Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ah, chemtrails! I knew that's what it was! I shall write my congressman directly about this concerning situation!

More seriously, this has happened exactly twice now, with a reproducable solution. I was rather just hoping to gather extra data from anyone who had experienced similar, maybe from getting a big hit of exhaust stuck in their helmet or something. Whatevs.

Are you wearing a tight shirt? Might be that your shirt collar is too tight and cutting off blood flow to your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

There is nothing better than a blaze+ride.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who has done this. :lsd::hf::okpos:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

There is nothing better than a blaze+ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezWkq36dfLY

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Before they got known as a tough guy criminal gang, Hells Angels was pretty much the "drop acid and ride" club :mrwhite:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is there some free pass for weed or do you think drinking and riding is ok too?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Road beer while wheelieing best life

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That seems really, really unlikely to be wheel-related - that would manifest itself as vibration and uneven tyre wear. IN fact I can't think of any mechanism that would cause the wheels to have that effect, and I'm seconding checking your head bearings really, really carefully.

It also seems like the sort of thing that should stop you riding the bike at all until you've worked out exactly what's wrong.

(Quick question though - is this your first bike?)

Had the local shop take a look at it, head bearing is fine and they said it looks pretty much new/fine.

Found the problem in like 2 seconds. When I ran the clutch/throttle cables towards the end of last season they would up getting pinched between the electrical and the fuel tank. Rerouted them and all is well.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think the cables would have that much of an effect on things.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Razzled posted:

Road beer while wheelieing best life

I have a Shoei 2-Pak, which is a full-face helmet with twin beercans gimbal-mounted on the side (and a GoPro mount obv) with interior-routed straws. Just pop a couple of aircooled Revolutions up in that helmet and off I go into a tree

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ola posted:

Why do you think there's a cup holder on my bike?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Vertigo (inner ear problems), blood sugar, blood pressure, medication/supplement side effect, dehydration, plain exhaustion, claustrophobia, or some combination of all that.

Hypo- or hyper-ventilation can both cause those sort of feelings, too. While not quite as extreme as that, I used to occasionally have vertigo-like effects in the winter when in traffic because i breathe too shallow in an attempt to stop my visor misting. Pinlock sorted that out for me. (Panic attacks also can cause those sort of symptoms, through a combination of all of the above too)

It's very, very very unlikely to be CO poisoning for lots and lots of reasons, not least because any vehicle putting out enough CO to cause symptoms to manifest in open air is never ever going to be running, and a CO concentration high enough to cause symptoms in such a short time period is also likely to kill you and anything else with lungs in the area pretty quickly too.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Had the local shop take a look at it, head bearing is fine and they said it looks pretty much new/fine.

Found the problem in like 2 seconds. When I ran the clutch/throttle cables towards the end of last season they would up getting pinched between the electrical and the fuel tank. Rerouted them and all is well.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think the cables would have that much of an effect on things.

NP, but it was Collateral Damage who actually diagnosed it right...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What do people see in large displacement (e.g. 1200cc) engines? Why is a bigger engine supposedly "better" in some people's minds? I really can't figure it out unless it's just the american "big truck" mentality, but I'm trying to figure out what else is there.

I ride a Vulcan 500 and it takes me, a passenger, and a bunch of camping stuff to 80 mph no problem, with great highway gas mileage and performance. I also have all the acceleration I could ever want considering it's not a sport bike.

Last year I rented a Harley Fat Boy in Florida (they only had Harleys), which has a 1200cc engine. It didn't perform better than my own bike in any way that I could figure out. It accelerated very similarly to my bike, it had the same top speed as my bike, it actually took turns slightly worse than my bike. Overall I thought it was a nice ride, but no nicer than my way cheaper, way more efficient 500cc cruiser. What do people want 1200ccs for? Are they going to tow a boat?

I don't mean to offend anyone who has/likes large-displacement bikes, I'm really honestly wondering what drives people to want large-displacement and call my 500 cc cruiser a little girly bike (I know nobody itt would, but people do).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Hmmm giant blubbery Harley feels gutless? Story doesn't add up IMO.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know right?

I've never been interested in harleys or large engines, and I've always assumed it's dumb, I guess I just want someone to play devil's advocate and tell me why large-displacement engines might be good, to some people.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

alnilam posted:

What do people see in large displacement (e.g. 1200cc) engines? Why is a bigger engine supposedly "better" in some people's minds? I really can't figure it out unless it's just the american "big truck" mentality, but I'm trying to figure out what else is there.

I ride a Vulcan 500 and it takes me, a passenger, and a bunch of camping stuff to 80 mph no problem, with great highway gas mileage and performance. I also have all the acceleration I could ever want considering it's not a sport bike.

Last year I rented a Harley Fat Boy in Florida (they only had Harleys), which has a 1200cc engine. It didn't perform better than my own bike in any way that I could figure out. It accelerated very similarly to my bike, it had the same top speed as my bike, it actually took turns slightly worse than my bike. Overall I thought it was a nice ride, but no nicer than my way cheaper, way more efficient 500cc cruiser. What do people want 1200ccs for? Are they going to tow a boat?

I don't mean to offend anyone who has/likes large-displacement bikes, I'm really honestly wondering what drives people to want large-displacement and call my 500 cc cruiser a little girly bike (I know nobody itt would, but people do).

faster is better mr. bitch bike

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I love my 1203ccs. I don't ride it for vanilla transport so I figure go big or go home. I like the bike's 500 lb crank, and you can't spin a 500 lb crank with 500cc.

That Harley was probably more like 1500-1600cc. It's more of a packaging/marketing thing really. People want the metal and chrome and pushrods and potato and want to run it at 100rpm all the time. You can't get a 500cc potato bike. Marketing wins.

People worry way too much about displacement though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So a very weird question, not mechanical. This morning I was riding to work on the highway, no other traffic around except one semi a quarter mile in front of me, and I started to feel really weird. Like, sort of light headed, but mostly like I had all of a sudden grown "too big" for my bike, like the handlebars were too close together, I was perched on the seat hovering a mile above it, no contact with the road, etc. I pulled over after a few miles, shut everything down, took my helmet off, and was fine in a few minutes, and finished the rest of my commute to work, getting slippery in the sand and dodging cows and everything, no problem.

The same thing happened last summer when I rode through a big cloud of some kind of steam that was part of some road construction going on. Same thing worked to make it better, too - pull over, chill for a bit, get going again.

The best thing I can figure is that it was some sort of carbon monoxide getting trapped in my helmet. Anything like this ever happen to anyone else?

Way out suggestion here:

Are you taking any meds that can gently caress with your BP?

It kinda sounds like what happens to me when I am about to have a panic attack due to claustrophobia. Not saying its that, but sudden changes in BP can cause tunnelvision and associated phenomena. If you have blood issues like anemia it can happen very easily.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

I think drinking and riding generally sorts itself out, eventually. :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

alnilam posted:

I know right?

I've never been interested in harleys or large engines, and I've always assumed it's dumb, I guess I just want someone to play devil's advocate and tell me why large-displacement engines might be good, to some people.

What I see in large engines is being able to roll-on throttle power wheelie in second gear. Harleys (or pretty much any conventional cruiser) are really not representative of the qualities 'large' engines bring to the table, like gigantic wheelies and not having to change gear constantly and other cool stuff. You should try riding a large 4 cylinder like a bandit 1200 or similar, then you'll understand. In fact, just try riding any 4 cylinder then imagine the same experience scaled up for retarded displacement.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

alnilam posted:

I hope you're not talking poo poo about the VMAX because I won't stand for it.

I just won't stand for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nitrogen posted:

Way out suggestion here:

Are you taking any meds that can gently caress with your BP?

It kinda sounds like what happens to me when I am about to have a panic attack due to claustrophobia. Not saying its that, but sudden changes in BP can cause tunnelvision and associated phenomena. If you have blood issues like anemia it can happen very easily.

Nothing that I don't take every day, and my blood pressure never gets weird. I ride every day, and this has literally happened only twice in a year, so I don't think it's that.

Anyway I posted about it in TGD so forget about it here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A 1200cc Harley isn't a performance bike. A sportster makes like 85hp or something silly like that with like 80 foot pounds of torque, while weighing somewhere in the range of 550 pounds.

A 1290 puts out like 165hp and 95 foot pounds of torque and weighs 440 pounds. It's a very different experience.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My buddy has a 1200 sportster and I get it. It's not my style at all, but it's basically a muscle car. It just shoves you down the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I hope you're not talking poo poo about the VMAX because I won't stand for it.

I just won't stand for it.

If there's one thing I can't abide it's people talking poo poo about the VMAX.

Can you abide it? I can't abide it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What ramp should I be looking at on a budget to get a bike into the back of a 4x4 full size? Bed height is 36" - roughly the same as my belly button. I'm traveling 2000mi round trip next month for a trackday and don't want to pull a trailer through California.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My 8' ramp is barely long enough for a full size truck and 2 people. I'd go with 10'.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049IACSO/
What about this?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What do you guys recommend for bike covers? My DRZ isn't big but the high rear view mirrors raise the cover up considerably. Half of my front and back wheels are exposed and it irks me to no end because I'm a dork and don't want my blue anodized wheels to fade

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've always used a 2x8 (maybe bigger) with an aluminum angled piece at one end. The one my dad used to have used an old brake rotor that was bent to the desired angle.

Edit: Something like this

Deeters fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 29, 2015

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

It's a very different experience.

...IN YO WALLIT. :shepspends:

Having ridden a bike similar to the OP's and a 1200 XLC (and trying to remain objective) I can offer some insight.

First, my canned rant on the outside chance there's a fresh audience: the Sportster was never..never..ever...ever meant or equipped to play the role of a cruiser as we know it today. Two up on a Sporty is the worst day you'll ever have on a motorcycle. It was and remains a roadster/standard that was HD's answer to the Bonneville. It is, I believe, the best British bike ever built. You understand what Triumph/BSA/Norton were aiming for without the attendant lovely workmanship, ballpark tolerances, and failure prone electronics.* One can argue all day about whether this is a noble goal, but the marketplace has sustained it for nearly six uninterrupted decades. If it weren't, no one would attempt to copy it, improve upon it, or resurrect the British originals. All three have happened over and over again. Footnotes mostly, except for the Hinckley and Thai Bonnies. And (I hope) the Indian Scout, which is even more retrograde, but with superior specs. I sincerely hope it gets the market share it deserves and we're not witnessing another Gilroy.

On the day I moved from a VLX to the Sportster, I wrote that is was something like having your sadistic older brother pushing you on a swingset. What you see is an opportunity to reach peak altitude with no effort and maybe jump out. What he sees is an opportunity to try for two complete revolutions. It's substantial. It holds the road. It's not fast, but it's fast enough. It's good for a ticket a season. If you need more than that, there are options. The Vulcan , VLX, and similar midrange offerings will absolutely hang with larger displacement bikes on the superslab, but they'll be balls out and wheezing all the livelong day. It's a more fatiguing experience.

So the Duke...well, I used to have this rule: if a bike no longer scared you, it was time to move on to something else. The Duke would never stop scaring me, and if it did, there'd be nothing to move on to. I can't even loving imagine...

*Please ignore the AMF years, where this argument falls apart. Unless it was a secret attempt to be more true to the original.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The amazing thing about the SuperDuke is actually how mundane it is. It's a very mild mannered bike that I would say anyone who's past the raw beginner stage could ride. I turned a friend loose on it, she's got around 5k miles of total experience on a Buell Lightning and she was just peachy keen on it.

Of course, that's if you leave the electronic chains firmly looped around the neck and legs of the beast. I turn off the electronics, sometimes, and every time I do I'm reminded that we live in a golden age of motorcycles without par. The future is here but for a short moment we have both worlds before the it's all digital forever. It's the last of the V twin interceptors, if you want it to be, but it's also the first of a new breed as well.

I was honestly concerned I'd be bored with the bike by now, dreaming of the next toy with more power and more trinkets. Everyone here knows my history with bikes, but this one...this one is special.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, so what I'm getting is larger displacement bikes can be really powerful and fun, but I happened to ride one that was pretty whatever?

Anyway I'm still very happy on my 500 cc bitch bike so fuckit, but I'm glad y'all have fun on better 1200ccs :)

Marv Hushman posted:

...IN YO WALLIT. :shepspends:

Having ridden a bike similar to the OP's and a 1200 XLC (and trying to remain objective) I can offer some insight.

First, my canned rant on the outside chance there's a fresh audience: the Sportster was never..never..ever...ever meant or equipped to play the role of a cruiser as we know it today. Two up on a Sporty is the worst day you'll ever have on a motorcycle. It was and remains a roadster/standard that was HD's answer to the Bonneville. It is, I believe, the best British bike ever built. You understand what Triumph/BSA/Norton were aiming for without the attendant lovely workmanship, ballpark tolerances, and failure prone electronics.* One can argue all day about whether this is a noble goal, but the marketplace has sustained it for nearly six uninterrupted decades. If it weren't, no one would attempt to copy it, improve upon it, or resurrect the British originals. All three have happened over and over again. Footnotes mostly, except for the Hinckley and Thai Bonnies. And (I hope) the Indian Scout, which is even more retrograde, but with superior specs. I sincerely hope it gets the market share it deserves and we're not witnessing another Gilroy.

On the day I moved from a VLX to the Sportster, I wrote that is was something like having your sadistic older brother pushing you on a swingset. What you see is an opportunity to reach peak altitude with no effort and maybe jump out. What he sees is an opportunity to try for two complete revolutions. It's substantial. It holds the road. It's not fast, but it's fast enough. It's good for a ticket a season. If you need more than that, there are options. The Vulcan , VLX, and similar midrange offerings will absolutely hang with larger displacement bikes on the superslab, but they'll be balls out and wheezing all the livelong day. It's a more fatiguing experience.

So the Duke...well, I used to have this rule: if a bike no longer scared you, it was time to move on to something else. The Duke would never stop scaring me, and if it did, there'd be nothing to move on to. I can't even loving imagine...

*Please ignore the AMF years, where this argument falls apart. Unless it was a secret attempt to be more true to the original.

I really don't understand this post though :confused:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

alnilam posted:

Okay, so what I'm getting is larger displacement bikes can be really powerful and fun, but I happened to ride one that was pretty whatever?

Anyway I'm still very happy on my 500 cc bitch bike so fuckit, but I'm glad y'all have fun on better 1200ccs :)

I really don't understand this post though :confused:

tl;dr: cc != performance.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

They are different things, can't you think one is okay without thinking another is? Depends on the person but pot can be less of a hindrance to riding than cold medicine, so long as your balance is alright with it. Contrasted to that, if I ride to a social gathering I'll have 1 drink and leave a few hours after it, maybe 2 if I'm going to be hanging around for a while, but with enough time in between that it's having less of an effect on me than something that is on my mind that day. I'm okay with that.

I'm not saying to rip some dabs and wheelie into the sunset but there is a middle ground between that and 'don't ride till the next day after smoking'.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

alnilam posted:

Because you can do 80 at 4-5k rpm on a bike that revs to somewhere around 10-13.

Also power wheelies I guess.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 29, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because carrying a power wheelie while leaned over coming out of a corner is easier on a liter bike :v:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Because carrying a power wheelie while leaned over coming out of a corner is easier on a liter bike :v:

:byob1:

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Experienced something that has me scratching my head today.

'96 CBR600. Twice now it's done this thing where the engine feels like it's losing power in the same way it would if I was just on the cusp of running out of fuel, sort of an erratic hesitation under light acceleration. At the same time the speedo drops to 0 and doesn't move. After a few seconds of this it goes away and the speedo pops back up where it should be. Tach is unaffected and I haven't noticed any other gauge or light weirdness. Just the speedo. Bike doesn't die, either. Just sort of stumbles a bit.

It's done this twice now in two days, once per trip out on the bike. The rest of the time it's completely fine.

I've got some regular maintenance to do on it today so I'll be digging around and looking for anything obvious (electrical connections mostly) but if anyone has suggestions as to what might cause this I'm all ears.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How old's your battery?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

M42 posted:

How old's your battery?

6 months, replaced it when I bought the bike. And the r/r was replaced with an aftermarket unit by PO after that went out on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

dreggory posted:

Experienced something that has me scratching my head today.

'96 CBR600. Twice now it's done this thing where the engine feels like it's losing power in the same way it would if I was just on the cusp of running out of fuel, sort of an erratic hesitation under light acceleration. At the same time the speedo drops to 0 and doesn't move. After a few seconds of this it goes away and the speedo pops back up where it should be. Tach is unaffected and I haven't noticed any other gauge or light weirdness. Just the speedo. Bike doesn't die, either. Just sort of stumbles a bit.

It's done this twice now in two days, once per trip out on the bike. The rest of the time it's completely fine.

I've got some regular maintenance to do on it today so I'll be digging around and looking for anything obvious (electrical connections mostly) but if anyone has suggestions as to what might cause this I'm all ears.

That happened like two years ago, too. I replaced the speed sensor and the problem went away. If it's the speed sensor again, maybe something else is causing them to fail. It was pretty easy to swap out, but I'm confused as to why it would fail again so soon.

Edit: so people aren't confused, I'm the PO.

It had a power commander on it when I got it, and my theory on this issue was that the lack of a speed reading was throwing that out of whack. Problem never happened after I swapped that sensor.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 29, 2015