Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, we should ban fascism and racism and all the other bad things. It would be cool if all those things went away forever, because of a ban. It would also be cool if if we had limitless free clean energy and we banned war, too.

Murder is illegal and still happens, I guess we should just get rid of that law and attack the root reasons that people kill each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Help Im Alive posted:

My Dad voted leave because he's terrified of muslims and was/is convinced they'll take over

I live in Northern Ireland where muslims make up I think 0.2% of the population

E: he also supports trump so it's been a great year for learning new things about family

There's actually some Muslims back home these days? When I was wee the only minorities you would see was one of the few thousand Chinese who lived there, outside that, the most exotic people you'd see came up from the Free State (and promptly got their knees bashed in, as often as not.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rscott posted:

Murder is illegal and still happens, I guess we should just get rid of that law and attack the root reasons that people kill each other
Haha, yeah, that's definitely a thing I'm saying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Laws against actions definitely are the same as laws against ideas. That won't cause any problems, in much the same way that laws against actions and laws against possessions are equal and no issues have ever been caused by prohibitions against, say, drugs. Those laws were never, ever used to target groups who don't hold political power.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

The politics of fear is not a melanin problem.

the darker people actually have a reason to be afraid.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

rscott posted:

The act of murder is illegal. We don't throw people in jail for thinking about murder because it may at some time in the future lead to a murder.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Haha, yeah, that's definitely a thing I'm saying.

Murder laws are applied disproportionately to minorities, they're clearly racist and ineffective and should be replaced with laws targeting the root causes of homicide

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Ferguson, the police there used traffic laws as a way to turn a black population that didn't hold political power into a ready source of revenue. That's how little it takes. And you're going to, what, criminalize opinions that don't fall within a certain window? And you think that's just going to work out great? These broad-reaching, extremely vague proposals?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This question really doesn't tell a full story though. "Generic Republican who will act as a check and balance" sounds a whole lot more appealing than "Guy who supported Donald Trump and wants to kill the gays."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The act of murder is illegal. We don't throw people in jail for thinking about murder because it may at some time in the future lead to a murder.

Fascism is literally violence as an ideology, I don't know if you understand that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

No there is nothing floating out there. If it is known about, the journos maybe vetting.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FactsAreUseless posted:

Whose resources? Who enforces it? How do you stop people from targeting groups like BLM with it? What specific opinions are banned? Is it illegal to broadcast them? To post them online? To write them down? To discuss them privately? If someone denies holding an opinion, can they run for office? If they held it in the past and no longer do can they run? What if they're too far left? There have been authoritarian leftists. Are we just banning anyone who isn't sufficiently libertarian?

As a proposal, "let's ban fascism" is just "let's make bad things go away." It sounds good, it doesn't mean anything.

Well over here you've got the old stand by of "an opinion that is likely to cause a breach of the peace". That and transmitting something designed to incite racial or religious hatred.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Well over here you've got the old stand by of "an opinion that is likely to cause a breach of the peace". That and transmitting something designed to incite racial or religious hatred.
Where are you? Can you tell me more about these laws/how they've been used?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

rscott posted:

Fascism is literally violence as an ideology, I don't know if you understand that

Putting that aside, in your fantasy world where you ban fascism forever, how do you actually enforce this? Do we just send out death squads in vans to kill people reading "Mein Kampf" by candlelight or something? What's the endgame in actually doing this?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

video

http://store.steampowered.com/app/507010/

shames

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who even mentions the idea or the basis of an idea of regulating any kind of language that isn't business terminology or advertising based is a literal loving retard

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Putting that aside, in your fantasy world where you ban fascism forever, how do you actually enforce this? Do we just send out death squads in vans to kill people reading "Mein Kampf" by candlelight or something? What's the endgame in actually doing this?

No. We just make them ineligible for office because there's no loving way they intend to respect or uphold the Constitution.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

No. We just make them ineligible for office because there's no loving way they intend to respect or uphold the Constitution.

So how do you define who a fascist is? What political position do you have to hold to turn you from Not-Fascist into Fascist? Is it just if you're racist?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So would Clinton be ineligible for office because she doesn't respect the U.S. Constitution because she's against the Second Amendment and she wants a one-world government and no borders?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Round up all the liberal enablers and send them to re-education camps of course

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

overdesigned posted:

US football fans continue to have strong opinions about protesting during the national anthem:

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/787689419281207296

Or they just continue to hate black people. Or both.

Has he made a statement to the effect of "a bunch of angry white wing assholes yelling at me just reinforces why I protest" yet?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The Constitution Is Bullshit™

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

overdesigned posted:

US football fans continue to have strong opinions about protesting during the national anthem:

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/787689419281207296

Or they just continue to hate black people. Or both.

PC Culture runs amok!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So are you suggesting that people who want to alter the constitution shouldn't be eligible for office? Because, uh, that seems to go somewhat against the intent of the constitution's original authors.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm surprised such a push-poll question managed to get 40% for the other answer. People have an irrational hard-on for "checks and balances."

If you asked "Would you vote for a Republican candidate who can then block most of Hillary Clinton's agenda?", I wonder what percentage you'd get.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Ah, so then when a politician wants to change the constitution or enact a law that, say, regulates the ownership of weapons or the regulation of speech (like no threatening people), we kick them out and ban them from future office?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm starting to think this extremely poorly-thought-out proposal hasn't been thought out very well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Fascists aren't minorities because they not people.

I have the answer guys.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remember, it's okay to declare someone an Unperson if you really, really don't like what they have to say. But it has to be reaaaaaal bad.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

AceOfFlames posted:

OK, my turn to make a noob question: what are ~tildes~ around words supposed to mean? Does ~surrounding~ and putting only ~one mean different things?

It's already been said more succinctly but...

I generally understand them to be (and use them as) sarcastic/mocking/facetious tone marker. That is, to highlight a (usually cliched) phrase or term that some people take very seriously and I think is hogwash.

For example:

• Stock wizards who rely on ~technical analysis~
  • Better be keeping the police in your thoughts and prayers because ~blue lives matter~
  • For that matter, keeping anyone in your ~thoughts and prayers~
  • Hold on, let's not be so hasty to just raise taxes to save entitlements without thinking of the implications. Maybe we should regroup and wait for the Simpson-Bowles Commission to finally give us that ~grand bargain~.
  • Won't somebody ~think of the children~?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 16, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

the darker people actually have a reason to be afraid.

True.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The war on drugs has been a loving disaster, imagine how much worse a war on fascism/racism/misogyny would be.

e: OK reading this over it looks like Im saying we shouldnt even try which is wrong. We should try to stop these but declaring war on it or trying to do whatever weird legislation you seem to be implying would have way too many ways of backfiring.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

It's actually really anti-trump. Especially towards the end of the game where it goes from gently poking fun at the man towards outright making GBS threads all over with him.

Hell, it ends with you traveling back in time to play as the shooter after Trump starts a nuclear war and basically creates the Fourth Reich.

TL;DR: There've been Trump supporters shrieking about it since it came out and threatening Steam/the devs to take it down. The ending is a bit hosed (Especially with all the implied threats towards Hillary i've seen this election. One doesn't justify the other! :stare:) to say the least but holy poo poo the amount of tears i've saw out of it after many of the same posters were crowing about the pro-Trump game has been something. I've even seen a few people inventing conspiracy theories to justify why the game should be removed. Apparently irony is dead to them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 16, 2016

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The only moral fascism is my fascism.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FactsAreUseless posted:

Where are you? Can you tell me more about these laws/how they've been used?

U.k. They are usually applied to smaller organisations (not national newspapers) that are being obviously racist. There is a fair amount of leeway as regards inplementation and interaction with the law. Can't think of any exact examples at the moment, sorry.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember, it's okay to declare someone an Unperson if you really, really don't like what they have to say. But it has to be reaaaaaal bad.

So is your objection to the characteristication of fascism as an ideology that doesn't want to murder everyone not like them or what?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

So would Clinton be ineligible for office because she doesn't respect the U.S. Constitution because she's against the Second Amendment and she wants a one-world government and no borders?

She isn't a fascist. She isn't even the same liberal in the sense her husband was.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

So how do you define who a fascist is? What political position do you have to hold to turn you from Not-Fascist into Fascist? Is it just if you're racist?

You can start with the people who are openly calling for the harm of American citizens, in particular those who are minorities. There are far more rigorous definitions, of course. But this already starts to clearly separate Donald Trump from the rest of the cowards in the GOP.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Good attention to detail, with the small hands.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

So are you suggesting that people who want to alter the constitution shouldn't be eligible for office? Because, uh, that seems to go somewhat against the intent of the constitution's original authors.

you should be booted from office if you vote for unconstitutional laws imo.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

So how do you define who a fascist is?

if you advocate palingenetic ultranationalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

She isn't a fascist. She isn't even the same liberal in the sense her husband was.
Are you sure? Because a large percentage of the American people seem to think so. How sure are you that the National Anti-Fascist Search Committee only agrees with your opinions?

• Locked thread