Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What was the old crouch

e: or the new one I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I get slapped by female characters so often that I should probably change my in-game name to Jack Sparrow. :smith:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I see a few pre-assigned meta groups like above, but I see more groups where BLM, SAM, and/or DRK were targeted and removed.

I usually assume the party leader hasn't cleared yet either.

As a SAM main I am occasionally annoyed by PF groups that explicitly exclude SAM as a job, but in fairness a whole lot of people who play the job are really bad at it.

Lol at people who put together "ideal comp" PF groups for ex primals though, or even for O5S / O6S.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Anyone optimizing party finder any more than no duplicate jobs and maybe an even melee/ranged split is guaranteed to be a terrible player.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
What is the problem with duplicate jobs?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I dunno I just randomly found this in my screenshots folder so here you go

If you don't like the gimmick, then gently caress you it made me laugh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alris posted:

What is the problem with duplicate jobs?

It reduces LB generation

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It reduces limit break generation by enough that in the dual-warrior group I was running Byakko in last night, we'd only just get 2 bars by the time we'd have to LB the second tiger's attack.

We did the mechanic like functional humans and it wasn't a big deal, but a lot of groups need that LB3 strategy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

It reduces limit break generation by enough that in the dual-warrior group I was running Byakko in last night, we'd only just get 2 bars by the time we'd have to LB the second tiger's attack.

We did the mechanic like functional humans and it wasn't a big deal, but a lot of groups need that LB3 strategy.

Does shake it off stack?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
While I can't say definitively, I don't think it does.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Verranicus posted:

Slap Emote
Is it really necessary to have this emote?
"...slaped...in the face"
Everytime I see that I get wrathful. I know it's just a game, but behind every Char is a real person, and i don't want to be a witness of this mindless Violence.
And from what i have seen, there are almost only male chars who are beating female chars.
You have changed the crouch emote for female miqo'te for a good reason (too sexual), so please, remove the slap emote because of unnecessary violence against female chars.
Thank you

in-static violence is NOT okay

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I managed to sucker some FC mates into coming to Seph Ex with me, and man, i didn't know how good it feels to NOT be the #2 damage dealer as the main tank for once.

Sadly, it proved quite difficult to 6-man Sephirot as we quickly found out, especially since both tanks always seemed to get green. It splits the colors evenly with 3 green and 3 orange, but Da'at still goes out with 4 tethers, which means two people die guaranteed. With like 20% echo we managed to power through, but that's not quite farming level.
We lost an FC mate and picked up some PF pubbies, and even then as a full 8 man team we ended up slower than the 6 man team. :( At least they didn't gently caress up mechanics too often and we more or less regularly killed him.
Still no bird, but i have hope again.

I should probably get around to Byakko eventually instead of rehashing old content, but my last DF Byakko normal clear had the two tanks deal 41% of the group's total damage, which really doesn't inspire confidence.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sephirot's bird doesn't play The Fiend, incidentally.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The upcoming WAR nerfs have brought out the usual boilerplate from the peanut galleries;

"Tanks aren't supposed to deal damage! You want to deal damage, be a DPS!"
"Ever think about, I dunno, maybe staying in tank stance?"
"The problem is with the [insert community here]'s obsession with fast killing and efficiency, and this is the devs trying to counter that!"

Bullsh*t. All of it.

Here's the truth; this game is made, by the devs, to encourage as much dps as possible. This is largely as a result of enrage timers and other dps checks. If you don't meet the dps check, you wipe, simple as that. And since we're not all uber gosu top .2% players of our classes, it means everyone has to pull their weight and a bit more. Every GCD not spent optimizing damage is a GCD that could mean Exdeath Meteor's your group instead of transitioning to Neo. So I say, let's get rid of enrage timers.

Why do we even have them any more? Every single encounter in this game is already gated behind either a player level or an item level. Barring certain exceptional circumstances, if you don't have the ilvl or character level to enter a certain duty, then you just can't enter it. So if a person has the ability to enter an duty, why further restrict their ability to complete said duty by imposing another arbitrary hurdle to overcome? SE apparently doesn't want people using DPS meters because reasons, yet they build encounters in a game that implicitly encourage the kind of behavior they say they are against. Fine. Do you want to stop this kind of stuff SE? Then stop it with the enrage timers.

Think about it. How great would it be for a close-knit group of average players, none of them top tier at their class, but all of them competent, to marathon their way through an encounter together. Maybe it takes them 60 minutes of straight fighting to clear OS4, but if they can do the mechanics then why impose the arbitrary hurdle of an enrage timer? By removing enrage timers, you can let tanks tank, healers heal, and dps can dps. The people who want to crush things ASAP with the best efficiency possible can still do so. That side of the game isn't changed. But for people who don't want to (or can't) do that, it would be another path to success that doesn't focus on insane dps optimization. Which, ostensibly, is what SE is trying to avoid.

Remove the enrage timers and you remove a large part of the impetus behind everyone trying to push out as much dps as possible. Right now, there is no choice; you either dps hard enough to avoid enrage/clear the check or you wipe. If SE is serious about not wanting the dps speed/efficiency meta to reign supreme, then they need to remove dps checks and enrage timers and let players choose whether they want to run a sprint or a marathon.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how old is that garbage of fakepost because if I have to find out about warrior nerfs from your bullshit gimmick I'm gonna be mad

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Must be a fresh pile because of the buffs Warriors got though many first complained it was a nerf.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how old is that garbage of fakepost because if I have to find out about warrior nerfs from your bullshit gimmick I'm gonna be mad

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/357148-The-time-has-come-to-get-rid-of-enrage-timers

two weeks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, joined a Byakko EX clear party and we couldn't get past Roar of Thunder because we weren't doing enough dps, lol

There was a SAM doing 2800, rip

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

Welp, joined a Byakko EX clear party and we couldn't get past Roar of Thunder because we weren't doing enough dps, lol

from the pull i got my 10th token from. christ.

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

The BLM peeking up from the bottom of that :stare:

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

that's the limit break

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lazy bastard never pulls his weight.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Limit Break must be a hacker, I see him sneaking into other group's parses all the time.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Renegret posted:

I dunno I just randomly found this in my screenshots folder so here you go

If you don't like the gimmick, then gently caress you it made me laugh.

I've been in several parties with Hank Hill and by god do they commit to the bit.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Slowly stockpiling materials for this loving thing for like 2 months and still got dicked over by umbrites with needing 77 of the goddamn things.

Now I just need to figure out a better hat to wear with this

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I haven't done the math at all, I just assumed you'd get more damage from everyone beating on byakko and using the tank lb3 than using the dps lb3, and if you have to use the healer lb3 you're probably not getting it done before enrage anyway.

Also mechanics are for cars.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there some PUG expectation on how heavily healers should prioritize raising DPS? I ask because I've been bitched out about it repeatedly and I don't know if, like, culturally speaking I am supposed to drop everything and hard-cast raise on some catgirl dragoon when there is one tank and two other DPS alive. Are you supposed to wipe it the moment a second person goes down? What is the deal here, or are dudes just dicks?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

DPS LB3 does like 30% of the tigers health or some poo poo? Tank LB3 is a huge dps gain

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I got 85 in the Fashion Report today. :)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I've been in several parties with Hank Hill and by god do they commit to the bit.
The first boss of Keeper of the Lake must be godly for propane jokes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I haven't done the math at all, I just assumed you'd get more damage from everyone beating on byakko and using the tank lb3 than using the dps lb3, and if you have to use the healer lb3 you're probably not getting it done before enrage anyway.

Yeah, tank LB all the while beating on Byakko should bring you way ahead. We couldn't do that in that group because of the dual warriors so we had to do it more the intended way. A bit of time beating on the tiger + dps LB 2 was more than sufficient so it wasn't terrible, and we still ended up way ahead of enrage.

Nessus posted:

Is there some PUG expectation on how heavily healers should prioritize raising DPS? I ask because I've been bitched out about it repeatedly and I don't know if, like, culturally speaking I am supposed to drop everything and hard-cast raise on some catgirl dragoon when there is one tank and two other DPS alive. Are you supposed to wipe it the moment a second person goes down? What is the deal here, or are dudes just dicks?

Res RDM > SMN > good players > the chaff. If you can afford a hard cast res, a damage down dps that plays properly will make up the damage difference. If you have to keep people alive, saving people is more important than resses. If you can't afford a hard cast res, and swift is down, they can watch the fight. But dudes are just dicks so you'll never make everyone happy.

Some first-time clear groups will wipe on an early death, if you're hitting enrage with too much HP to spare.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Res RDM > SMN > good players > the chaff. If you can afford a hard cast res, a damage down dps that plays properly will make up the damage difference. If you have to keep people alive, saving people is more important than resses. If you can't afford a hard cast res, and swift is down, they can watch the fight. But dudes are just dicks so you'll never make everyone happy.

Some first-time clear groups will wipe on an early death, if you're hitting enrage with too much HP to spare.
My FC was doing Delta for the first time, and after we were farming Exdeath for weapon pieces. This only happened on the last guy; considering we had a free DPS slot I think all the other DPSes were just happy they got to find a party, possibly in swift time.

RDM gets priority over SMN because of Dualcast, right?

What is also frustrating to me is when it seems like I cast Raise, I'm within range of the guy, and it just vanishes into the aether. Does that mean the DPS declined it, was there some server fuckery? I've been using a rez macro in order to stop my colleagues from blowing their Swiftcasts.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Uhhh, guess pvp matches can tie, like how the gently caress does this even happen

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

RDM gets priority over SMN because of Dualcast, right?

What is also frustrating to me is when it seems like I cast Raise, I'm within range of the guy, and it just vanishes into the aether. Does that mean the DPS declined it, was there some server fuckery? I've been using a rez macro in order to stop my colleagues from blowing their Swiftcasts.

Yeah, an RDM can get ressed, pop a res, and be at combat effectiveness minus their debuff. A summoner can pop up, swift res (if it's up), and have no pet and/or have hosed up aetherflow.

Do you mean they lose the res buff, or never gain it in the first place? I have to be careful with my macro because it clips the swiftcast if I go too fast, and won't actually cast. If they otherwise gain/lose the buff, they could have declined it, but it takes a few seconds to decline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, an RDM can get ressed, pop a res, and be at combat effectiveness minus their debuff. A summoner can pop up, swift res (if it's up), and have no pet and/or have hosed up aetherflow.

Do you mean they lose the res buff, or never gain it in the first place? I have to be careful with my macro because it clips the swiftcast if I go too fast, and won't actually cast. If they otherwise gain/lose the buff, they could have declined it, but it takes a few seconds to decline.
They never gain it, as far as I can tell. Clipping might be doing it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

The vast majority of the groups I've had only just manage to skirt under 25% and the only time I've gotten groups where it was at 1% was Goon FC runs.

Reiterpallasch posted:

from the pull i got my 10th token from. christ.
How many stacks of weakness did that DRG have to manage that? Brink of brink of brink of brink of death?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dont actually recall them dying that much, they were just really really bad. like i remember looking over during the first jump attack and the dragoon's ~*~opening burst~*~ was lower than mine.

no, scholar doesn't actually have any dps cooldowns to burst with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cleric stronk

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

i dont actually recall them dying that much, they were just really really bad. like i remember looking over during the first jump attack and the dragoon's ~*~opening burst~*~ was lower than mine.

no, scholar doesn't actually have any dps cooldowns to burst with.

*points to Dissipation*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
HoooOOolly gently caress just got in under the wire and cleared O7S before the reset. It turns out the chief skill in pugging savages is finding a party who's willing to hang out with you for upwards of three hours.

O8S looks like some bullshit.