Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

On another cork-sniffing forum ppl are moaning like hell about the tracking on the Synth9 - honestly it doesn't seem bad at all to me. Obviously the sound is dated but functionally I thought it was glitching, lagging or tracking badly? Am I not seeing the emperor's new clothes?

If you're talking about tgp, EHX isn't expensive enough for them. They need a boutique version at twice the price with half the features and a load of goop to be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hanales posted:

If you're talking about tgp, EHX isn't expensive enough for them. They need a boutique version at twice the price with half the features and a load of goop to be satisfied.

You remember when Bill Finnegan claimed he had magical diodes and then they degooped the board, figured out what the diodes were and it turns out they are just normal $0.08 diodes lol.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

fyodor posted:

You remember when Bill Finnegan claimed he had magical diodes and then they degooped the board, figured out what the diodes were and it turns out they are just normal $0.08 diodes lol.

Oh yes! Were you around for the freekish blues alpha drive?

e: For anyone that didn't know, a relatively unknown boutique maker out of Boston came out with a 200$ drive pedal called the Alpha Drive. It was the sig of some jazz artist and was supposed to be low gain tone nirvana (like every new pedal that is released). Hand made, hand painted, blah blah blah.

Turns out after taking it apart and degooping it, it was a 39$ Joyo pedal with a fancy paint job.

The good that came out of it was people were like "Wow these joyo pedals are cool and cheap".

hanales fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 3, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'll bitterly grump to my dying day that the main reason to use more expensive components is that the more even product from component-to-component transfers over to a more even product from pedal-to-pedal (or amp-to-amp).

Occasionally you get stuff like op-amps being quieter like when I modded my GE-7 so it does the same job with less hiss but mostly what you get is consistency over actual ~*better tone*~

e: And even then this is more of the difference between like a one-penny component and a ten-penny component

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I'll bitterly grump to my dying day that the main reason to use more expensive components is that the more even product from component-to-component transfers over to a more even product from pedal-to-pedal (or amp-to-amp).

Occasionally you get stuff like op-amps being quieter like when I modded my GE-7 so it does the same job with less hiss but mostly what you get is consistency over actual ~*better tone*~

e: And even then this is more of the difference between like a one-penny component and a ten-penny component

Totally agree.

Just don't pretend that 39 cent resistor is worth a 200 dollar upcharge is what I hate. Or pretending your tube screamer that has the keeley mod is somehow a new hot take on overdrives. (Talking about boutique guys, not you obviously).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh yeah absolutely, the actual cost difference of using higher tolerance components is pretty much never gonna be more than a few bucks a pedal, especially for a relatively simple circuit like OD.

e: Maybe a little more if you really felt like preserving margin instead of just covering the extra cost per pedal, I dunno, I don't do that sort of stuff.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
My amp tech quoted me a round 325 to restore my gretsch which I am going to do cause it's a rad amp. Worst case scenario I figure I can flip a full functioning one for around 700 bucks if needed

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Smash it Smash hit posted:

My amp tech quoted me a round 325 to restore my gretsch which I am going to do cause it's a rad amp. Worst case scenario I figure I can flip a full functioning one for around 700 bucks if needed

Is he going to replace the caps and such?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Oops this was suppose to go in amp thread but yeah caps tubes cord etc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

I have two theories about how this happens:

1) Trying to get NOS components so you can say in your product literature NOS COMPONENTS and up the price +$200 drives the price of these components way up.

2) ANY pedal that achieves cult status will send its requisite component prices skyrocketing, particularly if they are scarce (which they usually are).

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
I've been using a lot of JJP plugins. They give you a really nice studio quality sound, and sound good on any type of instrument. That and I recently discovered a nice reverb by Waves called R360 which is really nice, a sort of stereo reverb effect.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The pedalboard lives! Just have to solder a few wires and it'll be good to go.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You're the complete opposite of me in terms of knobs and strings and I respect you for it fully. That's a fun looking setup.

I need to paint and finish my board soon, when I do I'll be sure to post it up.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Thorpe posted:

The pedalboard lives! Just have to solder a few wires and it'll be good to go.

Who made that bass?

I had a similar setup just fretless (and cheaper effects, could never justify diamond/strymon stuff) nice board!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

hanales posted:

Who made that bass?

I had a similar setup just fretless (and cheaper effects, could never justify diamond/strymon stuff) nice board!

It's a Conklin GT-7. Super cheap way to get a decent quality 7 string.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thats a weird looking guitar, also has an extra string

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Smash it Smash hit posted:

thats a weird looking guitar, also has an extra string

Hey man, don't shame my ironing board

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Thorpe posted:

Hey man, don't shame my ironing board

When I started playing sixers in high school my bandmates referred to it as the log.

I've been thinking of picking up one of those cheap chinese 7 strings to defret from ebay.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

What are the differences between fuzz, overdrive, and distortion, as far how they affect your signal? I always though distortion used diode clipping to square the wave while overdrive jacked up the gain to overload the op-amp and clipped it that way.
No idea how fuzz works, and I can't find sources that get into how pedals change the waveform.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dangerous Minority posted:

What are the differences between fuzz, overdrive, and distortion, as far how they affect your signal? I always though distortion used diode clipping to square the wave while overdrive jacked up the gain to overload the op-amp and clipped it that way.
No idea how fuzz works, and I can't find sources that get into how pedals change the waveform.

Overdrive is "soft clipping." That means it uses diode pairs or a transistor to chop the top and bottom of the waveform off giving you a slightly distorted sound. Distortion is "hard clipping." This is accomplished by, again, clipping the input waveform but then sending the other peak directly to ground. This results in a harsher, higher gain sound. Fuzz is just some hosed-up combination of those two things, usually.

Short version: There is a physical difference in the circuit between an overdrive and a distortion pedal. Fuzz is a combination of the overdrive and distortion approaches.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Thanks mate, that's a lot more helpful than most stuff I'm seeing online. I'm trying to get into circuit building and it's a lot easier to work if I know what I'm doing to the signal.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Finally got my pedalboard mostly finished up after a couple months of deciding what I wanted and looking for deals, although the board I went with does have quite a bit more space than I thought so I'm sure I'll find something to add to it later on. But for now, I'm 90% satisfied. I'll probably end up swapping the LBM for a russian muff clone from the dude who made the animato clone whenever he finishes them. I almost went with a digital type delay but really glad I went with the echo puss in the end, makes some really awesome sounds with all the fuzz/distortion choices on the board.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
You can get a lot more space out of that PedalTrain board if you undermount the Joyo power supply. You don't even have to mess with any drills or screws. You can just use 3m Dual Lock (those white plastic fasteners) to hold it in place upside down, and frees you up to put only the fun stuff on top.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My board is done. It's really fun.

Chain is Tuner - B3k - MicroPOG - Wonderlove - You're Doom (in Wonderlove loop) - Bass Clone - Avalanche Run - Cali76 - RC-3

Expression pedals control the Wonderlove and the Av Run.

Board is a Gator, and the power supply is a 1 Spot CS7 mounted underneath.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Stayne Falls posted:

You can get a lot more space out of that PedalTrain board if you undermount the Joyo power supply. You don't even have to mess with any drills or screws. You can just use 3m Dual Lock (those white plastic fasteners) to hold it in place upside down, and frees you up to put only the fun stuff on top.

Good tip. I'll probably do that once I run out of room after a few more things eventually make their way onto the board. I mean, I can't have a bunch of empty space just sitting there.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I've ordered the Empress Reverb. Yes, I'm insane. Now what's a good delay to feed into that? Had and didn't particularly care for the Belle Epoch.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Wengy posted:

I've ordered the Empress Reverb. Yes, I'm insane. Now what's a good delay to feed into that? Had and didn't particularly care for the Belle Epoch.

DD-500 if you're willing to tweak it. New editor will help a lot with that.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

DD-500 if you're willing to tweak it. New editor will help a lot with that.

Based on my Youtube demo binge over the past few days I've concluded that I do indeed prefer digital delays and their nice pristine sound, but the DD500 would be too big for my little board... BUT it's led me to the Strymon DIG which I'm totally gassing for now :(

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A while ago there was a goon selling pedals in SA mart. They designed one where the box had a space theme and had a button called "Chaos" on it. I'm trying to find the thread/pedal but failing. Does anyone remember this and/or has a link?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Chuu posted:

A while ago there was a goon selling pedals in SA mart. They designed one where the box had a space theme and had a button called "Chaos" on it. I'm trying to find the thread/pedal but failing. Does anyone remember this and/or has a link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809091

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Which effects are prime candidates for trying with the battery sagging thing on my voodoo power supply?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fuzz. Any fuzz

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Except for the Fuzz Factory, which has a stab(ility) knob that does exactly that already.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

polynominal-c posted:

Except for the Fuzz Factory, which has a stab(ility) knob that does exactly that already.

Lots of pedals have bias knobs.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Just got a free A/B/Y pedal thanks to a random series of circumstances.

I've never used one before, and I've got two good amps to mess with. What are some recommended uses or stupid bullshit I can do? Already figure using it for a lazy wet/dry setup, but the sheer power of using two amps has me with a bit of option paralysis.

Current pedalboard is EQ - Wah - Compressor - OD - Fuzz - Chorus - Phaser - Reverb - Delay - Looper. Thinking that I could switch things up and split the board, as I have a spare OD and Fuzz to drive the other amps if I need to, but I may be overthinking things.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hedningen posted:

Just got a free A/B/Y pedal thanks to a random series of circumstances.

I've never used one before, and I've got two good amps to mess with. What are some recommended uses or stupid bullshit I can do? Already figure using it for a lazy wet/dry setup, but the sheer power of using two amps has me with a bit of option paralysis.

Current pedalboard is EQ - Wah - Compressor - OD - Fuzz - Chorus - Phaser - Reverb - Delay - Looper. Thinking that I could switch things up and split the board, as I have a spare OD and Fuzz to drive the other amps if I need to, but I may be overthinking things.

Are your chorus or phaser pedals stereo? Those are usually fun sounds to mess with.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

hanales posted:

Are your chorus or phaser pedals stereo? Those are usually fun sounds to mess with.

Unfortunately not. EHX Small Stone and a homebuilt analog chorus that I could try to figure out how to make into a stereo effect via modifications. But yeah, no stereo effects, alas.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hedningen posted:

Unfortunately not. EHX Small Stone and a homebuilt analog chorus that I could try to figure out how to make into a stereo effect via modifications. But yeah, no stereo effects, alas.

Well then it's time to buy some :D

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Stereo effects with two amps are so glorious, you'll never want to go back, and your bandmates will hate dragging around two amps. gently caress em though, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lots of pedals have bias knobs.

Hell, modifying a pedal to add a bias knob isn't particularly difficult if you don't mind a little soldering. Added a simple potentiometer to a modified Hoof clone thing with some other random modifications I can't remember offhand to tweak the sound a bit, and it's been working decently for me.

Also, damnit, now I feel like building a bizarre stereo rig after looking more into stereo pedals. At least the A/B/Y was cheap.

Current experiment was running dirt pedals, splitting, then wacky effects into a Marshall 18W clone and another overdrive into my Orange. Why the gently caress didn't I do this sooner? Running both channels gives a really thick sound, plus I can cut mix to run it so only the delayed notes hits one amp for a cool stereo effect, and I can get a wonderful solid tone that mixes the stuff I like about both amps. Can't wait to actually mic this setup and play terrible stoner doom loudly in a garage next weekend.

More things should have stereo options. This is a whole new level of pissing off my neighbors. At least I'm not in an apartment and actually have a studio-like thing now.

So . . . what are some recommended stereo pedals? Right now, I've been looking into treble boosters and trem for a psychobilly group I've been playing with, but I may have to be dumb and get multiple stereo pedals to run an unholy mix of amps and effects.