Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blarzgh posted:

Pigeon is gross, but squirrel is fine, it's just really tough and chewy

I would imagine that’d partly depend on whether it was a pigeon of olden times, having been raised on food, or a modern pigeon, having been raised on cigarette butts and McDonald’s wrappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A pigeon that hasn't been eating nothing but garbage it's entire life is just a dove, which is like dry dark meat chicken.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Pigeon is gross, but squirrel is fine, it's just really tough and chewy

Some guy recently died of vCJD after eating squirrel; they don't know if he ate the brains or the rest of the meat was contaminated.

I guess there's a reason varmints are free. They'll loving kill you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Squab is just pigeon, but it probably ate better food.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Squirrels may be covered by hunting laws in your state and require a license.

Pigeons probably not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You should definitely go all costanza on some pigeons and report back, please.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kedo posted:

Not that I have any intention of doing this, but would it be legal to use a pellet/bb gun to shoot pigeons or squirrels to eat in my suburban backyard? My dad is old as dirt and has lots of stories of hunting both as a kid when his family had no money. I’m curious if that sort of thing is still acceptable or legal, generally speaking, not in any one city/state jurisdiction.

That is illegal in my city. But using a bow and arrow is not.

As for eating city animals, don't. They eat a lot of literal garbage.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Go find ducks to shoot dude

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go find ducks to shoot dude

It stopped working when I got a flat screen. I was disappointed.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Duck hunting is kind of an undertaking and the duck stamp on your hunting license can be expensive. You can hunt rabbit on a base level hunting license though (in TN).

Also feral hogs are a free for all. Lol upgrade from pigeons to an animal that will try to kill you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Go out like a man and die spearhunting some feral hogs in a florida swamp.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Nevvy Z posted:

This company I'm looking at giftcards for family from wants me to click-agree that they expire in 180 days in violation of federal law. Who do I report this to?
Assuming you're in the US, gift cards would fall under the jurisdiction of the Federal Trade Commission, https://www.ftc.gov

You also might want to try the CFPB although I don't think that is generally considered a part of their duties.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don’t go out there to die. Go out there to live.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks legal goons! Now I’m off to GWS to find a good recipe for Garbage Squab.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think Bushman ever asked for legal non-advice, to be honest.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

null_pointer posted:

I don't think Bushman ever asked for legal non-advice, to be honest.

When it comes to pig law, Bushman is the law.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Some guy recently died of vCJD after eating squirrel; they don't know if he ate the brains or the rest of the meat was contaminated.

I thought that took, like, 40 years to kill you?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I thought that took, like, 40 years to kill you?

It's not like there's a cure for it. You gradually lose all of your faculties and have symptoms that mimic schizophrenia until you die from holes in your brain.

Not the way I'd choose to go.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BonerGhost posted:

So you have same chance as getting hit by lightning seven times, which are pretty good odds.

Or just don't eat the brains or spinal cord.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This may be more of a finance question, but we'll see.

Why would a married couple nearing/at retirement age create a LLC to hold real estate in order to generate a monthly income stream instead of holding the real estate as a private owner? Also, the total value of all the property is under the estate tax exemption minimum of $11.2 million (and probably the 2017 exemption of $5.5 million), so it's not like it'll save anything on a estate tax bill that won't exist.

Is there an unknown tax benefit I'm missing? Maybe personal liability protection in case a renter sues the landlord? Something else I'm missing?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Personal asset protection and the new tax law, I believe, made passthrough income a lot more advantageous. Hiding behind a corporate form makes tax write offs a lot easier too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This may be more of a finance question, but we'll see.

Why would a married couple nearing/at retirement age create a LLC to hold real estate in order to generate a monthly income stream instead of holding the real estate as a private owner? Also, the total value of all the property is under the estate tax exemption minimum of $11.2 million (and probably the 2017 exemption of $5.5 million), so it's not like it'll save anything on a estate tax bill that won't exist.

Is there an unknown tax benefit I'm missing? Maybe personal liability protection in case a renter sues the landlord? Something else I'm missing?

I'd have to have a lot more detail, but possibly Medicaid planning. Move assets out early enough and you can avoid having all personal property gnawed up by end of life care costs.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd have to have a lot more detail, but possibly Medicaid planning. Move assets out early enough and you can avoid having all personal property gnawed up by end of life care costs.

What sort of questions would you ask to get more detail? I get the feeling that the moving assets part is a benefit of this strategy, but not the primary reason behind the strategy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

What sort of questions would you ask to get more detail? I get the feeling that the moving assets part is a benefit of this strategy, but not the primary reason behind the strategy.

"Ones I would bill for" but lots of financial and personal detail. There are lots of potential reasons to move assets into a corporation and it's kinda hard to speculate. Trying asking someone involved why it was done?

Liability shield seems most likely if it's just a real estate holding company and the ultimate ownership didn't shift to kids.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 26, 2018

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It was told to me like this - husband and wife create LLC to hold assets, to provide rental income during retirement. Also planning on retirement funds, small pension, and social security to get them through retirement but the LLC is going to supplement all that and provide $3-6k/month in rents and other income. Also, once they die, three of the four children are supposed to take over management of the LLC. That's about the extent of the detail I got.

Didn't make sense to me since it's not a large amount of assets but liability shield does seem like the likeliest reason to me. Glad someone else sees it that way too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It was told to me like this - husband and wife create LLC to hold assets, to provide rental income during retirement. Also planning on retirement funds, small pension, and social security to get them through retirement but the LLC is going to supplement all that and provide $3-6k/month in rents and other income. Also, once they die, three of the four children are supposed to take over management of the LLC. That's about the extent of the detail I got.

Didn't make sense to me since it's not a large amount of assets but liability shield does seem like the likeliest reason to me. Glad someone else sees it that way too.

For $3-6k per month in rents, that may end up saving them $2-3k a year in taxes on that income. And you get liability protection on top of that. The yearly registration fee for a Corp or LLC is +/- $300 (depends on the state). If they're doing their own taxes, there shouldn't be any additional expense for the corporate form.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You can do the same thing with a trust. The difference is that the tenants can't sue a member of an LLC if the house collapses and kills their children, whereas they can sue the person managing the trust.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So to wrap up my years of occasional posts asking for thoughts on my grandmother's estate:

My mother taken over as executor and has wrapped up the estate. I even get a check.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 27, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

So to wrap up my years of occasional posts asking for thoughts on my grandmother's estate:

My mother taken over as executor and has wrapped up the estate. I even get a check.

Hey congrats! I checked the post history, and yeah, two years+ is not out of the ordinary for these things. I'm glad you can finally move on.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Speaking of death... maybe this isn't strictly a legal question but I don't know a better place right now to post it.

My mom died back in October and had a group life insurance policy through her work that I am the sole beneficiary of. The record keeping is handled through a third party that her employer uses. I sent them the death certificate on October 24th. It's been a little over two months now and they still haven't sent the information to Prudential so that they can process and pay the claim. I've called them several times over the past month, and was told a case manager would reach out to me twice, but it never happened. Last week when I called them again, they told me it had been processed, but Prudential still doesn't have any of the paperwork they need to pay me. Am I just being too impatient here or should I ask my attorney to step in? Two months seems awfully excessive, and I need that money because it was really expensive to bury my mom.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Speaking of death... maybe this isn't strictly a legal question but I don't know a better place right now to post it.

My mom died back in October and had a group life insurance policy through her work that I am the sole beneficiary of. The record keeping is handled through a third party that her employer uses. I sent them the death certificate on October 24th. It's been a little over two months now and they still haven't sent the information to Prudential so that they can process and pay the claim. I've called them several times over the past month, and was told a case manager would reach out to me twice, but it never happened. Last week when I called them again, they told me it had been processed, but Prudential still doesn't have any of the paperwork they need to pay me. Am I just being too impatient here or should I ask my attorney to step in? Two months seems awfully excessive, and I need that money because it was really expensive to bury my mom.

It "seems" like a long time to me, but it also doesn't surprise me. I'd call every loving day twice a day until they got tired of hearing from me. Once you pay an attorney to step in, you're not getting that expense tacked on to the benefit unless he actually sues on your behalf which practically guarantees you won't get paid for years.

Depending on the state, there is a statute of limitations that says you have to file suit within "X" years to get them to pay you if they just never do, but that is generally anywhere from 2-4 years, although it could be as short as 6 months.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm not at all worried about Prudential paying me. Oklahoma law says they have to do it in a timely manner (whatever that means), and I feel reasonably confident that they are gonna wanna get it off their books. Hell, they already reached out to me and are paying me for some short term disability benefits that was still payable to my mom when she died, something I would have never even known about. It's this dumb third party benefits administrator (Business Solver) gumming up the works. I just wish I had a good frame of reference for how long this is supposed to take. Perhaps I'll call the HR department and ask them for advice. Edit: Their benefits people are out until next week.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 27, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

In Louisiana the life insurer has to pay within 60 days of receipt of proof of death (unless they have "just cause" not to pay, i.e. denial of claim or valid dispute as to coverage for some reason) after which interest starts running at 8% per year.

I'm not an Oklahoma lawyer, but here are two statutes that seem to apply. Your lawyer surely knows more than I do and I would ask him/her.

(As you note, they are both directed to the insurer and I don't know how a TPA like Business Solver comes into the equation, if at all. Can you go around them and talk directly to Prudential?)

According to 36 Okl. St. § 4030.1:

A. Within ten (10) days after an insurer receives written notification of the death of a person covered by a policy of life insurance, the insurer shall provide to the claimant the necessary forms to be completed to establish proof of the death of the insured and, if required by the policy, the interest of the claimant. If the policy contains a provision requiring surrender of the policy prior to settlement, the insurer shall include a written statement to that effect with the forms to be completed. Forms to establish proof of death and proof of the interest of the claimant shall be approved by the Insurance Commissioner.

B. An insurer shall pay the proceeds of any benefits under a policy of life insurance not more than thirty (30) days after the insurer has received proof of death of the insured. If the proceeds are not paid within this period, the insurer shall pay interest on the proceeds, at a rate which is not less than the current rate of interest on death proceeds on deposit with the insurer, from the date of death of the insured to the date when the proceeds are paid. Should the insurer hold its deposits in a noninterest bearing account, the rate of interest to be paid shall be the same rate of interest as the average United States Treasury Bill rate of the preceding calendar year, as certified to the Insurance Commissioner by the State Treasurer on the first regular business day in January of each year, plus two (2) percentage points, which shall accrue from the thirty-first day after receipt of proof of loss until the proceeds are paid. Payment shall be deemed to have been made on the date a check, draft or other valid instrument which is equivalent to payment was placed in the U.S. mails in a properly addressed, postpaid envelope; or, if not so posted, on the date of delivery of such instrument to the beneficiary.

C. Subsection B of this section shall not apply to any life insurance policy issued before October 1, 1978, which contains specific provisions to the contrary.

However, § 4013 says:

There shall be a provision that when a policy shall become a claim by the death of the insured settlement shall be made upon receipt of due proof of death and, at the insurer's option, surrender of the policy and/or proof of the interest of the claimant. If an insurer shall specify a particular period prior to the expiration of which settlement shall be made, such period shall not exceed two (2) months from the receipt of such proofs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Hey, congrats. I'm still dealing with mine, just got served by one creditor who didn't bother to make a claim until after 2 years who decided to sue right off the bat.

Joke's on them, after I'm reimbursed admin expenses and my fee and pay the lawyer, there's nothing left :v:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Joke's on them, after I'm reimbursed admin expenses and my fee and pay the lawyer, there's nothing left :v:

Nice

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
General question: Do all lawyers wait until the last god drat minute to do anything? My lawyer's punctuality on virtually everything has been consistently terrible and I'm curious if this is a general Lawyer Thing or just him.

e: to confirm, I realize I am the center of everybody's universe and that lawyers absolutely do not have other clients they are representing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

General question: Do all lawyers wait until the last god drat minute to do anything? My lawyer's punctuality on virtually everything has been consistently terrible and I'm curious if this is a general Lawyer Thing or just him.

e: to confirm, I realize I am the center of everybody's universe and that lawyers absolutely do not have other clients they are representing.
Not all, but it's not uncommon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As long as they don’t miss deadlines then they are acting as normal lawyers.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Some even do it deliberately to deny OC as much time as possible to respond.

I always found that logic stupid and I usually get stuff done in good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They are busy and have lives outside of work as well if you can believe it. Unless they promised you something by a particular time, it's pretty normal.