Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I skipped alot of chapters in Mortis and I'm not sorry.

E: overall though I'm very happy with the siege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

von Metternich posted:

I would also like to know this

The Reverie has this ominous gothic horror vibe, so maybe like Bram Stoker's Dracula, or like Hell House by Richard Matheson?

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 12, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I skipped alot of chapters in Mortis and I'm not sorry.

E: overall though I'm very happy with the siege

I can't wait to get around to Mortis just to see what everyone is saying is so bad about it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AndyElusive posted:

I can't wait to get around to Mortis just to see what everyone is saying is so bad about it.

its boring op

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
It's amazing comparing its quality with Saturnine and Warhawk.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

It's amazing comparing its quality with Saturnine and Warhawk.

saturnine continues to blow my wig across the room on rereads. it’s just astonishing at how much abnett’s prose has improved since the eisenhorn/Gaunt’s Ghosts early days. just, like, the writerly craft in that book is so consistently strong, it wows me

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm reading Double Eagle by Abnett right now and he somehow makes describing an airfield interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, the actual operations of a military airfield are super interesting and he just put some fun characters into that and used it as a reason to stress them out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, the actual operations of a military airfield are super interesting and he just put some fun characters into that and used it as a reason to stress them out.

I feel like a number of people would not actually find it interesting IRL

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anything can be made interesting if it’s written well enough, but a high stress high tension workplace of any sort, especially one that has high tech machinery that can very easily explode, and can be highly damaged when it’s coming back? That sounds fairly easy to make interesting. Then you chuck in overlapping responsibilities, bureaucracies and emergencies with some interesting characters and you’re golden. Works the same for an airfield or a munitions factory as a setting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There was a small LARP game where all the players (mostly women afaik) played airbase comms crew during the Battle of Britain, it sounded pretty neat.

https://wildwinter.medium.com/wing-and-a-prayer-stress-and-structure-827d0779f872

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

thocan posted:

I've heard (can't find a source though) that the last few books will eventually be re recorded with Longworth. They're just doing all of the thus-far unrecorded books first.

On the one hand, that's good news. On the other hand, I had mentally settled on just reading through the audiobook-gap and finishing with the last three audiobooks because I loving love the series, and now I'm contemplating putting it off for...I assume 2 years by BL standards?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

On the one hand, that's good news. On the other hand, I had mentally settled on just reading through the audiobook-gap and finishing with the last three audiobooks because I loving love the series, and now I'm contemplating putting it off for...I assume 2 years by BL standards?

Yeah, I'm in the same space. It sucks, but I enjoy the narration enough that I'm ok riding it out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I'm gonna make a wild swing here and state that exactly 0% of those people are interested in warhams in the first place anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Anything can be made interesting if it’s written well enough, but a high stress high tension workplace of any sort, especially one that has high tech machinery that can very easily explode, and can be highly damaged when it’s coming back? That sounds fairly easy to make interesting. Then you chuck in overlapping responsibilities, bureaucracies and emergencies with some interesting characters and you’re golden. Works the same for an airfield or a munitions factory as a setting.

I'm not disagreeing with that. A good writer can make something more interesting on the page than in reality.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The thread has sold me that I - a 40k and horror fan - need to read all of the Peter Fehervari books immediately. Is there an order that's recommended other than release order?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Put me down as another one who is struggling to get through Mortis. I guess Warhawk doesn't come out in paperback until March/April so I got some time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Are there any AoS books that are worth reading? I'm painting up some Stormcast this week and would love some inspiration.

I like the new books, Dominion, and Thunderstrike and other stories.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The thread has sold me that I - a 40k and horror fan - need to read all of the Peter Fehervari books immediately. Is there an order that's recommended other than release order?

Have fun

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/10/31/a-travellers-guide-to-the-dark-coil/

And

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I just wanna say, it’s always bothered me the clean and futuristic aesthetics of the space marines spaceship in Astartes, the one they embark from. It looks like the Rocinante in the Expanse show, not the dank, stone and steel grungy gothic of the 41st millennium. Really misses the mark for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm halfway through The Twice-dead King: Ruin and it really goes deep into necron psychology and also there's a surprising amount of body horror in it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm halfway through The Twice-dead King: Ruin and it really goes deep into necron psychology and also there's a surprising amount of body horror in it.

Yeah i'm slightly past halfway and good lord the way necrons are depicted are incredibly tragic and hosed up

Also psychologically unnerving as hell

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

OMG YES! i havent even goten to the halfway point and its endless drudgery. Like this book is afraid of doing anything interesting and is juggling to many characters and plots. LIKE PICK ONE GODAMN IT AND STICK
TO IT!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

I just wanna say, it’s always bothered me the clean and futuristic aesthetics of the space marines spaceship in Astartes, the one they embark from. It looks like the Rocinante in the Expanse show, not the dank, stone and steel grungy gothic of the 41st millennium. Really misses the mark for me.

I found this, too.

I don't want to poo poo on the series because it was so important in getting GW stuff back on the map for some people, but the whole thing doesn't feel WH40k to me. It felt like watching a (very cool) video about generic armoured space dudes with guns in a very sterile setting.

Whereas the Death of Hope videos are 40k as gently caress. But again, I appreciate the sheer amount of dedication and work that went into Astartes from someone literally doing it as an unpaid hobby and feel like an ungrateful grognard to compare it to something as insane as that or the Inquisitor short film.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I dunno, if anyone has shiny and clean ships it’ll be the space monks whose gleaming ships and armour are a rare beacon of hope for the Imperium. That, and I thought they acted like Space Marines would, resolute, unyielding and mostly calm super soldiers. Death of Hope was edgy tripe

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Death of Hope was edgy tripe

Yeah, some of it was "look how hosed up I can be" stuff that a 15 yearold would be all about, but it's level of detail, animation, sense of weight and monstrous power of the space marines was perfect and it really captured that "ancient gothic religious crusdae" that 40k needs. Not to mention the actual ridiculous horror of the setting.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Can anyone recommend some non-Warhammer books that Fehervari reminds them of?

Someone elsewhere recommended Revelation Space, I'm about 2/3 in to the book, and it's hitting all the right notes for me so far.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2021

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Cool, managed to pick up The Founding, The Lost, and Pariah for less than $10 each on ebay. It's nice to find these for a reasonable price.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Saturnine is really good but Penitent is Abnett's best writing, IMO. He just nails the high-victorian horror aesthetic that makes domestic 40k so much fun to read.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

OPAONI posted:

Saturnine is really good but Penitent is Abnett's best writing, IMO. He just nails the high-victorian horror aesthetic that makes domestic 40k so much fun to read.

The part where they have an autoseance session where they first raise the ghost and then get invaded by the sorcerers was loving incredibly on the Audiobook.

Let us in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Warden posted:

The part where they have an autoseance session where they first raise the ghost and then get invaded by the sorcerers was loving incredibly on the Audiobook.

Let us in.

I love how far back things go with the different factions in Penitent. The Immaterial College being dudes who were on loving Istvaan is wild.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Warden posted:

Let us in.

Oh yeah. That and the race through the catacombs? loving incredible.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Dog_Meat posted:

Bring on Warhawk

Sorry for the self quote, but I'm 8% into Warhawk and it's already head, shoulders, chest and groin above Mortis. Jesus, the difference...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

Sorry for the self quote, but I'm 8% into Warhawk and it's already head, shoulders, chest and groin above Mortis. Jesus, the difference...

Mortis is poor as hell.

I killed off Pretorian of Dorn today and realised that in doing so I’ve read everything the black library has put out in the Horus heresy series. Every novel, audiobook, short story, novella etc . I’d say “lockdown was good for something!” But I could have read something good. So much turgid, bad bad bad bad SF, not at all outweighing the good and great.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah Penitent is better than Saturnine (just) but that’s an insanely high bar to hit. I don’t expect there ever to be another BL book as good as Penitent, we’ll be lucky if Pandaemonium comes close.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I noticed I have the first 10 HH books thanks to humble bundle and I had previously only read a handful back when the books first came out. I'm definitely gonna skip the bad ones but I want to give the series a proper shot before i get into the siege.

unfortunately i have terminal robot brains and will read anything about the iron hands

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I liked Penitent (some parts very much so), but I found it a clear step down from the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series. Parts of the book just felt rushed. I remember finding one sentence that made absolutely no sense and was clearly mid-editing when the manuscript was shipped off to print.

Two things that annoyed me in particular:

-So. Many. Space. Marines. I remember when Eisenhorn encountered the traitor marine in Xenos. That was a huge deal. By the end of Pariah, I had totally lost count of all the different marines and traitor marines around.
-Comus Nocturnus is an annoying deus ex machina. Seriously, it seems as if a good 40-60% of Bequin's problems in the book are solved by either I set my limiter to off (seriously: try to count how many times that old trick is used) or I cast summon Comus.

I'm a huge Abnett fan, but these things in particular felt off. The way he describes Queen Mab is sublime, however and the scene with the mad astrologer/mathematician is as brilliant as anything he's written. Overall, I felt the book was uneven (though I would absolutely recommend it) and parts of it was not up to the standard I expect from him.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I liked it well enough, but it wasn't as good as his typical Gaunt's stuff, IMO.

The cliff hanger is probably one of my most anticipated in any book so far, tho. There is a lot riding on that.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I legit gasped like I was reading a Victorian penny dreadful. Had an interesting chat with him about how he got permission to do it, and what a mindfuck it was. Just super enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
God, I gotta reread Eisenhorn, and Ravenor and then read The Magos and Pariah. Been sitting on my copy of Pariah since 2012 because I was waiting for the trilogy lol