Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The good etrian Odysseys are 4 and 2 Untold, in that order. The good fire emblems are all of them, but fates conquest is best, followed by fates birthright and awakening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Genocyber posted:

Any of you mind giving me a shortlist of good 3DS games to look out for? Namely RPG/action RPG sort of stuff (e.g. Zelda, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, FE).

Related, what EO/FE games should I look out for specifically. If I'm not mistaken there's both sequels and remakes of the original few games on the DS for EO, and there's like 3+ FE games on the 3DS currently?

Etrian Odyssey 4 is the one to start with, I think. It has tons of quality of life improvements and a really catchy soundtrack. Rune Factory 4 is pretty fun, if you're looking for something a little more "casual"; most of its deeper systems are centered around farm and town stuff.

Pokemon X/Y was real good, but a new one is coming out soon. Same with Yokai Watch; Yokai Watch 2 comes out like next month or something and, in proper Level 5 fashion, is straight-up an upgrade over the first one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rexroom posted:

Well, that'll fix the issue of getting all the wrong villagers to your town. :v:

I don't suppose they're going to support all those Happy Home Designer cards.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Unlock the wiiu thread

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deadly_pudding posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 is the one to start with, I think. It has tons of quality of life improvements and a really catchy soundtrack. Rune Factory 4 is pretty fun, if you're looking for something a little more "casual"; most of its deeper systems are centered around farm and town stuff.

Yeah you can't go wrong with EO4 and it's dirt cheap on Atlus sales, like $10-15. EOU and EOU2 are also great (with U2 being better) but play 4 first because there are a few interface improvements in U and U2 that will be hard to do without if you play them out of order. Don't worry about jumping around the series other than that though, there's no story connection and the games are pretty much entirely independent.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Silver Falcon posted:

Hyrule Warriors is stupid fun and has a stupid amount of content. I've never played a Warriors-type game in my life but I love HyWar.

I wish there was a demo so I could see how lovely it runs on my 2ds

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

I don't suppose they're going to support all those Happy Home Designer cards.

Why wouldn't they? All the villagers that got cards are villagers in New Leaf

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Armacham posted:

Not only does it run poorly but it spawns fewer enemies at a time without changing the kills or time requirements for A ranks, which you need to progress in Adventure mode. The WiiU version is my favorite Musou game but Legends disappointing on the old 3DS.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Armacham posted:

Errr, but there is a demo?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rexroom posted:

Errr, but there is a demo?

Euro confirmed

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Europe is the greatest nation on Earth.

And speaking of nations, in the one of the rising sun, they just got a new Culdcept game for the 3DS. It's getting mad reviews and great word of mouth. It sold however a mere 29k copies on its opening week. Yet, it still managed to be the top seller for that week. Japan's videogame market is completely dead.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 20, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

And speaking of nations, in the one of the rising sun, they just got a new Culdcept game for the 3DS. It's getting mad reviews and great word of mouth. It sold however a mere 29k copies on its opening week. Yet, it still managed to be the top seller for that week. Japan's videogame market is completely dead.

And you know this is never gonna come out here, but eventually someone will make a Culdcept-clone for Steam that sells gangbusters ala Stardew Valley.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

voltcatfish posted:

Unlock the wiiu thread

:yeah:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats what you get for spending a page not talking about video games!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah it's not actually a crew chat thread like the mod seemed to think, it just had a bad few pages after someone brought up gamergate (what a surprise)

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The July chat thread is the wii u thread, please keep forum canon

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

rabidsquid posted:

Is hyrule warriors legends review scores tanked because it runs bad on a regular 3ds? i thought it sounded fun and i have a new 3ds so.

It is a lovely game

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokemon-movie-live-action-legendary-1201818838/

If the live action Pokemon movie happens, it will be... a detective pikachu movie.

Maybe we can get the game now?

Also holy poo poo detective pikachu movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

xedo posted:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokemon-movie-live-action-legendary-1201818838/

If the live action Pokemon movie happens, it will be... a detective pikachu movie.

Maybe we can get the game now?

Also holy poo poo detective pikachu movie.

They better loving cast Danny Devito.

It'll probably be bland rear end Nolan North or Troy Baker. :smith:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Saoshyant posted:

You guys don't even have Rhythm Heaven Megamix :911:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They better loving cast Danny Devito.

It'll probably be bland rear end Nolan North or Troy Baker. :smith:

His response to people demanding that he voice Detective Pikachu was "What the gently caress is Pokemon?" I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

Nolan North can do a ton of different voices. It's just that everyone wants him to do the Drake voice for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ScTAeHBKk4

I will die on the hill that vashyron is easily his best game role performance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

His response to people demanding that he voice Detective Pikachu was "What the gently caress is Pokemon?" I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

Nolan North can do a ton of different voices. It's just that everyone wants him to do the Drake voice for some reason.

Troy Baker too. We're probably not going to hear do his voice for Excalibur from Soul Eater or Valvatorez from Disgaea 4 ever again. :(

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I could see H. Jon Benjamin doing a good Detective Pikachu. Or Maurice LaMarche.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm well aware he doesn't know what Pokemon is. Which would make his performance all the more better.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

The actor that played dumbledore didn't know what Harry Potter was at all and just acted like he thought an old wizard should act

It would be p cool if someone told Danny devito he was playing a yellow mouse monster that shoots electricity named pikachu and he just took it and ran the same way

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also, I'm well aware that Baker/North/Blum can do more than one voice, but they're cast for the one voice they do and I don't want them cast in things because of that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Super No Vacancy posted:

hey thread i just bought raspberry pi to fiddle with and isnt there a thingy to bootleg myself a nintendo zone streetpass dealie on it? does that still work/is there an easy guide for idiot fiddlers

Google for spillpass and see if it works with the version of the pi you have. I have one set up, it works wonderfully and I can play streetpass games until I get bored.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

The actor that played dumbledore didn't know what Harry Potter was at all and just acted like he thought an old wizard should act

Yeah and it showed because he was really really bad and the first actor was so perfect :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Terper posted:

Yeah and it showed because he was really really bad and the first actor was so perfect :(

Harris was great in the movies he was in (one of the only good things about them honestly) but he would have looked ridiculous as Action Dumbledore in the later ones.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You fools! You're going to get this thread locked with all that Harry Potter talk!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Any of you mind giving me a shortlist of good 3DS games to look out for? Namely RPG/action RPG sort of stuff (e.g. Zelda, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, FE).

Related, what EO/FE games should I look out for specifically. If I'm not mistaken there's both sequels and remakes of the original few games on the DS for EO, and there's like 3+ FE games on the 3DS currently?

-Bravely Default and its sequel Bravely Second
These are basically sequels to the Final Fantasy Job system type games taken to the extreme. Like Making a Black/White mage in FF5 has nothing on the crazy stuff you can do in these.

-SMT4 which is a great SMT game sorta in the vein of the older ones. There is also a sequel to it coming out soon, SMT4 Apocalypse that directly continues after the events of SMT4. The battles are still sprite based if that's an issue

-SMT: Devil Survivor 1+2
These were DS games they remade for the 3DS, they're weird in that they're the only SMT games that take place on grid-based combat (Tactics style). I liked 1 and never played 2.

-Persona Q
I love Persona 3 and 4 and for me this game was extremely awesome at first and then my interest in it dropped off a cliff at some point about halfway in. Gets really repetitive, the characters turn into one-note versions of themselves, the gameplay is badly balanced.

-Fire Emblem Awakening
This is the first 3DS FE and added a bunch of stuff that's a bit broken that the next games would fix.

-Fire Emblem: Birthright
-Fire Emblem: Conquest
-Fire Emblem: Revelations
This is where it gets complicated, All of these are technically branches of the same story but you have to buy them seperately. If you buy either Birthright or Conquest the other one can be bought once you launch the game for $20 instead of full price, and Revelations is a DLC 3rd path for either one of them as well. I've only played Birthright and Conquest but both are good, long games and my fear at them splitting up one game to sell twice ended up being unfounded. Conquest is harder and has better map design and you choose the side of Fantasy Europe, Birthright is easier, lets you grind up characters, and you're on the team of Fantasy Japan. Personally I think Conquest is the better game if you're gonna choose just one

-Pokemon XY
The new generation for 3DS (Gen 6). The first time the series went fully 3D in a main game.
-Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Remakes of Gen 3 (the GBA games)
-Coming soon: Pokemon Sun/Moon
Gen 7, out later this year

-Etrian Odyssey 4
Good EO game and the first on the 3DS. I really like this game. Well balanced jobs throughout multiple stages of the game, varied labyrinths, interesting world. Great starting point for the EO series for anyone imo

-Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 + 2
These are remakes of EO1 and EO2, in 3D, with redone soundtracks and for the first time an actual story added back in. Like, your party is preset characters with voice acting and anime tropes. You can choose to turn it off if you want. I got EOU1 and personally didn't enjoy it much because even remade EO1 was a rough game, maybe I'll go back to it sometime.

Also soon there will be Dragon Quest 7 and 8

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

-Bravely Default and its sequel Bravely Second
These are basically sequels to the Final Fantasy Job system type games taken to the extreme. Like Making a Black/White mage in FF5 has nothing on the crazy stuff you can do in these.

-SMT4 which is a great SMT game sorta in the vein of the older ones. There is also a sequel to it coming out soon, SMT4 Apocalypse that directly continues after the events of SMT4. The battles are still sprite based if that's an issue

-SMT: Devil Survivor 1+2
These were DS games they remade for the 3DS, they're weird in that they're the only SMT games that take place on grid-based combat (Tactics style). I liked 1 and never played 2.

-Persona Q
I love Persona 3 and 4 and for me this game was extremely awesome at first and then my interest in it dropped off a cliff at some point about halfway in. Gets really repetitive, the characters turn into one-note versions of themselves, the gameplay is badly balanced.

-Fire Emblem Awakening
This is the first 3DS FE and added a bunch of stuff that's a bit broken that the next games would fix.

-Fire Emblem: Birthright
-Fire Emblem: Conquest
-Fire Emblem: Revelations
This is where it gets complicated, All of these are technically branches of the same story but you have to buy them seperately. If you buy either Birthright or Conquest the other one can be bought once you launch the game for $20 instead of full price, and Revelations is a DLC 3rd path for either one of them as well. I've only played Birthright and Conquest but both are good, long games and my fear at them splitting up one game to sell twice ended up being unfounded. Conquest is harder and has better map design and you choose the side of Fantasy Europe, Birthright is easier, lets you grind up characters, and you're on the team of Fantasy Japan. Personally I think Conquest is the better game if you're gonna choose just one

-Pokemon XY
The new generation for 3DS (Gen 6). The first time the series went fully 3D in a main game.
-Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Remakes of Gen 3 (the GBA games)
-Coming soon: Pokemon Sun/Moon
Gen 7, out later this year

-Etrian Odyssey 4
Good EO game and the first on the 3DS. I really like this game. Well balanced jobs throughout multiple stages of the game, varied labyrinths, interesting world. Great starting point for the EO series for anyone imo

-Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 + 2
These are remakes of EO1 and EO2, in 3D, with redone soundtracks and for the first time an actual story added back in. Like, your party is preset characters with voice acting and anime tropes. You can choose to turn it off if you want. I got EOU1 and personally didn't enjoy it much because even remade EO1 was a rough game, maybe I'll go back to it sometime.

Also soon there will be Dragon Quest 7 and 8

Also helpful for me, as I like the RPG genre too. Stuff about Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey is definitely helpful, thanks! I suppose you don't really need to know about the previous games in those series to enjoy FE: Awakening or EO4?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Attestant posted:

Also helpful for me, as I like the RPG genre too. Stuff about Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey is definitely helpful, thanks! I suppose you don't really need to know about the previous games in those series to enjoy FE: Awakening or EO4?

if you know of marth that's all the backstory you need for awakening

and you don't even really need that

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Seagull posted:

if you know of marth that's all the backstory you need for awakening

and you don't even really need that

Ok good, because who the gently caress is Marth.

I haven't owned a Nintendo system or game since the SNES. :v:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
he's the blue haired man from smash bros

and now you have all the backstory you could possibly need

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You should just pretend Marth from Awkward Zombie is his canon personality, he's much better that way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Alright I got horse solitaire and I'm considering having someone hold on to my 3ds for a week or two because I have no way to stop myself playing this until I turn to dust.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
What's horse solitaire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Attestant posted:

What's horse solitaire?
It's a horse racing game where your horse's performance is based on how well you play golf solitaire

It's basically the most addictive game ever.

(The actual name of it is Pocket Card Jockey. It's really charming and fun.)