Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
It read like a joke to me, but hitting your kids is a super hot button issue (for good reason!) so I think other posters either didn't get the joke or didn't like it. I think your discussion about the importance of honorifics also muddied the waters a bit on whether or not you were joking too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like school is about learning to socialize and make friends just as much as it is to learn academic stuff like writing and reading. I get the frustration about your daughter maybe knowing a lot of the items already but is she socially so advanced that she should move up a class? I realize she’s so close to the cutoff so she’d probably be fine but I feel like maybe it’s not worth pushing too hard right now.

However in first/second grade if she is still advanced for her age and starting to get bored I would definitely talk about skipping a grade.

I think the biggest issue, besides possibly regressing, is the cost of the new place and what she's not really getting out of it. We went with a nicer place thinking it'd help her out. It's like we have a second mortgage.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I am honestly surprised at the wide range of response to that post. "Short of corporal punishment," was meant as a flowery way of saying "how do I get my kid to not do this, i can't think of how to, it really annoys me" but somehow it's being interpeted as "i'm gonna spank my kid if this doesn't stop immediately". Or is it something else. I'm really curious.

Well I gave you the benefit of the doubt at first but then someone said "JFC, seriously?" and you replied with how it's deeply, deeply important and cultural and other stuff that's weird to be putting on a two year old. So yeah, glad it's a joke but people really do hit their kids for stupid poo poo like this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well he said "JFC seriously" and I re-read what I wrote because I wasn't sure if the "short of corporal punishment" was written clearly but ...that seems/ed pretty clear to me? So the only other objectionable thing in that post was wanting to be called dad/daddy so I was like, well maybe this dad/daddy thing is somehow not common? and double checked the wikipedia page on honorifics and then saw there's like a seperate honorifics page for almost every major world culture

Anyways I'm going to drop it now

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Personally I read "short of corporal punishment" as explicitly proscribing that as an option, but everyone reads differently

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
It read to me like "this behavior makes me so mad I want to hit my kid but I won't "

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

same. was just gonna skip as it just sounded like a regular frustrated parent, but yeah, it reads way more as "angry" than as "a joke".

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Profiling posters who post posts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I will try and use more exacting language in my posts in this thread in the future, apologies to anyone who was impacted by my posting

Brawnfire posted:

Personally I read "short of corporal punishment" as explicitly proscribing that as an option

This is the opposite of the published definitions I've been able to find but I learned that there is a wide variety of interpretation of language today

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was using it like "without going so far as" as in, anything up to but not including... Was I wrong?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We've now moved into the language meta analysis portion of the conversation :eng101:

If I were to split into two lists things I would, and would not do, the phrase "explicitly proscribing that[corporal punishment] as an option" would move corporal punishment into the list of things to do. That's my meta analysis of your analysis. Which is not what I intended to say

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh my god the "I want to do it!" phase is so incredibly grating. Especially because the process of doing it is the fun part so oftentimes his goal is to repeatedly do the thing that needs done.

I have to keep reminding myself just how wonderful it is that he can now run to the bathroom and use the toilet by himself.

As an aside any tips for keeping a toddler from wanting to use excessive amounts of the toilet paper?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hadlock posted:

We've now moved into the language meta analysis portion of the conversation :eng101:

If I were to split into two lists things I would, and would not do, the phrase "explicitly proscribing that[corporal punishment] as an option" would move corporal punishment into the list of things to do. That's my meta analysis of your analysis. Which is not what I intended to say

...except proscribing means to forbid, so... you know what, nevermind.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh my god the "I want to do it!" phase is so incredibly grating.

The year is 2022. The broom hasn’t belonged to me in months. Days at home are constant sweeping. The child has started to become excited whenever something falls on the floor as an excuse to sweep. A toddler’s voice echoes in my head: “No! I sweep the floor!”

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The way the baby eats makes me really miss my dog who passed away before she was born even MORE than I already was. :(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

The way the baby eats makes me really miss my dog who passed away before she was born even MORE than I already was. :(

My dog is my baby's Roomba. Rip to your pup

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Any advice for a kid (two years and ten months old) who suddenly screams bloody murder during every bath? after always loving baths and enjoying splashing and the bath toys we have for him etc. this has come out of nowhere and we are bewildered

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

boquiabierta posted:

Any advice for a kid (two years and ten months old) who suddenly screams bloody murder during every bath? after always loving baths and enjoying splashing and the bath toys we have for him etc. this has come out of nowhere and we are bewildered

It’s probably just a phase. My kid did exactly the same thing around that time and within a week or two he was back to loving baths.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Same with my kid. She still has to be convinced they are good and fun every time but usually is fine when she's in there. Some kids prefer a shower? Mine uh, did not.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shifty Pony posted:

As an aside any tips for keeping a toddler from wanting to use excessive amounts of the toilet paper?

If you find out let me know. Toddlers are probably equally as responsible as energy companies for destroying the earth. It’s insane how much waste they create.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kid woke up at daycare with a fever.

Note from daycare that a stomach bug is going around.

:ohdear:

Pray for us

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Tots and prayers

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

Kid woke up at daycare with a fever.

Note from daycare that a stomach bug is going around.

:ohdear:

Pray for us

Thoughts and prayers.

My toddler threw up and then had diarrhea at daycare today. Solidarity.

I was only able to get one shift at work this week, and of course couldn’t get a hold of their dad when daycare said they needed to be picked up. I was ready to leave work when he called me back, and I wish he didn’t, because he told me he was on a hike and didn’t want to leave. So I had to leave halfway through my shift to get the kids. My poor toddler fell asleep on the dock a tot on the floor and has been asleep for three hours. I went through the entire calendar year and wrote down how many times I have had to leave work to get the kids vs how many times he has… Unsurprisingly it’s staggeringly more days for mom. I’ve missed 27 unpaid (I don’t have sick or PTO) days of work and he has missed 5, covered by PTO.

Ugh. Anyway, I’m getting a new couch delivered on Friday! My current couch is over ten years old and has all kinds of fluids and mystery stains on it… Got the warranty which replaces cushions for things as minor as markers. Also got a pet proof water proof huge blanket to put over it.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2022

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

EmmaDilemma posted:

Are there any threads on SA that have touched on the topic of parenting teenagers who self-harm?

Hi, I wanted to PM you but I can't. It is a scary and difficult thing, for sure. Are you getting any support yourself at the moment? What support is your child getting?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Eeeeyyy 99% sure my son has HFM.

E: Yep, it’s for sure HFM. Daycare is having an outbreak. A friend sent a picture of her poor kids absolutely covered in sores. My son has big sores all over his face, butt, and legs, but nowhere near as bad as her kids. Yet, I guess. Daughter so far is clear but we were all sleeping in the same bed last night.

Of course I recently invited a bunch of friends and their kids for Friendsgiving at my place on Saturday, already did the grocery shopping. I’m pretty sure the responsible thing to do is cancel, but technically they could go back to daycare on Friday…

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 16, 2022

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

boquiabierta posted:

My daughter absolutely hated baths for over a year, basically the entire period of being two years old. We tried everything but ultimately I just had to force it and clean a crying child with a sponge every day.

Then sometime around her third birthday a switch flipped and now I have to negotiate to get her out of the bath instead of in. I cannot discern any reason or pattern in this whatsoever.

It's apparently a common phase that lasts for however long it's going to last and then go away. Good luck.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
A month or so ago we flipped out of hate-bath phase to love-bath, but my toddler still gets pissed when I say it's bath time. He only cheers up when he makes contact with the water :confused:

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My 12 mo old is having some sleep issues. About a month ago, she was sleep and nap trained and sleeping through the night well. We then went on an overseas trip for a wedding, which blew up her sleep habit. For a while, she was standing in the crib and crying when we put her down for sleep, but after a week or so, she seems to have gotten back to falling asleep independently when we put her down to sleep.

But in the last 2-3 weeks, she's been waking up about 3-4 hours after falling asleep and not being able to put herself back to sleep. She ends up crying for 40min-1hr before finally nodding off. We have tried going in to calm her, but she becomes very awake. We then spend over 3 hours trying to get her asleep, not succeeding, and end up having to leave her room and having her cry to sleep anyways. This doesn't happen every night, but enough that my wife is now extremely stressed about her sleep.

It's clear that she's sleep trained in the sense that she's falling asleep independently when we put her down for sleep. It's just that she can't stay asleep, which is what sleep training is supposed to help with. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? We feel horrible for letting our baby cry alone for an hour at night, but our going in only seems to make things worse for everyone.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Well, put my daughter in daycare since she was totally fine, kept my son home because of the HFM. Had to pick her up because she spiked a fever an hour before her pick up time. So, Friendsgiving is officially canceled. I have enough food for at Least ten people, so I’ve invited people to come with carry out containers to take what they want and scram… we’ll see.

In other news, thank god for good neighbors. Got the message to get my daughter, and as I was headed out, I closed my front door without my keys, which locked me and my son outside. Btw it’s 20 F and snowing and windy. I call a locksmith who says they can be there in 45 minutes. So I go across the street to my neighbors, who I’ve been friendly with but not super close. They bring us inside, gave me tea and a cookie and gave my son a juice box and toast, we chatted about stuff until the locksmith got there. Also thank god for an understanding daycare. Have never forgotten a key for anything, ever. Got a million things on my mind, including maybe cancer??? Got a suspicious neoplasm removed from my back and I have to go back “urgently” to get more excised, which was scheduled ten days from now. So yeah.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

drainpipe posted:

My 12 mo old is having some sleep issues. About a month ago, she was sleep and nap trained and sleeping through the night well. We then went on an overseas trip for a wedding, which blew up her sleep habit. For a while, she was standing in the crib and crying when we put her down for sleep, but after a week or so, she seems to have gotten back to falling asleep independently when we put her down to sleep.

But in the last 2-3 weeks, she's been waking up about 3-4 hours after falling asleep and not being able to put herself back to sleep. She ends up crying for 40min-1hr before finally nodding off. We have tried going in to calm her, but she becomes very awake. We then spend over 3 hours trying to get her asleep, not succeeding, and end up having to leave her room and having her cry to sleep anyways. This doesn't happen every night, but enough that my wife is now extremely stressed about her sleep.

It's clear that she's sleep trained in the sense that she's falling asleep independently when we put her down for sleep. It's just that she can't stay asleep, which is what sleep training is supposed to help with. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? We feel horrible for letting our baby cry alone for an hour at night, but our going in only seems to make things worse for everyone.

Sleep regressions are super common and frequent, this sounds like one. Sleep training is more of a guideline, it kind of works most of the time.

Our dude was fully sleep trained at 5 months and between teeth, colds, development, trips, he would go through stuff like what you mentioned. He’s two in two weeks and still has sleep regressions. If you find something that works (and if cry it out for 40 mins is what works) then stick with it until it doesn’t. In two months it may become “go in and comfort her for 40 minutes” and you will think “man I wish it was still just cry it out”.

Crying it out won’t hurt her, and in fact if it’s putting her to sleep maybe it is her way of self soothing even if it sounds bad to you guys.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone know if Spirit Airlines counts a diaper bag as your one personal item for flights? Their bag price page is kind of ambiguous (on purpose, I'm sure)-

quote:

Remember: You can bring one personal item and bring items like an umbrella, camera, infant diaper bag, assistive devices, outer garments (e.g., coats, hats and wraps), reading material and food for the flight for no additional charge.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

C-Euro posted:

Anyone know if Spirit Airlines counts a diaper bag as your one personal item for flights? Their bag price page is kind of ambiguous (on purpose, I'm sure)-
I have no personal experience but it sounds pretty clear to me:

quote:

You can bring one personal item and … infant diaper bag … for no additional charge

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I haven't flown in spirit with my kid yet, but in general flight crews will bend over backwards for parents of kids under 5 or so

This is my personal experience but the majority of flight crews are women and in addition to general human decency the women at the gate desk can work all kinds of magic for parents of young kids and all sorts of special circumstances. This seems to be accepted practice and asking for very small favors will get you a lot of mileage, just ask way in advance so they can get to you when need be "hey when you get a chance, could you..."

It's possible that they're real dicks, but you're almost certainly ok. Airports generally know that you're having an awful day and will do their best to accommodate you

We fly, a lot, like almost once a month with our kid now two years old and every time we've gotten nothing but the best treatment despite being economy group 9 or whatever

Pro tip take the stroller to the gate, having that to carry all your crap makes life so much easier

Parents drink for free on airplanes, even in economy, seems to be the secret wink wink nod deal

Triple edit: arrive very early, apologize often and above all be polite. If you're chill, the flight crew is chill and can/will accommodate

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 19, 2022

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Probably silly questions, but what are you doing when you go in to calm her down? Are you talking to her, putting the light on, or just lying down next to her silently? Does she have a nightlight that gets left on? Are you trying to leave often or waiting until they fall asleep again?

I'm personally not a fan of 'cry it out', so the variable we've modified is not whether we go in but what we do and when we leave again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are there any specific channels on YouTube you all like to block for your 2 year olds? Just started setting up my daughters tablet and we blocked a bunch of cocomelon channels but not sure what else, if anything, is really bad for her on there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What's wrong with cocomelon?

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Panfilo posted:

Dunno about that poster, but I personally find the animation creepy and the songs insipid. But it's all relative, a lot of kids shows have creepy animation and insipid songs, it's just personal taste and tolerance.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The bass absolutely pops off for Bath Song especially toward the end. Thank you coco bass guy for sneaking that in there for me.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

jabby posted:

Probably silly questions, but what are you doing when you go in to calm her down? Are you talking to her, putting the light on, or just lying down next to her silently? Does she have a nightlight that gets left on? Are you trying to leave often or waiting until they fall asleep again?

I'm personally not a fan of 'cry it out', so the variable we've modified is not whether we go in but what we do and when we leave again.

We talk to her a little and hold her until she calms down. We don't turn on the lights and try to keep things pretty quiet. When we go to put her down, however, she starts crying again, so we are stuck in a loop until we just get too tired and put her down crying.

My wife also doesn't like crying it out, but we haven't figured out a way to put the baby down after she has woken up without causing her to cry again outside of bouncing her to sleep. Doing that, however, makes it much more likely that she will wake up crying again (much more than the amount of waking up and crying I was asking about).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Panfilo posted:

https://annarborfamily.com/feature/is-cocomelon-harmful-for-kids/