Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Major props to him for not using a POS LS motor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Major props to him for not using a POS LS motor

:allears:

Please, tell us how the LS is a garbage design compared to the EJs. I need a good loving laugh today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://barnfinds.com/ran-1977-amc-van-concept/

loving rad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You get to a point where you just have to ignore the outrageous poo poo our outspoken angry Aussie says and go about your day.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That is awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The 2 in MR2 is for two-seater. That's why it didn't ship with a 2-cyl :ssh:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I think Hugh might have been getting it confused with this one.

:barf:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

1000hp 2jz with no intercooler

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
but y tho

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to guess it's running on meth or E85 and probably values response over power with short run times.

e: O, that's Daigo's JZX100. yeah, it's running on methanol.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 16, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I was going to say methanol. Indy cars make that kind of power without intercoolers too.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm going to guess it's running on meth or E85 and probably values response over power with short run times.

e: O, that's Daigo's JZX100. yeah, it's running on methanol.

yah thats the one

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jamal posted:

Yeah I was going to say methanol. Indy cars make that kind of power without intercoolers too.

They don't use methanol anymore though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
how long can you safely run something like that?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Thief posted:

Until you cant

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Thief posted:

If you design it for methanol and tune it for methanol... until you run out of methanol? Champ cars used to often finish, for example, the Indy 500. ;)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

They don't use methanol anymore though.

E85 these days, which is more like methanol and less like pump gas or race gas in terms of charge cooling.

They also run surprisingly little boost. The highest is just shy of 10 psi during push to pass. Regular road course is 7.25 psi, short ovals is 5.8, and only 4.35 at superspeedways.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

E85 these days, which is more like methanol and less like pump gas or race gas in terms of charge cooling.

They also run surprisingly little boost. The highest is just shy of 10 psi during push to pass. Regular road course is 7.25 psi, short ovals is 5.8, and only 4.35 at superspeedways.

Wow, way lower than I expected. I should probably look those engines up cause now I'm wondering about what RPM and CR, how much power they make, etc.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They also run two turbos. I'm sure if it was one the boost would definitely be higher.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Even in the Champ Car years, it was pretty low. 40 inches of mercury absolute in 1998, which works out to 5psi over atmospheric pressure. In the last few years before CART went to the Cosworth XF-E and then disappeared, boost was down even further.

... also why would boost be higher with a single turbo?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

Even in the Champ Car years, it was pretty low. 40 inches of mercury absolute in 1998, which works out to 5psi over atmospheric pressure. In the last few years before CART went to the Cosworth XF-E and then disappeared, boost was down even further.

... also why would boost be higher with a single turbo?

I was mostly figuring "Oh, have to deliver to 6 cylinders instead of 3", that's all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Now wondering what CFM they actually push since pressure isn't really a great gauge for airflow.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CART later years I think was in the 850-950hp range, then got detuned to 750hp (plus whatever for push to pass) in the last years when it went to a spec engine. You can pretty much plug that into whatever CFM / lb-min airflow calculator you want. For reference the new indy cars were either running a pair of EFR6758 or one EFR9180 turbo (custom housings for racing stuff but otherwise pretty normal) and now the spec is 2x EFR7163s. And yea, pretty far towards the bottom part of the compressor map. The old CART turbos were all pretty custom and you're not going to find a compressor map for anything comparable.

http://www.lolachampcar.com/ has some pretty interesting stuff by a guy who was vintage racing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sorta-Merlin (RR Meteor with a traditional blower):

https://www.facebook.com/1470465719...TdV2dh4oKIafHvc
(Facebook video)

Destined for a Duece highboy, if their cover photo is to be believed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder they canceled the CART race at Texas because they were pulling too many Gs in the corners.

Also, yesterday an old school British cab drove by but I was working so I couldn't get pics :smith:

Had flags on the front fenders though!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Darchangel posted:

Sorta-Merlin (RR Meteor with a traditional blower):

https://www.facebook.com/1470465719...TdV2dh4oKIafHvc
(Facebook video)

Destined for a Duece highboy, if their cover photo is to be believed.

I'm the complete lack of hearing protection.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dannywilson posted:

I'm the complete lack of hearing protection.

What?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

WHAT?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Something about gearing erections, I think. Well, give 'er some more gas, let's give the people what they want!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Something about gearing erections, I think. Well, give 'er some more gas, let's give the people what they want!

STEERING CORRECTIONS? IT'S NOT EVEN IN A CAR!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

STEERING CORRECTIONS? IT'S NOT EVEN IN A CAR!

I GET IT, BUD, I FEAR ELECTIONS TOO, BUT WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE TALKING ABOUT CARS.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
http://desert-autosport.ebizautos.com/plugin-detail.aspx?iid=10508157&isfullwebsite=true

:stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

I was mostly figuring "Oh, have to deliver to 6 cylinders instead of 3", that's all.

Honda used a single turbo for the beginning of the DW12 era, while Chevy went with two. Boost levels were the same but Honda had a much larger turbocharger.

Both use twins now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Now wondering what CFM they actually push since pressure isn't really a great gauge for airflow.

Well assuming there's no air leaks, you can calculate it from RPM + displacement + boost.

A 2L engine running 10 lbs of boost over atmospheric pressure (14.7psi) at 20 celsius delivers 1L (two cylinders' worth) of air per revolution. The ideal gas law

PV = nRT
P = 1.68 atm
V = 1L
R = 0.082
T = 293 K
n = ?

says that that's 0.069 mol of gas.

If the engine is spinning 5000 RPM, that's 345 mol of air sucked in per minute. At SATP, 345 mol = 8298L...so the intake face of the turbocharger is sucking in 293 cubic feet of air per minute.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Few things assumed here. The engine you describe will not draw a liter. It will always be less as defined by volumetric efficiency which is controlled by a multitude of various head loss sources including the throttle itself. The temperature will vary, depending on the latent heat of vaporization of methanol and adiabatic heating across the turbo.

It's been a while since thermo class, but I think that will throw off numbers a non-negligible amount.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ok well get back to me when you've worked those numbers out.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

angryhampster posted:

drat I would love to do this with my ST.

I would love to do this with my R34!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
VE can get above 95% at peak torque.

But the thing is that the mass flow rate depends on both the boost pressure and compressor efficiency. If you have, say, one big turbo at 15psi and 75% efficiency, and then two smaller turbos doing the same thing, in theory that should be the same amount of air and the same outlet temperature.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All it's missing is the Brazzer's logo.

https://i.imgur.com/S6SYSVZ.mp4

:stare:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Holy poo poo pisssssss