Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Henchman of Santa posted:

The new God is an Astronaut is out there.

My first impressions are that I like it. It's a little more glitchy and grungy than you would expect from them, although nothing extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't think they're ever going to undergo a major change in sound, but it's good for what it is. Gets a little boring after a while.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If any of you were wondering what was going on with Spaces, I got this e-mail earlier:

quote:

Hi Everyone,

This is Duke from Spaces. I wanted to give you an update on a project that I started with some of the live members of Spaces. My band, Inner Outlaws, released an EP today that is available for free download off our Bandcamp.

I want to personally thank you all for the support and encouragement throughout the years. While Franco and I have diverged paths, we have enjoyed the experience and hope that you will continue to follow our future endeavors.

Inner Outlaw's next show is on Wednesday, Sept 11, 2013 at Paper Box in Brooklyn, NY. For those that are local, come out and introduce yourself. And please share this with everyone you know!

Thanks again,
-Duke

I/O

New York-based psychedelic rock band Inner Outlaws will be releasing their debut EP on August 27 as a free download.

The five-piece recorded their self-titled EP over a three day period in Shelter Island, New York. The album was self-produced, and mixed and mastered by Grammy Award-winning engineer Matt Shane.

The EP is an exploration of disparate musical styles, melded together through the band's singular voice. The songs are meant as a whole work: a journey through the streets of New York City, smoke-filled basements in Brooklyn, and flooding rivers in Wakonda, Oregon.

Inner Outlaws was formed out of the ashes of several groups: New York post-rock outfit Spaces, and the musical collective Tiny Ridge Walkers/The Woods, which featured contributions from artists like MatthewDavid and Nicole Miglis of Hundred Waters.

Inner Outlaw's self-titled EP will be available on the group's Bandcamp page for free download on August 27. Follow Inner Outlaws on Facebook and Twitter to learn more information about the album and upcoming music and video releases.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If any of you were wondering what was going on with Spaces, I got this e-mail earlier:
Just came here to post the same thing. The new stuff isn't quite like Spaces, but I do like it. Not really post-rock, mind. Bandcamp: http://inneroutlaws.bandcamp.com/album/inner-outlaws

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Caspian posted:

Dear Friends,

We write to you today with heavy hearts and indescribable sadness to tell you that our bass player, Chris Friedrich, died unexpectedly Sunday afternoon. We have lost a close friend, a true brother, and a presence that can never be replaced in any of our lives. Chris epitomized the heart and soul of Caspian, and in our own ways -- both individually and collectively -- dedicate ourselves to honoring his memory. We ask for privacy. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
We will be paying tribute this Saturday (8/31) to Chris by performing at The Engine Room in Manchester, NH. This is a benefit show for a friend of Chris's who is seeking funding for a lung transplant. Chris was instrumental in putting this show together, and is the only way we know how to honor his memory at this time. You can find more information in our events section for this performance.
We love you all so very much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh no :smith: That really sucks. All the guys from Caspian are really nice dudes. Gonna go listen to Waking Season front to back in memory of him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm listening to the new God Is An Astronaut album now, and meh. Spiral Code raised my expectations too high before the album even came out, I think. It's one of the most interesting tracks on this whole thing. Kinda has that 65daysofstatic feel to it. Almost the entire rest of the album is Yet Another God Is An Astronaut album, which is kinda getting old for me. Don't get me wrong, they've made a ton of tracks that I like. But it just seems like they're making the same kind of songs album after album and not expanding all that much.

I did like the inclusion of vocals on some of the songs on this one. They've always had vocoded vocals in some of their stuff, but they were more like another instrument than anything. There were no real lyrics. On this one, they're kinda taking the Mogwai approach to vocals, and it works well enough in the songs they're in. And I reeeally dig Calistoga, especially that post-metal-ish intro. But aside from that stuff, I feel like I could never hear this album again and be perfectly okay with that. Out of 12 songs on here, there's like 2 or 3 that I'd like to hear again in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZFrOkcSgc

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 29, 2013

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I agree with you Rageaholic Monkey, I listened to the album and while it's not bad, it's not very memorable to me either.

I didn't care for Age of the Fifth Sun, but I love Far From Refuge. I have no idea why I have never listened to their self-titled though, in fact I totally forgot it existed up until a few days ago when I was looking at their discography. I need to check it out, as well as revisiting their first album which didn't hook me when I first listened to it but maybe that will change.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Everyone knows the best God Is An Astronaut song is First Day Of Sun :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

Everyone knows the best God Is An Astronaut song is First Day Of Sun :colbert:
I have a lot of favorite God Is An Astronaut songs (to name a few: Far From Refuge, Tempus Horizon, Fragile, Fire Flies & Empty Skies, The End Of The Beginning, Lost Symphony, Remembrance, Zodiac and Shining Through), but First Day Of Sun is not one of them :colbert:

It's not a bad song, I just don't think it's one of their best.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Darkfall/Tempus Horizon/Lateral Noise is next best

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

e: not sure how that happened

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh also: Sigur Ros is playing the Roundhouse in London today (9/2) and the show will be streamed live. I think it's streaming through iTunes only?

The times are as follows:
London - 9pm
NYC - 4pm
San Fran - 1pm
Berlin - 10pm

I'm in Central Time, so I'm guessing it'll come on at 3pm for me.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Stream is up, probably a few more minutes before they start playing. I get to see them in Michigan in less than two weeks so this should be a great preview.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For some reason this stupid popout window they're using keeps resizing itself on me. I need to watch this fullscreen, I guess.

Both the audio and video are great, though!

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
The venue looks great too, really wish I was there. Not that I'm complaining, but are they just playing songs off Kveikur?

E: guess not, here comes Festival :)

Zochness fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 2, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When Jonsi holds that note in Festival for like a solid 30 seconds or more....Jesus. He did that when I saw them live in April, too, and it gave me the chills like nothing I've ever experienced before.

He doesn't even hold it that long on the album version, IIRC!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The iTunes Festival stream almost makes up for the fact I couldn't make the Sigur Rós show here a couple months ago. Almost.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Svefn G Englar! :neckbeard:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mannnn, Untitled 8 is such a goddamn amazing song and the most perfect closer to a set in existence. They closed with that when I saw them a few months ago, too, and it was incredible.

I'm seeing them again next month and I can't wait. This got me even more hyped up to see that show.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I wanted to see them last year but they only played a festival set in my city :saddowns: I will just have to watch the stream later, I don't have the internet for it at the moment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So how was Arctangent?

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Junkenstein posted:

So how was Arctangent?
I'm still recovering, absolutely amazing festival. One of the biggest 'problems' I have is that by the end of it I was suffering from great band fatigue, I saw so much great music that the other good bands I saw didn't really grab my interest that much.

Highlights: Finally getting to see You Slut and Talons. 65days on the Friday (really looking forward to the new album now), Maybeshewills fan voted set on the Thursday and ASIWYFA on the Saturday. Never seen a crowd for either of those guys go so wild. Loved where ASIWYFA got one of their friends to play the drums and Chris the drummer got to go crowd surfing (and I got to touch his manly abs (not gay))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afd7_A1gOiU
Unforgettable moment of the festival

Lowlights: Each stage slot started up right after the other stages had finished, could have done with 5 minutes to get from stage to stage so that you didn't miss any of the set. Future Of The Left put on a bit of a disappointing set after I had seen them play a good one at 2000 Trees.

I'm definitely going again next year.

Bagpuss fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 3, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
65daysofstatic and Caspian just announced a co-headlining tour with The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die. I am insanely excited. Makes up for This Town Needs Guns/And So I Watch You From Afar not coming to Cleveland.

November 5th - Cambridge, MA @ The Sinclair
November 8th - Pontiac, MI @ The Pike Room
November 9th - Chicago, IL @ Beat Kitchen
November 11th - Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
November 12th - Salt Lake City, UT @ Bar Deluxe
November 14th - San Francisco, CA @ Bottom of the Hill
November 15th - Los Angeles, CA @ Roxy Theatre
November 16th - San Diego, CA @ Soda Bar
November 17th - Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom
November 19th - Austin, TX @ Red 7
November 20th - Dallas, TX @ Club Dada
November 22nd - Nashville, TN @ The High Watt
November 23rd - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
November 24th - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
November 25th - Washington, DC @ The Rock & Roll Hotel
November 26th - Philadelphia, PA @ First Unitarian Church

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Caspian replacing their bassist then? Surprised they're carrying on so soon after.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was surprised as well. I know they played a show recently raising money for either his family or a charity he was involved with or something.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
They've announced Montreal and Toronto shows for the 6/7 as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What's weird is that the TTNG/ASIWYFA tour was supposed to play the Pike Room on Nov. 8. Maybe it got moved to the Crofoot Ballroom or Eagle Theater.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Junkenstein posted:

So how was Arctangent?

Additionally the festival had good and varied food at reasonable prices, was incredibly well run and holy poo poo 65dos.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Anybody else listen to EF? There new album is streaming at http://efmusicsweden.bandcamp.com/ and it is definitely solid.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don Mega posted:

Anybody else listen to EF? There new album is streaming at http://efmusicsweden.bandcamp.com/ and it is definitely solid.
Yeah, I started listening to it yesterday but got distracted and didn't finish it. What I heard was alright. Not as good as Mourning Golden Morning, though. That album owns so hard. Especially this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFrw9senRf8

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Henchman of Santa posted:

What's weird is that the TTNG/ASIWYFA tour was supposed to play the Pike Room on Nov. 8. Maybe it got moved to the Crofoot Ballroom or Eagle Theater.

Nope, looks like a mini ArcTanGent!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Bliggers- posted:

They've announced Montreal and Toronto shows for the 6/7 as well.

Bought my ticket for the Toronto show, I can not wait for it. I'm glad it's at Lee's Palace, I really like that place and this will be the third post-rock concert I've been to at that venue (first was Maserati and Mono, second was Godspeed You! Black Emperor).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bagpuss posted:

Nope, looks like a mini ArcTanGent!
Wow, that's dope as hell. Sunlight Ascending are a neat little local band. I'll be in Ohio though, so I'll just be seeing 65dos/Caspian/TWIABP.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
^^^ I like Sunlight Ascending. I see they had a new album last year, time to check that out.

One for Apocalypse, more good poo poo from Spain. I'm particularly fond of La anatomia del odio.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 8, 2013

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

I gave Deafheaven another chance and listened to their Roads To Judah album. I can see where the post rock comparisons come from now and the screeching vocals are either less obnoxious here or i'm just getting used to them. Anyways its worth a listen if any of the Sunbather hype caught your attention.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
GY!BE has added a new song to their set for this 2013 tour, I asked their projectionist Karl what it's called and he says it is currently titled "Behemoth." It's a long, long piece. They played it both nights in San Francisco, recordings have been uploaded at http://archive.org/details/gybe2013-09-09 and http://archive.org/details/gybe2013-09-10

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

siig posted:

GY!BE has added a new song to their set for this 2013 tour, I asked their projectionist Karl what it's called and he says it is currently titled "Behemoth." It's a long, long piece. They played it both nights in San Francisco, recordings have been uploaded at http://archive.org/details/gybe2013-09-09 and http://archive.org/details/gybe2013-09-10

They've played Behemoth in 2012 for a couple dates too. It's an awesome track, the beginning movement sort of reminds me of Earth

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new 65dos album Wild Light is out there and I'm really liking it quite a bit so far! I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite thing they've done since One Time For All Time. The Undertow, Blackspots and Sleepwalk City especially feel like real classic 65dos tracks. And Taipei, which is my favorite track on the entire album, sounds like 65 collaborating with Caspian or something legit like that. I like that they seem to use their dancey electronic sound sparingly on this album and that they've struck a nice balance between that sound and the post-rock/math-rock hybrid sound they used to use heavily on this one. I feel like that's what they should've been doing for the past few years instead of making it the big focus.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this my second favorite post-rock album of the year. It's not my top favorite considering I Am Waiting For You Last Summer's Edge Party was released at the beginning of this year, and it's not my favorite 65dos album. But still, it's a really good album and if you're a fan of 65dos (especially older 65dos) or post-rock in general, you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Solid stuff. Really can't wait for that show now.