Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah I was talking more like, if you were that confident of a specific issue, you could pre-emptively pull the head and replace valves/springs/do the seats and still come out ahead. 30k miles isn't much, and while I can't imagine a life spent well north of 10k RPM is great for the top end, not every 600cc is going to have been tracked or even necessarily ridden that hard.

I'm worried about it with my GSXR to the point that I'm kinda pricing out a used head, new valves, a thinner headgasket, and a cam swap because I've read the Ti valves get brittle in the 30-40k area (bike has 29k now, I bought it with 25k). I don't want a giant mess on my hands again. Might as well pick up some more power along the way because gently caress it. I don't need a 140-145whp 750 but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wouldn't worry about it, plenty of those bikes go 80k miles plus.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, plenty of those bikes go 80k miles plus.

If this turns out like last time you said don't worry about it....... :lol: :)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old rusted Honda stuff? This guy local to me has you covered! :v:

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 28, 2019

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackMK4 posted:

Did that bike involve any zip tie solutions tho?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Zip ties hold the world together.

Jose Pointero posted:

Wondering what y'all think of this one:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4245443451.html

I e-mailed him about it when he first listed it about a month ago, he seemed like a pretty knowledgeable guy. I'm mostly concerned about the price. For the mileage and the maintenance that's been done it seems like it might be worth it though?

There's a reason it's not selling. For that price you could get a newer, more reliable DRZ400S, or a variety of other dual sport options. I'd just wait him out or offer him 2k. Seems like he's done all the work on it but it's a 20 year old dual sport that's just not worth that much.

BlackMK4 posted:

Lightning doesn't strike twice, right? Right? :saddowns:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Jose Pointero posted:

Wondering what y'all think of this one:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4245443451.html

I e-mailed him about it when he first listed it about a month ago, he seemed like a pretty knowledgeable guy. I'm mostly concerned about the price. For the mileage and the maintenance that's been done it seems like it might be worth it though?

Just saw this pop up:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4270668287.html

Little more money but much newer.

E:

Also:

Cheap DRZ-S

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88366

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 7, 2014

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 28, 2019

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at options for the past couple months, reading reviews, sitting on bikes at the local shops, etc and have pretty much narrowed it down to either a DR650 or V-Strom 650 for my next bike...V-Strom being the distant more expensive option obviously. I liked the weight and ergos of the DR650, it seems like a good match for me. Obviously the DRZ400/SM is great too, but I'd like a bit more power and another gear for longer rides.

Anyway, I'm in no rush, if I could negotiate a decent price for that bike I'd go for it but there will always be other bikes on the ol' CL.

Honestly, those are kinda 2 completely different bikes. The DR650 is much lighter, won't handle freeway well, will be better around town or up fireroads, it'll be a massive handful for any singletrack. The WeeStrom will be a handful offroad, but will handle the freeway totally comfortably. What do you want to do?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 28, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Did that bike involve any zip tie solutions tho?

No, the zipties came about because the SV sat for years before I got my hands on it and my friend had lost the battery bolts. :v: I ziptied the terminals and forgot about it. Derp.

Z3n posted:

Lightning doesn't strike twice, right? Right? :saddowns:

I hope not...
:D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ol' Smoky
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4283991797.html

Stretched n slammed Ruckus oh shiiiiiiiit.
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4259671144.html

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 13, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

See, CA, take note: This is what is considered an acceptable "daily-driver". No more, no less.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I'm wondering how you reach the bars while on the seat. Unless Lurch rides that, he probably looks pretty silly.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

While you're working on that, see if you can figure out why it has driver AND passenger pegs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

While you're working on that, see if you can figure out why it has driver AND passenger pegs.

That part is easy.

I was wondering what a human being would look like sitting on it. That's assuming it has any ground clearance left after the suspension gets compressed. If it does I'd recommend putting huge apehangers on it and riding it like a skateboard.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

That part is easy.

I was wondering what a human being would look like sitting on it. That's assuming it has any ground clearance left after the suspension gets compressed. If it does I'd recommend putting huge apehangers on it and riding it like a skateboard.

I'm assuming he stands up in front of the bars like a huge stand-up scooter/segway, and the seat is for a passenger. Why is there a paintball mask on the seat and is that protective gear?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My boss has a 1968 Honda cb350 in REALLY good shape, aside from the fact that it doesn't run. He bought it for $350 in 1985, had a shop clean the carb, add new tires, whatever else to get it in good shape. It didn't get ridden after that. 5 years ago he had it refreshed again, still didn't ride it. It's been sitting for 5 years with gas in the tank. 20+ years with hardly any riding. He says it does try to crank, so the motor isn't siezed, and it's run great every time it's been tuned up. It only has 1,100 miles on it. There are unknown DMV back-fees on the bike - at least 20 years unregistered.

He's willing to give me a good deal on this bike, and I'm trying to come up with a price. I've seen them online from $1,000 to around $3,000. What do you guys think is a decent offer to make on this, knowing about the work it will need and the potential for a huge DMV fee owing?

It's seriously clean - I'll post a photo if I get my hands on one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Uh, about 200 bucks maybe since it turns over.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're in CA, after 20 years it _should_ be out of the system.

I'd say around here, if it's clean and it turns over and the oil isn't sludge, the tank isn't rusted out, and he has some sort of proof of ownership, then 500-800 bucks would be fair. He could easily get more for it for someone looking to do a restore, but that'd be a fair price if you want to turn it into a runner and not into some sort of show bike. To some concours d'elegance dickwad if it's in perfect shape and all stock? 2-3k.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/4286015634.html

Sadly, I have no trust fund available to snatch these up and turn them into s1ck caf3 racerz!111.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh man that's a screaming deal.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

My boss has a 1968 Honda cb350 in REALLY good shape, aside from the fact that it doesn't run. He bought it for $350 in 1985, had a shop clean the carb, add new tires, whatever else to get it in good shape. It didn't get ridden after that. 5 years ago he had it refreshed again, still didn't ride it. It's been sitting for 5 years with gas in the tank. 20+ years with hardly any riding. He says it does try to crank, so the motor isn't siezed, and it's run great every time it's been tuned up. It only has 1,100 miles on it. There are unknown DMV back-fees on the bike - at least 20 years unregistered.

He's willing to give me a good deal on this bike, and I'm trying to come up with a price. I've seen them online from $1,000 to around $3,000. What do you guys think is a decent offer to make on this, knowing about the work it will need and the potential for a huge DMV fee owing?

It's seriously clean - I'll post a photo if I get my hands on one.

Here it is:

It's beautiful. He told me $750, and if the repair shop says it's crap he'll take it back.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's a really nice looking motorcycle.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Offer him 500 and immediately sell that to a hipster or collector for a nice profit. You're a fool if you pass that much easy money up.

E: Dunno about those fees though. Figure that out from the DMV before you plop yourself into $2000 of registration lapses or something crazy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I don't know your work relationship but always be careful doing outside-work deals with your boss.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Offer him 500 and immediately sell that to a hipster or collector for a nice profit. You're a fool if you pass that much easy money up.

E: Dunno about those fees though. Figure that out from the DMV before you plop yourself into $2000 of registration lapses or something crazy.

If I get this it would be for my own use - I took the motorcycle safety class a while back to get my license and I've been looking for a good bike. My 80cc scooter doesn't like going up hills. I'll sell the scooter once it's running and make a little back that way.

The DMV fees are definitely the main concern right now. He just wants it out of his garage, and he's been a great boss for 6 years so I'm fine with $750 as long as the DMV fees are under $500 or so. Apparently it came from Minnesota in 1985 and he doesn't have any papers. I'm a bit nervous to run it through the system.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Are you in Cali? You might have difficulty getting it registered.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

750 is a fine price.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

Are you in Cali? You might have difficulty getting it registered.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

750 is a fine price.

I am in California, San Diego to be precise. Thanks for the link. It looks like it will either be $100 or $650 to register, depending on what they mean by "Date First Operated In California." I'm pretty sure it was never regged here. I'm going to get the VIN and call the DMV, it's too iffy to just guess about :shobon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

I am in California, San Diego to be precise. Thanks for the link. It looks like it will either be $100 or $650 to register, depending on what they mean by "Date First Operated In California." I'm pretty sure it was never regged here. I'm going to get the VIN and call the DMV, it's too iffy to just guess about :shobon:

If it's never been registered in CA, they're going to tell you you need some kind of proof of ownership to register the bike - what classifies as that is going to be the real question. Might be worthwhile going through one of those lien sale/bonded title places. You may also be able to do it via the bond process, I don't recall. Post up when you know what it's going to take!

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Hnasty to the courtesy phone: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4281255349.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...why am I not taking advantage of this trend?

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Hah that's the end goal for my CX500, once I scrape some money together. Let me clarify: I mostly want to flat black it, put on some Daytona bars, then try and sell it for a grand or so to a hipster. I bought it for $600 so I guess that'd be a win? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness this dumb thread has reignited my dumb love for naked Goldwings. Too bad every 'wing round here in CT is either $600 and "needs minor repairs" (after seeing the same thing with my CX, I'll never go there again!) or like 5k for a 90s model. I guess it's a good thing I'm broke these days anyway....

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Am I alone in thinking that some of these cafe customs are actually pretty cool?

I'll show myself out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shelvocke posted:

Am I alone in thinking that some of these cafe customs are actually pretty cool?

I'll show myself out.

Nah, definitely not.

I'd ride it with the biggest poo poo eating grin on my face.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I'll always have a soft spot for cafes. I got into bikes like 10 years ago after watching On Any Sunday and then a few weeks later having a buddy show me pictures of him clearing out his boss' old barn that was FILLED with old 70s bikes, cafe racers, etc.

Now that I ride, I enjoy "cafe" aesthetic more than I'd care to admit. Meaning while I ride my blacked out CX I'll be grinning like an idiot the whole time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
While we're confessing things, I have to admit that I really dislike the look of those old BMW boxer engines with the huge slab-sided "bottom end" in the middle.

Though I would also ride the poo poo out of that bike up there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Cross posting from the sumo thread since this is sort of about a used bike.

What would you guys value a 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada demo bike that has ~1000 miles on it? I'm thinking about trading in or selling my 625SMC and this one came up at the local dealership. I believe Ducati also has a $1500 discount on the the Hyperstrada which puts the MSRP at the same price as the '13 Hypermotard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

While we're confessing things, I have to admit that I really dislike the look of those old BMW boxer engines with the huge slab-sided "bottom end" in the middle.
Oh good, I'm not the only one who thinks those engines look like rear end.