Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

This is why lawyers should never represent their own interests. It's always a lovely idea. You should always seek independent legal advice in matters that require legal advice, even if you yourself are qualified to provide legal advice.

See also whatever the gently caress is going on with Bad Faith still having Virgil on the branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

For some reason I thought “THOMAS SMITH, an individual” was a nom de plume. Can you sue under one if that were the case?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

To me the wildest revelation is that a legal podcast helmed by a corporate contract lawyer only ever bothered with a verbal "50/50" agreement.

It's an example of peak Lawyer Brain that at every step in the process Andrew Torrez has apparently done the exact opposite of what he, as a lawyer, would presumably be advising his client to do.

I imagine that a large part of being a lawyer is having emotional distance from the situation and being able to keep your client from doing things that feel good/soothe their ego but won't actually help them legally. When you're your own lawyer you don't have that part of it.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

this is gonna sound silly, but i'm genuinely curious - would it be a good idea for spock to represent himself legally?

e: assuming he had a JD and was a good lawyer.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pencilhands posted:

this is gonna sound silly, but i'm genuinely curious - would it be a good idea for spock to represent himself legally?

No

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Only if the jurisdiction is in the per se us cluster

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is starfleet under admiralty law

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

haveblue posted:

Is starfleet under admiralty law

Good question, I don't believe their flag has golden tassels though....

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pencilhands posted:

I think it tends to annoy the judge so that alone would be a reason not to probably

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The justices sound skeptical about student loan relief but what the gently caress is it SCOCUS's lane if it's a trillion or not?

"A trillion dollars here, a trillion dollars there, doesn't make much difference to Congress"

Yeah so what? I don't care if it is a 69 gorillion dollars, the Congress wrote the law.
I know it's oral arguments and all and often it is just reading tea leaves, but goddamnit Alito's comment made me mad.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pencilhands posted:

Vulcans are coldly logically until they're not. That's their whole thing, that they are seething with emotions under the façade. Absolutely should not represent himself

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 1, 2023

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vahakyla posted:

The justices sound skeptical about student loan relief but what the gently caress is it SCOCUS's lane if it's a trillion or not?

"A trillion dollars here, a trillion dollars there, doesn't make much difference to Congress"

Yeah so what? I don't care if it is a 69 gorillion dollars, the Congress wrote the law.
I know it's oral arguments and all and often it is just reading tea leaves, but goddamnit Alito's comment made me mad.

"Major question doctrine" is intentionally absurd the same way textualism is. It's only meant to sound good, it isn't meant to be consistently applied, it's just a shield to get to the result you want.

The more hypocritical part of today is the standing issue. They are almost certain to kill the suit by the two borrowers, their claim of injury and redress are laughably thin. But the states suit should be killed too before it even got to them. The only entity that arguably was affected was MOHELA, and as even Barrett pointed out, they weren't even there and Missouri was trying to bootstrap their own standing despite: the agency being legally independent, and the agency standing to make money to implement the forgiveness.

They are going to have to create a new standing doctrine to get to the actual merits and suddenly widen the amount of political lawsuits the federal courts will have to deal with.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Vulcans are coldly logically until they're not. That's they're whole thing, that they are seething with emotions under the façade. Absolutely should not represent himself

Major background plot feature of newest trek series, brave new world, is the arm of Vulcan justice that goes out to deal with Vulcans who've permanently lost their poo poo and are now terrorists and mass murderers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spock represented himself in family court on his home planet that one time.

I think it went fine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vahakyla posted:

The conservatives have their decision (kill student debt relief) and are working backwards for justification. They can't rely on a textualism argument because Biden would win in a 9-0 ruling if they actually went off of how the law's written.

The SCOTUS knows no POTUS has the balls to call them on their bullshit with a "gently caress your ruling we're doing X" response because that would mean addressing the ever-growing issue of how absolutely hosed and out of control the judiciary is.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pook Good Mook posted:

"Major question doctrine" is intentionally absurd the same way textualism is. It's only meant to sound good, it isn't meant to be consistently applied, it's just a shield to get to the result you want.

The more hypocritical part of today is the standing issue. They are almost certain to kill the suit by the two borrowers, their claim of injury and redress are laughably thin. But the states suit should be killed too before it even got to them. The only entity that arguably was affected was MOHELA, and as even Barrett pointed out, they weren't even there and Missouri was trying to bootstrap their own standing despite: the agency being legally independent, and the agency standing to make money to implement the forgiveness.

They are going to have to create a new standing doctrine to get to the actual merits and suddenly widen the amount of political lawsuits the federal courts will have to deal with.

We might actually get the loan relief not because the conservative justices think its a good idea, but because they have no way to actually kill the order without creating a lot more work for themselves in the future

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

We might actually get the loan relief not because the conservative justices think its a good idea, but because they have no way to actually kill the order without creating a lot more work for themselves in the future

What work?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deny cert

Deny cert

Deny cert

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Devor posted:

Deny cert

Deny cert

Deny cert

That’s fine until there’s a circuit split because lower courts have no idea how to implement the inconsistent standards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AtomikKrab posted:

Bold to assume they're worried about long term consequences.

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s fine until there’s a circuit split because lower courts have no idea how to implement the inconsistent standards.

At which point they issue a ruling of "do X but not Y (because we like X and gently caress Y)" to further bend the country in the direction they've been pushing for decades.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

At which point they issue a ruling of "do X but not Y (because we like X and gently caress Y)" to further bend the country in the direction they've been pushing for decades.

Roberts cares enough about this stuff to not go along with striking it down. He just needs someone else. Gorsuch?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

hobbesmaster posted:

Won't the Major Question doctrine basically always be in the DC circuit

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The only conservative who seemed to have any issue with striking it down during recent arguments was Barrett and in her case it was because she doubts the plaintiffs have standing to bring the case to begin with (they don't, but the other 5 don't seem to care).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only conservative who seemed to have any issue with striking it down during recent arguments was Barrett and in her case it was because she doubts the plaintiffs have standing to bring the case to begin with (they don't, but the other 5 don't seem to care).

My partner listening to the oral arguments and I asked her, if the conservative argument is that SOMONE BENEFITS aren't they opening up a bunch of people to sue for every program they don't like?

My guess from all the analysis is that Roberts doesn't strike down the law but says Congress has to fix it and of course lol.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Barrett and Gorsuch seemed extremely skeptical of the 2nd case with the two borrowers and their standing and claims for relief. Gorsuch telegraphed that he also has a problem with the District Court's ruling that took two claims of injury and used it to nuke the whole program. The two borrowers claims are also ludicrous, arguing that even though we don't qualify, if they kill the program, they might try a new and magical program that maybe we can benefit from. That's WAY too far afield on the issue of redressability for even the lunatics on the SCOTUS. I got the feeling the second case was on there just to be killed.

The first case though is more iffy. Barrett was clearly skepitcal that MOHELA would even have standing, and if they did, why the hell aren't they there. The idea that a state can act on behalf of an autonomous entity that they don't have any statutory or funding oversight over was clearly iffy. And even Barrett pointed out that MOHELA stands to make money implementing the forgiveness.

IF the program survives, it will be on the standing question and it will be Gorsuch, Barrett, and maybe Roberts that rule the plaintiffs don't have standing. If they get over the hump to the merits however, there is no way that Roberts votes to save the program. He's in love with the "Major Questions" doctrine and this case is exactly the type of thing they had in mind when they invented it. I don't see how its any closer than 6-3 on merits.

The problem the Conservatives are going to have on the standing question is that either case will create a new class of plaintiffs. The first case with the states is more palatable, but it will still create an entirely new class of plaintiffs that will come pouring into federal courts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

My partner listening to the oral arguments and I asked her, if the conservative argument is that SOMONE BENEFITS aren't they opening up a bunch of people to sue for every program they don't like?

I keep hearing this as a reason the court will dismiss the suit but I'm skeptical myself.

Wouldn't some GOP-funded lawsuits against every government program, giving the supreme court an opportunity to usurp congress and legislate for the country themselves with no accountability or restraint be like... exactly what they would love more than anything?

E: yeah they could have done this for years and didn't, but it would have been risky with a 5-4 court because one badly timed election loss might flip it, but they just hit the jackpot and got 3 seats in 4 years so it's very unlikely they'll have to worry about what a liberal majority will do with their precedents

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 1, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

My guess from all the analysis is that Roberts doesn't strike down the law but says Congress has to fix it and of course lol.

The conservative argument from SCOTUS's side isn't necessarily "SOMEONE BENEFITS" so much as it's "if Congress had meant to give anywhere near this much benefit to this many people, they probably would have said so in the original law Biden is trying to stretch here". Which isn't a terribly unreasonable argument, unfortunately.

The real questions at hand were whether the Court is going to let Biden exploit Congress's mistakes or step in to correct them, as well as whether anyone could convince the Court they had standing to get involved in the first place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah that too. Biden asked congress to pass debt forgiveness and they declined even when his party controlled both houses so kinda hard to argue debt forgiveness was their intent. Whereas like, food stamps or PPP loan forgiveness the intent was clear.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Barrett and Gorsuch seemed extremely skeptical of the 2nd case with the two borrowers and their standing and claims for relief. Gorsuch telegraphed that he also has a problem with the District Court's ruling that took two claims of injury and used it to nuke the whole program. The two borrowers claims are also ludicrous, arguing that even though we don't qualify, if they kill the program, they might try a new and magical program that maybe we can benefit from. That's WAY too far afield on the issue of redressability for even the lunatics on the SCOTUS. I got the feeling the second case was on there just to be killed.

The first case though is more iffy. Barrett was clearly skepitcal that MOHELA would even have standing, and if they did, why the hell aren't they there. The idea that a state can act on behalf of an autonomous entity that they don't have any statutory or funding oversight over was clearly iffy. And even Barrett pointed out that MOHELA stands to make money implementing the forgiveness.

IF the program survives, it will be on the standing question and it will be Gorsuch, Barrett, and maybe Roberts that rule the plaintiffs don't have standing. If they get over the hump to the merits however, there is no way that Roberts votes to save the program. He's in love with the "Major Questions" doctrine and this case is exactly the type of thing they had in mind when they invented it. I don't see how its any closer than 6-3 on merits.

The problem the Conservatives are going to have on the standing question is that either case will create a new class of plaintiffs. The first case with the states is more palatable, but it will still create an entirely new class of plaintiffs that will come pouring into federal courts.

That isn't Taylor and Brown's claim. Their claim is that they suffered a procedural injury and that doing the program under HEA would redress that. Their argument is that by using the HEROES Act, they didn't get a chance for notice and comment. In oral arguments, their lawyer was asked if Biden hadn't used HEROES if he would've used the HEA, and their lawyer said the debt relief program would be covered by HEA and the Biden admin almost certainly would've used that (and I think he's right about that part at least). If anything, I'd say they have a way better argument for standing than Missouri/Nebraska do, but SCOTUS is a mess so who knows.

Also, to me, ACB didn't seem skeptical that MOHELA would have standing. The SG even pointed out right at the start that MOHELA would have standing. Barrett seemed to be getting pretty annoyed at the Nebraska AG not having a good answer for why isn't MOHELA a party, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Actually I just remembered that Alito and Thomas and Gorsuch are textualists so congress' intent doesn't actually matter, they'll have to rule for Biden if they get to the merits

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that too. Biden asked congress to pass debt forgiveness and they declined even when his party controlled both houses so kinda hard to argue debt forgiveness was their intent. Whereas like, food stamps or PPP loan forgiveness the intent was clear.

I see that argument, but I disagree strongly with it. Just because a current Congress doesn't pass a new law doesn't say anything about the validity of an action under an old law passed by an old Congress. Plus it disincentivizes the President from trying to work through Congress which strikes me as bad.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Dopilsya posted:

I see that argument, but I disagree strongly with it. Just because a current Congress doesn't pass a new law doesn't say anything about the validity of an action under an old law passed by an old Congress. Plus it disincentivizes the President from trying to work through Congress which strikes me as bad.

If it's any consolation (it isn't to borrowers), you can once again lay you blame at feckless cowardly Democrats who could have passed this but didn't.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

If it's any consolation (it isn't to borrowers), you can once again lay you blame at feckless cowardly Democrats who could have passed this but didn't.

Lol yeah, it's not any consolation to me, but I do lay a lot of blame on Dems who are gonna cost me $10k through their cowardice when it probably would've gotten them a metric fuckton of votes if they'd just sacked up and passed it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean we're essentially at the point where Dems are the ones refusing to break the filibuster and pass things that people want, and the courts are going to keep sending rights back to Congress where they will die and nobody will mention it again

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dopilsya posted:

Yeah I would tend to agree, in a theoretical world.

Although practically speaking, the congresses were mostly the same people, so they probably didn't intend that since they're still opposed to loan forgiveness.

Or maybe they did at the time, you could argue that it was an emergency and they gave the president the power during a dire time when it looked like the economy might collapse at any second without massive intervention, maybe they were willing to let the president do whatever it might take including loan forgiveness, and if congress really wants to say takesies backsies now they could always repeal that part of the HEROES Act and they haven't sooo

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean we're essentially at the point where Dems are the ones refusing to break the filibuster and pass things that people want, and the courts are going to keep sending rights back to Congress where they will die and nobody will mention it again

They wouldn't have even needed to break the filibuster, they could have passed it in the budget bill through reconciliation.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Pook Good Mook posted:

They wouldn't have even needed to break the filibuster, they could have passed it in the budget bill through reconciliation.

And what? Offset 500 billion from elsewhere in the budget?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Congress also once explicitly considered the idea of Qualified Immunity and decided "no we don't want this" and dropped the idea, only for the courts to later create it as a judicial law themselves. At the end of the day, Congress's intent and desires are irrelevant to what the court wants to do because the other two branches have repeatedly shown that they will never crack down on judicial abuse. Especially at high levels.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I would tend to agree, in a theoretical world.

Although practically speaking, the congresses were mostly the same people, so they probably didn't intend that since they're still opposed to loan forgiveness.

Or maybe they did at the time, you could argue that it was an emergency and they gave the president the power during a dire time when it looked like the economy might collapse at any second without massive intervention, maybe they were willing to let the president do whatever it might take including loan forgiveness, and if congress really wants to say takesies backsies now they could always repeal that part of the HEROES Act and they haven't sooo

That seems surprising, I would've imagined that over the past couple of decades since HEROES was passed that a good chunk of those old fucks have died or retired. Then again I suppose Feinstein's been in there since 1867 or whatever so probably a bunch of them are clinging to life and power.

ln any event, my line of thinking is the only question that should matter is if the statute is valid for it or not. Whether some other debt relief plan happened I don't think should have any bearing on it, but I also take a more textual line in interpretation. I think your reading of the act is a lot more expansive than how I read it, but I thought SG Prelogar made a very good case why the debt relief program here is a valid use of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Wasn't there some concern that it would run afoul of the parliamentarian or something?