Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Asimo posted:

As someone who's still leveling BLM, uh, when are you supposed to use Flare anyway? It's a bit obvious later on when you have the umbral hearts to reduce the MP cost, but what about before or besides then? All I can think of is to use it, hit convert, then immediately hit blizzard 3 to start getting mana back, but people seem to be using it a lot more than that and I am stupid. :saddowns:

All of these other people have been giving you tips and very thorough explanations, but the only answer is As Much As You loving Can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Xun posted:

RDM is a pretty simple class and idk what you’re reading that makes it sound super hard. Here is a chart that basically explains the whole class (on phone and I can’t figure out how to get to the original to embed)

https://m.imgur.com/r/ffxiv/rrGZKyG

For the lower levels you will always have jolt/verareo/verthunder/the first melee attack for your baseline caster/melee rotations. As you go up in levels you just kind of fill in the various procs till you get the full chart.

Yeah, red mage is one of those classes that feels pretty ' feature complete' at level 50. The basic rotation is in place, and 50-70 just progressively adds cooldowns and some AOE abilities.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Sarrisan posted:

FF14 is a simple game, and so are it's classes. If you just wanna do okay in dungeons and normal mode trials then all you need to do is read tooltips and follow what seems logical. Do combos. Press OGCD abilities when they are up. Keep your GCD rolling and try not to spend too much time standing around doing nothing. This will get you 70-80% of every class you might wanna play.

Thanks. I'll keep the "do combos and weave in oGCDs" advice in mind. It's comforting to know that my initial approach so far has been more or less correct!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kuvo posted:

they didn't use any DoTs :ssh:

The lack on DoTs was something, but I was initially like "I see no Bio III, but if that 0% translates to a 0.9 or something like that, he at least tried to use Miasma III once, somewhere."

But even for someone who doesn't use DoTs on the DoT class, I still find it more bewildering that said person isn't going to summon a loving Dragon to fire laser blasts even once in the dungeon.

But then I remembered that I was thinking Kugane Castle, and not Doma.

Yeah, that's just bad.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Time to go body slam a painting.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Coughing Hobo posted:

All of these other people have been giving you tips and very thorough explanations, but the only answer is As Much As You loving Can

Preach it, brother

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

I decided to make my DRK look like a DRK.

Need to change the hair though.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I had a tank last night who did a ready check and a 15 second countdown before each boss in a dungeon (Snowcloak). I wanted to scream.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Rosalind posted:

I had a tank last night who did a ready check and a 15 second countdown before each boss in a dungeon (Snowcloak). I wanted to scream.

Jeeze. I do that for raids but for dungeons I just dive into it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ready checks for dungeon bosses are generally just time wasters . Charging straight into a primal or raid boss without warning risks loving up my opener (Kefka :orks:) and making me shout rude words at my monitor.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Griz posted:

I got Susano normal in trial roulette today

the drg's skill breakdown:

Where are you guys getting these graphs from?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MelvinBison posted:

Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT). It's the go to parser for PC players.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Advanced Combat Tracker aka ACT, it is a dps tracker.

e;fb: :arghfist:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Isn't there a breakpoint for when you want to Fire II over Flare, in regards to number of targets?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Concurred posted:

Isn't there a breakpoint for when you want to Fire II over Flare, in regards to number of targets?

You only fire II when you have to burn off MP so that you can start flaring.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Concurred posted:

Yes but it's high enough that you don't have to really worry about it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Honestly, just reading the tool tips will give you what you need to play adequately. That's part of what's so frustrating about people who don't. It's a boss with no adds. Why are you casting Katon? Guides are what you need for optimization. That's why they're only there for 70. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have guides for how you play at 50 and 60, but honestly, it doesn't matter as much as you hope it does.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Concurred posted:

At minimum flare will do 78 potency vs fire II's 80. Since the earlier targets are still taking 260, 221, 182, 143 and 104, respectively, flare will always do more damage unless you're hitting every mob on the server.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Chaosfirev posted:

I decided to make my DRK look like a DRK.

Need to change the hair though.

no you don't that hair is perfect

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I hadn't really thought about it before, but since Jump and Dragonfire Dive move you to the center of the target's hitbox, aren't they basically suicidal to use at any point during Byakko's ball phases?

Also, my static on Aether still needs a tank since the one we found last week was a dick. We're fun loving nerds doing o7s prog and we want you to join us! Let me know if you are a lonely tank who wants friends to help you beat up paintings and big dumb robots.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

I hadn't really thought about it before, but since Jump and Dragonfire Dive move you to the center of the target's hitbox, aren't they basically suicidal to use at any point during Byakko's ball phases?

Also, my static on Aether still needs a tank since the one we found last week was a dick. We're fun loving nerds doing o7s prog and we want you to join us! Let me know if you are a lonely tank who wants friends to help you beat up paintings and big dumb robots.

They move you to the nearest edge of the target, not the center. Plus the balls seem to only hit you on server ticks? Or maybe they aren't active for a little bit after appearing? At any rate jumping is completely safe there.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

SonicRulez posted:

Honestly, just reading the tool tips will give you what you need to play adequately. That's part of what's so frustrating about people who don't. It's a boss with no adds. Why are you casting Katon? Guides are what you need for optimization. That's why they're only there for 70. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have guides for how you play at 50 and 60, but honestly, it doesn't matter as much as you hope it does.

Most of the jobs are pretty straightforward via reading tooltips. Dragoon, Samurai and Summoner haven't gotten me yelled at by anyone, but Black Mage... Black Mage is a little bit opaque even early on, if you're not used to the flow of dungeons and the expectations of other players. Or if you just kind of suck, like I do. After the dressing-down I got for bad AoEing and overuse of Blizzard in early dungeons, my instinct is now to try to find class advice online before I hop in any dungeon queues. It would be nice if my searches more easily turned up some guides that taught not just the 70 opener and rotation but how to play while leveling.

There seems to be a knowledge gap in online resources, between the stuff that just lists the skills and the stuff for raiding. I've picked up a lot of what I'm supposed to do by reading this thread and getting tips from other players, and it would be nice if more of that was consolidated somewhere obvious. I don't really want to join a Discord channel and ask questions, I just want to read some stuff that'll get me up to speed on common knowledge.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't even know how some of these people make as far as they do. Like, every now and then I'll see an ice mage, or a bard using quick nock spam on bosses and it's just baffling. I want to get inside these peoples' heads and try to understand why they're pressing the buttons they do, because it's like they never read their tooltips or experimented at all with their attacks.

I can kind of understand it with casters, since in a lot of games Fire 3 or Medica 2 would just be better versions of the base spell, but man you'd have to be blind not to notice that they function completely differently in this game.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT). It's the go to parser for PC players.

Maguoob posted:

Advanced Combat Tracker aka ACT, it is a dps tracker.

e;fb: :arghfist:
Thank you. I'll have to look into this.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

At minimum flare will do 78 potency vs fire II's 80. Since the earlier targets are still taking 260, 221, 182, 143 and 104, respectively, flare will always do more damage unless you're hitting every mob on the server.

Go on...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FeatherFloat posted:

Most of the jobs are pretty straightforward via reading tooltips. Dragoon, Samurai and Summoner haven't gotten me yelled at by anyone, but Black Mage... Black Mage is a little bit opaque even early on, if you're not used to the flow of dungeons and the expectations of other players.

It's really not. They even spell it out for you in early class quests.

Use fire until no MP, use ice until full MP, use fire again. The changes from there are pretty minor and are completely organic as you level until you hit 60, in which lol good loving luck go hit on a target dummy for a bit while you figure it out.

e: I give a free pass for getting the AoE rotation wrong though I admit the correct use of flare isn't very straightforward.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Basically what I'm saying is,

If I can figure out BLM without any help there's really no excuse because I'm a giant dummy

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I want to say there might actually be a cap on how many mobs can be hit with a single spell, so...

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

So I just hit 60 in my WVR Wednesday and I'm still in 54-57 Ramie Crafting gear. All the Bloodhemp stuff is too hard to craft, I only have 700k gil, no scrips, and moogle quests don't give good XP. Should I stick to 58 levequests until I can buy 61 vendor gear? Should I bother dishing out for ironworks? Are there more options I'm not seeing? I could work on my 55 GSM in the meantime...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Concurred posted:

So I just hit 60 in my WVR Wednesday and I'm still in 54-57 Ramie Crafting gear. All the Bloodhemp stuff is too hard to craft, I only have 700k gil, no scrips, and moogle quests don't give good XP. Should I stick to 58 levequests until I can buy 61 vendor gear? Should I bother dishing out for ironworks? Are there more options I'm not seeing? I could work on my 55 GSM in the meantime...

HQ Daily GC turn ins will get oyu a good chunk of you 60 to 61 XP.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

It would be nice to have some immediate feed back if you were playing wrong besides the mob dying slower which is relative to a person. But nope! Can't have meters because that's not fair to console players and people are very rude to bad players!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Renegret posted:

And the Conjurer class quest tells you to do stuff other than heal, and look how well that worked! :v:

To my credit, I did immediately figure out the fire/ice switching thing. But Fire 3 showed up and didn't have an immediately obvious use, and when I still wasn't comfortable with the controls I didn't hit the buttons for AoE stuff properly... I haven't taken BLM past 36 or so because it feels so slow and boring and unintuitive compared to other classes I've played.

Most classes are not hard! But if I can trip over the low bar of competence now and then, I can easily imagine there are some people that will never have any hope of getting a clue. I can also easily imagine these people getting carried via dungeon roulette or friends, stubbornly bashing their head against the solo content, and digging in their heels at the idea of maybe taking some advice from others. We don't pay their sub, etc etc.

More detailed low-level guides might not help them, but I would sure have appreciated them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Renegret posted:

Use fire until no MP, use ice until full MP, use fire again. The changes from there are pretty minor and are completely organic as you level until you hit 60, in which lol good loving luck go hit on a target dummy for a bit while you figure it out.

e: I give a free pass for getting the AoE rotation wrong though I admit the correct use of flare isn't very straightforward.

Yeah, the basics seemed pretty intuitive for me playing BLM as my first job. I think there might have been something that tripped me up around 40-50 with fire3/blizzard3, but it's been awhile. Enoch was definitely hard to get used to initially.

Blizzard 2 and freeze are still kind of oddball spells. I almost think Blizzard 2 should be at target to match Fire 2.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybFvTcAOf4

Outdated but the ideas the same, push more explosion.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 9, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Weird that you linked to a video that's just 12 minutes of tv static but good on ya!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just play bard and get drunk or whatever while playing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress I'm getting back into crafting more seriously now, and it's awkward coming back when everything is like mid 30s and my gatherers are in the 40s and I have no idea what I'm doing now :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, the basics seemed pretty intuitive for me playing BLM as my first job. I think there might have been something that tripped me up around 40-50 with fire3/blizzard3, but it's been awhile. Enoch was definitely hard to get used to initially.

Blizzard 2 and freeze are still kind of oddball spells. I almost think Blizzard 2 should be at target to match Fire 2.

Nah Blizz 2 and Freeze are super straightforward spells to learn how to use.

The first step is to click the skills on your bar. While holding left click, move your mouse in a direction away from your skill bars. Finally, while hovering dead space, release left click.

Congratulations! You have now used Freeze properly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FeatherFloat posted:

And the Conjurer class quest tells you to do stuff other than heal, and look how well that worked! :v

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Looking for suggestions on SMN book glamours to aim for

I want the coolest book