Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Philonius posted:

Getting the mentor crown does not require competence in any way, just persistance.

The cool people realized how many total and utter shitlers were wearing mentor crowns, so they turned that poo poo off.

Now only the shitlers are left displaying it.

pro players wear the RP crown!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
NA server congestion at 3 eastern on a weekday....??

KoB
May 1, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

NA server congestion at 3 eastern on a weekday....??

Seems like everyone got kicked from Adamantoise.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Red Mage is the best job for if you're tired or zoned out because you can still do decent while basically not doing anything at all.

Pretty much this. It isn't too tier dps but it's pretty simple on top of being fun, and a solid choice if you don't trust the other party members to keep themselves alive. Which all comes together into making it a good "lazy exdr at the end of the day" job.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Went and looked, Its plot 2 in the lavender beds I have my eye on. Thankfully half the wards have an open plot 2, I just gotta find a guide to making gil

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Went and looked, Its plot 2 in the lavender beds I have my eye on. Thankfully half the wards have an open plot 2, I just gotta find a guide to making gil

Small plot, I'm assuming? If you're on Excalibur and haven't made the gil needed by the time it opens for players, let me know. I'll help you out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The servers dying Cloud

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7vyg96/unknown_fc_on_unknown_server_took_entire_ward_and/

https://twitter.com/Entropyffxiv?lang=en

World First FC is in charge of a crafter guild that wants 100 submarines or some poo poo so they bought up an entire ward more or less with additional service accounts and now people are mad. FFXIV drama is funny.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'd rather dodge catdad's balls than do another pointless add phase.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
For every fight where the boss leaves the arena and makes you fight adds, I die a little inside.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd rather dodge catdad's balls than do another pointless add phase.

spay and neuter your pets y'all

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The honest of tanking. Ala Mhigo.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that first to-the-wall pull in ala mhigo really is terrible, if either the tank or the healer are totally incompetent.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Oh you're just gonna pick 3 over and over until I find the 3 on my side? A strong strategy.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

a solid choice if you don't trust the other party members to keep themselves alive.
It's amazing how many runs I've saved as RDM by quick-ressing both healers or half the DPS or whatever after people die to mechanics but I manged to keep myself alive. I know red mage is probably the worst DPS in high end stuff right now... but if you're not in high end stuff it turns out surprisingly useful.

Also I'm old and stupid so even if the skill cap is fairly low I can at least meet it consistently unlike most of the DPS classes. :saddowns:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

that first to-the-wall pull in ala mhigo really is terrible, if either the tank or the healer are totally incompetent.

When I say single pull I mean, you know those 2 mobs that go down the stairs right after the first 3 at the start? They didn't pull past them. We sat at the stairs to kill the 2 before moving on.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Asimo posted:

It's amazing how many runs I've saved as RDM by quick-ressing both healers or half the DPS or whatever after people die to mechanics but I manged to keep myself alive. I know red mage is probably the worst DPS in high end stuff right now... but if you're not in high end stuff it turns out surprisingly useful.

Also I'm old and stupid so even if the skill cap is fairly low I can at least meet it consistently unlike most of the DPS classes. :saddowns:

Yup. I've been averaging about 4 rezzes per Byakko run.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Uh please respect the content and only single-pull and single-target dps.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Saint Freak posted:

Uh please respect the content and only single-pull and single-target dps.

Leveling roulette put me in Aurum Vale yesterday with a DRK who tried this. He refused to touch his aoe skill and yelled at the healer for pulling aggro from him. "Dnt fkn attk" was his battle cry. I should have dropped, but I soldiered on to the 15 minute mark, which was 2 wipes in to the first boss.

I'm pretty sure the BLM and healer were both relieved to see the abandon vote prompt pop up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Shoutout to Bear Puncher, what the hell is up with O7N? Like.... this seriously did not seem that hard when I did it last week! I even had to run it half a dozen times to get my drop! Now I've got tanks that can't stay upright, DPS that wilt when you breathe on them, I just took one for the team, ate the lockout, and went to bed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
O3 is still the hardest normal fight of the Omega Raid. :colbert:

That said, people die on O7 like it's out of style. I'm not really sure why since most of it is "Don't stand in the AOEs".

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

When I say single pull I mean, you know those 2 mobs that go down the stairs right after the first 3 at the start? They didn't pull past them. We sat at the stairs to kill the 2 before moving on.

oof. i'm so sorry.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That said, people die on O7 like it's out of style. I'm not really sure why since most of it is "Don't stand in the AOEs".

poo poo man, I can't even *remember* what O3 is.

Also, except when you're supposed to, like Dadaluma circles. Eventually the DPS started getting that right, but man.

I dunno. This one was particularly bad. The DRK that was MTing couldn't stay upright, and I was continually ripping threat, even Shirking on CD. Of course, THAT had to stop, because they couldn't stay upright, and as soon as they were rezzed, instead of taking a moment to get topped off, or waiting for weakness to fall off, NO, TAUNT, MUST ASSERT TANK DOMIN-*dead*

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 8, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
My o7 strategy is to make lots of adds spawn to inflate my parse.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Been thinking about this a bit. Think it's either a troll or a miss on expectation setting when the preceding cutscene says the enemy is nothing special.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Leal posted:

Isn't that how the pull was done way back in the day? Before everyone being capped was assumed?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

big pullin since day one

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

isk posted:

Been thinking about this a bit. Think it's either a troll or a miss on expectation setting when the preceding cutscene says the enemy is nothing special.

Almost certainly the former.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Isn't that how the pull was done way back in the day? Before everyone being capped was assumed?

The more conservative groups I've seen day one might do the first batch in two pulls, and maybe pull the ape pulls separately after the first boss. It didn't take long to go straight to the wall on the first two pulls, and pull both ape groups (maybe even the dogs with a caster LB).

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I think it’s absolutely adorable that Byakko just actually says “Roar” sometimes.

Who’s a tough angry kitty? You are!

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 8, 2018

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Starting to get bored with DRK and just started SB so maybe it's time for a new class. (ARR was WHM, HW was DRK) I want something mobile so thinking melee dps. Does Ninja or Monk have a more distinctive play style? (like especially different from DRK as much as any class is in ffxiv)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Starting to get bored with DRK and just started SB so maybe it's time for a new class. (ARR was WHM, HW was DRK) I want something mobile so thinking melee dps. Does Ninja or Monk have a more distinctive play style? (like especially different from DRK as much as any class is in ffxiv)

I think Ninja is both more distinctive and more fun to play.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When I was doing my runs this week my df party failed the demon circles and had 6 of the things spawn. That's only 2 circles actually done.

My exact words were:

'dude we are cars here we need to do mechanics'
'Waitaminute, this thing is literally a machine.'
'We are literally mechanics that are applying percussive maintenance to break this machine.'
'Therefore we need to actually do it's mechanics.'
Someone did the 'mah uptime' joke.
'yeah well doing encounters over is +100% uptime AND NO ONE WANTS THAT'

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I finished Final Steps, why does the game know the exact heart strings to pull in the clutch? About to hop in and finish up but daaaaamn

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I actually like the tigerballs phase of the Byakko fight. It's a good time to decompress and get myself ready mentally for the hell that is dodging everything whilst wildfiring.

Thundarr posted:

I'm kind of disappointed in Byakko's music. It just doesn't feel at all memorable like nearly every other primal's theme is.

I've found it, the worst opinion in this thread.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ibblebibble posted:

I actually like the tigerballs phase of the Byakko fight. It's a good time to decompress and get myself ready mentally for the hell that is dodging everything whilst wildfiring.

I don't mind it. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit shorter, or had a bit more to it, but in the end I'm fine with it. Only had a dozen or so clears so that might change if I start farming weapons.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Shoutout to Bear Puncher, what the hell is up with O7N? Like.... this seriously did not seem that hard when I did it last week! I even had to run it half a dozen times to get my drop! Now I've got tanks that can't stay upright, DPS that wilt when you breathe on them, I just took one for the team, ate the lockout, and went to bed.

My favourite part was the many times I stood in the gap between missiles only for a party member to run into one and explode me.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Ibblebibble posted:

Byakko is good but it's a really bad primal to learn because the first 5 minutes is a piss easy first phase followed by a long bullet hell sequence you can completely avoid by hugging the edge

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Maybe someone can tell me, around the third phase of the Niddy fight I would just die, but no one beside me or in the whole group did. How stupid was I?

E: granted my circle was probably covering up orange but in the off chance it wasn't thought I'd ask.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
New people usually die there in the final phase because they run their stack marker to Mars and no one follows or, more likely, they get hit by the plus shaped explosions.

Boss drops balls of fire. They detonate in a plus shape. It's not marked on the ground. Does it sound familiar? Lots of pugs take it to the face too but usually have the gear to survive. New people not so much.