Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

In the biosphere thread over the past few weeks there has been back and forth discussion on the natalism. Rather than clog up that thread with the contending natalist and antinatalist viewpoints, we can have the discussion here.

Personally, I don't find the natalist argument very compelling. "You can't fight a natural impulse" is idiotic considering how many natural impulses we overcome on a daily basis in addition to being an incoherent position once you examine natalism in the real world. "Antinatalism is malthusian/racist/genocide" similarly doesn't make any sense whatsoever once natalism's impact on the real world is examined. Like so many things, unrestricted natalism sounds good in theory but in practice leads to terrible outcomes for people everywhere. This isn't just speculation, but an observation based on the historical results of natalism as a policy.

I could be wrong though. I'd be willing to listen to the counter arguments. You'll need to be very convincing though to make me think that a modern reestablishment of a Boer-controlled Natalia Republic or Natal Free State would do anything to improve our climate future.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 00:06 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Once again I am asking where is the Leftist Quiverfull movement??

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Op, I'm sorry for you because you can't gently caress

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

bedpan posted:

I could be wrong though. I'd be willing to listen to the counter arguments. You'll need to be very convincing though to make me think that a modern reestablishment of a Boer-controlled Natalia Republic or Natal Free State would do anything to improve our climate future.
The leading antinatalist philosopher is actually a white (English) south african.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Benatar

He really doesn't like those Boer republics!

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 95 days!
just cant figure out why my philosophy that ends with the extinction of the human race isnt gaining traction with humans

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

being able to comfortably afford children is a class indicator

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I don’t care about this pointless debate at all, but I’m glad there’s a containment thread now so I don’t have to read posts about it interrupting the pointless debate that does interest me. :cheers:

Also

KirbyKhan posted:

Op, I'm sorry for you because you can't gently caress

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Im the chad childless father and youre the virgin Pussy Toucher

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
child care is 2k a month where i live and we have no family to watch our kid

easy decision

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i had a coworker tell me that he and his wife had to spend her entire salary on daycare the first year of their kid's life

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

that's too much lol

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
masturbatalism

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The world is horrible and both my gf and I had a rough time coming up and we'd rather not put anyone through that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I’m having a kid this year

and probably another one next year

perhaps even a 3rd the following

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 95 days!
lot of justifying individual choices in a thread purporting to be about a social philosophy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
for every free state you dont have i'll have three

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

lot of justifying individual choices in a thread purporting to be about a social philosophy

didn't read the op sorry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

for every baby you dont have i'll have three

exactly this

triggered much goons????

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

SorePotato posted:

being able to comfortably afford children is a class indicator

worrying about the affordability of having children is a class indicator

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Xaris posted:

exactly this

triggered much goons????

??

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Onion Kelly cartoon with a school shooter standing in an empty classroom crying lady liberty behind him "Huh? Guess I'll just go home then"

Anti-natalism guy looking through the window "Yes! hahaha! Yes!"

Corner Kelly: School's out forever

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

in the future we won't need children. you can gestate your sperm in a vat and in 5 months you have a fully grown 12 year old ready to move out and enter the workforce

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
In 2007, average birth rates were right around 2 children per woman. By 2021, levels had dropped more than 20%, close to the lowest level in a century.

antinatalism is gaining traction

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Anti natalism seems to be inexorably winning across the globe in practical terms(below replacement fertility) even if the philosophy itself isn't very popular

Granted probably not fast enough for people in doomer threads

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
lmao

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 95 days!
patiently explaining to the judge for the third time that im an anti-natalist, i think children are bad, and therefore its tyrannical for force me to support them

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I mean, I'm alright with kids generally, but humanity as a whole is a bitter disappointment and there being fewer of us around sounds fine.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

every anti-natalist sees themselves as Rust Cohle and the world sees them as r/childfree

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

antinatalism as a personal choice is fine, not everybody needs to have kids and if for whatever reason you do not wish to have kids that is fine and you should be permitted to do that. perfectly valid choice.

antinatalism as an overarching philosophy or god forbid governmental policy is bad and wrong. the extinction of the human race would be bad and i hope you can understand why most people would not be on board with that.

pro natalism in the sense of encouraging people to give birth is probably not necessary given the earths resource constraints but certainly any worthwhile political project would make it as easy as possible for people to be parents - free childcare, free schools, free healthcare etc. free formula, legal protections for nursing mothers, you get the idea.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 95 days!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

every anti-natalist sees themselves as Rust Cohle

lmfao never considered this angle before

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

also if you personally believe that humanity should go extinct or that literlly nothing can be done about a climate apocalypse then why do you even pay attention to politics, if i thought we only had like 10 good years left or whatever i would be out having fun, doing drugs, living the life not posting on somethingawful lol. what a grim way to spend ones final antediluvian moments.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

natalist horseshoe theory

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

lmfao never considered this angle before

lemme introduce you to the world of "thomas ligotti fan meme accounts" on instagram

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
I feel guilt at all the waste my baby generates

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 95 days!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lemme introduce you to the world of "thomas ligotti fan meme accounts" on instagram

lets see em

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

croup coughfield posted:

just cant figure out why my philosophy that ends with the extinction of the human race isnt gaining traction with humans

Most Antinatalists aren't advocating for extinction, they're advocating for degrowth for a few generations

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 95 days!

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Most Antinatalists aren't advocating for extinction, they're advocating for degrowth for a few generations

thats not the impression ive gotten reading the climate collapse thread

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
busting raw just feels better, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

lol