Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

adamantium|wang posted:

Mandrakes won't work because they don't have <KABAL>. Nor will the Archon's Court because they don't take up an Elite slot while you have an Archon.

Yes they will - Incubi, Mandrakes, Scourges and beasts can be included in a detachment without breaking the obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

Mandrakes won't work because they don't have <KABAL>. Nor will the Archon's Court because they don't take up an Elite slot while you have an Archon.

They function exactly like Auxilia in Guard.

I'm looking forward to writing up some Drukhari lists. There's some stuff I'm missing (no planes or Mandrakes) but otherwise what I have should be pretty flexible.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

One_Wing posted:

Yes they will - Incubi, Mandrakes, Scourges and beasts can be included in a detachment without breaking the obsession.

Of course that part is under a separate loving heading :cripes: I was wondering why that wasn't the case.

But even with that it looks like you can never get a Cult brigade because there's nothing cult or neutral in Heavy Support.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Of course that part is under a separate loving heading :cripes: I was wondering why that wasn't the case.

But even with that it looks like you can never get a Cult brigade because there's nothing cult or neutral in Heavy Support.

Yeah, that’s more the sort of thing I was talking about - no concessions to making sure slots can be filled, so brigades are basically practically impossible.

I think they really were expecting tournaments to wave through 6 patrol lists. We’ll see how it goes.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ravagers are Kabal and nothing else. Planes are Kabal and Cult. Covens need to rely on Scourges and their Talos/Chronos to punch tanks and poo poo.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Wait, beasts need a Beastmaster and the beasts you take don't take up anything other than the EL slot he occupies. So DE aren't able to Brigade at all. No HS for Cults and no FA for Kabals or Covens. Looks like they really want you to Patrol it up.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Wait, beasts need a Beastmaster and the beasts you take don't take up anything other than the EL slot he occupies. So DE aren't able to Brigade at all. No HS for Cults and no FA for Kabals or Covens.

Scourges sit in the FA slot and can be taken by any, so a Kabal list can just manage it by taking 3x scourges in FA and 3x mandrakes/Incubi in elites. However, given that youd also then have to take 3 archons, you would never want to.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ok so probably no DE for LGT then since they suck. On the other hand if you want to run DE as intended then Peaceful Negotiations is the event for you!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'd be genuinely surprised if major tournaments didn't greenlight 6 patrol DE lists as long as every detachment is specifically a DE patrol.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Goddamnit why do I keep missing Scourges? Ignore me.

Well, more than you normally do.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The Mephrit stratagem sounds potentially really fun together with Tesla.

The strat gives you an extra shot to roll on an unmodified to hit of 6. The extra shot can itself not generate additional hit rolls.

Each to hit of 6+ for tesla counts as three hits.

So, theoretically, if I manage to roll two sixes followed by two sixes, a single Tesla carbine would net me 12 hits.
:science:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Been deliberating over my Admech color scheme/ Forgeworld forever but settled on this idea. I'm not massively knowledgeable on the fluff but tell me if I've hosed up.

I run a Raven Guard army too so I'm using the planet of Kiavhar as my Forgeworld which the Raven Guard base, Deliverance, orbits.

During the Heresy the Ad Mech on Kiavhar turned traitor and were put down by the Raven Guard. Technically I don't think Kiavhar in 41/42nd millennium are a full forge world, more a collection of engineering guilds overseen by the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So in reference to the Raven Guard the Skitarii will wear very dark grey robes with white linings and details. The vehicles will be white with dark grey features. Red will not feature on any of them as 'punishment' for their part in the Heresy. I might do the Tech priests in Mars red as overseers.

Does this sound reasonable fluff?

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 7, 2018

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

Ok so probably no DE for LGT then since they suck. On the other hand if you want to run DE as intended then Peaceful Negotiations is the event for you!

Eh, the units are so strong that I think a triple patrol list has every chance of being good, but every other army with such cheap units is heavily motivated to do a brigade, so it’s a bit of a shame that they can’t.

No way I’m painting a whole another army by August, but a raider, archon and nine kabalites to replace my crimson hunter and a few other things to get access to that sweet, sweet strategem is definitely on the cards.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Serotonin posted:

Perfectly reasonable. What are you thinking of a spot color?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

Perfectly reasonable. What are you thinking of a spot color?

Not sure what you mean by spot? As in accents or things like plasma weapon colours?

Was going to go with light brass colour for armour trim.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Stanyer89 posted:

Cross Post.

These are gorgeous but I always thought these were the only Imperial fists models in production?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

Eh, the units are so strong that I think a triple patrol list has every chance of being good, but every other army with such cheap units is heavily motivated to do a brigade, so it’s a bit of a shame that they can’t.

No way I’m painting a whole another army by August, but a raider, archon and nine kabalites to replace my crimson hunter and a few other things to get access to that sweet, sweet strategem is definitely on the cards.

You can't take triple Patrol to LGT either though? No duplicate detachments of any type.

Eifert Posting posted:

These are gorgeous but I always thought these were the only Imperial fists models in production?

gently caress yoooooooou

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Potentially stupid question :

quote:

roll a D6 each time you spend a Command Point to use a Stratagem; on a 5+ that Command Point is immediately refunded.
If I use a stratagem that costs 3, do I roll three times, once for each point spent?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Groetgaffel posted:

Potentially stupid question :

If I use a stratagem that costs 3, do I roll three times, once for each point spent?

Yes. There's two types of phrasing for these abilities, and the one you've quoted means that you roll for each CP you used.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

You can't take triple Patrol to LGT either though? No duplicate detachments of any type.

Bugger, yeah, completely blanked on that. I think you can mayyybeee manage a Kabal battalion, wych outrider and Haemoculus patrol and not have to take anything completely horrible, other than mandatory 2 Archons being faintly awkward.

I think you’re basically trying to get in:

Lots of kabalites in transports
One unit of 20 deep striking wyches with +1 s drug (probably cult of strife)
One unit of 12 reavers with +1 t drug
One unit of 10 wracks (happily prophets of flesh is already best home for these, as you get the 4++ and the good strategem).

You can get all of that into the above if you take a couple of additional 3 bike reaver units, which are acceptable objective grabbers, so you end up paying for about 150 pts of “tax” units you didn’t necessarily want in the second archon and the extra bikes, but that’s probably OK? Everything’s so drat cheap anyway that you’ll still have a terrifying number of good units on the board.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Corrode posted:

Yes. There's two types of phrasing for these abilities, and the one you've quoted means that you roll for each CP you used.

Cool thanks. That's what I figured, but I wasn't 100% certain.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Serotonin posted:

Been deliberating over my Admech color scheme/ Forgeworld forever but settled on this idea. I'm not massively knowledgeable on the fluff but tell me if I've hosed up.

I run a Raven Guard army too so I'm using the planet of Kiavhar as my Forgeworld which the Raven Guard base, Deliverance, orbits.

During the Heresy the Ad Mech on Kiavhar turned traitor and were put down by the Raven Guard. Technically I don't think Kiavhar in 41/42nd millennium are a full forge world, more a collection of engineering guilds overseen by the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So in reference to the Raven Guard the Skitarii will wear very dark grey robes with white linings and details. The vehicles will be white with dark grey features. Red will not feature on any of them as 'punishment' for their part in the Heresy. I might do the Tech priests in Mars red as overseers.

This sounds cool as hell! I like the idea of the skitarii being cut off from Holy Mars as a form of punishment.

Do you know what trait you’ll give them? Sounds like Graia would be right up their alley. Standing and fighting to the last man, trying to earn forgiveness.

I usually scoff when people don’t have any red in their AdMech (because I love mars) but that backstory is awesome.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Corrode posted:

There's every chance they'll FAQ "units brought in via the Night Scythe can't charge either" but honestly I don't think it's too bad - it's very easy to screen out and it's a big points investment to pull off. Especially when you have infiltrating Cultist blobs in the world or Dragoons slingshotting across, putting 600ish pts into a gimmick like this is pretty tame in comparison.

Also worth pointing out that the Deceiver himself doesn't have to move, so you can just use the D3 and put the Night Scythe forwards without slinging him up there too, which is less dangerous for the Necron player.

I'm seeing a lot of shitposting where people argue that Necrons can't move after disembarking, but Night Scythes have always been "Wacky Exceptions, The Transport." It seems super obvious that they're the catch-all Necron transport but it just doesn't have the keyword because they are just vectors for teleportation beams 'porting in from the Tomb World. The key thing is that they disembark at the beginning of the Movement phase, before the Night Scythe moves, just like other transports.

No response when I indicate this besides repeating "no keyword no 'disembark.'" Teleporting in via an Independence Day space ship to bring Mars Attacks Terminators marching forward onto the field is way more awesome than not :colbert:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm seeing a lot of shitposting where people argue that Necrons can't move after disembarking, but Night Scythes have always been "Wacky Exceptions, The Transport." It seems super obvious that they're the catch-all Necron transport but it just doesn't have the keyword because they are just vectors for teleportation beams 'porting in from the Tomb World. The key thing is that they disembark at the beginning of the Movement phase, before the Night Scythe moves, just like other transports.

No response when I indicate this besides repeating "no keyword no 'disembark.'" Teleporting in via an Independence Day space ship to bring Mars Attacks Terminators marching forward onto the field is way more awesome than not :colbert:

The argument is completely wrong on its face. The reason you can't move normally after deep striking or whatever is because it's done at the end of the Movement phase - i.e. the chance to move them has passed. Necrons do it during the phase, so they're eligible to move. It's as simple as that. Disembarking or not has nothing to do with it. Incidentally, the exact same applies for grav-chute insertion from a Valkyrie.

I'm liking the Necron book more the more I read it. There's some cool stuff in there. I just picked up my copy of Drukhari though and it's insane, everything in it looks awesome. I think I'm gonna spend May and June reworking my DE to fit with the new book and not bother rushing them for LGT since I think that's a format that doesn't favour them, then spend the summer and autumn on building up some Necrons. Should be some good, alien fun.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Jesus, guys. Stop talking about how awesome Drukhari and Necrons are!

I am weak willed and trying to stick to my gaming budget! :smith:

I am glad they look so pretty good now! More variance helps the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, if Reavers are that cheap I have a buddy who will look at his Ork Warbikes and weep bitter tears openly in the game store.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Zuul the Cat posted:

This sounds cool as hell! I like the idea of the skitarii being cut off from Holy Mars as a form of punishment.

Do you know what trait you’ll give them? Sounds like Graia would be right up their alley. Standing and fighting to the last man, trying to earn forgiveness.

I usually scoff when people don’t have any red in their AdMech (because I love mars) but that backstory is awesome.

Cheers.

Not decided on a trait yet. Stygies VIII sort of fits because it matches Raven Guard but I really like your idea of the forgiveness theme

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Somebody please talk me out of buying two more battlewagons for my ork army.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Has anyone had good experience with Reivers?

I have 10, built 5 with knives and 5 with guns. I am Primaris only, so I don't have any other melee troops (other than 6 Aggressors).

Edit: ^^^ Orks might get huge update this year. Save your money?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Arven posted:

Somebody please talk me out of buying two more battlewagons for my ork army.

Wait until the codex drops if you already have some--go for units you don't have yet, if you must make purchases.

Better yet, paint stuff you already have.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Regarding AdMech transport: here’s my solution. Plastic bin and some sheet metal.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Has anyone had good experience with Reivers?

I have 10, built 5 with knives and 5 with guns. I am Primaris only, so I don't have any other melee troops (other than 6 Aggressors).

Nobody ever seems to believe me but I get a ton of use out of carbine Reivers with my Blood Angels. They’re a really great skirmisher that you can easily drop onto an objective or on top of some mid field ruins and turn into a gigantic nuisance.

In one particularly memorable game I dropped them onto an objective in some cover in my opponents deployment zone. The mission gave a victory point at the end of each of our turns for each objective we controlled. The Reivers then proceeded to tank multiple turns of shooting from my opponents Guard including multiple Leman Russ while at the same time denying the Guard player points and giving them to me. They’re unique in the marine codex for their blend of durability, deep strike capacity and point efficiency. I have never regretted taking them.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

Regarding AdMech transport: here’s my solution. Plastic bin and some sheet metal.

This is exactly what I've done for my Death Guard. Too many spikes for foam!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Fake James posted:

This is exactly what I've done for my Death Guard. Too many spikes for foam!

What kind of method do y'all use to secure magnets to the bottoms of your minis? A bunch of magnets have come off when I used cyanoacrylate glue.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, I'm kind of perplexed by fancy foam cases, magnets and sheet metal is pretty cheap, maybe treat yourself and get a tote with wheels.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

What kind of method do y'all use to secure magnets to the bottoms of your minis? A bunch of magnets have come off when I used cyanoacrylate glue.

I file one side of the magnets, so there is something for the glue to hold on to.

I just use my little hobby files. As a bonus, they stick to the file, so I know where the prepared magnet is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I already have a bunch of old, regular Space Marines stuff and want to add some Primaris marines, are the different parts of the Dark Imperium box good purchases? I know I won't get, like, all the bits that come in the regular box but they're a third of the price on ebay and seem to have the weapons I'd want anyway.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

UK goons - I'm TOing a tournament in August, held at mine and Serotonin's local. 5 games at 2k, 3 unique detachments (Dark Eldar ruling pending), should be a good time. If you're interested in attending the rulespack is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLFU7YHKocQqUpVOXwaBxK-G2naZWcB1/view

What is this place like for conversions? I have an Ork army and most units have had work done.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I almost always glue magnets with 2-part epoxy instead of CA glue. It's much more resistant to shock and is less brittle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I tried the sheet metal + magnets thing and it was a miserable pain in the dick on the table top, moving 20-30 termagants and if they got too close to each other the magnets would stick. I'm working in the opposite direction. Magnets on the storage container, covered with a layer of resin, and then since I'm custom casting all my bases anyway I put ball bearings in them and let that stick to the magnets.