Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

If that was the quality of Fry I was getting I'd be putting sauce on it too. Them's some sad fries.

those are the best fries in amsterdam and possibly the world, theyre really good and theres always a queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

If that was the quality of Fry I was getting I'd be putting sauce on it too. Them's some sad fries.

Those chips look great, actually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

those are the best fries in amsterdam and possibly the world, theyre really good and theres always a queue
Are they Truly? They look like BK fries to me which are pretty dire.

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s just a weird bit. They were told how to make ketchup and told about natural/sugarless ketchups you can order online the last time ketchup chat happened.

I think you're getting someone else confused with me, I can say I'm fully aware of how to make ketchup, I just don't like it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Manager Hoyden posted:

Nope, Heinz "no sugar added" has sucralose in it. It's a weasel term, kind of like how store-bought orange juice is sweetened out the rear end.

Just import Felix brand ketchup from Sweden, their unsweetened ketchup is unsweetened, not "no added sugar".

Or just move to Sweden in general: it is illegal to sell sweetened "juice" here. If you call it juice, it gotta be all fruit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I think you're getting someone else confused with me, I can say I'm fully aware of how to make ketchup, I just don't like it.

Oh my bad. You’re right.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

https://vleminckxdesausmeester.nl/en/

they're popular with tourists but i went to university near this place so id often get one too, there's probably a few places in belgium and maybe one or two in the netherlands that are better than vleminckx but a lot of them are gimmicky skin-on truffle fries and things like that, this style is best and plain mayo is the best fries condiment

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

https://vleminckxdesausmeester.nl/en/

they're popular with tourists but i went to university near this place so id often get one too, there's probably a few places in belgium and maybe one or two in the netherlands that are better than vleminckx but a lot of them are gimmicky skin-on truffle fries and things like that, this style is best and plain mayo is the best fries condiment

Sick, man. If I ever wrangle up the cash to get to Europe I'll check it out. May I ask what in the gently caress is Samurai sauce?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Sick, man. If I ever wrangle up the cash to get to Europe I'll check it out. May I ask what in the gently caress is Samurai sauce?

Mayonnaise, sambal oelek, and lemon usually but the sauce at Vleminckx has mace and caraway in it as well. Knoflook (toum) is better.

Also that place is the only thing I actively remember about my trip to Amsterdam anymore. It's really really really good.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Mar 5, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

But if you go to Germany, there are two Hesburgers there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phosphine posted:

Just import Felix brand ketchup from Sweden, their unsweetened ketchup is unsweetened, not "no added sugar".

Or just move to Sweden in general: it is illegal to sell sweetened "juice" here. If you call it juice, it gotta be all fruit.

They don't need to import either of those things from loving Sweden, they can get them in the US. Also, you realize that's true in most countries, even the loving US, right? That's why people joke about things like "processed pasteurized cheese product"? Please don't contribute to Extremely Online Americans doing that reverse american exceptionalism thing where (despite them never having been to any other country) the US must be the singularly worst place to ever exist right down to the supermarket brands.

PHUO: I'm listening to Wolf 359 right now and call me a robo-racist but no matter how many times the good guys pointedly refer to the station AI as "people" and "a member of this crew" I'll never believe that poo poo. It's not a person, it's a robot custom designed to run a space station. It'd be criminal to ever design AIs so that they are capable of resenting their functions, but in a universe where those exist it would in fact be a mercy to change them to do their jobs willingly and without feeling. Which is another thing, I'm supposed to agree with the robot that people tinkering with her hardware is this huge violation of it when in fact, again, it's a mercy and a thing we presumably built the robot to be capable of. It's also played for drama that leaving the space station means the good guys will have to "leave their crewmate behind" when again, uh, didn't they plan on doing that the whole time before the show started? It's literally a part of the space station. This is all especially egregious because it's set in loving space. Having the AI that runs things like life support being a feisty opinionated child that holds grudges and lies and poo poo is, as the bad guys say, a massive liability that absolutely should be corrected by any and all means at the first opportunity. I don't give a gently caress about the robot's personal space.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: I'm listening to Wolf 359 right now and call me a robo-racist but no matter how many times the good guys pointedly refer to the station AI as "people" and "a member of this crew" I'll never believe that poo poo. It's not a person, it's a robot custom designed to run a space station. It'd be criminal to ever design AIs so that they are capable of resenting their functions, but in a universe where those exist it would in fact be a mercy to change them to do their jobs willingly and without feeling. Which is another thing, I'm supposed to agree with the robot that people tinkering with her hardware is this huge violation of it when in fact, again, it's a mercy and a thing we presumably built the robot to be capable of. It's also played for drama that leaving the space station means the good guys will have to "leave their crewmate behind" when again, uh, didn't they plan on doing that the whole time before the show started? It's literally a part of the space station. This is all especially egregious because it's set in loving space. Having the AI that runs things like life support being a feisty opinionated child that holds grudges and lies and poo poo is, as the bad guys say, a massive liability that absolutely should be corrected by any and all means at the first opportunity. I don't give a gently caress about the robot's personal space.

I thought you said to call you a turbo-racist and you were talking about a black guy named AL and whew. Let me tell you what. That was a wild ride. Got real confused in the middle and just decided AL was a black cyborg.

I don't even like podcasts but now I have to listen to that one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fizzymercury posted:

I don't even like podcasts

The gently caress?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I know, but for the most part I don't listen to people just talking except for the news. I can't do stuff and pay attention to them and I don't like sitting still and just listening to stuff usually.

I read the transcripts though. That's fun for me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed. Even sentient AI would still be a tool that we developed for a specific job and changing/erasing/whatever it would be the same as reinstalling a glitchy app on a phone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hawowanlawow posted:

or 8-track, like this classic I listened to about a million times as a kid

A1 Bobby Pickett– Monster Mash
A2 Sheb Wooley– Purple People Eater
A3 Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs– Wooly Bully
A4 Johnny Preston– Running Bear
A5 The Playmates– Beep Beep
B1 Johnny Horton– Battle Of New Orleans
B2 The Coasters– Charlie Brown
B3 Lou Monte– Pepino The Italian Mouse
B4 Jimmy Dean– Big Bad John
B5 The Coasters– Yakety Yak
C1 Hollywood Argyles– Alley Oop
C2 Lonnie Donegan– Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor
C3 Nervous Norvus– Transfusion
C4 Larry Verne– Mr. Custer
C5 The Olympics– Western Movies
D1 The Big Bopper*– Chantilly Lace
D2 Pickett* And Ferrara*– King Kong (Your Song)
D3 Allan Sherman– Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh!
D4 Ray Stevens– Ahab, The Arab
D5 Rolf Harris– Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport

Other than the grossness factor of Rolf Harris, this rips.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lol I still can't understand anyone's aversion to pet rats. Except maybe the giant balls they are in fact pretty unsettling but it's not like they are scary. Just giant in a way that isn't great.

I love pet rats. They're like little cats with hands. The only ones I've ever met were sweet and cuddly. :3:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All robots are property, but that doesn't mean they can't be people too. I mean, all people are already property of The State.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pet rats are adorable. I'd get one (or two) but they don't live very long. :smith:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They don't need to import either of those things from loving Sweden, they can get them in the US. Also, you realize that's true in most countries, even the loving US, right? That's why people joke about things like "processed pasteurized cheese product"? Please don't contribute to Extremely Online Americans doing that reverse american exceptionalism thing where (despite them never having been to any other country) the US must be the singularly worst place to ever exist right down to the supermarket brands.

I don't know if the US is exceptional in this regard but most of the juice you buy in the store is sweetened, flavored, and colored even if it says 100% juice on the bottle. They have several ingredients added but due to labeling law loopholes they don't need to be listed. This is because the sweetener, dye, thickener, etc. they use is derived completely from the fruit.

And no I cannot buy ketchup that is unsweetened. The closest I've ever gotten is stupid raw diet gimmick ketchup that was still sweetened with balsamic vinegar. I also get pissy about not being able to find sriracha with the huy fong flavor profile that is not sweet but I have to settle for putting sambal through the blender like an idiot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't believe they put vinegar in your ketchup

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't believe they put vinegar in your ketchup

Balsamic vinegar is fermented grape syrup, or wine vinegar mixed with grape syrup. That's why it's sweet.

I feel very strongly about this and will continue posting until everyone agrees with me.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Balsamic vinegar is fermented grape syrup, or wine vinegar mixed with grape syrup. That's why it's sweet.

I feel very strongly about this and will continue posting until everyone agrees with me.

I'm pretty sure you will never find what you want in store. You have to make your own. You're right. It doesn't exist what you're asking for. I get it. I want the same thing.

I'm really sorry. It does actually suck not to get what you want when it should be easy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vinegar is all fermented sugar and tomatoes are literally just sugar, so OP definitely doesn't like tomato ketchup.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Madonna help me I cannot exist one more day without my bitter bitter ketchup

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah that's why I said it doesn't exist. He has to make up his fairy magic savory ketchup himself because who is eating that? Me, it sounds nice, but I'm broken.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Madonna help me I cannot exist one more day without my bitter bitter ketchup
Speaking of, I think worchestershire sauce is the ideal french fry topper. I settle for a 50/50 mix with A1 steaksauce. Manager Hoyden you should try that out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just dye mustard red at this point.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

Mayonnaise, sambal oelek, and lemon usually but the sauce at Vleminckx has mace and caraway in it as well. Knoflook (toum) is better.

Also that place is the only thing I actively remember about my trip to Amsterdam anymore. It's really really really good.

yeah im not a huge fan of samurai sauce, i think itd be better on a burger or something. i also dont like satay sauce on fries, peanuts dont belong near fries

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know if the US is exceptional in this regard but most of the juice you buy in the store is sweetened, flavored, and colored even if it says 100% juice on the bottle. They have several ingredients added but due to labeling law loopholes they don't need to be listed. This is because the sweetener, dye, thickener, etc. they use is derived completely from the fruit.

This isn't true.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Guyver posted:

This isn't true.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if some people that post in this thread maybe just live in small, fat, midwestern towns and have never traveled so they just assume nobody can find anything else in their supermarkets or something.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if some people that post in this thread maybe just live in small, fat, midwestern towns and have never traveled so they just assume nobody can find anything else in their supermarkets or something.

What exotic land do you come from where tropicana, minute maid, welch's, ocean spray, and motts aren't the highest selling brands of juice

Guyver posted:

This isn't true.

lol ok

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Prove it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
what's it like living in a town too small and fat to have like even a Whole Foods?

edit: but that ALSO somehow is too large and fat to support a farmer's market????

And has banned juicers.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guyver posted:

Prove it.

I'm not gonna go looking for sources but look up fruit juice processing essence recovery. That's the term for separating out desirable flavors and colors and mixing them to get the juice you want.

If you want news stories about it look up orange juice flavor packet controversy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Woe unto those who live in a land bereft of Simply Orange (a juice brand found in literally every grocery store in the tristate area I live in).

My favorite thing about the ketchup/juice people is that they complain when fruits taste slightly sweet, and blame that on bourgeois American excess.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

Woe unto those who live in a land bereft of Simply Orange (a juice brand found in literally every grocery store in the tristate area I live in).

My favorite thing about the ketchup/juice people is that they complain when fruits taste slightly sweet, and blame that on bourgeois American excess.

The gently caress are you talking about friend

edit: I am in fact the only ketchup person and no one is a juice person

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

The gently caress are you talking about friend

edit: I am in fact the only ketchup person and no one is a juice person

You've been whining about juices that taste a bit sweet as if you've never bitten into an orange in your entire life for like a page now. Also there was another ketchup guy who was completely flabbergasted that tomatoes might taste a little sweet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

You've been whining about juices that taste a bit sweet as if you've never bitten into an orange in your entire life for like a page now. Also there was another ketchup guy who was completely flabbergasted that tomatoes might taste a little sweet.

Well I certainly don't think that's the case

I think your confusion could be blamed on the excesses of the american bourgeoisie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well I certainly don't think that's the case

I think your confusion could be blamed on the excesses of the american bourgeoisie.

:hmmyes:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

This is a misinterpretation of my position wrt ketchup. Which is that it's disgusting and most ketchup sold in the us is loaded with corn syrup. I'm well aware that tomatoes have sugar, and also aware that even homemade ketchup is disgusting because why would I be paring a sweet sauce with any savory item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a misinterpretation of my position wrt ketchup. Which is that it's disgusting and most ketchup sold in the us is loaded with corn syrup. I'm well aware that tomatoes have sugar, and also aware that even homemade ketchup is disgusting because why would I be paring a sweet sauce with any savory item.

Because sweet/savory is a very common pairing in literally all types of food one can eat from chicken nuggets to high cuisine.