Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any fight specific tricks as a melee in O6S people can think of? My two clears are 9th and 16th percentile without deaths and I was used to getting pretty good parses in deltascape. Lyrina Galera on Ultros if someone wants to look at my actual runs on fflogs

I’m at work so I might not get to it until this evening, but I’d be willing to do a quick Fflogs analysis. Do you have a specific run you’re interested in being looked at?

Edit oh your a dragoon, that’s nice. I’m going to assume you are just interested in your most recent chardanook kill so I’ll go off that. I’m probably going to just edit this post throughout the day as I get time.

First, your log: https://www.fflogs.com/reports/6PLbq3C4FWcMgdXk#fight=7&type=casts

And one of mine for comparison: https://www.fflogs.com/reports/W62tXNaZRzG9rLQp#fight=7&type=casts

The first thing is something that’s been mentioned already: uptime. In my log, I have 99% and that’s with getting targeted by Stone. You have 95%, which is a pretty huge loss. Be sure you’re pre-positioning for boss movement and be aware that the server ticks for the black-paint to avoid earth quake are really kind: you can totally weave such that you use a gcd, enter car to avoid earthquake, and drop back down before you even clip you’re gcd.

Edit2: you’re opener is really weird. Gotta go back to work so I’ll elaborate later.

Edit3: here is the standard opener for dragons outside of meta comp-it’s the best compromise between personal performance and raid utility (which, frankly, your group isn’t totally utilizing anyway):

https://image.ibb.co/f16YwS/76_C66_AC5_221_A_4_E2_E_AA6_F_E7_E2_CF85_C8_E9.jpg

To begin with, you don’t cast dragonsight until you’re entire burst is over. This is huge. Dragoon has one of the best openers in the game you really want that 10%. If your party is asking you to delay to accommodate them, tell them to eat dirt, it’s not worth it unless they are literally a 100 percentile player.

You’re also not using infusions. That’s not great for parses. You should at least try to get one in your opener if nothing else.

It looks like you are doing an early lotd cycle; this is suboptimal. Due to the way lotd timers work, you’re second life will always be around 1:50 seconds, that means you can safely delay you’re first life to 1:20ish seconds without losing a use. You do this by using your second geir just before your third mirage dive, and then use your third geir to enter life. Doing this places 2 nastronds under b4b, basically free damage.

Otherwise you’re ogcd usage looks good. You aren’t sitting on things. If you fix your opener and uptime, you will see massive gains I think.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

HenryEx posted:

I'm having DirectX crashes pretty regularly in FFXIV for some reason, a handful per week.

If you're overclocking your video card, dial that back a little. Mine gets unstable if I tell afterburner to turn it up too high.

My previous video card would also flicker and crash and I never figured out exactly what caused it. How often would wax and wane with the driver version.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so Eureka is basically Final Fantasy 11.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

He stood exactly where he is now for the entire fight after the first 15 seconds and pushed no non-emote buttons.

i thought that guy's name was ethan and it would have been funny if you had an entire party of Normal First Names

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sarrisan posted:

I’m at work so I might not get to it until this evening, but I’d be willing to do a quick Fflogs analysis. Do you have a specific run you’re interested in being looked at?

Edit oh your a dragoon, that’s nice. I’m going to assume you are just interested in your most recent chardanook kill so I’ll go off that. I’m probably going to just edit this post throughout the day as I get time.

First, your log: https://www.fflogs.com/reports/6PLbq3C4FWcMgdXk#fight=7&type=casts

And one of mine for comparison: https://www.fflogs.com/reports/W62tXNaZRzG9rLQp#fight=7&type=casts

The first thing is something that’s been mentioned already: uptime. In my log, I have 99% and that’s with getting targeted by Stone. You have 95%, which is a pretty huge loss. Be sure you’re pre-positioning for boss movement and be aware that the server ticks for the black-paint to avoid earth quake are really kind: you can totally weave such that you use a gcd, enter car to avoid earthquake, and drop back down before you even clip you’re gcd.

Edit2: you’re opener is really weird. Gotta go back to work so I’ll elaborate later.

Edit3: here is the standard opener for dragons outside of meta comp-it’s the best compromise between personal performance and raid utility (which, frankly, your group isn’t totally utilizing anyway):

https://image.ibb.co/f16YwS/76_C66_AC5_221_A_4_E2_E_AA6_F_E7_E2_CF85_C8_E9.jpg

To begin with, you don’t cast dragonsight until you’re entire burst is over. This is huge. Dragoon has one of the best openers in the game you really want that 10%. If your party is asking you to delay to accommodate them, tell them to eat dirt, it’s not worth it unless they are literally a 100 percentile player.

You’re also not using infusions. That’s not great for parses. You should at least try to get one in your opener if nothing else.

It looks like you are doing an early lotd cycle; this is suboptimal. Due to the way lotd timers work, you’re second life will always be around 1:50 seconds, that means you can safely delay you’re first life to 1:20ish seconds without losing a use. You do this by using your second geir just before your third mirage dive, and then use your third geir to enter life. Doing this places 2 nastronds under b4b, basically free damage.

Otherwise you’re ogcd usage looks good. You aren’t sitting on things. If you fix your opener and uptime, you will see massive gains I think.

This is a pug group so I'm not dealing with any requests to delay stuff. I was just doing the pattern that gave me the earliest LotD since I thought that was optimal, but I guess it's not! Thanks for the advice.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I confess an unhealthy love for the Ala Mhigan casting coat. Something about the greatcoat look with the fur collar works for me.

bb you are fierce and powerful

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Don't understand the love for the overlays of ACT. I guess it makes sense if you only have a single monitor but ehhhhhh it's not that difficult to just tab to it.

I like having an overlay because I can see that I'm doing 19k DPS on the O5S add phase and bring a little bit of joy to my thaumaturgy-shrivelled heart.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

apostateCourier posted:

He stood exactly where he is now for the entire fight after the first 15 seconds and pushed no non-emote buttons.

if only we had threat meters everyone would agree to play better

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

if only we had threat meters everyone would agree to play better

This doesn't even work because we have threat meters in-game

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I actually have seen people argue in seriousness that you can use threat meters as a reasonable proxy for relative DPS among DPS jobs back. Even before Lucid Dreaming/Tactician it was stupid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HenryEx posted:

That's the joke I was going for!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

vOv posted:

I actually have seen people argue in seriousness that you can use threat meters as a reasonable proxy for relative DPS among DPS jobs back. Even before Lucid Dreaming/Tactician it was stupid.

Sometimes it's fun to see how fast I can jump back to the #2 spot in overall enmity after I hit Diversion! (nobody else in DF ever uses Diversion)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Do we? Where? That would be really useful for learning to tank.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

It's the vertical bars that appear next to your party members job icons in the party list. In the alliance windows, the little red triangle above a players health bar indicates they have the most enmity as well, but thats the only alliance-wide indicator available.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

That's the joke I was going for!

No i mean your joke in relation to the recent discussion of dps meters doesn't really work cause we do have em.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

As tank make sure your threat bar is fully erect. Whoever has aggro will have a full bar, everyone else's is scaled accordingly.
If anyone gets close, use some enmity combos. If not, DPS away.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 11, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there a rundown of eureka stuff anywhere? are we getting relic armor?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there a rundown of eureka stuff anywhere? are we getting relic armor?

They talked a little bit about Eureka in the recent live letter. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/358806-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-XLII-Update-Thread?p=4573624&viewfull=1#post4573624

quote:

Q25: You mentioned there are features to strengthen weapons inside the Forbidden Land of Eureka, but I would like to know how this will be done.

* The following is an overview from the information presented during the show.

The Forbidden Land of Eureka is an unexplored, untamed wild where the very elements are constantly in flux. While exploring Eureka and growing in strength, players will have the opportunity to obtain and enhance Eureka gear and weapons.

Strengthening the weapons from Eureka isn't required to keep exploring.

Up to 144 players can occupy the instance, so think of this as a new field area.

Players may form and disband parties with other players at will.

Player Progression
Players will utilize a new feature known as the Magia Melder.

Eureka will continue to expand during the 4.x series, and the level cap for the elemental levels will also increase.

Elemental EXP
Elemental EXP is experience points that can only be earned inside Eureka.

The more players you have in your group, the more that the EXP you earn will decrease; however, in exchange you'll be able to get chain bonus. You’re also able to earn experience points solo as well.

The Magia Board and Magicite
Think of it as adding elemental properties to yourself for battle.

The Elemental Aspects of Enemies
Enemies encountered in the Forbidden Land, Eureka are imbued with powers aspected to a particular element.

By strengthening the thunder element, your damage against water-based enemies will increase, and by strengthening the water element, you’ll have a greater defense against water-based attacks.

Penalties incurred when KO’d
When players are KO’d and their time runs out causing them to be warped back, they will lose elemental EXP. However, if they are revived by another player before this, they will not suffer the penalty.

(We showcased gameplay of The Forbidden Land of Eureka on the development server.)

In order to enter Eureka, you must talk to the NPC "Rodney" in Kugane.
You can also check the Magia board here.

There is also an Aetheryte in Eureka, and the whole place is a unique field area.
You'll also encounter familiar NPCs such as Gerolt and Krile. We hope you're looking forward to seeing why they're actually there.

There are repair shops and shops that sells consumable items that are useful within the area as well.

Although it was sunny in Eureka during the preview, the weather is often bad due to the existence of untamed wild elementals.
You also cannot mount up until the exploration is completed.

The attributes of monsters can be confirmed by targeting them. Basically you should choose the advantageous attributes for yourself when comparing the attributes of the enemy. You can select attributes by rotating the Magia board for a predetermined number of times. There is a cost required to rotate the board, and it will recover over time. You can also recover this cost by touching the Magia Melder located at base. In addition, the Magia Melder can adjust how many Magicites are assigned to each attribute. Depending on your plans, you can choose whether to assign a certain attribute heavily or assign them all evenly.

Monsters in Eureka will follow you for a much longer distance compared to the regular monsters that you encounter outside Eureka. Since you will receive a large amount of damage from enemies whose elemental level is higher than yourself, it is quite difficult to shake them off.

Notorious monsters may appear under certain conditions and these monsters will drop rare items. The contribution to the fight works the same way as FATEs so it doesn’t mean you must land your attack before others.

Player search inside Eureka is also available. Since it is possible turn on a “looking for party” status, you can use it to group up with players with similar elemental levels as yourself on the spot.

Rewards in the Forbidden Land, Eureka
There are Eureka gear and weapons.

While exploring Eureka, players may obtain protean crystals. These crystals may be used to obtain and enhance Eureka gear and weapons gradually with the aid of Gerolt.

We’re planning to change the play style as we introduce later versions of Eureka.

Players can use the player search feature to search players within Eureka.

By changing the players online status to seeking party, players close to your level will be displayed, and you can invite them to parties. You may also shout to form parties, use the player search feature, or proactively form parties to play this content.

Players will receive AF3 (job-specific equipment) weapons with special effects, and gear that are dyeable as a reward. We also have gear which we received requests to remove role restrictions from.

We initially pushed back the release of Eureka to Patch 4.25 so it can be played once everyone has nearly completed gathering their token gear and defeated the raids.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

So basically it’ll be different enough that there’s no real predictions based on precedent to tell us what’ll happen. I like that.

I wonder if the af3 weapons will be the basis of the next aether stuffed weapons we make.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I don't have pictures but it seems people are saying that it looks like it might have FFXI style armour? At the very least Eureka seems geared towards those who are nostalgic of FFXI.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah they showed a dude wearing the ff11 scorpion harness

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kind of wondering if Eureka has some kind of explicit connection to Vana’diel, to be honest.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So basically it’ll be different enough that there’s no real predictions based on precedent to tell us what’ll happen. I like that.

I wonder if the af3 weapons will be the basis of the next aether stuffed weapons we make.
the noted alcoholic weaponsmith is hanging out in the base camp

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So that's where Krile is. That's kind of a shame if I'm honest. I would've rather they tossed Y'shtola there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

A good tank should minimise the danger and risk as far as possible. Each pull should therefore be as small as possible to make it as easy as possible.
If this makes a run boring because it becomes so easy - then people are doing things right. During a really good run one should never be in any real danger.

In a few places it is almost necessary to make small pulls, and it is therefore a good habit to get into.
Large pulls are just sloppy tanking that only works because parties usually outgear content significantly.

One could also say that large pulls being common is a sign of bad encounter design.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Source your quotes.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You're no fun

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If single-pulled packs died at the same rate as bigpulling, sure, I could buy that statement. But that's not how math works, and while an obvious inability to comprehend math is not exclusively an OF opinion, it was kind of a giveaway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If single-pulled packs died at the same rate as bigpulling, sure, I could buy that statement. But that's not how math works, and while an obvious inability to comprehend math is not exclusively an OF opinion, it was kind of a giveaway.
My perceived experience is that honest tanking is not significantly slower than megapulls when done by pubs. I reckon this is because pubs are bad and also because most of your time gains will be lost if you have a trash wipe.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

My perceived experience is that honest tanking is not significantly slower than megapulls when done by pubs. I reckon this is because pubs are bad and also because most of your time gains will be lost if you have a trash wipe.

Lots of pubbies absolutely refuse to AoE. It's the worst.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

apostateCourier posted:

Especially with how important dungeons are to progression. You’d like to maximize your contribution, right? :unsmith:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

But if I run out of TP I dieeeeeeeee

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

apostateCourier posted:

AoE is a miqo'te's romance.

Also I need chat macros. Positive/annoying ones. I already have the big dick DPS one. Is there a pastebin floating around?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This person has almost the same username I use elsewhere and that makes me sad.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The second I saw XP loss for Eureka (even fake one zone XP) I was out. That poo poo isn't fun, never has been, never will be. Dark Souls and the like games at least gives you a chance to recover it apart from /sh Rez at <flag> plz.

I know everyone looks back at old mechanics nostalgically (large aggro radius, group vs soloing XP balance) and pines for the good ol days, but that poo poo went the way of the dodo for a reason. I look forward to someone figuring out how to train a ton of mobs and getting random people killed.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I am hella PEEVED posted:

The second I saw XP loss for Eureka (even fake one zone XP) I was out. That poo poo isn't fun, never has been, never will be. Dark Souls and the like games at least gives you a chance to recover it apart from /sh Rez at <flag> plz.

I know everyone looks back at old mechanics nostalgically (large aggro radius, group vs soloing XP balance) and pines for the good ol days, but that poo poo went the way of the dodo for a reason. I look forward to someone figuring out how to train a ton of mobs and getting random people killed.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Source your quotes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey, don't be putting words in my mouth, I don't like what I've seen out of Eureka either.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, thus far it's sounding dubiously like the things I don't miss from 11.

We already know from the hunt system in odd-numbered patches that anything relating to NMs will be a clusterfuck of assholiarity. Experience loss is the icing on the cake - probably not too big of a deal in practice once you know what you're doing, but still a very unneeded annoyance.

I'll still wait and see how it actually plays out in practice, but my hopes aren't too high.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

At least it's not Light farming. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Nill posted:

At least it's not Light farming. v:shobon:v

Yet.