Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When the news wants to avoid reporting on the death of a minority they just start showing pictures of that person using a hand signal or being near a drug once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/1151231111013388290
https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1151428683481198592

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stop separating children from their parents at the border

*monkey’s paw curls, leaving only the middle finger erect*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TransEquality/status/1150781896709877760?s=20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bust Rodd posted:

Stop separating children from their parents at the border

*monkey’s paw curls, leaving only the middle finger erect*

They still do though

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

piloting a transgender concentration camp. they must have just got to that chapter in mein kampf

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Literally Sofie’s Choice. This is hell.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

christmas boots posted:

Literally Sofie’s Choice. This is hell.

Honestly it reminds me more of the "god's not here today, priest" scene from the exorcist remake

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

it reminds me of the "and how old are you, mother?" scene from schindler's list

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Willie Tomg posted:

it really wasn't!!! that's why the cotton gin was such a massive Thing. that machine was the only reason a plantation owner footing the cost of housing, feeding, training, minimally medicating and disciplining their human property was economically viable as industrial means of production came to prominence! sharecropping/wage labor was a massive economic step up for the plantation class, and this is a gigantic tragicomic facet of the civil war which is rarely engaged with in the USA. which is weird, its probably just a coincidence.

It's more that emancipation would have rescinded all of the slaver class's capital, which was enormously valuable.

edit: I'm also of the opinion it was very profitable all around, particularly into the 1850s and 60s.

It also depends on the region of the South and the specific slave-related industries we're talking about. Breeding slaves and selling them to the deep South was very profitable for Virginia. The Atlantic slave trade was obviously never actually stopped. Stephen Douglas told the Senate that 15k slaves were brought over in 1859.

Grand Theft Autobot has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Jul 18, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lmao they all deserve painful slow death and they wont get it because of our fuckstick world having them in charge

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/AugustJPollak/status/1152237299964530688?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just some casual child trafficking

https://twitter.com/Rewire_News/status/1158803682764435456

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least the nazis kept records.

All the cruelty, none of the competence.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1159168257858949120

This is how police respond to a county corrections officer getting punched one time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

At least the nazis kept records.

All the cruelty, none of the competence.

Let's call up IBM

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
https://twitter.com/AlexLoveWJTV/status/1159313162430234624

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/sethdmichaels/status/1159153580043120640?s=20

deliberate immiseration as policy, part infinity

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Has there been a more purposefully cruel nation in history?

The Nazis maybe.

The British empire probably.

I think that's it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Has there been a more purposefully cruel nation in history?

The Nazis maybe.

The British empire probably.

I think that's it

what the belgians did to congo counts

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I think any emperialist or fascist state could measure up (including the US; see Chile, Gitmo etc.), which is plenty, but is that really the kind of company you want to be part of?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Imperial Japan wasn't exactly cool either

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
lmao there are genocides going on right this second

the entirety of human history is seizing power and then oppressing whoever isn't on top as hard as you can

the only thing the usa is unusually good at is propaganda

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Wakko posted:

lmao there are genocides going on right this second

the entirety of human history is seizing power and then oppressing whoever isn't on top as hard as you can

the only thing the usa is unusually good at is propaganda

I wrote a counter argument then realized that I'm wrong.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

ikanreed posted:

I wrote a counter argument then realized that I'm wrong.

:glomp:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the raids went down after Joseph Grendys

lost a sexual harassment class action.

https://twitter.com/BlogWood/status/1159418479851823104

quote:

In 2018, following a nearly eight-year-long legal battle, Koch Foods Inc. settled a $3.75 million brought by the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against Koch Food Inc at the plant. The lawsuit alleged that Koch Foods Inc supervisors engaged in both racial and sexual harassment of Latina workers at its Morton, Mississippi plant.

The lawsuit brought by the EEOC against Koch Food Inc’s alleged “that supervisors touched and/or made sexually suggestive comments to female Hispanic employees, hit Hispanic employees and charged many of them money for normal everyday work activities.”

As part of its settlement, Koch Foods Inc. agreed to a three-year federal consent decree to change its discriminatory practices. As part of the consent decree, Koch Foods Inc. was forced to create a 24-hour-a-day bilingual hotline for workers to use to file complaints.

that's fuckin 5 grand per deportation. that's all it takes.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Aug 8, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Reminder that deportations are used in many industries in order to stymie ongoing OSHA investigations and such:

quote:

In June of 2018, ICE raided a unionized Fresh Mark meatpacking plant in Salem, Ohio; arresting 140 workers.

A week before the raid on a Fresh Mark’s Salem facility, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) fined Fresh Mark $211,194 for three separate incidents in which proper guards for dangerous machinery were not in place. OSHA found that the lack of safety guards resulted in the death of an undocumented worker.

In December of 2017, Domingo Ramos, a 49-year-old undocumented worker from Guatemala, was killed in the plant when his foot was sucked into a rotating auger, ripping off his lower leg and leading to him bleeding to death.

Suspicious was also raised that workers complaining about working conditions in plants lead to raids when the Southeastern Provision in Morristown, Tennesse. The raid came after federal authorities were tipped off by a local bank that the owner of the plant may have been paying undocumented workers under the table.

The United Food and Commercial Workers immediately denounced.

“Our top priority right now is to provide whatever assistance and counsel we can to any of our impacted members and their families,” said UFCW spokesperson Abraham White. “Workers across this country are too scared to stand up for their rights and to report wage theft, dangerous work conditions, and other workplace issues. We must act now to end this dangerous climate of fear”

The UFCW has previously represented workers in its plant targeted by raids. The UFCW has already been meeting with local immigrants activists in Mississippi to coordinate a strategy to respond to the raid.

While it’s unclear if the raids are being triggered by federal authorities responding to the mistreatment of workers, the overall effect of these raids has had a chilling effect on workers speaking out.

“These raids send a real signal to immigrant workers not to speak up, and we feel like these raids enable employers in the most dangerous industry to cut corners and violate labor standards,” said Debbie Berkowitz, who served as chief of staff of OSHA under Obama from 2009 to 2013 and now serves as the director of the worker health and safety program at the National Employment Law Project (NELP).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JadedCreative/status/1160536867764428806
This article is good, but among other things it made me aware that an anti-abortion Christian group tied to Betsy Davos's brother is funneling migrant children whose parents have been deported or detained into an adoption mill.

First they charge the state $700/day to foster the kids. They wait until 6 months after the parents have been deported and file abandonment petitions against "Jane Doe and John Doe" (the parents) and then charge $50k to place the kids in Christian homes. This virtually guarantees that the kids will never see their actual parents again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Betsy DeVos is so comically evil for a woman named “Betsy”.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

trem_two posted:

This article is good, but among other things it made me aware that an anti-abortion Christian group tied to Betsy Davos's brother is funneling migrant children whose parents have been deported or detained into an adoption mill.

First they charge the state $700/day to foster the kids. They wait until 6 months after the parents have been deported and file abandonment petitions against "Jane Doe and John Doe" (the parents) and then charge $50k to place the kids in Christian homes. This virtually guarantees that the kids will never see their actual parents again.

remember people saying they felt bad for poor Melania lol

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Wheeee posted:

remember people saying they felt bad for poor Melania lol

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

trem_two posted:

hey they found a way to do the cultural destruction thing Canada did but with a hefty profit

nice

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

American innovation

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

trem_two posted:

A new thing to feel absolutely disgusted about. It’s truly like clockwork. Holy gently caress, end me now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
no, end them now

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's honestly impressive that the secretary of education manages to be the most corrupt member of an administration filled with finance and oil execs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

It's honestly impressive that the secretary of education manages to be the most corrupt member of an administration filled with finance and oil execs.

those guys all have plenty of fingers in the pie too. devos and for that matter the big T himself are just that special flavor of nouveau riche clumsy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/1162374331315445761?s=20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

It's always the money to these centrists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also lol its not getting paid