Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I interpreted "dash" to mean Crystal Heart but maybe you mean Mothwing Cloak. If that's the case then yes, keep looking in Crystal Peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

HK is a non-linear game, so there are plenty of ways you could go right now. here are some things you can do if you haven't already:

-pick up a new movement upgrade from the mines
-smash the cracked coffin lid in resting grounds with the ground pound
-head back to the very first room in the game and keep going left
-use a simple key to unlock the manhole cover in city of tears
-beat the mantis lords and check out what they're guarding

First of all, though, you should absolutely go back to the room where you fought the false knight and look for something you can hit with the dream nail.

1) I will check this out.
2) Did that, Shoulda said so. :)
3)I don't know why I didn't realize I could now go do that!!!
4) I bought and used a simple key to the right of Dirtmouth. I assume I can get another key somewhere?
5)I fought Mantises and got the claw to walljump. Are the Mantis Lords something else?

Thanks! :))

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

OzFactor posted:

I interpreted "dash" to mean Crystal Heart but maybe you mean Mothwing Cloak. If that's the case then yes, keep looking in Crystal Peak.

YEs, sorry, Mothwing. Sounds like I need the Crystal Heart soon/now. :)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mantis Lords are a boss. You’ll know when you run into them. Keep poking around Mantis village with wall jump and see if you can find any more switches to flip.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Feenix posted:

1) I will check this out.
2) Did that, Shoulda said so. :)
3)I don't know why I didn't realize I could now go do that!!!
4) I bought and used a simple key to the right of Dirtmouth. I assume I can get another key somewhere?
5)I fought Mantises and got the claw to walljump. Are the Mantis Lords something else?

Thanks! :))

I assumed you hadn't jumped into the grave since you didn't mention having access to the right side of city of tears, but I see you posted later that you just hadn't taken the lift down yet.

There are enough simple keys to open every lock in the game that requires one. You should be able to find one in the city of tears

The mantis lords hang out at the bottom of the mantis village. The first time you visit, the drop down to them is covered by a giant hatch. There's a lever in the upper village that opens the hatch - it's not super clear that's what the lever's for, so you might have opened the path without realising.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Or if you've purchased the lantern, go explore Deepest.

Yes....go to Deepnest....

There are things there....in the dark........

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I bought a Switch a few months ago, and I truly love it.

I didn’t realize until last week when I bought this game that Hollow Knight is the reason I bought a Switch.

This game is so great, everything about it. Setting, graphics, soundtrack, frustration/satisfaction of overcoming the frustration. It’s a perfect game for me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat White Palace but I still have no idea what the plot of this game is supposed to be :shrug:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I beat White Palace but I still have no idea what the plot of this game is supposed to be :shrug:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

There’s a 45 minute YouTube video out there that explains the lore. I didn’t watch it cause I have yet to beat the true ending and don’t want spoilers.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you beat the path of pain it lays out all the story in a wall of text explaining every detail you should get to work

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Rough outline of the plot, spoiler for the final boss and good ending:

There was a god who was in charge of this place. The king came and the god hosed off. The god came back so the king made a HOLLOW KNIGHT that would imprison the god inside of it. LATER: The god is starting to get out. You, Hollow Knight 2.0 come and start adventuring. Bad ending: you take over as living prison for the god. good ending: you kill the god.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Aside from the mostly obvious lore that you infer, the moth has like half the lore explaining the bad guy if you get 2200 essence (with bits and pieces as you get to it) and Bardoon the big long guy in Kingdom's Edge has the other half of it.

Everything else is mostly inferred or spread across the NPCs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wouldn’t mind an option to have been included that lets me cancel crystal dash

Dancer
May 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I really wouldn’t mind an option to have been included that lets me cancel crystal dash

... It's there. Press the crystal dash button again, and it will cancel. There is at least one point in the game where you need to do this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think we are taking about the same thing. I’m not sure how that would even work since it triggers the second you release the button.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t think we are taking about the same thing. I’m not sure how that would even work since it triggers the second you release the button.

Ohhhhh, right, I get it now. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not an option.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you hold the opposite direction you'll stop pretty quickly, that's the easiest way I found anyway.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do you pretty much have all your abilities once you have wall kick, soul shooter and dash?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

A lot of the map unlocks once you get those three but you don't have even half of the movement abilities and spells, especially if you count upgrades to those moves.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
Nope! You still have a few more out there.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
About 10 hours in, I just found the ability that lets you read people's minds, among other things. Also, the one that lets you just fly straight ahead.

As far as video games go, this one is pretty neat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Rough outline of the plot, spoiler for the final boss and good ending:

There was a god who was in charge of this place. The king came and the god hosed off. The god came back so the king made a HOLLOW KNIGHT that would imprison the god inside of it. LATER: The god is starting to get out. You, Hollow Knight 2.0 come and start adventuring. Bad ending: you take over as living prison for the god. good ending: you kill the god.

With the implication that if you imprison the god, the world's decline and lingering will continue into faded impotence, and if you kill the god then the world is pretty much over as you know it, and something else will re-emerge.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

100YrsofAttitude posted:

With the implication that if you imprison the god, the world's decline and lingering will continue into faded impotence, and if you kill the god then the world is pretty much over as you know it, and something else will re-emerge.

I don't remember that second implication being anywhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No that's Dark Souls

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I don't remember that second implication being anywhere.

That's what I understood Mr. Mushroom's spiel to be about.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
So I found The Hollow Knight to be a total pushover, but hoo boy The Radiance is a real fucker, ain't it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

that wasn't it

mr mushroom's rambling is mostly made up of vague allusions to previous (and possibly future?) games by the same developer, most of it isn't connected to hollow knight itself

there is the implication somewhere that he only appears in a realm's declining days to schlep around for a bit and then move on, but that has little to do with what happens to the radiance

imprisoning the radiance is a sub-optimal ending because there's no guarantee the hollow knight remains fully hollow after all it's been through, which would allow the infection to resume again later

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Mr Mushroom pops up as cycles rise and fall but the best ending of the game is avoiding that fall or stagnancy.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Just got this for Switch! I read the OP and skimmed through the thread some, but was wondering if you guys had any must-know advice for first-timers?

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

A Spider Covets posted:

Just got this for Switch! I read the OP and skimmed through the thread some, but was wondering if you guys had any must-know advice for first-timers?

Don't worry about hoarding geo and learn how to attack enemies by jumping over them and slashing down.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A Spider Covets posted:

I strongly recommend avoiding any and all spoilers, the environment and your interaction with it is as much a joy of the game as the gameplay.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

Buy the compass charm from the starting town once you’re able to and equip it by sitting on a bench and pressing “-“.

Buy the charm that auto collects geo as early as possible.

Try to buy the lantern early as well, but that can wait until your 4 hours or more into the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

When you get an item that has something to do with dreams, use it on everything that seems vaguely interesting, just in case. Even things you probably think wouldn't have an effect. You might be surprised!

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

Pretty much the only missable thing in the game is the worst ending, so fight the final boss as soon as you can.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm glad the Mantis Lords finally respect me enough that they've let me enter the pitch dark centipede hell cave.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Picked this up on Switch last week. Been taking my time and felt it to be kind of meh. I was aware of "the hump" that everyone describes for the first 2-3 hours.

I just stumbled upon False Knight, took him down, got the shout from the Shaman bug, and am now rolling around the swamp/forest hoping to find beetle bus-stop.

This game rules. I get the same sense of eerie dread as I got out of Limbo. The environments and sound design are so ace.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

A Spider Covets posted:

posting so i can use my post history to find my list

edit:

Rex-Goliath posted:

My take on a beginner's list:
  • Once you get your first map you'll be able to buy map markers from one of the shops. Use them! Any time you run into something where you go, 'hmm I'll probably want to come back here' throw down a marker. I didn't do this and it's easily the #1 thing that would have made my playthrough a bit less frustrating.
  • Don't sweat whether you're going the 'right way' as there is no real right way. This game is primarily about wandering off and exploring and if you embrace that you'll get the most out of this game. Sometimes that means you won't go the #1 best route or whatever, but that won't matter as you won't realize there was an easier route until you start comparing notes with other players. Also- with that in mind....
  • Don't be afraid to retreat if a level is feeling a bit too spicy. You can genuinely brute force your way through the hardest levels with just starting equipment if you know what you're doing. But also remember that you will always have a dozen of other paths you can be going down if you decide you want to try something different. You've been using your markers, right?
  • Also- don't expect any of the levels to be too easy either. Even if you play the game in the most efficient order it will still be somewhat difficult. The game doesn't become 'easy' until the very end when you've essentially maxed out all of your equipment, unlocked all of your abilities, and acquired all of the charms. Even then the game still has some challenging levels up its sleeve.
  • Buy everything from the vendors. There are no 'worthless' purchases.
  • You can 'pogo' jump by slashing your nail downwards at just the right time allowing you to traverse spike pits and other obstacles. Practice doing this on enemies. This technique allows you to get to a lot of places early
  • Revisit old areas every now and then for the hell of it. There will be places you didn't even think to mark because they were so normal that actually lead to entire new levels once you've gained certain abilities.
  • Hit all the walls. Hidden walls are sometimes put in really weird places. You won't be able to find them all on your own so if you want to 100% you'll wind up needing a guide but even still- hit all the walls. You'll find a lot of stuff that way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

was just watching this trailer and wow a lot of this stuff never made it into the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-v4NMQkBg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
It really can't be stressed enough that you get the most out of this game by just loving off wherever and seeing what happens. There's no "wrong" way to go about it. It's infuriating to watch me play most games because I dig into every single corner and pick up every object I can. In Hollow Knight, that behavior is tremendously helpful.

Also: pogo slash is the most useful attack in the game.