Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

slow down, you're doing it too fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017

kntfkr posted:

slow down, you're doing it too fast

:pervert:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Big Beef City posted:

My "thoughts" are that this person needs to be the first against the wall, op

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Who What Now posted:

People kept crashing and dying. How is that not obvious?

Yeah do you remember those memes about horses killing themselves through being dumb as gently caress? The privileged 19 year olds in the Peace Corps are basically that.

Poor Tyler, thought of motos and died.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Less silencing, more slicening *sheathes katana*

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah do you remember those memes about horses killing themselves through being dumb as gently caress? The privileged 19 year olds in the Peace Corps are basically that.

Poor Tyler, thought of motos and died.

500excf type r posted:

More realistically, the peace Corp is staffed with extremely sheltered upper middle class bougie white kids that can't not kill themselves in the dumbest ways as soon as they're out from under the watchful eyes of authority

Lol these are the worst posts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Poohs Packin posted:

I'm ready to believe I'm a shithead and I'm sorry for what I said but I'd still like to specifically know why.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Youre comparing people who suffered fatal traffic accidents while trying to help others to spooked animals, and also blaming them for it. Kinda bad?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It sounds odd that motorcycles cause so much death specifically in the Peace Corps and nowhere else in society that they need to be banned due to a significant loss of personnel to motorcycle death.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Poohs Packin posted:

Lol ya ok

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I'm the peace Corp volunteer getting mad at being called privileged

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Elukka posted:

It sounds odd that motorcycles cause so much death specifically in the Peace Corps and nowhere else in society that they need to be banned due to a significant loss of personnel to motorcycle death.

:psyduck:

Because there aren't traffic laws in these countries, drink driving is super normalized, and the roads are bad. If it makes the thread feel better lots of uneducated, poor black and brown people also die at an alarming rate in the host countries from moto accidents. Not having a graduate degree doesn't suddenly make you a poo poo-hot motorcycle man who is impervious to being T-boned by a Toyota Hiace loaded with goats.

500excf type r posted:

I'm the peace Corp volunteer getting mad at being called privileged

We get it, you're better at motorcycles than those grad students. You're the motorcycle man. You gave yourself a motorcycle name and a cool picture doing a motorcycle jump. If you lived in Africa you would ride your motorcycle every day and not die because you didn't go to college. Motorcycles.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Elukka posted:

That's what I don't get. Yeah, motorcycles lol people everywhere but are they really the number one cause of death in the peace corps? Wouldn't actually surprise me of they weren't, but I'm going full Zoolander "but why motorcycles??" here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

That's what I don't get. Yeah, motorcycles lol people everywhere but are they really the number one cause of death in the peace corps? Wouldn't actually surprise me of they weren't, but I'm going full Zoolander "but why motorcycles??" here.

Vehicle Deaths were the leading cause of Peace Corps deaths in the period before the ban, with motorcycles having an insanely outsized fatality ratio within that category. In addition, it also was a leading cause of permanent injury requiring the person to leave their assignment.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Barudak posted:

Vehicle Deaths were the leading cause of Peace Corps deaths in the period before the ban, with motorcycles having an insanely outsized fatality ratio within that category.

Well that answers my question!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

:psyduck:

Because there aren't traffic laws in these countries, drink driving is super normalized, and the roads are bad. If it makes the thread feel better lots of uneducated, poor black and brown people also die at an alarming rate in the host countries from moto accidents. Not having a graduate degree doesn't suddenly make you a poo poo-hot motorcycle man who is impervious to being T-boned by a Toyota Hiace loaded with goats.

We get it, you're better at motorcycles than those grad students. You're the motorcycle man. You gave yourself a motorcycle name and a cool picture doing a motorcycle jump. If you lived in Africa you would ride your motorcycle every day and not die because you didn't go to college. Motorcycles.

So you're saying you aren't super offended at being correctly identified for exactly what you are and where your position in society fits you with regard to being sheltered and privileged got it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

500excf type r posted:

So you're saying you aren't super offended at being correctly identified for exactly what you are and where your position in society fits you with regard to being sheltered and privileged got it

I'm actually just thinking about how cool motorcycles are.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

I'm actually just thinking about how cool motorcycles are.

You're really mad about motorcycles and I'm not even promoting or defending them.

I made a joke about motorcycles being violent which is why the peace Corp would ban them

Then I called everyone in the peace Corp bougie sheltered upper middle class kids.

And just like your mom put mittens on you when you were a new born so you couldn't scratch yourself, momma makes sure the state department doesn't allow her babies any opportunity for trouble

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

500excf type r posted:

You're really mad about motorcycles and I'm not even promoting or defending them.

I made a joke about motorcycles being violent which is why the peace Corp would ban them

Then I called everyone in the peace Corp bougie sheltered upper middle class kids.

And just like your mom put mittens on you when you were a new born so you couldn't scratch yourself, momma makes sure the state department doesn't allow her babies any opportunity for trouble

Jim Jordan, is that you?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lotta people itt totally missed the day when you watched horrific accidents for your drivers license

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OMFG FURRY posted:

lotta people itt totally missed the day when you watched horrific accidents for your drivers license

Australian driving PSAs were something else.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Seemed to me like you were celebrating volunteer death as a motorcycle-knower and justifying it as fine because they are suburban white people. Its no secret that the Peace Corps has its share of privileged ideologues, but its still a bad take.

Like, suburban whites are pretty low hanging fruit and you wanna take the easy jab, but insinuating these deaths were inevitable based on class is super weird. And you want to belabor the point by saying I'm privileged. Sure. You can do this with any conversation but it just comes across as uncreative and bitter.

People are born with privilege, its up to them how they use it and id say dedicating a 1/3 of your twenties to something like rural women's health its pretty cool and good in the grand scheme of things.

And again, a Mercedes 200 D doing 100kph smacking into you on a motorcycle doesn't care how much your parents earned.

500excf type r posted:

momma makes sure the state department doesn't allow her babies any opportunity for trouble

yeah super weird

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Elukka posted:

Health care personel don't call them donorcycles for nothing. Motorcycles are ten times more dangerous than cars, even in developed countries.

That's even with decent roads, roadworthiness inspections and traffic law enforcement.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

Seemed to me like you were celebrating volunteer death as a motorcycle-knower and justifying it as fine because they are suburban white people. Its no secret that the Peace Corps has its share of privileged ideologues, but its still a bad take.

Like, suburban whites are pretty low hanging fruit and you wanna take the easy jab, but insinuating these deaths were inevitable based on class is super weird. And you want to belabor the point by saying I'm privileged. Sure. You can do this with any conversation but it just comes across as uncreative and bitter.

People are born with privilege, its up to them how they use it and id say dedicating a 1/3 of your twenties to something like rural women's health its pretty cool and good in the grand scheme of things.

And again, a Mercedes 200 D doing 100kph smacking into you on a motorcycle doesn't care how much your parents earned.

yeah super weird

I don't recall besmirching the work done by the sheltered privileged almost-rich-enough-to-not-need-to-join-the peace-Corp-to-get-into-the-right-graduate-program, just that you are infact all of those things and require a lot of extra protection so the world doesn't hurt you and generate a call to the state department from some day drunk affluent wine mom worried about her Kaleb

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Looks like this lib-tard just got owned.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

500excf type r posted:

I don't recall besmirching the work done by the sheltered privileged almost-rich-enough-to-not-need-to-join-the peace-Corp-to-get-into-the-right-graduate-program, just that you are infact all of those things and require a lot of extra protection so the world doesn't hurt you and generate a call to the state department from some day drunk affluent wine mom worried about her Kaleb

Oh my god shut up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Health care personel don't call them donorcycles for nothing. Motorcycles are ten times more dangerous than cars, even in developed countries.

That's even with decent roads, roadworthiness inspections and traffic law enforcement.

One of the things here too is that while cars have gotten significantly safer since the mid 80s when the ban was put in place, motorycles really havent because intrinsically "exposed human traveling at 20+ kilometers an hour" is gonna have a bad time in an accident and theres little you can do to assuage that.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The Peace Corps program is in part to try and 'enrich' the lives of the privileged giving them a view of what it's like to be not privileged. Yes it's good work but it's impossible to get away from the fact that we send privileged people to do it mostly to develop THEM, not the people they're helping.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Elukka posted:

There's the flaw in your post. Those things are dangerous as poo poo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FoolyCharged posted:

There's the flaw in your post. Those things are dangerous as poo poo.

lol my uncle has ridden his entire life, never had an accident, etc.

he had a 'busa and pretty much the second his wife popped positive on a pregnancy test she told him to sell that piece of poo poo or he was getting divorce paperwork

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I think all new drivers should start on motorbikes. Let's just weed them out, survival of the fittest I say.

Also I wouldn't work in the Peace Corps, but is there a Grumpy but Not Violent or Aggressive Corps? I think that'd work.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

We tried a no rules style peace corps where you could gently caress all the locals and have guns and motorcycles and start businesses to develop other parts of the world but it ended up just being colonialism

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can we silence the cycle chat

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Me silencing every boomer on earth:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

We tried a no rules style peace corps where you could gently caress all the locals and have guns and motorcycles and start businesses to develop other parts of the world but it ended up just being colonialism

No I want to help people but sometimes when I get my feelings hurt I get really sad and don't think hard enough and sometimes lash out and it's never bad but it makes me feel bad even if everyone says it's fine because like I should be thinking about what I say and not be an rear end in a top hat because someone made me sad, ya know?

That, but on a motorbike.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Volunteer for meals on wheels

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm not allowed a license :(

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You can help them prepare, tray up and stack frozen meals. I used to do it a few hours a week.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

That is a good idea, and I will look into it when I am free to travel outside safely :) Volunteering is good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Poohs Packin posted:

Volunteer for meals on wheels

Just make sure its meals on four wheels.