assault rifle meant after civilization died. Or maybe video game guns are the loving stupidest things in the world to care about.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Or maybe assault rifle means something 60~ years in the future. Or maybe people forgot what assault rifle meant after civilization died. Or maybe video game guns are the loving stupidest things in the world to care about.

Hold on, give us a sec to write a couple of effort posts about how much we don't care.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Crap. I told both Dogmeat and the Robot Butler to go to Sanctuary while being IN Sanctuary and now both of them have vanished! No No No No no! I don't want to be stuck with this boring Minutmen ! How can I get them back,. short of going back hours of a saved game?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I can't find the Tesla Science Magazine #7. All the online guides say that it's in the southeast mezzanine room, but I've searched every single loving room and it's not there.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xeremides posted:

Hold on, give us a sec to write a couple of effort posts about how much we don't care.

Are you Venom?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bumfluff posted:

I wonder if all companions even have a quest then, because I got Piper up to max affinity so that I now have her companion perk, but no quest from her.

From a page back, but no, it doesn't seem like it.
I've maxed both Piper and Nick, and while Nick gave me a quest to do before giving me his perk, Piper just gave it to me after some dialogue.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Enos Shenk posted:

The showdown with Kellog. I'm partial to setups where the bad guy taunts you as you get closer, then finally just says "gently caress it, let's talk. Then we'll have our fight.". Piper loving suplexed the guy onto the floor as well, I dunno what kind of journalism school she learned that from.

I used the Sarcastic option in the final part of my conversation with him and it was so, so worth it:

:clint:"In a hundred years, when I finally die, I only hope to go to Hell so I can kill you all over again, you piece of poo poo".:clint:

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 13, 2015

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Comstar posted:

Crap. I told both Dogmeat and the Robot Butler to go to Sanctuary while being IN Sanctuary and now both of them have vanished! No No No No no! I don't want to be stuck with this boring Minutmen ! How can I get them back,. short of going back hours of a saved game?

Try going to sleep or waiting in a chair for a bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I miss being able to wait anywhere. I know it's unrealistic to just stand in one place for 12 hours or whatever, but is it really THAT much better to sit in the same chair for 12 hours instead?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I've been looking for a semi-auto battle rifle in this game and it seems like the combat rifle is the closest thing to a decent one. It makes a really piddly gun sound though. Does the sound change when you mod it to fire .308? Or am I stuck firing this gun that sounds like an SMG?

Any other good battle rifle candidates?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Haha, funny surprise when trying to "swim" in power armor, just stomped across the bottom of the river. Pretty badass moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Man I miss being able to wait anywhere. I know it's unrealistic to just stand in one place for 12 hours or whatever, but is it really THAT much better to sit in the same chair for 12 hours instead?

Rad storms made it kinda impossible to keep that mechanic.

You'd just see it gather and then wait for it to pass. It was also really broken in the other 3D Fallout in how you could essentially reset faction reputations by leaving through a loading zone and wait 3 days on the spot.

Meanwhile in Fallout 1/2, you'd try that, you'd "wake up" getting shotgunned at point blank.

*waits for misterbibs making another retarded comment about how Fallout 3 was better because it allowed that*

• Locked thread