Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Factor Mystic posted:

Marine Biology was imprinted into 80s/90s kids brains due to it literally being in the zeitgeist. I mean look at this:

The Voyage of the Mimi (1984)
The Second Voyage of the Mimi (1988)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
Free Willy (1993)
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995)
Flipper (the tv show, 4 seasons starting 1995)
Flipper (1996)
Free Willy 3: The Rescue (1997)

e: forgot the flipper tv show

Don't forget Echo the Dolphin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AA is for Quitters posted:

I wanted to be an entomologist after playing Earthworm Jim. True story.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Factor Mystic posted:

Marine Biology was imprinted into 80s/90s kids brains due to it literally being in the zeitgeist. I mean look at this:

The Voyage of the Mimi (1984)
The Second Voyage of the Mimi (1988)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
Free Willy (1993)
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995)
Flipper (the tv show, 4 seasons starting 1995)
Flipper (1996)
Free Willy 3: The Rescue (1997)

e: forgot the flipper tv show

Seaquest (1993-1996) They had a talking dolphin!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AA is for Quitters posted:

You're thinking of sound reflections. The videogame was called Ecce the Dolphin.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're thinking of sound reflections. The videogame was called Ecce the Dolphin.
You're thinking of John 19:5, "ecce homo" or "behold the man". The videogame was called Ecco the Dolphin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

As a kid, astronaut and garbage man were both on the potential career list. In retrospect, the saddest was when I told my mom I wanted to be a grad student like my dad so that I could see him.

:smith:

I wish I had become a garbage man. Work early, plenty of days off, and one of the few jobs where a strike will immediately bring a city to the bargaining table.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish I had become a garbage man. Work early, plenty of days off, and one of the few jobs where a strike will immediately bring a city to the bargaining table.

What's stopping you, then?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

edit: I will never forget the day someone in BFC pointed out to me what carrying interest on a credit card was doing every month to our cash flow and it was like this light flipped on. Doctors are human beings just like everyone else and it's really easy to justify bad behavior when you've been delaying gratification so long and you see all your peers with their whole lives developing while you're in this arrested development. The resource I read that really made up my mind was "the Millionaire Next Door," just wish I'd read it before I bought our car.

Another BFC success story :toot:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Riding a horse can give a young girl her first orgasm.
"Riding" a dolphin would lead to them literally destroying your pelvis with their footlong dick and crazy musculature.

...this is the thread for this, right :ohdear:

This is extremely not the thread for this

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's some personal BWM for you: our very last year of medical training, by this point well over $400,000 in student loan debt, my wife and I elected to have a twenty five thousand dollar wedding and a four thousand dollar honeymoon we "paid for" ourselves on credit cards, some interest free but much of it riding on APR interest rates. We had literally zero dollars in savings, and were living with, like $800 each in our checking accounts and decided we wouldn't ask family for money. Instead of gifts or money, we had our guests donate to charity with the understanding we'd be earning "soon enough" to justify it. We proceeded to then get pregnant within a year and had a baby, delaying my wife's entry into her staff job 3 months while she took maternity. To top it off, before we even paid down our credit cards, I went out and bought her a NEW (ugh) $70,000 car with just my first month's paycheck to get approved for an auto loan. Also before we had even paid off credit card debt, we'd gone out and bought a house with zero down on 2 (actually relatively reasonably structured) ARMs stacked on top of each other (and were so cash poor that I wasn't sure we would have cash to put up earnest money), but by this point I was reading BFC on the regular and things were looking up.

Being really high earning and living on a budget swings things pretty rapidly the other way toward being VGWM, but that's not what this thread is about. You came here for the red meat!

edit: I will never forget the day someone in BFC pointed out to me what carrying interest on a credit card was doing every month to our cash flow and it was like this light flipped on. Doctors are human beings just like everyone else and it's really easy to justify bad behavior when you've been delaying gratification so long and you see all your peers with their whole lives developing while you're in this arrested development. The resource I read that really made up my mind was "the Millionaire Next Door," just wish I'd read it before I bought our car.

I have been in the medical industry for a fairly long time and before that knew quite a few med students. I honestly thing money management should be a mandatory class.

Edit: Based on a smaller sample size the same should apply to nurses.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
well the thing is a huge part of debt is the difficulty in getting out from under it and a dual doctor family just will never have that problem, which is a pretty awesome perk lol

like you said, as soon as you became debt aware it just starts melting away, whereas for poor people it's just the start of bankruptcy or a decade(s) long struggle in case of non dischargeable debt

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A lot of people start spending like they have a real doctor job the moment they get their MD when for many it will be another ten years before they actually break six figures. Add that spending to all their student debt and many live pay cheque to pay cheque for decades.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
I have a couple friends who are nautical archaeologists (which is entirely, completely unrelated to marine biology). Basically, you need a Ph.D to get an actual job in the field and you will either be a professor or work for a museum. They are in their mid-30's before getting a real job and their research consists of digging up shipwrecks for various reasons (for example, studying ancient Mediterranean trade routes by analyzing the pottery found on a shipwreck). It takes forever to finish your Ph.D because a nontrivial part of your time there is sitting around electrolyzing centuries of crap off the surface of the boat parts and cargo you really want to research. I guess they enjoy what they do and admittedly they have cool pictures on Facebook when they're doing field work (diving in picturesque places), but it's a tough path and doesn't pay terribly well.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

cowofwar posted:

A lot of people start spending like they have a real doctor job the moment they get their MD when for many it will be another ten years before they actually break six figures. Add that spending to all their student debt and many live pay cheque to pay cheque for decades.

yes that's a fun thing people like to bring up as an example of the hubris of doctors, but in reality, living "paycheck to paycheck" is actually fantastic when your paycheck is huge and your credit is amazing, and statistically the overwhelming majority of doctors are still immensely wealthy by the time they are older (see http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2015/debt-and-net-worth )

and even then a dual doctor family, which is what i was talking about, is a completely different story altogether

edit: the direct link isn't working but you can just Google "average doctor savings us" for it

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Dual MD just means you pay up to 50% marginal tax rate and get boned hard by the marriage penalty. It's a serious disincentive to increased productivity. Rather just take longer vacations. Eat faster do you do pain? 4/4 of my anesthesia friends said screw this and do pain. Great WM. Great with not having to wake up for 7 AM OR time. Great with not having to put up with bullshit surgeons.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

potatoducks posted:

Dual MD just means you pay up to 50% marginal tax rate and get boned hard by the marriage penalty. It's a serious disincentive to increased productivity. Rather just take longer vacations. Eat faster do you do pain? 4/4 of my anesthesia friends said screw this and do pain. Great WM. Great with not having to wake up for 7 AM OR time. Great with not having to put up with bullshit surgeons.

I love OR anesthesia, and thrive on conflict. I was very nearly a surgeon and don't mind getting up early. You literally could not pay me enough to be a pain physician. My wife and I both work at a state hospital so our comp. isn't as lucrative as some in my field but the benefits are VERY good and the hours are incredibly cushy compared with private practice.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 22, 2017

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Sic Semper Goon posted:

What's stopping you, then?

If you had a toddler you would know that garbage men are being replaced by automated equipment pretty fast. A crew of three is now a crew of one on each truck.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

If you had a toddler you would know that garbage men are being replaced by automated equipment pretty fast. A crew of three is now a crew of one on each truck.

What does this do with having a toddler?

This is "if it hadn't been for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college" stuff here.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 22, 2017

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Nail Rat posted:

This is "if it hasn't been for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college" stuff here.

Sorry if it is too vague a connection, my son is fully into garbage truck facination mode. Seems common as there is an endless amount of toy garbage trucks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

potatoducks posted:

Rather just take longer vacations. Eat faster do you do pain? 4/4 of my anesthesia friends said screw this and do pain. Great WM. Great with not having to wake up for 7 AM OR time. Great with not having to put up with bullshit surgeons.

Out of context this sounds creepy as heck.

Do you do pain? :gibs:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Volmarias posted:

Don't kinkshame :quagmire:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Sorry if it is too vague a connection, my son is fully into garbage truck facination mode. Seems common as there is an endless amount of toy garbage trucks.

I thought your son was working on the garbage trucks and you were worried about his job security.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
In today's economy, you have to plan for their career when they're 2, or they'll never get hired as a sanitation engineer.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Volmarias posted:

In today's economy, you have to plan for their career when they're 2, or they'll never get hired as a sanitation engineer.

I hate that phrase. Garbage men and janitors aren't in engineering positions. Now the people who design sewers, spillways, dams, culvert, and sluices... those are the real sanitation engineers.
:goonsay:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Even in context I'm not entirely sure EAT FASTER DO YOU DO PAIN isn't some of their inner serial killer leaking out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

I hate that phrase.

Hoo boy let me tell you about my last all-hands company meeting, in which management said "everyone in this room is an engineer" and then went on to talk about "marketing engineers" and "sales engineers"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Engineer is such a watered down term these days that it's a wonder people still bother using it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

This is "if it hadn't been for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college" stuff here.

Toddlers like to watch garbage trucks.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you're salty about other people getting the title engineer then you should just find yourself a new title because fighting that fight is a losing battle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Do they still have those commercials for $20 videotapes (well, now they'd be DVDs) of just footage of trucks driving places, or trains or planes or whatever? I remember CLICKETY CLACK DOWN THE TRACKS and I know it had continued to be a thing well beyond my childhood but I don't know if it's still a thing. That's pretty BWM, especially now that YouTube exists.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Not everyone lives where the toddler could see a garbage truck, i.e. an apartment building. Also not all toddlers are at home where the parent could see that fascination, some of them are at daycare when trash pickups happen (generally weekdays).

He gave clarification on what he meant specifically, but it really needed some more context because just having a toddler doesn't really imply anything there.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Not a Children posted:

Engineer is such a watered down term these days that it's a wonder people still bother using it

For real. The thing I've discovered lately is that the freshly graduated "Mechanical Engineer" roughly translates to "Knows how to use solid works reasonably quickly". Ask metallurgy questions and I get blank stares, from someone in charge of the weld shop. God, people being covetous about titles is running my company into the ground.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Titles are the kind of thing I feel like people in their 20s care about. Pay me six figures and you can call me Junior Shitlord for all I care.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Noctone posted:

Pay me six figures and you can call me Junior Shitlord for all I care.

New thread title plz.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Noctone posted:

Titles are the kind of thing I feel like people in their 20s care about. Pay me six figures and you can call me Junior Shitlord for all I care.

When those same people get to 35ish they'll realize that titles are a joke too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

Not everyone lives where the toddler could see a garbage truck, i.e. an apartment building. Also not all toddlers are at home where the parent could see that fascination, some of them are at daycare when trash pickups happen (generally weekdays).

He gave clarification on what he meant specifically, but it really needed some more context because just having a toddler doesn't really imply anything there.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that kids are super fascinated with garbage trucks. Guess not

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Barry posted:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that kids are super fascinated with garbage trucks. Guess not

It is. Literally anyone who has even distant interactions with a toddler got the reference.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Like autistic children and vacuum cleaners.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Noctone posted:

6 figures isn't that much money for such a bad title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My kid was all stoked about engineers in 5th grade and came home and wrote a paper on them for school. Something to do with STEM I guess.

I told her I'm an engineer. She just looked at me and sighed and I really couldn't argue with her. But my work title did say engineer.

• Locked thread