Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Hadlock posted:

My 2yo daughter in the last six weeks has stopped calling me daddy and started calling me by my first name. She knows the difference

How do I enforce dad/daddy short of corporal punishment. Correcting her/ignoring her doesn't seem to be working

This is hilarious, and also a phase. Just wait it out. Hashtag parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Mine refuses to be called cuddly nicknames and calls me "daddy" instead of the usual "tata" when she's pissed at circles being round or whatever.

Hashtag parenting.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

My 2yo daughter in the last six weeks has stopped calling me daddy and started calling me by my first name. She knows the difference

How do I enforce dad/daddy short of corporal punishment. Correcting her/ignoring her doesn't seem to be working

Not something that needs enforcing. My 2yo switches between Daddy and my first name, she's just proud that she knows my actual name. If it really bugs you (it probably shouldn't) just keep reminding her you prefer to be called Dad and it's polite to call people what they like to be called.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Counterpoint: my sisters and I all still call my parents by their first names. At this point I definitely don't know when or why that started.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My daughter calls me by the first name and laughs. I love it. Especially when my son says “no no, daddy!”

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Who cares if they call you by your given name? I would file that under pick your battles

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Out of all the kids I knew growing up, exactly ONE family had the kids calling the parents by their first names. They were total hippies and I have no idea what the idea was, but I'm pretty sure there was an idea.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It's def a thing in older hippie circles: disrupting the authoritarian nature of traditional family/we are all peers kinda thing.

Source: my wife grew up in one of those.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My kid calls me by my first name when he's trying to get a rise out of me.

And it works. Motherfucker.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

gbut posted:

It's def a thing in older hippie circles: disrupting the authoritarian nature of traditional family/we are all peers kinda thing.

Source: my wife grew up in one of those.

This makes a lot of sense, I was 2/3 tofu and carob by weight as a kid

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

JFC, seriously?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Made these cinnamon buns with cream cheese icing with my daughter. I swear, this girl is so amazing in the kitchen. I have never tried my hand at cinnamon buns because they seemed so laborious, but it was a joy and a breeze with my little kitchen buddy. I'm not crying stfu

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well I am crying because I'll never be able to taste those :sadwave:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Hell yes

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Kids do this when they realize that you're a person with an identity, just like them, and not just their parent.

She'll probably just drop it soon enough, but if you think she's being spiteful: at some point she's going to want something from you, and you can make her ask you by saying "Daddy, ... please?" In other words, the same way we teach kids other manners (saying "please" and "thank you").

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

JFC, seriously?

Look up "honorifics"; this is present in every culture I've come across. It is a deep, deep topic. On my wife's side of the family it gets into minutae like birth order and if the aunt/uncle is by blood or by marriage, which also, isn't super uncommon. At a casual glance it looks like Wikipedia has at least eighteen completely separate articles on the topic(s)

Sounds like this is a phase though, I'll just let it go for now

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hadlock posted:

Look up "honorifics"; this is present in every culture I've come across. It is a deep, deep topic. On my wife's side of the family it gets into minutae like birth order and if the aunt/uncle is by blood or by marriage, which also, isn't super uncommon. At a casual glance it looks like Wikipedia has at least eighteen completely separate articles on the topic(s)

There’s a difference between “this is important to me/my family/my culture” and “I’m considering corporal punishment.”

Also I think this probably falls into “the more you react the more the kid will keep doing it because you reacted.”

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Dad is not an honorific. "father" sometimes is, but if you're insisting on your kid calling you "faaather" just lol that's incredibly weird.

If your wife's side of the family has that structure, they likely have an equally specific language for it. Just use that language and those terms.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

She's 2. This isn't a deeply rooted cultural insult where she chooses to attack your careful upbringing. I repeat: she's 2.

Muir posted:

There’s a difference between “this is important to me/my family/my culture” and “I’m considering corporal punishment.”

Also I think this probably falls into “the more you react the more the kid will keep doing it because you reacted.”

Basically, this.

El Mero Mero posted:

Dad is not an honorific. "father" sometimes is, but if you're insisting on your kid calling you "faaather" just lol that's incredibly weird.

If your wife's side of the family has that structure, they likely have an equally specific language for it. Just use that language and those terms.

he said she stopped calling him "Daddy". Even less formal.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My toddlers mostly non-verbal and we finally got him a picture board of all his toys so he can clearly communicate his preferences. Now he's running around with the board abusing his power by getting all the toys one selection at a time :3:

Hadlock posted:

At a casual glance it looks like Wikipedia has at least eighteen completely separate articles on the topic(s)
Lmao

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Some friends of ours are pregnant, and the father and his siblings grew up calling their parents by their first names. Very much hippies. Anyway, I guess in keeping with what he's used to, he has said he wants the baby to use his name, rather than "dad/daddy" etc. Apparently the rationale is he doesn't like titles or something. His wife doesn't seem to share this and will just go with the usual, I guess. I find his preference a touch weird, but I can't think of any objective reasons why it's so, other than maybe it feels a bit... cold? Also could be a bit jarring if you call one parent by their title and one by their name, I suppose. Regardless, they're great people and will be fantastic parents so whatever works for them I guess.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My preschooler’s favorite teacher was out on vacation last week. Kiddo had a bunch of kinda dicey behavior and a ton of accidents to deal with. Today her teacher was back and my kid had the biggest smile on her face and even did a little excitement dance and I feel like the accidents and behavior are going to clear up pretty quickly.

It’s a continual learning experience how strongly that anxiety and upset can manifest in kids, and, as a parent, how much of this stuff can kinda be out of your control.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Apparently the rationale is he doesn't like titles or something.
I admit I haven't looked into the etymology here but I long assumed that "Mom" and "Dad" aren't "intended" to be titles but are names parents use with their children because they're easy words to produce early in speech development. Like, "Mama" and "Dada" (or similar) are the earliest words kids will say--certainly reliably--and having words they can reliably use gives them agency and further encourages speech development.

I'd also assume that since they're among the earliest words kids learn there's a very strong association with them, which is why (most) children use these words to refer to their parents for most of their lives.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Toddler learned my husband's/her dad's name when I would say "Hey [name]!" for something, so now she shouts "Hey [name]!" to him when she wants his attention. He's tried to teach her mine in revenge but it's a little harder to say so she still just calls me Mama.

She's in a phase now where she'll randomly run up to me, hug my legs and say "I love you Mommy!" and I love it and never want it to end.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno if you can be both social and on the spectrum, I always thought being on the spectrum always meant being shy/introverted to some degree.
IANAD but the things you describe in this post definitely sound autistic, and plenty of autistic people are prosocial - they just struggle with various things. It is so varied in its presentation and it sounds like a good thing to follow up if it means he can access some support.

ppl in thread posted:

Dad/firstname stuff
My husband calls his parents (not hippies) by their names because when he was a little kid he asked why he had to call them mum/dad when those aren't their names, and nobody else calls them that. They didn't have much in the way of a compelling argument, so he never went back to using mum/dad. They got over it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My parents thought me to use their names in a public setting when I was a kid.
Because when you're at a pool and you shout "mama", half of the people will turn their head.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I made a game out of adding a "-y," or "ie" sound to caregiver titles and names to make them cute and funny.

The little man will call himself "I'm a COLD cold Pashiiiiie," when just out of the bath and say "paaaapi!" when he wants to attention from Papi for being cuter than cute. Mother wants to be titled Mama, and only Mama, and she gives me a glower when he calls her mommy. Caregiver titles shouldn't be so serious, though!

He knows first names but prefers caregiver titles. Little people often won't have strong opinions on which title or inflection, or string of vowels are required get a response from their caregiver as long as they get the response, but if they suddenly do I think it's best to consider it a phase and run with it. This time is so short, these golden years will be missed so rapidly. :(

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My daughter is hitting a milestone where she is getting increasingly active, exploratory and chatty as she approaches two. Last night she went ham clapping two toy metal pan lids together and smiling ear to ear while marching around the house.

After she was in bed, but before she fell asleep, my wife kicked those kids lids, and the daughter had a very sleepy happy reaction. I really hope our daughters conception of what we do after she goes to bed is doing basically what she does.

e: typo lol

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 15, 2022

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I sure hope that was a "lids" typo.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Daycare is mostly Spanish speaking so the toddler has started calling me "mami." Husband really wants the kids to call him tatko, so I've been trying to prompt them with that, but "papa" seems to be sticking. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that the older one knows our actual names lol, but also yikes.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
11mo kiddo has covid and it sucks :(

EmmaDilemma
Jul 22, 2019
Are there any threads on SA that have touched on the topic of parenting teenagers who self-harm?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nachos posted:

It’s been 5 days of potty training and I’m not sure what to do because she just holds her pee and screams until there’s an accident. Then she feels bad about it but isn’t motivated to go to the potty next time because it’s another stressor. Yesterday some pee actually went in the toilet but today is just flat out refusal to do anything. She’s almost 3 but I feel like we need to just try again in a couple months

UPDATE

We gave up on Saturday and had her in diapers over most of the weekend. Today she said “I want undies” in the morning while getting dressed and went through an entire day of daycare with no accidents. She even told her teachers she needed to go inside to pee.

Kids are weird and I guess just follow their lead?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

making GBS threads your pants isn't acceptable in many cultures but we don't use corporal punishment on toddlers when they do it. Or at least you shouldn't. They really don't have enough control over their behaviour for you to be taking the things they do as some kind of intentional disrespect.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

nachos posted:

UPDATE

We gave up on Saturday and had her in diapers over most of the weekend. Today she said “I want undies” in the morning while getting dressed and went through an entire day of daycare with no accidents. She even told her teachers she needed to go inside to pee.

Kids are weird and I guess just follow their lead?

Congrats! It really is just about showing them how to do it and then waiting around scrubbing poo poo out of underwear until they decide they want to do it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We had a play date with one of our daughter's friend over the weekend. They have a younger sister (~1) who was also there. When we were leaving our daughter goes, "daddy, I want to buy a real baby to take care of". :lol: I think she's wanting a younger sibling but my wife and I are like not happening.

On another topic, we moved our daughter from a daycare to a new place since she aged out of the original daycare. She's in a weird spot of not being old enough for preschool, here cut off is August 31, she was born September 18, so she's the oldest in the non-preschool class. The previous daycare had done a great job of getting her ready for pre-school, she could count to 40 and knows the months, among other things.

Yesterday, my wife brought home a checklist for a parent teacher conference, and the items they expect the children to know are things our daughter knew before starting the new place. We were irritated last night because we're wasting money if she's being taught what she already knows and the new place refuses to place her in the preschool because of her age. We're going to have a conversation with the teachers but it's frustrating because we don't want to be THOSE parents who claim their kid is the smartest, etc. but I was bored during school and did not do as well as I could have until I was much older.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jabby posted:

making GBS threads your pants isn't acceptable in many cultures but we don't use corporal punishment on toddlers when they do it.

I am honestly surprised at the wide range of response to that post. "Short of corporal punishment," was meant as a flowery way of saying "how do I get my kid to not do this, i can't think of how to, it really annoys me" but somehow it's being interpeted as "i'm gonna spank my kid if this doesn't stop immediately". Or is it something else. I'm really curious.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

We had a play date with one of our daughter's friend over the weekend. They have a younger sister (~1) who was also there. When we were leaving our daughter goes, "daddy, I want to buy a real baby to take care of". :lol: I think she's wanting a younger sibling but my wife and I are like not happening.

On another topic, we moved our daughter from a daycare to a new place since she aged out of the original daycare. She's in a weird spot of not being old enough for preschool, here cut off is August 31, she was born September 18, so she's the oldest in the non-preschool class. The previous daycare had done a great job of getting her ready for pre-school, she could count to 40 and knows the months, among other things.

Yesterday, my wife brought home a checklist for a parent teacher conference, and the items they expect the children to know are things our daughter knew before starting the new place. We were irritated last night because we're wasting money if she's being taught what she already knows and the new place refuses to place her in the preschool because of her age. We're going to have a conversation with the teachers but it's frustrating because we don't want to be THOSE parents who claim their kid is the smartest, etc. but I was bored during school and did not do as well as I could have until I was much older.

I feel like school is about learning to socialize and make friends just as much as it is to learn academic stuff like writing and reading. I get the frustration about your daughter maybe knowing a lot of the items already but is she socially so advanced that she should move up a class? I realize she’s so close to the cutoff so she’d probably be fine but I feel like maybe it’s not worth pushing too hard right now.

However in first/second grade if she is still advanced for her age and starting to get bored I would definitely talk about skipping a grade.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

I am honestly surprised at the wide range of response to that post. "Short of corporal punishment," was meant as a flowery way of saying "how do I get my kid to not do this, i can't think of how to, it really annoys me" but somehow it's being interpeted as "i'm gonna spank my kid if this doesn't stop immediately". Or is it something else. I'm really curious.

Friendly reminder that corporal punishment is still legal in a lot of places in the US.

poo poo, in my state it's legal for teachers to do it in schools under state law... school districts are free to allow it if they so choose.

So I mean yeah, it's an overreaction here for sure, since I think it was pretty obvious that it was a joke, but the unfortunate reality is that a disturbing number of people still need to be told not to beat their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hadlock posted:

It didn’t sound like “boy I’m frustrated and am mentioning corporal punishment by way of rhetorical overstatement” but rather like “I’d prefer not to beat him to get it to stop but I will if I have to.” Combined with being quite an overreaction to normal toddler try-stuff-and-see-what-happens behavior you came off as very unreasonable.