Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.wsj.com/articles/millen...ive-11641153923

Millennials Are the Silencing Generation
Baby boomers were carefree and exuberant; our children are dour and anxious.
By F.H Buckley
Jan. 2, 2022 5:00 pm ET

Attendees listen to music at the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival near Bethel, N.Y., Aug. 14, 1969.
Photo: /Associated Press

OK millennial, you don’t care for us baby boomers. You complain that we’ve taken all the food off the table and left you the crumbs. You say we cling to our jobs and won’t make room for you. And you especially resent how, throughout, we took ownership of the zeitgeist, the spirit of the age.

In the 1960s we were a youth movement that demanded to be heard. We marched on the Pentagon and occupied college administration buildings. In the 1970s we mellowed, listened to the Band and the Eagles, and read Charles Reich’s “The Greening of America.” In the 1980s we rebounded as yuppies. We became investment bankers and lawyers, and the women among us wore suits with padded shoulders. Thereafter we ascended to political power—not always wisely, truth be told. But our music had lyrics and melodies, and our protest songs took on real injustices. We cemented a civil-rights revolution for women and minorities and left a mark on all succeeding generations.

So, of course you don’t like us. We were carefree and exuberant, while you are dour and anxious. We had Woodstock; you have safe spaces. You are Alfred de Musset’s enfants du sičcle, living in the shadow of an earlier, more exciting generation and conscious of having missed out on all the fun.

What you’ve forgotten, however, is that it’s up to each generation to make its own mark. Defining yourself by your resentment of an earlier generation isn’t how to do it. So perhaps we still have something to teach you, ungrateful wretches that you are.

What we find missing in your generation, more than anything, is laughter. We grew up on Mad magazine, which taught us to appreciate great literature (“By the shores of Gitche-Gumee / Out near Feldman’s Bagel Factory”) and prepared us for Watergate and the Clintons. When we were a little older, we subscribed to National Lampoon, a magazine that knew nothing is funny unless someone is offended, and the more they’re offended, the funnier it is. We laughed at “Blazing Saddles” and “Animal House,” films you aren’t permitted to see unless you download them when no one is looking.

The last time we saw anything funny on late-night television was Norm Macdonald’s news updates on “Saturday Night Live” in the 1990s. Now we’ll marvel at how anything resembling humor has been surgically removed from “SNL” and the talk shows. Sneering at people you despise isn’t an amusing diversion.

The generation before us used to be called the silent generation. But they weren’t silent. They invented rock ’n’ roll, the music of our time, but a genre you’ve permitted to die. And they didn’t try to cancel anyone the way you do. You are the silencing generation. The only thing we wanted to ban was banning itself. And if ever we seemed to have gone too far, if ever we had a momentary regret, we called for madder music and stronger wine.

That rubbed our elders the wrong way. We offended people. You are perpetually offended. We were John Belushi’s Bluto; you are Dean Wormer. Perhaps that’s why we could roll with Donald Trump’s offenses against taste (up to Jan. 6 anyway). Your generation, not ours, elected Joe Biden. He looked like one of Holden Caulfield’s phonies to us, and we decided we could tolerate Mr. Trump’s mean tweets. So if you want to vaunt your moral superiority, we’ll grant you Mr. Biden. Although possibly you’re having some second thoughts about that.

Frankly, when I look at your generation and realize that you’re our children, I wonder where we went wrong. Except that when I think of our excesses, I can’t be surprised that you decided to rebel in your turn. We had thought we had seen the promised land before us, but it bounded away as we approached it. And you saw us fail.

And so we offer you our forgiveness, along with the wish that you’ll pardon our offenses. We’re bound together, across the generational divide that always separates parents and children, and over which we extend to you our love and hope for the future.

One last word of advice: You won’t believe what your kids will say about you.

Mr. Buckley teaches at Scalia Law School and is author of “Progressive Conservatism: How Republicans Will Become America’s Natural Governing Party,” forthcoming in July.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna outlive that old bitch

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

his webcomic sucks!!!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:gas:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know who that is and that's a lot of words that translate to "I'm not mad, you're mad!"

Also the Eagles suck.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
what are zoomers

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Some good points there, I may give this trump fellow a shot.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
wow, this might be the worst of its kind i've ever seen, and i've hate-read a lot of them. a dude publishing a political book about how republicans will be america's "natural" governing party and somehow it slips his mind to mention power, wealth, and political influence in his incisive analysis of historical generational difference. wonder how that happened

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Just glossing over the whole “leaving the crumbs” thing.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

lol @ the silent generation not silencing anyone.

No, definitely not trying their drat best to silence anyone not straight, not white etc etc.
And some of the most powerful ones of their day certainly didn't support the German American Bund, who in turn supported those doing literal book burnings.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
We'd like to be able to pay for rent and food.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

lol @ the silent generation not silencing anyone.

No, definitely not trying their drat best to silence anyone not straight, not white etc etc.
And some of the most powerful ones of their day certainly didn't support the German American Bund, who in turn supported those doing literal book burnings.

The oldest silents were 13 when the german American Bund dissolved? I think you're mixing up the silents and greatest generation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

Just glossing over the whole “leaving the crumbs” thing.

Yeah, lol.

"Why are you guys so dour, stressed, and broke all the time? Cheer up!"

"Can we maybe get paid on par with what you were making in the 60's?"

"gently caress no, those profits are my god given right, get back to work slacker!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
drat, WSJ giving the NYT a run for its money on who can craft the better hateclickbait articles.

Not going to waste my time giving that shitheel and his toilet paper publication my attention. At least that whiny "my horrible husband" op-ed was funny to laugh at.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

reignonyourparade posted:

The oldest silents were 13 when the german American Bund dissolved? I think you're mixing up the silents and greatest generation.

Oh, you're right. Thought they were older.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Boomers in the UK are to blame for Brexit

In short, gently caress boomers

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Isn't it the lot of every generation's youth to be termed dour and anxious by their elders??

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh my god, I'm loving 30 stop trying to chide me into calling you every day because you're bored, I got poo poo to do and a baby to care for, an actual baby less than a year old

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Every passing day there are fewer boomers on the planet and that is objectively a good thing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ProperCoochie posted:

Every passing day there are fewer boomers on the planet and that is objectively a good thing.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

funny to imagine what set this loser off to write his hate screed about the earths population born in a certain time like some kind of astrologist with dementia. This guy is about a decade late to the “avocado toast” social media hate baiting, and most people have learned to move on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna outlive that old bitch

Yeah, I refuse to die until he's dead.
Put "Outlived an old bitch" on my tombstone.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

syntaxfunction posted:

Also the Eagles suck.

They really do.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*Grinds teeth as the drama queen narcissist generation whines and cries because they don’t feel special enough*

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Boomer culture sucks

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

syntaxfunction posted:

Also the Eagles suck.

Grape posted:

They really do.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What is it about Buckleys being huge weenies?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
ok boomer

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My "thoughts" are that this person needs to be the first against the wall, op

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I bet I could whip his rear end lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

he does not gently caress

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Who the gently caress do they think will be looking after them in the nursing home? With all their bullshit self fellating jabs at the younger generations they're likely to be piled up on top of each other in a room and set on fire before someone takes care of them in their dotage.

But I know that won't happen because younger generations are actually more compassionate than these selfish bums.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Viginti Septem posted:

We'd like to be able to pay for rent and food.

Get a job, hippie lol

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
kids today don't know what it was like living in America's Golden Age, they don't know what it was like to watch... Animal House?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Remember life before the internet and central air conditioning? It was PERFECT. also I had several hair and Jessica looked at me in algebra class

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Big Beef City posted:

Remember life before the internet and central air conditioning? It was PERFECT. also I had several hair and Jessica looked at me in algebra class

Here he is at his peak during the 1970s. He had more hair:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK boomers, you don’t care for us millenials. You complain that we ate too much avocado off the table and left you the pit. You say we cling to our phones and won't show you how to use them. And you especially resent how, throughout, we took ownership of gender.

Call me, WSJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BrassRoots posted:

Who the gently caress do they think will be looking after them in the nursing home?

Let them find out