Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno either lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fine gael, the party of and for attractive young women

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

They're right but lol at the reason being not giving them a second referendum. What about all the other poo poo?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Samovar posted:

Could you put this into context for an absolute idiot?

Sinn Fein are having an incredibly good election and a bunch of politicians from Fianna Fail and Fine Gael (the 2 major parties) are in danger of losing their seats

Sinn Fein might get the most 1st preference votes but lose out on seats because they didn't expect to do so well and didn't run 2 people in every constituency (Ireland has multiple MPs per constituency)

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1226812191686430722
But what does the Scouter say about his power level?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Avirosb posted:

https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1226812191686430722
But what does the Scouter say about his power level?

It's over 1488!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Samovar posted:

Could you put this into context for an absolute idiot?

Ireland has basically been governed by 2 parties since winning independence from the Brits.

It's alternated between Fianna Fáil (Eng: Warriors of Destiny) and Fine Gael (Eng: Tribe of the Irish). Despite the kickin' rad names they're basically both centrist succ parties that have held power while, in recent years, promoting Ireland as a superficially progressive country - pro-choice, LGBTQ rights etc. But fundamentally they were both committed to neo-liberalism.

Ireland used to suffer a massive brain drain, where everyone with half an education would jump ship and go work elsewhere in Europe. But the small movements towards a progressive democracy have resulted in a lot more young people staying within the country. The 2 main parties hoped to capitalize on this and win the younger generation over to the joys of centrism. But instead a huge chunk of the youth vote went to Sinn Féin (Eng: Ourselves Alone) because, despite their history of supporting being the IRA, they're a party that promises full luxury gay space lepre-communism.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Agean90 posted:

Basically there's two ways for Scotland to leave, by election or by violence. BORIS already said they aren't authorizing another Independence referendum so that only leaves one option

If Scotland declares that they’re going then its up to the Tories to stop them by arresting the Scottish leaders or sending in the military. And neither option is going to make the Scots want to stay. So the Tories are screwed either way and Scotland leaves without having to initiate violence.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Hillary 2020 posted:

If Scotland declares that they’re going then its up to the Tories to stop them by arresting the Scottish leaders or sending in the military. And neither option is going to make the Scots want to stay. So the Tories are screwed either way and Scotland leaves without having to initiate violence.

Don't the UK keep some of their nukes in Scotland?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Avirosb posted:

all of them I think

edit: at least, that’s where the subs that carry them are based

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Avirosb posted:

The nuclear submarine base is at Faslane. They’d have to move to Portsmouth or Devonport while they built a new nuke base in the north somewhere

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hillary 2020 posted:

The nuclear submarine base is at Faslane. They’d have to move to Portsmouth or Devonport while they built a new nuke base in the north somewhere

I heard there is nowhere suitable in England so they would have to beg the Americans to let them dock in Virginia.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

marktheando posted:

I heard there is nowhere suitable in England so they would have to beg the Americans to let them dock in Virginia.

good thing the tories have brexited themselves so much leverage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

marktheando posted:

The missiles themselves are serviced in the US, the USN could just unload them and put them into storage.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

BMX Ninja posted:

Ireland has basically been governed by 2 parties since winning independence from the Brits.

It's alternated between Fianna Fáil (Eng: Warriors of Destiny) and Fine Gael (Eng: Tribe of the Irish). Despite the kickin' rad names they're basically both centrist succ parties that have held power while, in recent years, promoting Ireland as a superficially progressive country - pro-choice, LGBTQ rights etc. But fundamentally they were both committed to neo-liberalism.

Ireland used to suffer a massive brain drain, where everyone with half an education would jump ship and go work elsewhere in Europe. But the small movements towards a progressive democracy have resulted in a lot more young people staying within the country. The 2 main parties hoped to capitalize on this and win the younger generation over to the joys of centrism. But instead a huge chunk of the youth vote went to Sinn Féin (Eng: Ourselves Alone) because, despite their history of supporting being the IRA, they're a party that promises full luxury gay space lepre-communism.

I feel bad that I didn't know until now that the Irish political parties all have the coolest loving names.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Cao Ni Ma posted:

tell me again why the north is so hell bent to stay with the UK when all of ireland will love to see them re-united? I know its some sort of collective brain spiderism but its still boggles the (non addled) mind

For the same reason Scottish Tories exist.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Shameful the state of elderly care in the UK, can't believe the demented are allowed to wander freely in the streets.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hillary 2020 posted:

Shameful the state of elderly care in the UK, can't believe the demented are allowed to wander freely in the streets.

Could be worse, they could be president!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

marktheando posted:

Devonport in Plymouth, on the south coast of England, is the major military port for the Royal Navy and could allow them to dock. It's not considered a good option as it places nukes in the middle of a fairly big urban centre, and the port's history of decommissioning nuclear-powered subs is already pretty spotty. It's also not a good launching point for deploying Trident to the North Atlantic, which is the theatre it was designed for.

The comedy option would be Lough Foyle in Northern Ireland, which offers a deepwater dock with even better deployment to the North Atlantic than the current Faslane base. But half the lough is in Irish territorial waters, and Irish reunification has a non-zero chance of happening before the facilities could be completed.

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Feb 11, 2020

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

BMX Ninja posted:

Devonport in Plymouth, on the south coast of England, is the major military port for the Royal Navy and could allow them to dock. It's not considered a good option as it places nukes in the middle of a fairly big urban centre, and the port's history of decommissioning nuclear-powered subs is already pretty spotty. It's also not a good launching point for deploying Trident to the North Atlantic, which is the theatre it was designed for.

The comedy option would be Lough Foyle in Northern Ireland, which offers a deepwater dock with even better deployment to the North Atlantic than the current Faslane base. But half the lough is in Irish territorial waters, and Irish reunification has a non-zero chance of happening before the facilities could be completed.

It was mentioned in the last thread but if the RN loses the use of Faslane then a move to Northern Ireland would be high up on the cards. The English do not love the Northern Irish as much as NI wants to be part of England. And if there is a nuclear accident any fallout would likely pollute Scotland rather than England.

And it would be hilarious if they finished a new base in time for a united Ireland to take ownership.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

AnoHito posted:

I feel bad that I didn't know until now that the Irish political parties all have the coolest loving names.

The three I mentioned all came about from the revolutionary period of Irish independence in the early 20th century, when romantic ideals of Ireland as an ancient warrior nation of proud Gaels was a big sell.

They're absolutely the most exciting thing about Irish politics, as the rest is just coalitions, compromises, and slowly becoming more progressive and detaching the Catholic church from political institutions. None of which is bad per se. Boring politics based on cooperation and compromise is no bad thing, but recently it's been a bit more centre-right than the mood of the public.

Sinn Féin scoring a huge win in this election is the biggest shake-up in Irish politics since independence, but it's still going to result in a fairly moderate coalition government. Irish politics is boring enough to only warrant off-topic shitposts in the UK thread.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

People take Twitter too seriously. It's an opinion not a majority opinion. But I think James O'Brien is right, the thought of losing a piece of English territory is going to trigger some primal responses in the average chud.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hillary 2020 posted:

People take Twitter too seriously. It's an opinion not a majority opinion. But I think James O'Brien is right, the thought of losing a piece of English territory is going to trigger some primal responses in the average chud.

Gibraltar - acceptable loss in keeping the UK British Isles a British state outside the EU.
Northern Ireland - acceptable loss in keeping the British Isles mainland Britain a British state outside the EU.
Scotland - acceptable loss in keeping Great Britain England an English state outside the EU.

Counter-point:

Freedom to import deformed bananas

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Feb 12, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Freedom to import deformed bananas without having to label them as deformed, you mean.

A great blow against the crushing bureaucracy.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every day I wake up and think the Us is filled with dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Then I see something about the UK and realize that it's not really a competition and that every country might just be full of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Dumb people are a sort of universal solvent for democracy

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

She stepped back, alarmed. Had she committed a Brexit? It was so easy, these days, to accidentally commit a Brexit. She stepped forward again and awkwardly patted his arm.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

holy christ the labour leadership contest is so boring. just hurry up and elect keir starmer so i can stop giving a poo poo about labour again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Chancellor has resigned 4 weeks out from the budget because he refused to do what Cummings wanted

Clown shoes country

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

forkboy84 posted:

The Chancellor has resigned 4 weeks out from the budget because he refused to do what Cummings wanted

Clown shoes country

wait they forced javid out?

is there anyone johnson *doesn't* backstab

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

wait they forced javid out?

is there anyone johnson *doesn't* backstab

Nah, Boris cares for Boris and naebudy else.

Give it time and I'm sure Dominic Cummings will learn this too. He's Trump without the fake tan.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh yeah i expect that once dom does something that weakens johnson's position he's out

it's just - how do all these major egos get in line behind a leader who transparently doesn't give a poo poo about anyone or anything but himself?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Same way it works in America under Trump. For as many egos as there are who refuse to kowtow there will be an opportunistic amoral worm willing to say yes until they finally find a redline and get printed themselves

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

Same way it works in America under Trump. For as many egos as there are who refuse to kowtow there will be an opportunistic amoral worm willing to say yes until they finally find a redline and get printed themselves

Also other massive egoists who think they will continue to outwit their foes until suddenly they get marched out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

com dummings

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think Cummings is safer than a Trump advisor because Johnson is a lazy poo poo who wants to soak up adulation and do gently caress-all else. It's Cummings himself who's the psychotic backstabbing flavour of narcissist.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1227960869100720131?s=20
Lmao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I think Cummings is safer than a Trump advisor because Johnson is a lazy poo poo who wants to soak up adulation and do gently caress-all else. It's Cummings himself who's the psychotic backstabbing flavour of narcissist.

Ehhhhhhh, we'd have said the same about Steve Bannon. Turns out lazy shits eventually turf out psycho backstabbing advisors when they cause more problems than they solve. Eventually Dom is going to have hosed off enough Tory MPs that it'll cause Bozza Legend a headache.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Ehhhhhhh, we'd have said the same about Steve Bannon. Turns out lazy shits eventually turf out psycho backstabbing advisors when they cause more problems than they solve. Eventually Dom is going to have hosed off enough Tory MPs that it'll cause Bozza Legend a headache.

You're missing the point. Trump needs to be in control on a far more pathological level than Johnson, who mostly just shows up for fancy dinners. He didn't get rid of Bannon for the good of the Republican Party, he got rid of him because he pushed his buttons the wrong way, and it's not clear that Johnson has quite the same buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1227934020085964800