Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I put washers in the bases and magnets in the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

General Olloth posted:

Confused by this post. You still have to pay the 20 points for the Dark Lance.

Whoa I’m new to this, but is this true for all models?

Like I saw Raider and its description which included “comes with a dark lance” or w/e the phrasing was, 65 points. The later section does state the Dark Lance is 20 points.

I assumed whatever was listed as coming with the model was also included in the listed price for that model.

Does this mean the venom point cost is (venom listed price) + (splinter cannon price) + (twin linked splinter rifle price)?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Like I saw Raider and its description which included “comes with a dark lance” or w/e the phrasing was, 65 points. The later section does state the Dark Lance is 20 points.

I assumed whatever was listed as coming with the model was also included in the listed price for that model.

Nope. It's all added together. That's why some weapons cost nothing.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

What kind of method do y'all use to secure magnets to the bottoms of your minis? A bunch of magnets have come off when I used cyanoacrylate glue.

I used hot glue. Its strong yet easy to remove if need be. You can dig into it with clippers to peel it off, but while it is intact it holds strong.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

how are the tau now? i've got the start collecting box, an extra box of fire warriors, a pathfinder box and one devilfish apc lying around

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Just FYI, a 7/8" steel fender washer fits perfectly into the bottom of a 25mm base. If you want more weight, stick a 1/2" washer above it. Metal on the base, magnetic sheet in the storage is absolutely the way to go.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Does this mean the venom point cost is (venom listed price) + (splinter cannon price) + (twin linked splinter rifle price)?

Correct. All units are the cost of the model + the cost of any wargear they're equipped with. In the points values tables of the codex it says "points per model (does not include wargear)". The only exception is specific named characters, where it will say "points per model (including wargear)"

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

Correct. All units are the cost of the model + the cost of any wargear they're equipped with. In the points values tables of the codex it says "points per model (does not include wargear)". The only exception is specific named characters, where it will say "points per model (including wargear)"

Except for when characters pay for their gear separate because forgeworld

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Percelus posted:

how are the tau now? i've got the start collecting box, an extra box of fire warriors, a pathfinder box and one devilfish apc lying around

They are fine outside of crisis suits and railgun hammerheads, but the jokes about codex firewarrior are not without merit. Crisis suits are too expensive for how delicate they are even with drone support, Railgun hammerheads have a single 30% better lascannon, and firewarriors are both cheap and can be buffed to the moon and back. There are some other dumb issues but they don't really affect balance too much, just flavour.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Raphus C posted:

What is this place like for conversions? I have an Ork army and most units have had work done.

No-one cares (in a good way). If it's awesome then everyone will be pleased to see it. PM me some pictures if you're worried, but as long as it's easy to tell what stuff is then there shouldn't be a problem.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anybody who gets pissy about Orky conversions is not a person you should care to play with because gently caress them, it's Orks.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

The argument is completely wrong on its face. The reason you can't move normally after deep striking or whatever is because it's done at the end of the Movement phase - i.e. the chance to move them has passed. Necrons do it during the phase, so they're eligible to move. It's as simple as that. Disembarking or not has nothing to do with it. Incidentally, the exact same applies for grav-chute insertion from a Valkyrie.

I'm liking the Necron book more the more I read it. There's some cool stuff in there. I just picked up my copy of Drukhari though and it's insane, everything in it looks awesome. I think I'm gonna spend May and June reworking my DE to fit with the new book and not bother rushing them for LGT since I think that's a format that doesn't favour them, then spend the summer and autumn on building up some Necrons. Should be some good, alien fun.

See that was my initial reaction too, but it turns out no, the reinforcements rule on page 177 of the rulebook specifically says that units set up as reinforcements cannot further move or advance in the turn, separate to the point in the phase/turn where they set up.

It’s clearly (to my mind) intended to work like a transport disembark, so I expect it to get FAQed.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

See that was my initial reaction too, but it turns out no, the reinforcements rule on page 177 of the rulebook specifically says that units set up as reinforcements cannot further move or advance in the turn, separate to the point in the phase/turn where they set up.

It’s clearly (to my mind) intended to work like a transport disembark, so I expect it to get FAQed.

Good spot. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get FAQed in that case, it's very possibly intentional.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

Good spot. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get FAQed in that case, it's very possibly intentional.

I disagree - I expect the rules writers made the same assumption that putting it at the start of the phase meant they could move as normal, and forgot that they needed to override their global rule. You could squint at the night scythe and assume that it has to be at the start of the turn so that it’s pre-fly move, but it makes no sense on monoliths.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ilor posted:

Just FYI, a 7/8" steel fender washer fits perfectly into the bottom of a 25mm base. If you want more weight, stick a 1/2" washer above it. Metal on the base, magnetic sheet in the storage is absolutely the way to go.

Where do you get them from? I haven't had much luck getting a good fit when I look.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Corrode posted:

It’s been like that since the index. The Necron community’s been pretty vocal about it, but we haven’t heard a response from GW to anyone’s petition.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where do you get them from? I haven't had much luck getting a good fit when I look.
I just went to the local hardware store. I think a box of 100 washers cost me like 4 bucks. So yeah, more expensive than just using pennies, but also useful for magnetized storage trays.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

R0ckfish posted:

They are fine outside of crisis suits and railgun hammerheads, but the jokes about codex firewarrior are not without merit. Crisis suits are too expensive for how delicate they are even with drone support, Railgun hammerheads have a single 30% better lascannon, and firewarriors are both cheap and can be buffed to the moon and back. There are some other dumb issues but they don't really affect balance too much, just flavour.

This is true, but keep in mind the Commanders aren't Crisis Suits in this discussion. Commanders are roughly fairly costed for their weapons and they can abuse the character rules to stay durable. Crisis suits pay the same for weapons and equipment but they hit half as often and die much, much faster. They're just not worth it.

Firewarriors are good. Use a bunch of firewarriors.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've always kind of wanted to run a tactically Napoleonic army with tau fire warriors, with broadsides for 'cannon' and pirahanas or suits for 'cavalry'

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

zeal posted:

i've always kind of wanted to run a tactically Napoleonic army with tau fire warriors, with broadsides for 'cannon' and pirahanas or suits for 'cavalry'

Unironically one of the better builds for tau, Sa'cea makes fusion blaster piranhas ok to good, both broadsides are good, fire warriors are amazing. You could have 3-6 broadsides, 6-12 piranhas, assorted hqs and 50-100 firewarriors in a 2k list.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
plus kroot skirmishers. that sounds hilarious

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
FB Pirahnas are the best looking tau model also fight me.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Further spooky skeletons complete:

And to reassure my previous critics about my honourable further intentions:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

No base, not finished ;)

Got my first squad of BA Scouts done for Tides. Pretty basic stuff since a) I need them done quickly and b) the models suck but hey ho.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Assuming my back isn’t hosed from painting all afternoon and evening today, tomorrow I should probably rip the plaster off and repaint three of these bad bois to a table ready standard:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

No base, not finished ;)

Got my first squad of BA Scouts done for Tides. Pretty basic stuff since a) I need them done quickly and b) the models suck but hey ho.

Looking good. I'm wondering if I can build and paint a Admech force in time...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

One_Wing posted:

Further spooky skeletons complete:

And to reassure my previous critics about my honourable further intentions:

Good looking :skeltal:bros!
If I may though, the sculpted stripe on their forehead is practically begging for a spot colour.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

Good looking :skeltal:bros!
If I may though, the sculpted stripe on their forehead is practically begging for a spot colour.

An interesting thought - I’ve been trying to keep it simple to align with my low-moderate levels of ability, but that should be within it. Perhaps a gold stripe...

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Dark Eldar codex is rad.

I'm thinking of taking 4x Kabal patrols 1x Cult patrol and 1x Coven patrol. 4x fully loaded Raiders, 20x Wyches in deep strike + 12 Reavers , and 10x Wracks for sitting on objectives and never dying.

Tied together with the Archon Party Limo, with 4x Archons and 1x Sucubus in a Venom all firing their 2+ blaster pistols out the window before disembarking and kung-fu'ing the enemy command elements.

With a full set of Court of the Archon special characters it's a neat 2000 points. It's also 160 wounds worth of meat on the table, all of which has a 6+FNP, which means that it's almost 200 wounds across the army. Essentially infinity command points. Notable when the Reavers swoop in, fire 4 blasters, and then spend 3cp to fire 'em again. And then charge at 3 attacks each for a total of 36, and then can spend another 3CP to do /that/ again. And can do that two turns in a row before you're out of CP.

Awesome.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Was doing really well against a World Eaters army until his Land Raider blew up and D6 mortal wounded half my army to death. :suicide:

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Thanqol posted:

Dark Eldar codex is rad.

I'm thinking of taking 4x Kabal patrols 1x Cult patrol and 1x Coven patrol. 4x fully loaded Raiders, 20x Wyches in deep strike + 12 Reavers , and 10x Wracks for sitting on objectives and never dying.

Tied together with the Archon Party Limo, with 4x Archons and 1x Sucubus in a Venom all firing their 2+ blaster pistols out the window before disembarking and kung-fu'ing the enemy command elements.

With a full set of Court of the Archon special characters it's a neat 2000 points. It's also 160 wounds worth of meat on the table, all of which has a 6+FNP, which means that it's almost 200 wounds across the army. Essentially infinity command points. Notable when the Reavers swoop in, fire 4 blasters, and then spend 3cp to fire 'em again. And then charge at 3 attacks each for a total of 36, and then can spend another 3CP to do /that/ again. And can do that two turns in a row before you're out of CP.

Awesome.

I’d suggest using a raider with a five-warrior squad alongside the characters for a party limo - you really don’t want to be rolling emergency disembarks for five characters without a few suckers most favoured and loyal lieutenants in the bus with them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

One_Wing posted:

An interesting thought - I’ve been trying to keep it simple to align with my low-moderate levels of ability, but that should be within it. Perhaps a gold stripe...

You seem to be following the classic Sautekh scheme here. It uses white.
Mine, I posted a picture of my immortals a few days ago, use bone, works really well with their main colour being bronze.

Turquoise might work pretty well too, as would copper/brass/bronze. Gold I feel is best saved for the 'fancier' units of higher status, like the crest on Lychguard and on (Over)lords.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What are the newest non-vehicle Necron sculpts? Think it would be fun to pick up a model with the best detail and run it through some alclad chrome. Shiniest boy.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

One_Wing posted:

I’d suggest using a raider with a five-warrior squad alongside the characters for a party limo - you really don’t want to be rolling emergency disembarks for five characters without a few suckers most favoured and loyal lieutenants in the bus with them.

Right, I'd actually misremembered the disembark rule into being mortal wounds rather than death.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Thanqol posted:

Dark Eldar codex is rad.

Awesome.

Still trying to figure out what I’m doing as I just got my hands on the old SC and planning on getting the new SC as well.

Would I be on the right path if I started painting up the Wyches as Cult of the Red Grief and the Kabalites as Kabal of the Black Heart?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harkano posted:

Still trying to figure out what I’m doing as I just got my hands on the old SC and planning on getting the new SC as well.

Would I be on the right path if I started painting up the Wyches as Cult of the Red Grief and the Kabalites as Kabal of the Black Heart?

Having watched a couple of battle reports, Red Grief + the six Reavers you now have does go together pretty well. Especially if they have Blasters/Heat Lances.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Harkano posted:

I think there are tough choices to make for which Wych and Coven affiliations/obsessions are the best for different situations.

But yeah, Black Heart seems for sure the best Kabal based on pro consensus.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

I thought each model rolled individually?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I really like you can make a Prophet of Flesh Haemonculus Warlord that just won't die. His Obsession means his Invulnerable save is 4+. Neat. He can take the Nightmare Doll which means that Inured to Pain works on a 4+. Cool. And as a Warlord trait, he can have Master Regenerist which lets him heal D3 wounds at the start of each turn. :discourse: I don't know if it's any good, but it delights me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

What are the newest non-vehicle Necron sculpts? Think it would be fun to pick up a model with the best detail and run it through some alclad chrome. Shiniest boy.

The new Cryptek from Forgebane. Other than that it's any Necron other than warriors, the update happened all at once.