Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not a "Liberal" and did not/have voted for a Liberal candidate.

Not you - I meant a typical Liberal middle-of-the-road decision that'll piss off the left and right alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

St. Dogbert posted:

Not you - I meant a typical Liberal middle-of-the-road decision that'll piss off the left and right alike.

Got it. That's pretty much what this boils down to. Rejecting Northern Gateway and the tanker moratorium are very good decisions, but approving KM is loving terrible. I absolutely will be on the front lines protesting that.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Someone explain all the hate for the Kinder Morgan pipeline for me. Aren't pipelines much,much safer then conventional systems for transporting oil like trains or ships?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People who just don't want the oil produced/transported at all. It's not "pipelines are safer than trains" it's "The entire oil industry, specially the tar sands, need to be phased the gently caress out"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I believe the common issue is one of maintenance, inspections, and remediation in case of a leak. If leaks occur and aren't caught it can destroy the habitat the pipeline runs though, poisoning the water table and affecting wildlife and people down stream. The easiest way to prevent that is to not have a pipeline.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

patonthebach posted:

Someone explain all the hate for the Kinder Morgan pipeline for me. Aren't pipelines much,much safer then conventional systems for transporting oil like trains or ships?

Pipelines still corrode, especially when transporting raw unprocessed crude.

Baronjutter posted:

People who just don't want the oil produced/transported at all. It's not "pipelines are safer than trains" it's "The entire oil industry, specially the tar sands, need to be phased the gently caress out"

That's not happening within the next 20 years whether this pipeline deal goes through or not.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MikeSevigny posted:

I'll believe that moratorium is happening when it actually happens.

Keep in mind it's a moratorium specifically on crude oil tankers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Know what doesn't need a pipeline across BC? A nuclear reactor. :smug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Know what doesn't need a pipeline across BC? A nuclear reactor. :smug:

Why do we need nuclear when we could have...Site C...hydro....water... *explodes with rage*

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

patonthebach posted:

Increased risk (by a factor of 7) of a massive oil tanker spill in the middle of a heavily populated metropolitan area. The authorities took 30 hours to respond to a small bunker fuel leak on a calm summer day ffs

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 30, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Middle Class Pipelines

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Notley giving me whiplash with explaining how this is good for the environment https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/803723651837149184

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If prairie people want to poison their own lakes and drinking water so they can enjoy a few more years of easy money, fine. But Vancouverites are not going to happily assume that risk for them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Middle Class Pipelines

We need something to pay for our middle class fighter jets.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

If prairie people want to poison their own lakes and drinking water so they can enjoy a few more years of easy money, fine. But Vancouverites are not going to happily assume that risk for them.

Trudeau said that he was going to grow the economy from the heart outwards. Everybody knows that the heart of Canada's economy is Alberta oil and you grow off a heart with long tubes that carry liquid. I'm going to file this one under Promises Kept.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Increased risk (by a factor of 7) of a massive oil tanker spill in the middle of a heavily populated metropolitan area. The authorities took 30 hours to respond to a small bunker fuel leak on a calm summer day ffs

This is my biggest beef.

And not just the Burrard Inlet, the whole Salish Sea and the Juan de Fuca Strait as well.

One single accident and we gently caress it all up for a very, very long time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol at all you dumb motherfuckers who voted liberal

Also lol the fats

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Drunk Canuck posted:

Notley giving me whiplash with explaining how this is good for the environment https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/803723651837149184

I don't really expect the Premier of Alberta to say "nah gently caress oil" regardless of party. Probably should, but not right now.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

Also lol the fats

What was the other option? Vote NDP and end up with the CPC in charge again?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

patonthebach posted:

Vote NDP and end up with the CPC in charge again?

How exactly does that work?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

How exactly does that work?
He's one of those people who blamed the NDP for Harper winning, rather than the people who voted for Harper to stop the NDP winning

much like how the queers and freaks got too uppity and forced regular folks to elect Trump in defense of common sense and good morals

or how an abusive spouse blames his wife for her disobedience causing him to lose his temper again

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

Also lol the fats

lol at us all, because they'll do it again in 2019.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
CBC headline in 3 years:

" Liberals run most progressive campaign ever, outflank NDP"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

patonthebach posted:

Pipelines are a major infrastructure investment. Major infrastructure investments have numerous effects on the country, both short- and long-term. Some short-term effects are things like using up investment money that could have been spent on other things. Some long-term effects are things like making it easier and cheaper to export carbon fuels, which contribute to long-term global warming, and the expectation by investors in the pipeline, both public and private, that they will get returns from it for a long time, past the point where our society may decide it no longer wants to be an oil producing and exporting nation.

Building pipelines locks in our economy to the production and export of carbon fuels, which a lot of us see as a bad thing. It diverts investment that could have gone to building a sustainable economy, directly contributes to global warming, and perpetuates our economy's reliance on oil production rather than trying to spend money to diversify our economy for the future.

Pipelines are bad.

gently caress pipelines and gently caress Trudeau.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Nice hair though

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Trudeau is a prairie false flag cons that Flanked the NDP from THE LEFT

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Wasn't Northern Gateway going to not end up happening anyway due to the dropping price of LNG? I could very well be wrong here but I'm fairly sure a reputable source said it wouldn't happen after being delayed for a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

Wasn't Northern Gateway going to not end up happening anyway due to the dropping price of LNG? I could very well be wrong here but I'm fairly sure a reputable source said it wouldn't happen after being delayed for a while.

It was a diluted bitumen pipeline, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Godinster posted:

Foe what it is worth that's what the people "in the know" on my social media are saying as well.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Godinster posted:

I think you are mixing up LNG projects and tar sands projects?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Squibbles posted:

I think you are mixing up LNG projects and tar sands projects?

Yes. The unpleasantness surrounding a proposed LNG terminal on Lelu Island south of Prince Rupert will continue.

Ships pilots must be wetting themselves with glee. $150k - $300k per year, two each per tanker going under the Second Narrows. Now that's Middle Class Good Times!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

Yes. The unpleasantness surrounding a proposed LNG terminal on Lelu Island south of Prince Rupert will continue.

Ships pilots must be wetting themselves with glee. $150k - $300k per year, two each per tanker going under the Second Narrows. Now that's Middle Class Good Times!

I'm sure you realise this, but for everyone else's benefit: Coastal Pilot is not a regular Joe middle class job. You've got to pass a ridiculously difficult entrance exam, and deal with getting accepted into an old boys' club. It's middle class in the same way Judges are middle class.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Political theatre of the highest kind, and one I'm willing to overlook honestly. Now she can turn around and say "our sound environmental policies, backstopped by this carbon tax you all seem to hate, was the key to getting these pipelines approved!". I doubt it will work, because our province is filled with retards who will vote for the "small government, pro-business" Wildrose party no matter what, but the oil industry isn't something Notley can afford to write off.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

B33rChiller posted:

I'm sure you realise this, but for everyone else's benefit: Coastal Pilot is not a regular Joe middle class job. You've got to pass a ridiculously difficult entrance exam, and deal with getting accepted into an old boys' club. It's middle class in the same way Judges are middle class.

Yeah, I suspect the odds of becoming a pilot is right up there with vet or heart surgeon. I approve of the high standards however; I sleep better at night after knowing some of the people who have been weeded out.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

patonthebach posted:

What makes you think they'll use trains and ships less with the pipeline, they'll just keep doing it and reap even higher profits

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

In Justin Trudeau's Canada, everyone* is middle class!

* Only applies to certain income brackets well above the poverty line

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

vyelkin posted:

It diverts investment that could have gone to building a sustainable economy,....

In fairness, it's diverting private funds as it's Kinder Morgan footing the bill for the pipeline. I dont see a scenario in which these funds would have otherwise gone to renewables, barring some sort of government mandate.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/bobmackin/status/803750956819095553

oh DJ MAYOR MOONBEAM U SO DREAMY

:allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He really is quite handsome tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Thank you, other mayors, for existing and reminding me that Nenshi really is quite good, smart and physically attractive compared to the average mayor.