Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Metal and punk have been using swastikas for shock value since the Sex Pistols. It's nothing new.

I think in the modern political climate it is a bad idea to go on stage with a swastika for shock value, but I don't think Hoest is a Nazi.

I mean didn't that dude from Emperor literally kill a guy for being gay? And Emperor still plays. Black metal has a long history of doing messed up stuff.

If you want to take political action do it against people who actually pose a threat to your idealogy, not some Norwegian dude who likes to wear makeup and scream over blast beats.

Just my two cents.

Emperor haven't played in America in like a decade and I'm not sure they can even get visas because of their felonies. You're telling people to protest things that aren't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Metal and punk have been using swastikas for shock value since the Sex Pistols. It's nothing new.

what about anti muslim lyrics

i listen to "suspicious" noise and metal but i wouldn't like my local venue to host NSBM or nazi gigs (not that i'm saying taake is NSBM, but all real black metal is inherently suspicious).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kvlt! posted:

I think in the modern political climate it is a bad idea to go on stage with a swastika for shock value, but I don't think Hoest is a Nazi.

I mean didn't that dude from Emperor literally kill a guy for being gay? And Emperor still plays. Black metal has a long history of doing messed up stuff.

If you want to take political action do it against people who actually pose a threat to your idealogy, not some Norwegian dude who likes to wear makeup and scream over blast beats.

Just my two cents.

More to the point that while Hoest may not espouse a Nazi ideology, there's a subset of fans that do and attend the concerts. Taake may not be a Nazi band, but the perception is there and people attend shows because of that.

Nobody really cares about Satanism and poo poo like that these days because it's no longer shocking. The nerve is so raw right now in regards to far right poo poo that people are going to look at everything through a microscope.

I'm sure Hoest could have responded and been like "look I'm literally not a Nazi", but when you've got a lyrical base that got a lot of poo poo like that in there, it's hard to argue the point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

A human heart posted:

Whats your fav obscure industrial band friend

is Author & Punisher obscure? he's pretty cool

Vargatron posted:

More to the point that while Hoest may not espouse a Nazi ideology, there's a subset of fans that do and attend the concerts.

Same reason I hate going to Eyehategod shows

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

is Author & Punisher obscure? he's pretty cool

he is cool! not that obscure and like godflesh, industrial metal with emphasis on metal but yeah, very cool

COOL CORN posted:

Same reason I hate going to Eyehategod shows

care to elaborate? i like them enough to have their logo tattooed on my arm and i know mike has some uh, questionable tattoos but i never thought they'd be perceived as suspicious in any way? i mean they tour with cro-mags and discharge.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

what about anti muslim lyrics

i listen to "suspicious" noise and metal but i wouldn't like my local venue to host NSBM or nazi gigs (not that i'm saying taake is NSBM, but all real black metal is inherently suspicious).

I've only heard of the swastika stuff, but I mean all black metal is inherently anti-religion. If he's going after Muslims for racial reasons that's obviously not ok, but if he's targetting the religion I think that is the same as screaming against any religion.

I mean I would definitely be upset if a local venue hosted an actual NSBM band. I just don't think Taake is one. Granted I'm not an expert but to me it seems Hoest is an edgelord not a Nazi.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I've only heard of the swastika stuff, but I mean all black metal is inherently anti-religion. If he's going after Muslims for racial reasons that's obviously not ok, but if he's targetting the religion I think that is the same as screaming against any religion.

it's totally not the same thing and you know it's not. i think it's very understandable that anti-muslim lyrics cause controversy while anti-christian lyrics don't.

Kvlt! posted:

I mean I would definitely be upset if a local venue hosted an actual NSBM band. I just don't think Taake is one. Granted I'm not an expert but to me it seems Hoest is an edgelord not a Nazi.

edgelordism has the unfortunate downside that sometimes people take what an edgelord says seriously lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

it's totally not the same thing and you know it's not. i think it's very understandable that anti-muslim lyrics cause controversy while anti-christian lyrics don't.

I haven't read what exactly his comments are, but I think it is absolutely ok to criticize Muslim theology in the same way it is ok to criticize any theology. If you criticize Muslim people because you hate brown people that's a whole different story, but from a purely theological standpoint I don't believe any faith is off limits to criticism.

Vargatron posted:

More to the point that while Hoest may not espouse a Nazi ideology, there's a subset of fans that do and attend the concerts. Taake may not be a Nazi band, but the perception is there and people attend shows because of that.

Nobody really cares about Satanism and poo poo like that these days because it's no longer shocking. The nerve is so raw right now in regards to far right poo poo that people are going to look at everything through a microscope.

I'm sure Hoest could have responded and been like "look I'm literally not a Nazi", but when you've got a lyrical base that got a lot of poo poo like that in there, it's hard to argue the point.

I hadn't considered this point, and I think you make a good argument. I suppose even if the band itself arent Nazis, if they draw nazis to the concert I definitely wouldn't want them in my town.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would also like to know about Eyehategod's connection to far right stuff is. Being friends with Phil Anselmo doesn't count.

I also have trouble getting mad about islamophobia in songs about how religion is bad, even if it is punching down. Sorry if that sounds Bill Maher-ish.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't read what exactly his comments are, but I think it is absolutely ok to criticize Muslim theology in the same way it is ok to criticize any theology. If you criticize Muslim people because you hate brown people that's a whole different story, but from a purely theological standpoint I don't believe any faith is off limits to criticism.

http://lyricstranslate.com/en/orkan-hurricane.html#ixzz58QK1gA00

We speak flames of gold and gunpowder
We don't fly on rugs but headwinds
Storm

Paganism fortifies its flag
No one shall flay my ancient land
The farmer shall shapen his axe again

Kingdom shines through
Years of dishonour and Christian times
Deadly inner strife

To hell with Muhammad and Muslims
Unforgivable customs
For it smoulders in after wartimes

The sun of Winter rise in the west
For those who burn our flag
Bastards

Felt Lords of testimony
Austerity for austerity now awakens soon
Norway

deep theological criticism, indeed

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Storm

Kingdom shines through
Deadly inner strife

Unforgivable customs

Bastards

Felt Lords of testimony
Norway

Ok those are bad

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

Storm

Kingdom shines through
Deadly inner strife

Unforgivable customs

Bastards

Felt Lords of testimony
Norway

Again, I was speaking generally. As I had stated before, I had not read what Taake had said or what their lyrics were. All I said was if A HYPOTHETICAL PERSON was making actual theological criticisms (and not "i hate Muslims because they're brown" rhetoric) that is ok, I never said that Taake were making legitimate theological criticisms.

Obviously what Taake said does not fall under legitimate theological criticisms and is not ok.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 28, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
sure, i agree with you. however i think that saying such things when we're talking about suspicious black metal bands is kind of naive, as black metal isn't exactly known for it's civilized critique lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Henchman of Santa posted:

Emperor haven't played in America in like a decade and I'm not sure they can even get visas because of their felonies. You're telling people to protest things that aren't happening.

Apparently they don't go to the US becuase it's really expensive. Make of that what you will

BTW Faust is the one who murdered a guy, and was replaced by Trym after In the Nightside Eclipse. Faust toured with them for 2014 after he got out of prison but Trym was the drummer on tours before and after, and I don't recall Ihsahn, Samoth or Trym having felonies (but I might be wrong?)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

sure, i agree with you. however i think that saying such things when we're talking about suspicious black metal bands is kind of naive, as black metal isn't exactly known for it's civilized critique lol

I suppose in hindsight it was kind of naive, you got me there.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fwiw we have the NSBM discussion at least once a quarter ITT.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I saw Metallica 4 times from the late 80s to the mid-90s. Including the infamous GN'R tour in '92. I just prefer to remember them that way.

greensboro 89, raleigh 92, and va beach 98

they were definitely running out of gas at the last one. woof

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Apparently they don't go to the US becuase it's really expensive. Make of that what you will

BTW Faust is the one who murdered a guy, and was replaced by Trym after In the Nightside Eclipse. Faust toured with them for 2014 after he got out of prison but Trym was the drummer on tours before and after, and I don't recall Ihsahn, Samoth or Trym having felonies (but I might be wrong?)

I thought they all had criminal records from church arson but I could be confused or thinking of any number of other second wave bands.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

If you're dumb enough to paint a swastika on your chest for a gig in Germany and you're not even a nazi, I honestly couldn't give any less of a poo poo if that completely kills your career.

His statement re: cancelling even reads like it was ghostwritten by Varg. Goddamn do I hate black metal edgelords.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

he is cool! not that obscure and like godflesh, industrial metal with emphasis on metal but yeah, very cool

care to elaborate? i like them enough to have their logo tattooed on my arm and i know mike has some uh, questionable tattoos but i never thought they'd be perceived as suspicious in any way? i mean they tour with cro-mags and discharge.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would also like to know about Eyehategod's connection to far right stuff is. Being friends with Phil Anselmo doesn't count.

I also have trouble getting mad about islamophobia in songs about how religion is bad, even if it is punching down. Sorry if that sounds Bill Maher-ish.

Let me clarify - AFAIK EHG don't have any problematic issues themselves, but each of the three times I saw them in NC the crowd has been peppered with neo nazis.

Might just be coincidence!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

While I'm not saying antifa have never done anything wrong, they're still way better than actual neo nazi's or alt righters and anyone ranting about them almost always turns out to be an awful person. Also Talib Kweli is cool and a good rapper. So no, I'm not siding with Taake here, even if they're not actually racists they're just reaping the results of their actions and responding to it in a bad way.

You can't claim that you're using the swastika just to be provocative and then get upset when people are provoked.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i love both burzum and dead prez, am i weird

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

No, just better at seperating politics and personalities from music than some people (like me).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

i love both burzum and dead prez, am i weird

Big Arghoslent and Public Enemy fan checking in

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i also like roman polanskis movies, charles chaplin movies, would totally drive a ford car, read louis-ferdinand celine, eddie murphys stand up is hilarious and burzum made some of the best black metal ever

/end NSBM discussion

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Is Charlie Chaplin problematic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Smirr posted:

Have you seen his mustache?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Smirr posted:

he had a thing for little girls.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

il_cornuto posted:

While I'm not saying antifa have never done anything wrong, they're still way better than actual neo nazi's or alt righters and anyone ranting about them almost always turns out to be an awful person.

yeah getting upset about antifa is a sure sign you're a ben shapiro-worshiping manlet

Dyna Soar posted:

brb gonna start a one man bedroom raw 1st wave band whose gimmick is comparing and contrasting various ahadith

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 28, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for some "slower" death metal. I like death-doom but I'm looking for something that is less the fast/slow dynamic and contrast of death-doom and more old school mid-tempo death metal.

Basically I'm looking for Bolt Thrower worship.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Asphyx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuojIbv2eyA

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Asphyx is great! That's definitely the style I'm after.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
winter, dream death, coffins, hooded menace, disma, autopsy, serpentine path

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

winter, dream death, coffins, hooded menace, disma, autopsy, serpentine path

I'll check these out, thank you!

I'm always torn on Winter, because I enjoy the music but the guitar tones are just awful. I'm usually pretty open to lovely tones but Winter's is just particularly grating to me. I'm a huge Autopsy fan though so if the other bands you posted are like them, then it should be right up my alley.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
this is pretty cool tech death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqItcG8m4gI

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I mostly only like a smattering of older tech death but that is pretty cool and different. There's some really weird mixing going on at 2:23 that I really didn't enjoy though. Also those clean vocals are going to be super divisive. I do appreciate that it has actual good riffs and that the guitar tone isn't super clean and squeaky.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 28, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
These kids pull off a pretty sick Led Zeppelin impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXdM1rqSlSQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Nordick posted:

These kids pull off a pretty sick Led Zeppelin impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXdM1rqSlSQ

Put some shoes on, bassist guy, you nasty

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for some "slower" death metal. I like death-doom but I'm looking for something that is less the fast/slow dynamic and contrast of death-doom and more old school mid-tempo death metal.

Basically I'm looking for Bolt Thrower worship.

Temple of Void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

:bisonyes:

Been waiting for this poo poo!