Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The feces aren’t even his!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I forget who it was, maybe AT&T (years ago now). So many layers of defense it was almost impossible to speak to a person. I spent easily an hour just trying for work. They ought to just have the computer prompts say “gently caress you, go away”

Last year I tried to call British Airways as they cancelled our international flight the night before and I knew due to EU laws (which the UK still sticks to, despite the nonsense) they owed me something like €1,500, and when I did so, they just had a recording that said "Thank you for calling British Airways. Due to unusually high call volumes, we can't answer your call" and then it hung up on me.

Googling revealed that many people have had this experience, for several years now, so I suspect they actually just don't have a call centre anymore and play that message all the time.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

One of the great tragedies of Amazon's success is that it happened in spite of what a piece of poo poo website it actually is.

Yeah, I think easy returns just papered over the lovely website

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

big black turnout posted:

Yeah, I think easy returns just papered over the lovely website

Amazon may be a lemon market, but what else are you going to do? order from an actual store and pay $7 for shipping?!?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The translations can be pretty great sometimes

From this cordless glue gun. It's :fivecbux: + :10bux: shipping which is still pretty cheap but I'm not completely sure I really need it
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005921243052.html

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yeah I think I remember that Ohgr song.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

AliExpress translation posted:

Akkum with grinder

I should call her...

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006594173011.html

looks more like that mangy cat from Too Many Cooks

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006594173011.html

looks more like that mangy cat from Too Many Cooks

Oh poo poo, if only they had used Nathen Mazri’s Egeez, for the finest in only officially licensed merchandise!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the cheapo 3d printer has arrived and is printing

seems to work well enough for my needs :shrug:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got some A5 dividers. They're ok, but at least with my A5 pockets, the tabs get lost in between the pockets - I'd prefer them to stick out more from among the pockets, if that makes sense. I mean, instead of "A5, including tab" it'd be "A5 + margin for the tab" (I haven't actually measured that these are "A5, including tab", or if my A5 pockets are just a little wider than A5).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

the cheapo 3d printer has arrived and is printing

seems to work well enough for my needs :shrug:

Explain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Sale starts Monday for those of you waiting with a cart full of junk wonderful treasures.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

We got one of these after pics of it started making the rounds on the 'net. He's great.

We call him "Fargield." :3:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, is a process that creates three-dimensional objects from digital files. It works by adding material layer by layer, allowing for the production of complex shapes with less material waste compared to traditional manufacturing methods.

In essence, it’s like building an object slice by slice, similar to how a printer deposits ink or toner onto paper. The technology has evolved from prototyping to industrial production, and its applications span various fields, including manufacturing, automotive, and healthcare

A good example would be the plastic thing in the op's hand

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Sale starts Monday for those of you waiting with a cart full of junk wonderful treasures.

gently caress ya! I have a telescope zoom eyepiece and filter sitting in my cart. I have to wake up at 3am as that vendor has their own 50% discount in a 2-hour window.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Oh dang, where does it display store discounts? I know some give you extra for following but never seen a short window type before.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Oh dang, where does it display store discounts? I know some give you extra for following but never seen a short window type before.

It depends on the store if they have any or not. SvBony (telescope and binoculars) has it on their home page, but they are a larger business than probably most other vendors. Some others have their own coupons. You can also save "coins" too for a discount from some vendors.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, is a process that creates three-dimensional objects from digital files. It works by adding material layer by layer, allowing for the production of complex shapes with less material waste compared to traditional manufacturing methods.

In essence, it’s like building an object slice by slice, similar to how a printer deposits ink or toner onto paper. The technology has evolved from prototyping to industrial production, and its applications span various fields, including manufacturing, automotive, and healthcare

A good example would be the plastic thing in the op's hand

I meant whats a good AE 3D printer cause I'm too cheap to spring for a good one given my use case

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Does AliExpress think we're idiots? I had some stuff in my shopping cart for a few days, since I saw the anniversary sale was coming up. Now for some products it shows like a 40% discount, but I can clearly see they just increased the original price and the "discounted" price is now the same as the normal one was before the annual sale.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Sioux posted:

Does AliExpress think we're idiots?

Yes.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can only speak for myself but they are entirely right.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sioux posted:

Does AliExpress think we're idiots? I had some stuff in my shopping cart for a few days, since I saw the anniversary sale was coming up. Now for some products it shows like a 40% discount, but I can clearly see they just increased the original price and the "discounted" price is now the same as the normal one was before the annual sale.

It's always cute to see someone's first interaction with "sales"

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’s the same way on every website

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Sioux posted:

Both Ali and Temu play the same game, I don't know which one is worse.

Basically they have multiple listings of the same product, and all listings have slightly different price fluctuations. So they basically take advantage of people who put things in shopping carts. You pretty much have to know what the right price is for a certain product, specially for more popular items. Weird specific replacement parts has less of this problem.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Amazon does the same thing, it ain't just the China sites.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

stephenthinkpad posted:

Both Ali and Temu play the same game, I don't know which one is worse.

Basically they have multiple listings of the same product, and all listings have slightly different price fluctuations. So they basically take advantage of people who put things in shopping carts. You pretty much have to know what the right price is for a certain product, specially for more popular items. Weird specific replacement parts has less of this problem.

Temu is worse. I don't see AliExpress spammers all over Facebook.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the sale is mostly BS. I've had a bunch of crap in my cart for months and saved like 5% overall. It was mostly poo poo I was procrastinating on buying though so whatever, I was going to do it sooner or later anyway.

I really hate the individual emails they send for each seller though. Just consolidate everything into one order notification :argh:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hell, even physical retail does it too. Last few going out of business “sales” I went to they just marked them all up to pretend you’re getting a good deal at 80% off.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just remember Zara does it, it's (was?) practically their entire business model. My wife used to ordered clothes online in insane hours like 2am or 4am in the morning to get the cheapest price.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Obviously you can't look at the percentage or dollar discount amounts because it's almost always calculated off an imaginary MSRP. It's all up to the sellers and it should be no surprise that chinese storefronts are going to do that.

I looked through my recent orders and have noticed a few things that are cheaper now than when I ordered.

BlueRetro cables are a dollar cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804475562445.html

Cheapest I could find this microscope was $28 a few weeks ago. Now $23. It's sold by several retailers so don't necessarily use this link: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805829058053.html

Gamecube modkits are a few bucks cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806050693035.html
Actually it seems like Bitfunx has decent prices on most of their stuff during the sale. Around 10% off usual prices.

NES Everdrive is $2 cheaper than I could find it in December: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804843662470.html
Game Boy everdrive is $1 cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803430349796.html

I would say the best way to get ultra-cheap stuff is to use the "$1.99 choice" promos that's constantly on their homepage. If you add stuff to your wishlist, the algorithm is actually really good at serving you up things you might actually want, including things that are on your wishlist. Usually you have to add 3 things to get free shipping (or sometimes $10 worth of stuff). The last order I placed was this, this, and this. Buying these three things in the anniversary sale would be $19. Buying them all as part of the Choice listings was $8 with free shipping.

This only works for <$10 items though. Anything larger you're better off just watching prices. The sitewide coupon sales they do a few times per year like "$4 off every $20" are good for the more expensive stuff.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

wa27 posted:

I would say the best way to get ultra-cheap stuff is to use the "$1.99 choice" promos that's constantly on their homepage. If you add stuff to your wishlist, the algorithm is actually really good at serving you up things you might actually want, including things that are on your wishlist. Usually you have to add 3 things to get free shipping (or sometimes $10 worth of stuff). The last order I placed was this, this, and this. Buying these three things in the anniversary sale would be $19. Buying them all as part of the Choice listings was $8 with free shipping.

This thing already 90% looks like a floppy disc, they just need to do the extra mile to make it a floppy

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I was able to get the telescope eyepiece I wanted this morning for just over $71 with tax that's normally priced at $149.

$149 pre-sale price minus...

$125 sale price
$1 store coupon
$50 early bird discount (vendor's discount in the 1st two hours of the sale)
$5.00 AliExpress code
almost $4 in coins.

It's a win to me. Just gotta play the game.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

Hell, even physical retail does it too. Last few going out of business “sales” I went to they just marked them all up to pretend you’re getting a good deal at 80% off.
Pretty sure that's illegal in the EU and stores seem to be pretty good about that. The supermarket I was in yesterday showed the lowest price in the last 30 days in addition to the current one, so you can tell how much of a sale it really is.

Aliexpress does have occasional legit sales but you have to "do your own research"

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

slave to my cravings posted:

It’s the same way on every website

It's not -- you're just buying from crooks. In many jurisdictions, including the EU, this practice is illegal. So, buying from a regional seller protects me from this bullshit. Pester your representatives to make that happen in your jurisdiction, too.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just remember Zara does it, it's (was?) practically their entire business model. My wife used to ordered clothes online in insane hours like 2am or 4am in the morning to get the cheapest price.

Case in point, Zara is in business in the EU too, but they don't get up to these shenanigans here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sioux posted:

Does AliExpress think we're idiots?

Yes, and that's why literally nothing has been cheaper on the Ali Express than in a real shop wherever you are for years now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's not -- you're just buying from crooks. In many jurisdictions, including the EU, this practice is illegal. So, buying from a regional seller protects me from this bullshit. Pester your representatives to make that happen in your jurisdiction, too.

Which part is illegal? listing false original price? Can't vendor still fluctuate 20%+- randomly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which part is illegal? listing false original price? Can't vendor still fluctuate 20%+- randomly?

You can't advertise something as a sale if it's not a reduced from the normal price. And the seller doesn't get to decide what the normal price is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

codo27 posted:

I meant whats a good AE 3D printer cause I'm too cheap to spring for a good one given my use case

do u live near a microcenter?

if you do, go get this - https://www.microcenter.com/product/669326/creality-ender-3-v3-se-3d-printer