Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

lobster shirt posted:

perfectly reasonable post and position and no i don't think this is anti-natalist

the poster didn't even use the word "snot-goblin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Yeah antinatalism is about hating your own life so much you start to believe everyone else does too and it's bad to be born.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I called it soft antinatalist because I do think it implies that collectively some of us are morally obligated to not reproduce. And I do think that obligation is stronger if you’re living in America, reaping the benefits of overconsumption and imperialism. We should be having fewer kids and preparing to take in hundreds of millions of climate refugees.

This is part of my personal hesitation about having kids. The other part is that I just see way too much potential for suffering in their lifetime. How can I explain the climate crises and likely wars, famine, etc that will accompany it to a 16 year who I brought into this world knowing full well they’ll be forced to live much deeper into that crisis than I? How can I face my child and say “yes, when I decided to conceive you I knew that the world was going to poo poo and would be for your entire life. I knew nothing I could do would insulate you from those crises.” For me, I don’t think I can do that.

As mentioned upthread, this is all an argument for adoption, especially if you have the means. I wonder if the coming years will see a rise in international adoption of children from the most climate-vulnerable places.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!
war and environmental collapse, two things that are completely unique to our era. no one else has ever had to endure these in our collective history. it is evil to produce children under these conditions.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

croup coughfield posted:

fursonally, its the moralistic (but not moral) and misanthropic foundation of antinatalism that i find so odious. dead-ender poo poo for lazy and depressed losers

ye

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The scale of both will be unique to our era

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

croup coughfield posted:

war and environmental collapse, two things that are completely unique to our era. no one else has ever had to endure these in our collective history. it is evil to produce children under these conditions.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

well call me a natalist cuz i'm starting to feel like i'm BONED

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

not my problem

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
i am anti-natalist because i am against goons reproducing

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol one degree? bump your air conditioning down one degree to compensate dumbass. even a child ironically would understand that

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hubbert posted:

i am anti-natalist because i am against goons reproducing

not a big surprise the climate thread poster is worried about poo poo that doesn't happen

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

not a big surprise the climate thread poster is worried about poo poo that doesn't happen

agreed

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol i saw that. you are worried about me making good posts

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

lol i saw that. you are worried about me making good posts

you got me!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i wonder if goon reproductivity is even that far off from average either way. probably not

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Since you got me, Cuttlefush, I'll engage this thread with some sincerity now.

Truth be told, I really don't mind if people choose to have children or not. What matters the most are the obligations we have to future generations, and this also goes for those who choose not to reproduce. For example, while I'm staunchly against having children for myself for a number of reasons, I'm still really happy to be an uncle - I even started the education fund for the kid, and I contribute every month, because I want to give them the best shot possible for the future.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
how much crossover is there between the antinatalist and incel communities

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
filthy natalist...

500 good dogs posted:

how much crossover is there between the antinatalist and incel communities

pretty much none that isn't just coincidental

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 17:16 on May 19, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hubbert posted:

Since you got me, Cuttlefush, I'll engage this thread with some sincerity now.

Truth be told, I really don't mind if people choose to have children or not. What matters the most are the obligations we have to future generations, and this also goes for those who choose not to reproduce. For example, while I'm staunchly against having children for myself for a number of reasons, I'm still really happy to be an uncle - I even started the education fund for the kid, and I contribute every month, because I want to give them the best shot possible for the future.

congrats on being the cool uncle OP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What is natalism? Is it those loving freaks trying to have 11 kids for 7 generations cause they think their genes are superior, Elon etc? Is it everyone who is "concerned" about declining birthrates? Is it anyone who thinks we need population growth (MattY and his dumb book)?

Is there an example of a less extreme pro-natalist position?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

bawfuls posted:

What is natalism? Is it those loving freaks trying to have 11 kids for 7 generations cause they think their genes are superior, Elon etc? Is it everyone who is "concerned" about declining birthrates? Is it anyone who thinks we need population growth (MattY and his dumb book)?

Is there an example of a less extreme pro-natalist position?

most religions have some component. some political/social programs historically and currently. i think france and japan had pretty recent/ongoing campaigns I'd call natalist? it's kind of arguable whether that's natalist as in "it's good to reproduce, morally speaking" or just a sober take of demographics if the birth rate didn't increase. non-extreme pro-natalism is sort of the default, right? you congratulate couples on having kids. pretty much every culture values raising children. the only standouts are the 'extreme' natalism cases.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

yeah, everything is going to be alright.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eyyyyyy now that's a bright looking future!!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I don’t want humans to go extinct.

Speak for yourself

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

most religions have some component. some political/social programs historically and currently. i think france and japan had pretty recent/ongoing campaigns I'd call natalist? it's kind of arguable whether that's natalist as in "it's good to reproduce, morally speaking" or just a sober take of demographics if the birth rate didn't increase. non-extreme pro-natalism is sort of the default, right? you congratulate couples on having kids. pretty much every culture values raising children. the only standouts are the 'extreme' natalism cases.
Does natalism require an implicit support for population growth, or is aiming for replacement level still natalism?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Sarah Connor politics

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bawfuls posted:

Does natalism require an implicit support for population growth, or is aiming for replacement level still natalism?

If you are promoting birth then it's natalism.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

having babies is evil. if you're a baby go gently caress yourself

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah doesn't really matter. doesn't even have to factor in. i don't think it's very useful outside of the moralistic bit though. population policy made to stave off demographic collapse because that could cause societal dysfunction (wehther that's true or not - doesnt matter) it's really natalist compared to something like Quiverfull or 1920s USSR propaganda (though here the policy isn't natalist, propaganda is). or when someone's parents pressure them to have kids.

you could go around calling anyone who doesn't want humans to go extinct a natalist if you wanted to but i think it'd be kinda silly

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

having babies is evil. if you're a baby go gently caress yourself

brave last words to a thread full of stewies

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

at the risk of taking this thread too seriously, the “soft” antinatalist argument seems straightforward to me:

I accept the obvious reality that humanity is presently consuming resources far beyond the carrying capacity of this planet, hence the ongoing breakdown. I would prefer humanity to survive the coming ecological collapse and am not yet so doomer as to think our extinction is guaranteed by climate change. To get through what lies ahead, the human population will at some point be reduced. I’d prefer to see it reduced gradually, though the voluntary choices of some people to not reproduce, rather than through famine, drought, and war brought on by limited resources and a shrinking habitat. Maybe the latter is guaranteed, but with fewer people the material conditions will be different and resource pressures not as acute, so perhaps suffering can be reduced.

It just so happens that we’ve seen falling fertility rates as standards of living rise. Specifically access to birth control, women gaining bodily autonomy, and reductions in child mortality all seem to be key. This is great, as it means the people who are most likely to voluntarily decide not to reproduce, also tend to live in societies which consume more resources. Those are exactly the places we should want fewer kids, as it slows the rate at which we’re shoving fuel onto the tire fire that is the global environment.

Worrying about replacing/growing the workforce sounds like a concern for capital, which demands endless geometric growth. We already know this is physically incompatible with our long term survival on a finite planet. Our reproductive goal should be to reach a stable global human population at a level which the planet can sustain. Forcing this on people is deeply immoral, and it is also unnecessary.

Is this anti-natalist? I don’t want everyone to stop having kids, I don’t want humans to go extinct. I want everyone to have easy access to birth control & quality healthcare, I want women to have control over their bodies, and for enough of us to decide on our own that we don’t need to reproduce. I want this because it strikes me as our best shot at both surviving the shitstorm we’ve created and at reducing suffering during the unfolding crises.

I don't think your position has anything to do with anti-natalism.

"soft" anti-natalism is eugenics.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cuttlefush posted:

anyway antinatalism inevitably leads to cringeclusions if you talk about it, especially on an internet forum. it's not a good thing to argue if only because you'll walk into rakes and get owned (not the only reason imo). trying to tie it into "improve material conditions" is just loving up a good thing to argue. antinatalism is a moralizing position no matter how you dress it up. and like disco elysium taught us all, morals are bad

i also don't see how you can improve material conditions if there's not enough young people around to work to improve them. we already have serious problems in the west being run by a gerontocracy, it's not gonna get better.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Worrying about replacing/growing the workforce sounds like a concern for capital, which demands endless geometric growth. We already know this is physically incompatible with our long term survival on a finite planet. Our reproductive goal should be to reach a stable global human population at a level which the planet can sustain. Forcing this on people is deeply immoral, and it is also unnecessary.

Is this anti-natalist? I don’t want everyone to stop having kids, I don’t want humans to go extinct. I want everyone to have easy access to birth control & quality healthcare, I want women to have control over their bodies, and for enough of us to decide on our own that we don’t need to reproduce. I want this because it strikes me as our best shot at both surviving the shitstorm we’ve created and at reducing suffering during the unfolding crises.

100% disagree. no matter the kind of economic system in place labour is the nexus of our economy and society. capital's current obsession is to cut out labour as much as possible in order to chase profit even as we hurtle towards crises as the rate of profit continues to fall

labour is necessary for whatever we plan to do about climate change, and in order to create a sustainable society we need people to do that work. an absolute ton of it! this will necessarily require economic growth, but not for the pursuit of profit and exploitation of labour, but towards a society that owns the means of production and acts as stewards to the entire biosphere that we all rely on.

a demographic crisis will make transitioning to a sustainable society extremely difficult because we need enough people to do the work. I agree that a growing standard of living is a great way to reduce birth rates, but I also think people who have kids should receive significant support from society so that having kids isn't a terrible financial burden and that your decision to have kids is based on how many you can afford to have.

i also think that most people in the global south who seek this better standard of living through industrialization and modernization are going to accept degrowth

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ah, yes, that is what will make transitioning to a sustainable society difficult

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
durrrrr

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I don't think your position has anything to do with anti-natalism.

"soft" anti-natalism is eugenics.

It's very funny to brand eugenics as some progressive view though.

bawfuls posted:

Our reproductive goal should be to reach a stable global human population at a level which the planet can sustain

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i dont think its "obvious reality" that there aren't enough resources to sustain the current global population

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
look the georgia guidestones didn't say keep mankind above 500,000,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah whether or not that gets eugenics-y really depends on what someone's idea of "can sustain" means. if it's "a lot less than current" and you are thinking in terms of "we should do policy that aims for this lower number", welp