Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah it was because they thought Boba Fett was cool and also wore sleek space armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall reading something (completely unsourced, so this may be bullshit) to the effect that the intent back in 1980's Japan was that she was like a ronin, i.e. basically a mercenary. The difference between that and bounty hunter I guess is that you're still serving some kind of master instead of being basically a violent thug wandering the universe and doing whatever you like. Of course the primary difference to the player is that a bounty hunter has more agency than a hired soldier does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

in his mind she'd never do something like kill/capture people for money

Agreed, except in my mind it's because the money taints the purity of her love for violence and murder

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Captain Hygiene posted:

Agreed, except in my mind it's because the money taints the purity of her love for violence and murder

Yeah, Samus is definitely the “you killed my parents, I’m going to murder your entire species, and hunt down and murder the entire planet of the invasive species you love” type

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

I just discovered Signal Simulator, a game that has you playing as an employee of a SETI-like organization running a giant antenna array in the desert, with your only human contact being a helicopter that drops off supplies once a day. The isolation really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

I love that it has no qualms about loving with the player to build up paranoia.

Sometimes you can just hear faint footsteps or gurgling noises coming from behind you, and there's the occasional plane passing by in the distance with flashing lights on to make you think "is that a UFO?".

The best one, though, is that there's a monochrome screen on your desk that shows a video feed of where your antennae are pointed. It's usually just a dark green of empty sky, sometimes with the mountains if your elevation is set real low. On what was probably a very rare random chance, for a split second, it showed a view of the control room from the kitchen area behind my desk, with a strange black figure peeking around the doorframe at me

I thought I was just imagining it but then I watched Joel's stream of the game and he got it too :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Yeah, Samus is definitely the “you killed my parents, I’m going to murder your entire species, and hunt down and murder the entire planet of the invasive species you love” type

Not as simple as this given she spares the last metroid

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That's just to tell the others in case she missed any

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Oct 10, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

This is just basic business sense. Gotta make sure you don't wipe out all of the monsters, or else where will your next job come from?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fusion was a good game and excelled at what it aimed to do. And the bits of personality that they did give Samus in it really dont logically lead into Other M. Shes sober minded and calm and not the emotional wreck from Other M. In fact it retcons Samus not knowing the GalFed scientists are just one step removed from Space Pirate Science Team.

Sakamoto just had a huge brain fart and made her a submissive waifu, and I assume he either did not have that in mind for fusion, didnt have enough space/capability on the GBA, or had much more oversight and other experienced nintendo people who could shut him down working on it.

gently caress the authorization poo poo alone is bullshit.
God I hope Prime 4 is good

Fusion introduced Adam and he spends most of the game giving Samus orders and controlling where she goes and what she does, something that she's just cool with for most of the game. The plot is also literally about Samus being severely depowered. Don't get me wrong, it's still a far, far cry from Other M's in your face awfulness but you can certainly read some things into how Fusion is structured and connect some dots between it and Other M.

(For the record, I think the game itself is okay in a vacuum but it isn't actually a good Metroid game in particular.)

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

John Murdoch posted:

Fusion introduced Adam and he spends most of the game giving Samus orders and controlling where she goes and what she does, something that she's just cool with for most of the game. The plot is also literally about Samus being severely depowered. Don't get me wrong, it's still a far, far cry from Other M's in your face awfulness but you can certainly read some things into how Fusion is structured and connect some dots between it and Other M.

(For the record, I think the game itself is okay in a vacuum but it isn't actually a good Metroid game in particular.)

Yeah, there is a straight line between fusion and other M - you can see the evolution of how they want samus to be and how they want Metroid to play. Fusion is a good game, just not a Metroid game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fusion's environments and the SA-X really nailed the "alone in an actively hostile alien environment" tone. The linear structure and being constantly told where to go are what stand against the Metroid design philosophy, everything else was spot on.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose 'she's cool with being ordered around' is one way to read it, even with her inner monologue describing how she's only grudgingly accepting its commands due to needing to pay the Galactic Federation back for the new ship they provided her.

And Samus loses her abilities in most Metroid sequels. Not to mention the scariest/deadliest thing in the game, both mechanically and plot-wise is a fully-powered Samus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Saying that she is trans just because she is a buff woman is super lame and goes into :biotruths: territory. That seems to be the only reason people say she is trans.

I mean, I'm trans and I'm about Samus' canonical dimensions (6'4", roughly 200 lbs), so I think she's a good role model for gals like me.

But I guess it's lame to have those.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's just to tell the others in case she missed any

You always leave 1, cause dead men metroids tell no tales

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bony tony posted:

I mean, I'm trans and I'm about Samus' canonical dimensions (6'4", roughly 200 lbs), so I think she's a good role model for gals like me.

But I guess it's lame to have those.

I mean fictional characters arent a great role model for body proportions due to often being unrealistic. Good for representation perhaps but the problem is that cis women can be those proportions as well so jumping to the conclusion that tall or stocky women must be trans is kinda misogynistic.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Samus can be trans or just a buff lady shes a fictional person dont loving do this thread.

As long as we all agree Other M sucks I dont think we should devalue anothers interpretation of the character.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

It's cannon in my heart :colbert:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been down on some aspects of Control these past couple days but there's so much about it I love. It's oozing with style, for some reason one of my favorite little things is the giant text and little echoing "boom" noise whenever you enter a new major area

I don't even know why it works so well, but it's so good.

Remedy's games are great for this kind of stuff. Alan Wake is one of my favorite games ever not really because it does anything mindblowing, but because every single part of that game was touched by someone who actually gave a poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Part of me wants to replay Other M because I don't remember it being as bad as these forums make it sound.

The other part of me doesn't because the gameplay was tedious the first time through

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Just Offscreen posted:

Samus can be trans or just a buff lady shes a fictional person dont loving do this thread.

As long as we all agree Other M sucks I dont think we should devalue anothers interpretation of the character.

It’s this. Thank you

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Samus’ dimensions are a bit of an odd matter. Samus’ original design, the one where she’s super tall and ripped, was the result of a miscommunication I think. My recollection is that the designer asked for Samus’ measurements to draw what she looks like in the power suit, but the numbers they got back included the power suit. I cannot find a source on this, so if anyone can find anything to confirm or debunk this that would be great

In any case, I think that her current design is probably closer to what the creators of the original Metroid had in mind, although I do prefer the older one personally. I think the older one has a lot more personality than her modern iteration, in which she has a sort of generic superheroine physique that isn’t particularly inspiring. However, I do think that her current design is a little closer to the one that a person with her abilities in real life would have.

See, my one of my favorite things about Samus (getting back to the point of the thread!) is her unusual ability set. Samus isn’t anomalously strong or tough. She’s fairly strong, but she’s not breaking bricks with her bare hands. She’s pretty tough, but she’s not taking hits from Linels and hopping back up. She needs her suit for those. So, what sets Samus apart from the other Nintendo heroes? Why couldn’t just anyone put on that suit and do her job? It’s an ability that is otherwise practically unheard of in video game protagonists: she’s the ultimate contortionist. She can bend her body in ways that would literally kill a typical person and snap right back onto form in a second. It’s a very cool concept, and one which I am disappointed doesn’t seem to ever come up when she’s not in the suit. My ideal Samus would be muscular but lean, and employ contortion-based moves that are impressive but also kind of unsettling.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ariong posted:

She’s pretty tough, but she’s not taking hits from Linels get hopping back up. She needs her suit for those. So, what sets Samus apart from the other Nintendo heroes? Why couldn’t just anyone put on that suit and do her job? It’s an ability that is otherwise practically unheard of in video game protagonists: she’s the ultimate contortionist.

Is she? I'm pretty sure the morph ball is just magic chozo tech, and maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't remember anything else she does being particularly impressive, contortion-wise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What sets her apart is her insane bloodlust for pirates and dragons and her desire to scorch worlds

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure where you get the idea that she's a contortionist, unless it's because of the morphball. So far as I'm aware that's Chozo magical technology though; the morphball certainly is physically too small to include all the mass of Samus and her suit unless there's some kind of densification going on. The Space Pirates infamously tried to copy the tech and had to give up after mangling too many grunts. If it was just a matter of curling up real small then they'd've been talking about grunts with sprains and torn ligaments, not grunts getting squished into paste and torn apart.

Tangentially related, my other favorite strong female character is Lady from Devil May Cry 3.

Completely bog-standard human (genetically linked to an important historical figure, but not in any way that gives her special powers). Just ridiculously heavily armed and determined as hell not to let anything stop her. Granted that in the Devil My Cry universe that still lets you do things like one-handed handstands and surviving point-blank explosions.

Then from 4 onwards they sexied her up and she stopped getting action scenes. A common problem in the DMCverse -- every female character seems to go from badass to eye candy between games.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Snake Maze posted:

Is she? I'm pretty sure the morph ball is just magic chozo tech, and maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't remember anything else she does being particularly impressive, contortion-wise.

There’s a note you can find in one of the Metroid Prime games about how the space pirates are trying to reverse engineer Samus’ armor. The problem they run into is that what makes it special is the Morph Ball functionality, and while they are able to make armor that does that, anyone they put inside it gets decimated. Samus is the only one who can get her body in the shape required to wear armor that converts into a sphere slightly larger than a basketball. There’s no technobabble nonsense that makes it possible, she can just do that. At least, as far as I recall.

I forgot to mention it, but she’s also incredibly agile and acrobatic. It’s not as unique, but still cool. She’s like a one-woman-circus.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not sure where you get the idea that she's a contortionist, unless it's because of the morphball. So far as I'm aware that's Chozo magical technology though; the morphball certainly is physically too small to include all the mass of Samus and her suit unless there's some kind of densification going on. The Space Pirates infamously tried to copy the tech and had to give up after mangling too many grunts. If it was just a matter of curling up real small then they'd've been talking about grunts with sprains and torn ligaments, not grunts getting squished into paste and torn apart.

Is that so? I hope not, I hate the idea that any fit person could put on Samus’ armor and do her job. Makes her less special, you know?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Ariong posted:

Is that so? I hope not, I hate the idea that any fit person could put on Samus’ armor and do her job. Makes her less special, you know?

Anyone can pick up a crowbar, but not everyone can be a Freeman.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The suit is also made for her right? Like the Chozo people made it for her or whatever. If anyone else tried to put it on I assume it'd electrocute them or something.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Ariong posted:

There’s a note you can find in one of the Metroid Prime games about how the space pirates are trying to reverse engineer Samus’ armor. The problem they run into is that what makes it special is the Morph Ball functionality, and while they are able to make armor that does that, anyone they put inside it gets decimated. Samus is the only one who can get her body in the shape required to wear armor that converts into a sphere slightly larger than a basketball. There’s no technobabble nonsense that makes it possible, she can just do that. At least, as far as I recall.

I always interpreted this as being because the space pirates just don't have tech on the level of the Chozo, not that Samus is really good at being a ball. I don't think they've ever shown her like, actually curling up inside the morph ball, it's always been unexplained because any explanation would be kind of silly and probably unnecessary.

Samus IS special, though. She's probably the only one in the universe who knows how to actually use the Chozo armor, given that she was raised by them. There's also presumably some kind of protections on suits like hers that prevent anyone not Chozo affiliated from using them, evil versions of Samus notwithstanding.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ariong posted:

I'm pretty sure there's only one currently-existing set of Chozo power armor in the universe and Samus owns it so frankly I don't think it makes much of a practical difference whether it's her or the armor.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ariong posted:

I forgot to mention it, but she’s also incredibly agile and acrobatic. It’s not as unique, but still cool. She’s like a one-woman-circus.

Yeah, she's agile and all, but I'm pretty sure she isn't just curling up for the morphball. In the Prime games you can sort of see the inside of the ball thought the slot, and you don't see Samus curled up, you see a whirling mass of light/energy. So probably there is some kind of technomagic going on there.

Doesn't make Samus less badass, but yeah, I don't think she's that much of a contortionist.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I mean it’s not like it’s ever just the equipment. She’s also got years of combat experience and the physical and mental skills to actually perform in combat. Giving someone an M4 and a set of night-vision goggles doesn’t make them a Green Beret

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

The suit is also made for her right? Like the Chozo people made it for her or whatever. If anyone else tried to put it on I assume it'd electrocute them or something.

Yeah, IIRC she basically got Chozo warrior caste training and they made the suit specifically for her. I dimly recall that using the suit properly also requires specialized mental training, some kind of meditative / mental control thing. I would assume that the suit is specifically tied to her personally, but given that under normal circumstances she can literally just make it vanish and reappear around her whenever she wants it's kind of a moot point. Notable exception being post-Fusion where the suit bonded to her enough that it had to be surgically removed when she got infected by the X parasite.

So in one sense, Samus is not special, in that anyone who got raised by the Chozo and expressed a desire for battle training could have gotten the same set of skills and gifts. But I'd argue that that's a specific enough background to qualify her as special.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Just Offscreen posted:

I remember a fancomic that had her only communicating through sign language because she was raised by bird people who didnt have vocal chords. That was nice.

It's over here https://plintoon.tumblr.com/post/137408356282/samus-and-phasma-i-spent-way-too-long-figuring

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, she's agile and all, but I'm pretty sure she isn't just curling up for the morphball

:shuckyes:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is it Prime 2 where you find datalogs of Space Pirate scientists trying to replicate morph ball technology but all their experiments result in broken spines?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
No, it's Prime 1, the game that also has Wave/Ice/Plasma Pirates. By Prime 2 they're pretty much just running around in a panic going "holy poo poo there are two of them we are so loving boned"

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
the Space Pirate Science Team is my favorite bit of random side-lore in any game. They try so hard.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lechtansi posted:

the Space Pirate Science Team is my favorite bit of random side-lore in any game. They try so hard.

But they will always have vapor for brains.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Seemed a relevant source for some of the Samus-chat:

So in the SM timeframe Varia-suit Samus is 1.9m tall.
And Kraid is HUGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Super Metroid Samus was really the best Samus version. 6'3" tall freight train of a woman that you could totally believe was an interstellar badass that hosed up pirates on the regular.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Oct 11, 2019