Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

Hope you really enjoyed the travel times on the Galaxy Map in MEA :v:

Ohhhh yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guildencrantz posted:

For all the massive and often cringeworthy flaws with the writing, I have to commend the way the main character is written most of the time. Plus no idea about how the dude voice actor handles it, but the lady VA is really good.

They did a good job differentiating Ryder from Shepard, in ways that make sense. Even if you go for the rational and professional options, Ryder has a much warmer personality than the serious-minded Shep, and relies on charisma rather than authority. The character isn't nearly as badass but is genuinely likeable.

At first I was disappointed at the lack of Renegade-esque rear end in a top hat intimidation options. Most aggressive options are just being rude and sarcastic. Then I realised that this makes total sense in context because we're no longer Commander Shepard who starts the game as a decorated veteran, we're some college aged scrub who lucked into a position through nepotism and doesn't scare anyone. It makes the "I will gently caress your poo poo up" moment pretty satisfying when it comes.

The game could really use a nod to that though, I wish there was an early conversation choice where you try to coldly threaten someone Shep-style and get laughed out of the room.

I love that they made the male and female Ryders their own characters too. Shepard wasn't just a badass though, he was an N7-rated special-ops soldier. You do not gently caress with anyone bearing an N7 rating unless you want to spend time contemplating your mistake in an intensive-care ward.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'm about 50 hours in, just played Drack's loyalty mission and holy poo poo that made up for a whole lot of animation glitches and audio bugs right there.

Also, unrelated--Vetra almost fully skilled out with the priming disruptor ammo is a beast--between her and my Ryder's incinerate/concussive shot detonations every five seconds the battles are pure chaos. This is easily the most fun I've had in combat in a Mass Effect game. except when they throw too many Kett at you and the framerate tanks

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 2, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I liked when Bradley scolded me for wearing N7 armor.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait, really? People can react to that?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I tried to edit that to remove the reference to the bomb before posting that because you're right, whoops, but she still wanted to start serious poo poo with the Nexus to prove they were strong. There was no lie about her naming herself Overlord Morda or ranting about attacking the Nexus.

When she made a demand and the Initiative acceded to her, that gave her the victory she needed. All the Krogan wanted was to be treated as equals.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Ok I'm a dumb lazy goon who sort of liked mass effect 1 more than the other two, should I buy Andromeda at full price because I will like it or should get it on sale in a year since it'll just be mostly ok but nothing special?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

blowfish posted:

Ok I'm a dumb lazy goon who sort of liked mass effect 1 more than the other two, should I buy Andromeda at full price because I will like it or should get it on sale in a year since it'll just be mostly ok but nothing special?

It's $44 on GMG, and $48 on Amazon if you have Prime. I think it's worth that but there's no harm in waiting either.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

blowfish posted:

Is your reaction to animation errors and bad dialogue to laugh like it's a good B-movie, or be angry that you spent money on a game? How capable are you of ignoring 75% of the obviously dreary sidequests the game throws at you? The answers to these questions determine how enjoyable it is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Ok, I can ignore lovely sidequests and goofy stuff, so I might give it a shot :toot:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

blowfish posted:

Ok, I can ignore lovely sidequests and goofy stuff, so I might give it a shot :toot:

You'll find it pleasantly acceptable! Seriously the minute I stopped doing the pointless side quests unless they were right next to me was when I really started to have actual fun.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

blowfish posted:

You can't ignore them. You can just not complete them.

E: What I mean is; the place is littered with them. You'll be on your way to a point on the map to do something and you'll pass half a dozen side quests. A lot of which will trigger some dialogue. A lot of the time that side quest that you were trying to ignore will trigger dialogue that will cut off the dialogue from the quest you wanted to do.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 2, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
neat thing that in a game where can change your name the npcs are actually voice acted to use the default. i wonder if you werent allowed to change the name at some point?

seems rare though. so far the only times i can remember are in SAM node, a suvi relationship, and kelly

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 2, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BrianWilly posted:

Wait, really? People can react to that?

Yeah, Bradley lightly chides you for wearing that armor since he's former Alliance military and still takes it serious but understands that it was your dad's armor.

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?
So I'm about 25 hours in playing the single player and now I have a persistent crash occurring on arriving to Nexus, preventing progression. This game is so loving good. :ironicat:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, Bradley lightly chides you for wearing that armor since he's former Alliance military and still takes it serious but understands that it was your dad's armor.

Plus, any old scrub can just buy it on the Nexus.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There's no longer a promotion mechanism to make anyone a N7 anyway since the Alliance is long dead. Wearing that armor is like dressing up as a space Roman Legionnaire :toot:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ryder is wearing it in remembrance of Shepard, who insanely, brutally died.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dan Didio posted:

Ryder is wearing it in remembrance of Shepard, who insanely, brutally died.

The station fell on Shepard, then onto the planet followed closely by the galaxy exploding.

All that remained was a franchise monetisation plan turned into confetti, scattering to the solar winds.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
N7 armour is for wannabes, Maverick Ambusher 4 lyfe yo.

The impossible has happened - Addison finally has a good line:

"loving HELL."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is kind of funny how N7 armor goes from being really drat good to being one of the first and worst sets of armor you can get. But then I guess I was spoiled by angaran and heleus champion armor.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Light-headed Fool posted:

So I'm about 25 hours in playing the single player and now I have a persistent crash occurring on arriving to Nexus, preventing progression. This game is so loving good. :ironicat:

And this is really bad considering Andromeda is nothing but cutscene loads.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

In the interest of...I dunno, something...my friend and I were talking today and agreed that this game doesn't have enough "fail conditions." As in, there's not really enough ways to make things go badly for yourself or others. Most decisions in this game just result in one outcome...or another outcome that's a bit different but not worse. I understand that they were trying to step away from more obvious, "you obviously want this/you obviously don't want this" choices, but there's got to have been a happier medium. The way that things stand, you can go through the game making zero planets viable other than Eos, and the game is still going to end with all planets being fixed by space magic anyway. There's no way to actually fail.

It doesn't have to be failure in major story-altering ways, either. But consider: what if there were ways to "fail" at your relationships based on your personality type? What if Peebee or Gil won't like if you're too formal all the time, or Jaal won't like it if you don't let your feelings show more often? That'd be an interesting way to adapt the "alignment-based" relationship-blocks from some of the earlier Bioware games, where Viconia doesn't like good guys or whatever.

Very, very few people like playing games where they find out they failed hours after it happened. If I really wanted to romance Peebee and found out I had wrecked it six convos ago, I might stop playing. A big rule of vidya game design is that you don't do things that make players put down your game.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
N7 armor is the best though.

I can see a case for Hyperguardian chest armor, but otherwise nah.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

homullus posted:

Very, very few people like playing games where they find out they failed hours after it happened. If I really wanted to romance Peebee and found out I had wrecked it six convos ago, I might stop playing. A big rule of vidya game design is that you don't do things that make players put down your game.

hes right about fail conditions though - even previous ME games had them. you could fail loyalty missions, squad members could die. in this you can have loyalty missions end with a screaming match and then "You've earned x's loyalty!" pops up. i feel like there were failure conditions - jaal/vetra's loyalty missions especially, and then they took them out

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Verviticus posted:

hes right about fail conditions though - even previous ME games had them. you could fail loyalty missions, squad members could die. in this you can have loyalty missions end with a screaming match and then "You've earned x's loyalty!" pops up. i feel like there were failure conditions - jaal/vetra's loyalty missions especially, and then they took them out

More likely planned and scrapped, like a lot of stuff.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Peebee's too probably.

Sorry, totally shot at you to prevent you saving your lover. I need that boondoggle, and she tried to kill us. Welcome to the team.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

homullus posted:

I mean, ideally it wouldn't be a trick or anything. You'd have, for instance, a tooltip popping up early in the game that flat out tells you that certain companions aren't into certain personality types. And then you'd have these companions, Peebee for instance, outright tell you if they like the way you're acting.

I know gamers can be real dense about mechanics sometimes but there's certainly a way to make it as foolproof as possible.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
https://i.imgur.com/eADHjGA.mp4

Talk about an overload!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, ideally it wouldn't be a trick or anything. You'd have, for instance, a tooltip popping up early in the game that flat out tells you that certain companions aren't into certain personality types. And then you'd have these companions, Peebee for instance, outright tell you if they like the way you're acting.

I know gamers can be real dense about mechanics sometimes but there's certainly a way to make it as foolproof as possible.

Press E to gently caress [party member]

Oh you were trying to open a door? Well now you're porking on the filthy floor of this remnant vault like animals.

The only game that got romances correct was Saints Row 4.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this game is good and well made

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Why do the space helmets at the beginning of the game break so easily? And why can't your helmet be fixed by your dad when they clearly setup that you can repair a broken helmet with the omnitool? Your dad's noble sacrifice feels so lame and forced.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Why doesn't your dad do the thing we've seen scuba divers do on like a billion movies and just share the helmet? Why don't you just create a seal with your mouth over where your breather is? Why do we keep struggling to breathe the air we know is toxic?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You just cracked the screen the first time, the second time you straight up lost the whole windshield because you like to catch yourself with your dang face. You have had repeated concussions and facial bone fractures through the course of your life, which explains your hosed up facial expressions

See, it's worldbuilding!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given all the just-in-time manufacturing and force fields ME tech uses, not being able to handle a broken faceplate on an expedition suit is just stupid.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah why the gently caress didn't our shields protect us from that box r whatever that hit us in the face?

Maybe have one of these in your supplies just in case?

That thing was somehow vacuum rated.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 2, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

if you couldn't figure out for example, Peebee likes casual, Cora likes professional and Jaal likes emotional responses then you're probably too dumb for even Mass Effect's level of storyline.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So I've gotten about three hours into this and it's okay but I was wondering when Shepherd is supposed show up? I'm ready to switch to him, I'm done with this tutorial character

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why doesn't your dad do the thing we've seen scuba divers do on like a billion movies and just share the helmet? Why don't you just create a seal with your mouth over where your breather is? Why do we keep struggling to breathe the air we know is toxic?

That wouldn't necessarily work if the problem was poison rather than lack of oxygen, that might just be a very efficient way to kill both people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

So I've gotten about three hours into this and it's okay but I was wondering when Shepherd is supposed show up? I'm ready to switch to him, I'm done with this tutorial character

Dan Didio posted:

Shepard, who insanely, brutally died.